Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Doctor Bishop posted:

The long and short of SOMA's setting is that it's basically a professionally-written (and thus actually decent) take on the SCP Foundation, an amateur collaberative writing project that's meant to be a distillation of the "warehouse full of crazy poo poo the world shouldn't know about" fiction setting, but, since it's a collaborative writing project on the Internet, is 90% crap at best. Those videos are basically just the video accompaniment of SOMA's equivalent of the SCP Foundation's "containment document" articles.

Uh, where did you hear this from? Because last I knew, all Frictional had said is that they want to explore the idea of consciousness and then had gone back to their customary total silence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The OP has a bit on Anna.

quote:

I finally bought it because it was on Steam for $2. It's a story heavy horror adventure with some great concepts that just falls apart in the gameplay. It takes all the worst things about old adventure gaming logic and marries it with a painfully clunky interface. Even the Extended Edition, which was recently released and has improvements to the inventory and controls, is a chore to use. Still it has some good ideas buried in the mess, some uniquely done scares, and an overarching theme touching on women's roles in society throughout history. If you love working through difficult puzzles you might get something out of this.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Cardiovorax posted:

What's the gameplay actually like? I have no idea what you do in that game.

You point and click on static cameras in order to keep track of where the robots are and seal the doors to your booth before they can get in. But you can't just keep the doors permanently closed because that drains a limited power supply, as does using the cameras.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Mans posted:

Getting my hands on Outlast, any other games of the sort out there for the PC? I don't think i've ever found a more thrilling game than Dead Space, it kinda ruined every other horror game for me.

I don't understand how you can spend an entire post scorning "babby poo poo for youtube scarecams" and then say Dead Space, a game that assaulted you with an entire orchestra every time a shadow moved, is the most thrilling game you've ever played.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Republicans posted:

I thought Dead Space was pretty fun as a shooter. It's like what Doom 3 was trying to be.

1 is a solid shooter and 2 is loving fantastic as an action game. They're worthwhile in that respect.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

papasyhotcakes posted:

This may not be the place as some may not consider the game strictly horror, but the creators of Pathologic have launched a kickstarter for a remake of the original.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1535515364/pathologic

The original is considered a masterpiece of athmosphere, with an inevitable sense of doom as the plague slowly devours the town as the days pass and you can only watch and try to find a way to stop it. It however suffered from an extremely bad translation and the game itself was also buggy. This remake wants to fix it and with the 9 years of additional experience they have at their backs now I think they can do it.

I love how the $3,000 tier is already almost filled out.

I would buy it if I had the money.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Oxxidation posted:

Icepick Lodge is one of those jank-rear end Western studios that gets a pass because everything they do is unique and at least partially functional. They're also constantly learning from mistakes, so I hope they stay around for a while longer.

Ice Pick Lodge is Russian (and Pathologic was a much bigger deal there than it was in the West). Everything else in your statement is true though.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Accordion Man posted:

As Jimbo referred to, The Suffering is more of an actiony horror like Dead Space but it still is real neat and has some really good atmosphere and more solid writing than you would think. I recommend it, just avoid the sequel, it sucks.

The PC version is also freeware.

To clarify on this, the freeware version of the Suffering that will come up when you search on Google was ad-supported. The game needed to connect to Midway's servers in order to pull those ads and as Midway no longer exists, the game is unplayable.

I'm not certain how :files: the whole issue, but you can find functioning versions of the game in the usual places.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
why are you console trolling in the horror games thread

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
That video doesn't really sell the game very well because apparently Pete Hines is awful at video games. The third time he died and got sent back to the brain thing, I gave up.

Also apparently, a guy shows up and randomly reduces you to 1 health which is, uh, an interesting mechanic.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Xoidanor posted:

I need video of this. I can't get the image of some dude in a white sheet running up to the PC and yelling "Boh" out of my head.

This is literally what happens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0asG2RMulHE

Happens the first time around 4:00 minutes and again around 17:30. The second time he mentions that he was taking too long, so maybe its supposed to keep you from just huddling in a corner and waiting for your anxiety to drop? Still seems annoying, especially since resources seem hard to come by.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Kulkasha posted:

From the gameplay footage it looks like ghostydude just teleports in and gooses you, which is a lot less tense than a trackable, towering dahaka or something.

The stream where ghostydude makes an appearance, for reference. He makes an appearance at around 4 minutes and about 17:35, and probably more because I haven't watched the whole thing. He can appear during fights, during opening doors, behind you, and in such close quarters that there's zero chance to escape. People who have played the demo have reported that he can appear at points where you are completely vulnerable and unable to escape and is totally random.

If that's the case, its a completely poo poo mechanic that has nothing on Nemesis or the Dahaka or whatever.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

DeathChicken posted:

This all makes me think that if RE4 were just now coming out and they made it a point in the trailers to show off how the chainsaw guys could jump and one-shot you, man, that game would have blown, don't bother playing.

I too remember how the chainsaw guys/plagas in RE4 instantly appeared behind you with no warning.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Len posted:

This guy in the last page strongly hints that it's gonna be a poo poo mechanic.

Clever Spambot posted:

Did anyone actually say the game will definitely be bad in the last page or so? I'm legit curious who len is arguing with that is saying the game will 100% be awful because a mechanic in the promotional material looked bad.

I've highlighted all the words in my post where I definitively say The Evil Within will be a bad game.

1stGear posted:

TEW looks like it has a lot of interesting points (though I doubt its going to be some earth-shattering event) but having a ghost dude just pop up and hit you in the face is a poo poo mechanic regardless of what part of the game its in. From what we've been presented with, there's really no reason to believe it'll improve the game.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
There's a no-commentary playthrough of the game starting here.

I really hope the textures aren't that bad on PC cause drat.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Dumb_Rodent is working through an extremely well-done LP of Outlast. Its worth checking out if you're on the fence about the game.

That said, while I think it did try too hard, its definitely a game worth picking up on sale and I'm looking forward to what Red Barrels tries next. Hopefully they progress in the same way Frictional did.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Gann Jerrod posted:

Looks like work on Five Nights at Freddy's 2 is going well, a demo should be out shortly. In the meantime, some Youtubers were given early access to it, here's HarshlyCritical's playthrough of the first and second night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS7dogf0GTo. It seems a bit more frantic than before, and it doesn't seem clear when it is safe to remove the mask sometimes.

Looks like a full-blown spinning plates game now. Keep the music box playing, keep the flashlight on Foxy, keep track of 5 animatronics, keep the mask up but not for too long, and so forth. I almost wonder if the franticness will reduce the scariness.

Len posted:

Apparently Five Nights at Freddys is A Thing for elementary school kids too. I work at a day care and theres a couple kids that keep asking to watch Five Nights at Freddys Markiplier videos on my phone. It's so weird.

One of the house's in the neighborhood had a Slenderman mannequin out front all of October. Truly, we are the real monsters.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
HarshlyCritical also has a magnificent ability to time his sarcastic quips. 6:35 if the timecode doesn't work.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
People got motion sickness from HL2 when it was first released so I imagine it on the Rift would be a non-stop vomit comet.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

My concern is they're just going to slap his name on it, like they started doing with a lot of movies once he started getting well known. Is there any indication yet of how involved he's going to be with the actual production design?

The little concept trailer they showed a few months back felt pretty Del Toro. Especially when the door slammed into the opposite wall and opened up, which is so loving Del Toro I started spontaneously speaking Spanish.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah. Devs have been pretty quiet for a while but IIRC one of them post a big rant about how A:I ripped them off or something

al-azad has already explained why this is stupid but if a game is announced several years after your game was, is completed, released to critical acclaim, and also releases several DLCs while your dev team has produced all of like two trailers, then you deserved to get ripped off.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I just put the clues together in terms of FNaF 3, the suits, and the original game's murders. :stonk:

Don't leave us in suspense about the intricate lore of Five Nights At Freddy's

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

ayn rand hand job posted:

that kinda looks like alien: isolation

Its another cheap indie knockoff.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Routine sounds different enough to be interesting. It has perma-death, which necessitates a huge change in design compared to Alien: Isolation. The robots and your methods for dealing with them looked significantly different and weaker. There were the sewers which were apparently kind of a bonus hard-mode area.

But the similarities to A:I are going to invite inevitable (and perfectly reasonable) comparisons. Since Lunar Industries doesn't have the money and manpower of a triple-A developer/publisher and isn't working with a well-established and beloved IP, its unlikely those comparisons are going to be favorable. Conversely, had they actually released the game in a timely fashion and it had been good, Alien: Isolation could have been the one being compared to it. But instead, Routine has lost a lot of its appeal and aesthetic advantage.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Accordion Man posted:

Jason's pretty much completely overshadowed her to the point where I'd say it retroactively become a twist that Mrs. Voorhees was the killer in the original movie and not her son.

Having only watched the first movie a few years ago and assuming that Jason was the killer, I can actually confirm that this is true.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Basticle posted:

Someone like Ubi would be even worse imo

Activision. :unsmigghh:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Hamshot posted:

I wonder what that will mean for this team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ook3KPzTD4w

which is an indie group doing the same thing.

If they're lucky, whatever studio picks the movie up will bring them into the team. Much more likely, it means they're going to be getting a cease and desist letter in a few months.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
This has to be one of the highest profile cancellations ever. One of the most famous game directors in the industry with a triple-A studio on an iconic series with a massive amount of hype from an extremely effective announcement. Whole different level from mid-tier studio Vaporware #346

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
If Konami's conference isn't just a solid hour of journalists screaming WHY YOU FUCKS, game journalism has failed.

More than usual.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Azran posted:

Kojima just took the opportunity to work on something else, something more profitable than video games

Can't wait for the die-hard Kojima fans to defend this as an artistic choice.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I've not played Evil Within but from what I understand, it goes from Silent Hill in the first three chapters to Resident Evil 4-2 for the rest of the game.

The most apt way I heard of describing The Evil Within is that its Silent Hill by way of Resident Evil.

Also the plot makes literally no sense unless you play the DLCs but the DLCs are actually pretty good .

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

What doesn't really make sense is what the player's actions during most of the game are meant to accomplish. You basically stumble through a bunch of basically disconnected levels with no idea about where you're meant to be headed or why, and occasionally stumble across a set piece that gives you some backstory on the villain. The game really feels like a bunch of different horror themed levels that were designed by separate people and pasted together at the last minute.

The DLC reveals that this is because Sebastian was accomplishing basically nothing. All he and Joseph were doing was stumbling around in confusion and distracting Ruvik while Kidman was doing the only thing that mattered: hunting Leslie.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Relin posted:

Does the dlc expand on why the game ends with them still being stuck in the alternate reality

They weren't. Ruvik successfully possessed Leslie and escaped.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Relin posted:

But Sebastian still gets that migraine that was established to only happen to people who were within the similacrum

Huh, yeah, had forgotten that. My only explanation that isn't supported by anything in the game is that its some kind of residual effect caused by seeing Leslie/Ruvik.

The end of the DLC makes it clear they're out of the machine in order to set up all the necessary sequel hooks.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Diabetic posted:

http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/05/29/silent-hills-reportedly-an-xbox-one-exclusive

Rumors stirring that it'll be exclusive to Xbone and win10...kinda stupid if true, you're biggest hype built on one console and sell it on another

The article itself points out incredibly bullshit it is.

-No one is going to pay "billions" for the Silent Hill IP, much less Silent Hills alone. However iconic the series is, its a niche genre and has suffered over the last few games.
-There's no way the game is "80%" done. Compare how much we've seen of Silent Hills (literally nothing) to MGS 5. P.T. and the leaked concept video was the entirety of marketing material that had been done for Silent Hills. Its likely the game was still in relatively early stages of development, possibly pre-production.
-There's no other indication Konami has started selling off IPs or is even interested in it at the moment.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Speedball posted:

They're being pretty good at keeping the whatever-it-is that's chasing you in Soma vague. All we see is a bunch of lights attached to something loud and clanky.

They did the same thing with Amnesia. Hell, the only time you could see a Gatherer before launch was if you sprinted to catch up with the one that briefly spawns in the demo.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

I'm hearing weird sounds and someone whispering that they know where I am.

Gotta take a leak. :geno:

It looks cool and all, but it mostly just reminds me that Silent Hills is never going to exist. :(

1stGear fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 2, 2015

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

HarshlyCritical got to play a preview version of SOMA. He couldn't upload the full thing, but he did show off a few minutes of unseen gameplay, including underwater segments and another enemy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZoM1BCwa60

Getting real pumped for this game. :getin:

Similarly, RPS got to play through the first three hours.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

papasyhotcakes posted:

Is he really a machine? How can he put this out so fast? It has been only like 3 months.

The games are mostly still images with some basic animation and deliberately crude graphics. They're pretty simple to pump out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Father Wendigo posted:

Gil Kenan, who directed the Poltergeist remake and wrote/directed Monster House, is currently tapped to be the director and co-writer for the Five Nights at Freddy's movie.

Poltergeist was competent and didn't take itself too seriously while at the same time not being total camp. Sounds like a good choice for a FNAF movie.