Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hellburger99 posted:

I agree with you, but you know if they made an alien game with a female protagonist that a sizable portion of the fans would bitch that it wasn't Ripley's daughter.

I really don't think a single person would do this. Ripley's daughter is an almost apocryphal part of the Aliens canon (or lack thereof, as is the case), she's mentioned in a short scene from the director's cut of Aliens with like two or three lines devoted to her. No one would care if her story was never told, because the whole point of that scene was that she grew old and died, not that she became Ripley 2.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Tracula posted:

And those few minutes of mention are all you need for Aliens to give context for her being so strongly maternal to Newt. Ripley is still in the mindset of being a mother and of course blah blah blah, that's another subject. Again my original point is leave Alien and Aliens the gently caress alone for once for chrissakes. It has a million other problems but one issue with Colonial Marines is that it feels this need to reference every single thing ever from Aliens. In Isolation I have a feeling we're gonna have some nav computer called, I dunno, Father. We'll see a drinking bird on a table after we get out of cryosleep. There's gonna be an android somewhere who may or may not gently caress us over. Could even tie in Prometheus somehow somewhere. I know again I'm being all :spergin: and :goonsay: about this but I'm trying really, REALLY hard to be optimistic and it's hard.

I'm pretty sure they've already shown the drinking bird :eng101:

In any case you're right. It's cool that Isolation is leaning so heavily on this very specific aesthetic in order to recapture the style of the movie. That's fine. But use that as a framework for your own storytelling instead of just filling it with arbitrary references like that; it lacks confidence, and all it really tells us is "hey remember that movie that was way cooler than this? Here you go!". Colonial Marines was That: The Game. It's completely missing the point, and this is one reason why we never have good licensed games anymore.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 5, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I do like SH 1 a whole lot, but I never thought it was very scary. I played it after 2 and 3, though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Room is a really lovely-rear end awful terrible loving game to play, but I still think it has the best writing and some of the best atmosphere in the series. Walter Sullivan is an incredible character.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I always wanted to love the PS3 Siren, because it's such an effective horror game, and one of the most visually impressive ever made, but there's so much trial and error in those games that I find them pretty insufferable to actually play.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'd definitely classify Demon's Souls as a survival horror game as much it is an RPG. Dark Souls not as much, but there's still great levels of tension there, and it has a pretty thick atmosphere based around death and decay.

Bloodborne looks to be much more of a horror game than either one, though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If you like lovely-looking scary games you should play Ecstatica. It's a pre-Resident Evil fixed camera angle/tank control adventure game where you run around a deserted village and are being hunted by this werewolf through large stretches of the game. You can die right the start by tripping over a rock running away from it, it's awesome.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

catlord posted:

It's based on spheroids rather than polygons, so it looks bizarre, an I believe it's done by some of the guys who did the original Alone in the Dark. I haven't played it, so I can't speak too authoritatively about it. I hear the controls might be a bit funky?

I love Alone in the Dark, though, I've been thinking of playing Ecstatica at some point.

The controls are very funky as it's a tank control game played with the arrow keys. I do think it's a really cool game though, it reminds me of :siren:ANOTHER WORLD:siren: a lot in that it just throws you into this world and tells you to go without any direction. It's kind of non-linear, too, and you can beat it in like 20 minutes if you know the correct route. Tons of custom animations, too.

It's maybe hard to go back to because of the controls/graphics, but it's one of those games that was so way ahead of its time it's pretty crazy to look at now, and the atmosphere is stilll kind of awesome. It makes Alone in the Dark look like a completely primitive piece of poo poo.

Finally getting the upper hand on that loving werewolf is one of my most satisfying gaming moments ever. I couldn't play it for the longest time because of how much of a relentless gently caress you the first 5 minutes of that game are.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 12, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

It's probably best to just think of SH2 as one accidental piece of genius and stop mourning the wasted potential of the rest of the series.

Nah, sorry, 1-3 and Shattered Memories are really great, and 4 is half-good. The rest of the series can go to hell though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't mean to say they're bad, just a lot more mediocre than people want to admit. Everybody really wants to judge the series by its high point, but the rest just doesn't really measure up to it.

Not really. 2 is the worst playing of the three, easily. Each game of that original trilogy does something better than the others. 1 has the most satisfying structure/progression and is more focused on exploration, 2 has the best story and atmosphere, 3 has the best gameplay, art design and (arguably) soundtrack.

I love 2 a lot, but it's the last one I would want to replay anytime soon. I don't think it's fair to use phrasing like "more than people want to admit". I know full well what my opinion on those games are.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 12, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Volt Catfish posted:

Hello maybe it's because I'm watching it in LP format (Hell, that's definitely why) but Fatal Frame doesn't seem anywhere near as scary as I remember people saying it was like 8 years ago.

The first one almost hit it, but now there's something about 2 that feels even less scary. Maybe it's having a sidekick with you...Maybe I should just play them myself.

Yeah, you should. Obviously there's no tension when you aren't playing it.

For my money the Fatal Frames are the scariest games ever made. There's just something about the feudal Japanese setting combined with the very unpredictable behaviour of the enemies that makes them super harrowing. I thought being chased by Calamity was much more terrifying than Nemesis, Pyramid Head or the ghosts in SH 4. I think each game has a section where you have to enter a crawlspace and it always sets my hair on end like nothing else.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Number Two Stunna posted:

I played through Quake 1 single player recently, and the later episodes are like playing through some terrifying nightmare. The abstractness and malevolence of the level design and aesthetics make the game really unsettling.

Yeah, if they ever revisit Quake, I hope they'll try this aesthetic again instead of the Strogg bullshit. Many of those early 3D games don't hold up, but stuff like Quake and Thief totally do on the strength of their weird, abstract atmospheres and excellent sound design.

I actually just picked up a copy of King's Field 2 (US 1). I love the Souls games and I've played a bunch of KF4, but I always thought the early KF games looked way too primitive to be effective. I checked out an LP and found that this totally is not the case, so I'm looking forward to playing that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Brackhar posted:

Where did you find your copy? I was looking online for a good seller just last night.

I was actually lucky that a local retro shop had it in stock for about $20 (I don't know if the PAL version is cheaper, though). I'll have to wait and see if it's in good shape, though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Volt Catfish posted:

Will this one also not be localized? :(

I don't think Nintendo can afford to not localize something people are actually interested in on the Wii U, but who the gently caress knows it's Nintendo so maybe it won't come out in Europe or some horseshit like that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Just started playing the first King's Field and yeah, despite how primitive it looks, the atmosphere is really something else. It looks just sparse and abstract enough to feel more weird and unnerving than straight up ugly, and the music is loving awesome. Everything can kill you very quickly of course, and it has that really great sense of danger and exploration by giving you a safe spot early on from which you can gradually venture further out.

You wouldn't think so at first glance, but the moment where you enter a new area and the music changes is genuinely tense.

My favourite moment was when I decided to check every wall for hidden passages and suddenly this hole opened up and a bunch of spears came out and stabbed me in the face, it was great.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Maybe they should work on making a new Resident Evil that isn't completely terrible. No grinding, no multitudes of character switching, just someone locked somewhere dark with zombies. Not that difficult a concept!

Check this out tho, what if we put minimal effort into re-releasing one of our old games instead?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

If you gave any of the early RE games decent RE4-like controls you wouldn't feel vulnerable anymore either.

RE4 controls exactly like the other games, the only thing that changed was the perspective :ssh:

Cardiovorax posted:

I think a lot of people misremember how scarce ammo really was in the old games. It felt very scarce, because you wasted a lot of it by not being able to aim properly and because dodging was a nightmare, but I still regularly ended up with a pile of handgun bullets in excess of 100. The camera angles and lovely controls contributed much more to the difficulty than the actual game design did.

Ammo in RE 1 and 2 at least was never scarce. All the times I've beaten those games I've killed every enemy I've come across and I've never even gotten close to running out.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Genocyber posted:

Ammo was never scarce, neither were ink ribbons if you were a bit frugal. I played the classic Re games for the first time a few years ago, and the only time there was ever any suspense for me was in 3 due to Nemesis, and even then not much.

I felt Re4 was a great step for the franchise to take, going from unintentionally hilarious to intentionally hilarious a la cheesy action horror movies, but then they kinda dropped the ball from that point on, making them waaaay too serious.

I honestly don't know how you can describe anything that goes on at the end of RE5 as being too serious. I don't particularly care for that game either, but that's not a complaint I would levy against it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

I think Pathologic will suddenly a lot less popular and charming once people can understand what's actually happening. The plot is actually really kind of dumb once you know what it's about.

I think we're forgetting the fact that it's still an Ice-Pick Lodge game. Just because they're retranslating it doesn't mean it will actually be even remotely understandable in the conventional sense.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Normal Adult Human posted:

Knock-Knock is out.

It's been out for like a year?

I really liked it. There's not really much to it, but if you go into it knowing nothing it's one of the most surreal experiences I've ever had with a game, probably.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Barfing Cumlord posted:

Did you guys not play Downpour? It definitely had its share of flaws (enemies being boring and variety being super minimal) but I thought the rest of the game was really well done.

Yeah, I played Downpour. I thought it was exceedingly poorly made (like the loving framerate, jesus christ), and all of its decent ideas couldn't make up for atrocious atmosphere and just the laziest monster designs. It's a lovely game.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Which game is better/scarier out of Amnesia, System Shock 2, Fatal Frame 2, and Clock Tower 2? Those are the non RE/SH survival horror games I hear the most about. Survival Horror is one of my favorite genres, but I haven't played much outside of RE and SH and Eternal Darkness. RE 1, RE2, SH1, SH2, and ED are probably all in my top 30.

I'm one of those people that believes RE fell apart at RE4.

Dead Space was a letdown. It wasn't scary because you were always too overpowered.

System Shock is the best of those games (and I'll contest the idea that it hasn't aged well), but the least scary. Fatal Frame is your best bet, then Amnesia. You didn't mention Alan Wake, and to be fair it's not much of a survival horror game, but it is pretty good. Also check out the PS3 Siren.

If you haven't played Clock Tower 1, you should, it's excellent.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 13, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

So regardless of the combat, which I've heard is like the worst in the series, is Downpour actually a scary game? I really liked Silent Hill 1-3, liked the first half or so of 4, and played through Homecoming even though I can't remember a single scary thing happening in that game. I never got around to Downpour, but the news about Del Toro / Kojima teaming up has me really excited, so I thought it might be worth checking out.

I didn't think so. Tonally it reminds me of something like The Suffering in that it mostly resembles like some nu-metal music video, and thus nothing about it is really scary. It's probably a better game than Homecoming, but as crappy as that game played, I thought it had some good scary moments which Downpour just does not.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

No, because jump scares are by nature unexpected and without context.

90% of jump scares are in horror films are totally expected, though. They're rarely done without any obvious build-up, you just don't know the exact moment or the nature of them, which is why they make you jump. I don't really see much of a distinction between that and Freddy's - they're both moments that attempt to shock you with quick scary imagery and loud noises; the circumstances don't really change that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

Speaking of Alan Wake, what did you guys think of that as a horror game? I actually thought it could be pretty drat scary at moments and being lost in the woods I think is an underutilized setting for horror. I grew up next to a big forest though so maybe it's ingrained into me in a way.

I never thought Alan Wake was particularly scary, but it did have some good atmosphere. The pacing is my main problem with that game - it peaks about 3/4ths of the way through and then just keeps going long after I got tired of the mechanics.

al-azad posted:

This is a cool idea. I always liked liches in D&D with their phylactery you have to hunt down. You could have an entire encounter where you're in a mansion or something being stalked by an immortal creature that can't be killed until you find whatever object it's tied to.

The new Dark Souls 2 DLC actually has an area that's a bit like this where you encounter a bunch of these huge ghostly soldiers that take forever to kill and can gently caress you up real easy since you can't break their attacks. Later on you find their corpses hanging on the wall in this big tomb, and destroying them makes them corporeal and super easy to kill. It was a really great moment.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 21, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

Isn't it heavily alluded to that he wrote Max Payne or something similar to it? You kinda have to love that hammy type of dialogue to enjoy the game, I feel.

Alluded to is a bit of an understatement, those are the books he's famous for, and they parody Max Payne pretty hard in some parts of that game. Sam Lake even appears in one of those FMV interviews and he does the Max Payne face.

In hindsight the lovely FMV sequences were the best parts of Alan Wake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjY1WDz8TpI

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

He keeps working there because it's a joke. See, it's funny because it's not something anyone would logically do in real life.

Jesus goony christ

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

3 had a level of production value and variety that you just don't see in horror games anymore. Like at the time it was one of the best looking games in the world, and they packed a ton of weird, unique little effects and sequences in there just to bolster the atmosphere. It's the most "setpiece-y" of the Silent Hill games, but I think it's more replayable because of it. I actually enjoyed the act of playing through it multiple times in quick succession, which I never did with the others.

Also for my money it has the best soundtrack in the series.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Silent Hill 4 is an obtuse, crappy game that's never entertaining and I kind of hate it and never want to play it again.

BUT, the writing and atmosphere is actually incredible. The things it did with the apartment are super effective and creative, and Walter Sullivan is the best character in the whole series, or pretty much any horror game. The entire thing is essentially a character study of him, and for the most part it's incredibly well-done and extremely evocative in terms of constantly making you feel like something is loving wrong.

I think it is a game that is worth playing exactly once.

Edit: Also I loving love that they made a whole game about a character that's only briefly mentioned in a document in Silent Hill 2. God, there's so much squandered potential in this whole series.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Aug 26, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

People have said this before, but I really do not remotely get why. Sullivan's an idiot and his motivation is pure nonsense. hey dude, your apartment is my mom, so i'm gonna lock you up in her and haunt you with a buncha ghosts, kbye "Best character" is something else.

Silent Hill is a series that's all about abstract concepts and vague allusions to things like heaven and salvation. It's dreamlike logic, and you laying it out in the most literal manner possible and saying "that doesn't make sense!" doesn't really accomplish anything. Maybe that's a flimsy argument, but I'm not sure what you want me to say; he's a crazy fanatic serial killer, his clear motivation isn't really the thing that makes that character.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 26, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't know, really. You're the one who said Sullivan's the best written character in any horror game. I figure you'd know the reason why you're saying that.

Because the game explores a character's psyche and perspective in a way that no other game does. Everything about that world revolves around him; the game gradually builds up all these little threads that converge into an incredibly disturbing portrait of this character and the ways in which he views the world. It's not only the writing, but also the visuals, the music, the thematic variation in the environments and just generally in the way that game presents its revelations. I think it's incredibly effective and it lends that character a level of depth that you generally don't see in the genre.¨

I think it is really loving cool, enough to elevate a game that I otherwise think is complete garbage.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Whats everyone's thoughts on the Fatal Frame games? Should I play them?

Yeah. As far as I'm concerned they're the best (only?) example of a horror game mixing a genuinely scary atmosphere with legit fun gameplay.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's too bad, a lot of otherwise worthwhile Japanese games sabotage themselves like that.

Though not technically a game, Saya no Uta is one of the most effective, disturbing horror stories I've ever read, but you know let's just throw some porn in there too why not

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Crappy Jack posted:

I still can't tell if not being able to understand a goddamn thing anyone is saying was a huge boon to the game or not. Added to the horrifying feel of everything when everybody in the world talks in word salad and you feel like the only sane person.

It's an Icepick Lodge game, a better translation doesn't mean it's suddenly going to be even remotely cogent or sane.

I own the original, but never played it a whole lot. Did they say it took them 3 years to write up the new scripts in the video? There must be an inordinate amount of text in there, I'm assuming the retranslation is mostly to establish strong consistency and tone rather than making it read like a Dan brown novel or something.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 5, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That's weird, because I never even knew there was a sanity "meter" and an accompanying fail state in Amnesia until I read about it on the internet long afterwards. It seemed entirely organic to me, and I never worried about maintaining it at all.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think 2 is a better game as well, though 1 definitely has a cooler setting.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

cat doter posted:

I'd say REmake is pretty squarely in horror rear end horror territory, it still manages to be cheesy in places but atmospherically and gameplay wise, it's a big, BIG step up from the original. The outdoor areas and the cabin in particular are just creepy as all poo poo.

Seriously I'm SO GAY for REmake, it's so loving good.

Yeah, while the series has plenty of jump scares, the REmake is the only one that actively tries to put on a genuinely creepy atmosphere and it's loving good. In fact I'd say that it's one of the best horror games ever in terms of art design and sheer graphical fidelity - it's a game from 200-loving-2 and it still looks absolutely incredible. It's one of those few games, of any genre, that just gets everything right.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Also both The Room games. They're mostly just about solving puzzle boxes, but have amazing atmosphere and there are a few good, super creepy "oh poo poo" moments.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Niggurath posted:

So speaking of Resident Evil 4, has anyone heard anymore about Evil Within? It seems to not be getting much press coverage and I haven't seen any mention of a demo, or much in the way of a playable demo at any conventions. So with it being released in a month, I'm kinda wondering if this is a bad sign at all cause the trailers and some of the talks regarding it initially made it seem interesting as hell and like an actual survival horror game.

From what I've heard it's basically RE 4's controls set in the original RE 4 setting, so there'll be lots of mansions and spooky occult poo poo, with tougher monsters stalking you constantly and a general focus on exploration and backtracking. Apparently there's a system like in the REmake where you have to burn corpses or they'll get the gently caress back up. It sounds really cool, but I also get the feeling that people looking for a spiritual successor to RE 4 are going to be disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ManOfTheYear posted:

Are there any good LPs of horror games? I love the sense of seeing somebody to explore the game and trying to figure out what's what, but most of them aren't any good. I've mostly watched TFS Krillin plays but the screaming gets on my ears and some Besdt Friends LPs, which are alright.

It's not strictly a horror game in the traditional sense, but I remember really liking Cannibalk9's LP of The Void. I could never get into it myself, but it is a legitimately unnerving, horrific, endlessly fascinating game.