Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Can we talk about old Horror games? I loved Clocktower. Multiple characters (mostly defenseless), chase scenes like classic slasher flicks, and having to hide knowing the scissor-man could just flay you if he found you. One of the craziest things I remember was hiding in an office and the fax machine going off with "I'm coming to get you" scrawled on it. The second one was pretty bad, I think.

Remember Overblood? A weird little game that had touches of Resident Evil and System Shock. Dude is alone on the planet with aliens and I think the most he had was a handgun. It was fun in a time on PSX where anything could get published, no matter how weird or obscure.

Broken Helix was a weird little shooter where you infiltrate Area 51 (groan), but the main character is voiced by Bruce Campbell and the story has some twists and turns involving what exactly is going on with the alien presence there. Maybe closer to Half Life in theme, but definitely has some jumpy moments.

Love the Silent Hill series. I don't think that really needs much more explanation.

You should put The Evil Within on your list! Also The Order or whatever probably counts.

I'm also somewhat fatigued by the huge landscape of retro-facing indie games where they think a little white noise and pixelated Slenderman homages are enough to spook you - that game Lone Survivor comes to mind. Available on Steam.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I remember playing Braindead 13 on... Playstation 1? It was one of the first games I had for the system along with Doom, and all my friends were impressed because it was like "playing a cartoon". It was good, but really one of the most frustrating FMV titles to control. You had really, really swingy directions and there was somehow more death than Dragon's Lair.

I've been playing a few horror games lately - Five Nights at Freddy's, Outlast, The Evil Within, Alien: Isolation. I think Outlast is probably at the top of the heap, but like A:I it's so... exhausting to play. I feel fatigued and then I realize I've been holding my breath the whole time with the character.

Amnesia: Dark Descent is good, but I lost interest very early.

There's a fun game for like 1.95 on Steam called "Nosferatu: ??? of Malachi" or some poo poo. It's an old, old school FPS but with a twist - you're some badass fencing guy who gets invited to your cousin's wedding but when you show up at the castle everyone is dead or dying. You get weapons like a sword cane, muskets (in very limited amounts, you can even have multiple ones loaded and switch between the loaded ones firing off a volley), holy water, stakes, and a cross (only works on some of the undead enemies). It's actually kind of badass - the castle is randomized each time you play and there is a real time time limit on when your family members will be killed that pushes you through the game. It's relatively short, but the rogue-like castle and items lead to a lot of fun if you're like me and want to stake the gently caress out of vampires. Please note that when I say "old school" I mean this looks like a Half Life 1 mod or something.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Well, here's the thing. The enemy design is not great. But it is one of those fps immersive experiences like, say, Mirror's Edge where you can see your hands and feet and stuff interacting and feel like way more than just a floating head. Being unarmed can be really tense, and the nightvision stuff is pretty great. There are some cheesy jump scares, but there is a lot of looking down a dark hallway and feeling in the pit of your stomach, "gently caress, I really don't want to go there". I'll admit that a lot of the appeal for me is I *love* when FPS games do their best to not make you feel like a camera sliding around.

YMMV, yeah, but I got my money's worth.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Improbable Lobster posted:

I feel like Alien Isolation does pretty much everything that Outlast does without edgy genital mutilation and rape being limited to allusion via the Xenomorph.

I hesitantly agree with you, but I think Outlast still deserves a look if you like horror games.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Parachute posted:

Bring back Tecmo's Deception, please.

The Deception games still own. Getting the stupidest combos with rolling boulders and electric walls and stuff was hilarious. You could make a Rube Goldberg of death where the walls and floor bounce people around into the path of a flaming lava rock tumbling down the stairs.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm looking for games where you play as a monster hunter, preferably a vampire hunter. I know of Castlevania, Legacy of Kain, Blade, Buffy the Vampire, and The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing (even though you don't kill any vampires). Can anyone come up with some that are worth playing?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
AH well. Worth a shot. I can always consume some media where someone is shooting a vampire in the face with a musket or machine gun or something.

I suppose The Witcher technically counts, right?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The funny part about Van Helsing is nary a vampire is killed across 3 games.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The FNAF games are bad, the first one is good but you can get the full experience playing the demo.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Even though it's probably destined to be vaporware, I really like the idea of that new Camp Crystal Lake game or whatever where one dude plays as Jason and the others as hapless sexy teens.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The story of Evil Within is real loving bad, but if it had come out circa Silent Hill 1/2/Resident Evil1/2, it'd be acceptable because incomprehensible word salad for the background plot was par for course.
The actual gameplay not so bad.

I remember Nightmare Creatures 1 and 2. Never really liked 2, but had a friend who was insanely in love with it. In my head it's kind of the same game as The Suffering, only way worse. I also wouldn't say Nightmare Creatures 2's main character was cool or edgy. While it's true he had a trenchcoat, he was also a weird hunchback guy covered in bandages who was experimented on and didn't get any cool powers from it (from what I remember). The game was also real REEEVENGE but since afaik Crowley wasn't killed by a weird goon, the ending was "I never caught Crowley and im ugly"

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 4, 2017

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The video for Scorn is cool, but I don't know about the protagonist also being a Giger man with weird lobster guns. I really want to check out the story here.
E: I guess if he was Space Marine guy it'd be too generic, but also his weapons right down to the sound seemed pretty "normal" in function. Needs weird guns that don't just look weird. The "thrown into a weird world" would be a little more poignant if maybe the main character was a normal dude instead of a dude in a super bio-mech suit with a spike hand. :shrug:

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 5, 2017

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Behind the scenes of Isolation, the main affect of difficulty really only determines how short the tether the alien is to Ripley. The game is much more enjoyable on Easy or even the newer Novice setting - you still get all the scares and everything else, but the alien isn't constantly in the next room slowing down the progress and making you hide forever. You'll be far less frustrated, and the "rarer" alien appearances leave you more tense than annoyed that you have to sit in a locker forever.

The opening doors is kind of cool on controller. Man it sucks on m+kb.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Well, that happens in A:I, too. If you crouch walk everywhere and hide under desks and poo poo for no reason, the alien will eventually just find you. The best way to progress is walking (not running) but not idling around, either.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Maybe a low bar, but basically the best piece of Alien media since the Cameron sequel. I know there's some Alien3 apologists, and somebody will inevitably remember the Capcom AvP brawler or the FPS more fondly, but A:I is a drat fine piece of Alien. Also, not for nothing, but they completely nailed the look - A:I was scarier to me just because of how good it looks. The effects are baller

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
/\/\/\ I assume he means like AVP2. Nostalgia is a thing.

Let's be honest, the best part of any Alien game is the first 15 minutes where it's a Ridley Scott/James Cameron Walking Simulator with melted floors and hissing pipes that suspiciously sound like aliens. Then the alien shows up :shrug:
(A:I stretches that a good bit, and some of it's best moments in my opinion)

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
You are referring to the 2001 game? Is that too late to be nostalgic for? :kiddo:

Same year as like Silent Hill 2, Soul Reaver 2, MGS 2, Diablo 2, Baldur's Gate 2, the first DMC... Lots of 2s. I wasn't implying that AVP2 is a bad game or anything, but scarier than A:I? I don't know about that one.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 10, 2017

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Was that the one with the conga line of sync kill finishers?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Yeah, I really liked AVP2010 in MP. Anyone remember Aliens: Online? I have a vague memory of it, but it was aliens vs. marines, but you start off as a chestburster as an alien. It was cool. I also think someone on the server got to be the Queen.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
There's some good mods for State of Decay. One did something like multiply the amount of zombies in any given place (they are actually really sparse), and another made their bites deadly. With both of them, State of Decay became a roguelike where you are assigned a random character (when you die, you just respawn as someone else) with random perks and starting equipment and then get as far as possible. Had fun with it once those things were in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Blockhouse posted:

It's from the people who brought you Hatred and that game where you're on a turret shooting refugees if that tells you anything

I never heard of the turret game, but gently caress I forgot Hatred existed...