Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Some awesome early live-action teaser videos, found on the "Files" page of their website:
-Vivarium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLVOif6CHgE
-Mockingbird: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eytOzwyfiCA

I don't know what the hell is going on with those but I'm in.

The long and short of SOMA's setting is that it's basically a professionally-written (and thus actually decent) take on the SCP Foundation, an amateur collaberative writing project that's meant to be a distillation of the "warehouse full of crazy poo poo the world shouldn't know about" fiction setting, but, since it's a collaborative writing project on the Internet, is 90% crap at best. Those videos are basically just the video accompaniment of SOMA's equivalent of the SCP Foundation's "containment document" articles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Ebbder posted:

I believe the comparison started because of how each of the teasers focused on people in a facility learning about seemingly unconnected objects that have a kind of eerie twist on them.

Actually, the comparison started because the articles on the SOMA game's website bear a striking resemblance to the SCP Foundation's "case files" (though it seems the former have since been edited to remove some of the more telling little elements such as the object statuses that came before the main article).

Item #2656 - "Vivarium"

SCP-173 - "The Sculpture" - The original "case file" that led to the SCP site's existence in the first place, though it was originally posted on 4chan's creepypasta board (a fact which should probably explain a lot about why the site is overall lovely despite its neat concept all by itself).

Reason posted:

But did the devs give that synopsis of the game or like, did you just make it up? I thought that it was an actual game made by an actual developer.

It's not a synopsis of the game, but rather a description of what's been revealed so far about the game's setting.

But no, as far as I know, the devs themselves haven't outright said anything to the effect of "We were inspired by this wiki that pretends to be the database of a facility dedicated to containing and studying various unusual and potentially dangerous objects to set our next horror game in a facility dedicated to containing and studying various unusual and potentially dangerous objects that's since gone down the shitter, hence why we included on the game's website what purports to be an incomplete database similar to the one on that wiki."

Edit: I just realized this post might come off as condescending, but I'm simply trying to point out the similarities between the game and wiki that led to the comparisons in the first place.

Doctor Bishop fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 5, 2014

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

dijon du jour posted:

Oh noooo looking at the screenshots I think that's New Chicka and suddenly I'm remembering that "sexy Chicka" was kind of a "thing" among FNaF fanart. :gonk:

If you've only seen "sexy" stuff of one of the characters from that game while browsing fanart for it (why are you even doing that in the first place?), you're absurdly lucky.

Here's what happens when you're not so lucky.

Link is :nws:, naturally.

Edit: linked to be safe.

Doctor Bishop fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 22, 2014

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

Zombie Samurai posted:

P. Master Reboot

Apparently someone out there thought TRON would make a good horror setting, and they were half right. Master Reboot has you wandering around the Soul Cloud, a digital storage system for dead people. Something has gotten in there and is wreaking havoc, and you must pursue it through the memories of your dead friend. The digital aesthetic lends itself to clean, otherworldly graphics and a unique atmosphere. However, the puzzles don't follow much logic, there are some infuriating jumping puzzles, and the scares are all spooky little girl jumpscares. If you can stomach amateur hour game design it's a unique experience in terms of look and feel, but you're probably better off just watching a Let's Play.

The lighting in this really reminds me of Tangiers, an indie stealth game currently in development, which, while it isn't explicitly meant to be a horror game, has a highly surreal, disturbed setting, so it certainly has a distinct horror look and feel to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8le4yWmJyg

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

The Dregs posted:

With Halloween coming around I have been thinking of playing some horror games. I remember I tried out RE4 on the wii a few years back but never finished, partly because I dislike console gaming. It is 20 bucks on Steam, which is a pretty hefty price tag. Is it worth it?

One very big thing to note: I dunno how the Wii version controls at all, but if you're expecting a game with smooth third-person-shooter-type controls, avoid the PC version of RE4 at all costs. The controls are clunkier and more annoying than a thousand steel dog turds.

But if you don't mind your horror games having clunky-rear end controls, then by all means, ignore me and go for it.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

Funny that when I say the PC version of Resident Evil 4 controls like rear end, everyone assumes that I played the original version. Nope, it was the HD version, and honestly, I tried playing it with both keyboard+mouse and then with my Xbox controller when the K+M didn't work worth a poo poo. Sorry, but the controls are just plain rear end-tastic, especially going into it expecting something similar to Dead Space after hearing the two games constantly being compared to one another.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Resident Evil 4 also features tank controls that are so good, people don't even realize that they are tank controls.

This is patently false.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

See, I wasn't trying to say at any point that Resident Evil 4 was a bad game, because of, y'know, that being a really subjective thing and all, but simply that it has clunky controls, which it does. I mean, tank controls are by definition slow and clunky. Ya, I'll admit that I went overboard by calling the controls rear end-tastic and all that, but frankly, that came from my frustration going into the game expecting an experience with relatively smooth and intuitive shooter-type controls (again, due to it constantly being compared to later games that do have shooter-type controls like Dead Space) and getting... what Resident Evil 4 actually is.