Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Besides GoT and dragon lance and the black company, what are some of the best series out there? I don't care if it's cheesy like Dragon lance either, what are the good ones? I just got a Kindle and wanna buy tons of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Atlas Shrugged

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
i mean like dragons and magic and poo poo

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax
the bible

lol

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

The Audacity of Hope by Barack Hussein Obama

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

jesus christ lamb was pretty good

e: it's like fantasy with jesus where he does dragonball z type magic and poo poo

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I quit reading fiction when i was in highschool, and looking at amazon's website i see there are like 1 trillion fantasy novels and it's just overwhelming i really would like some guidance here

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I read GoT and the Black Company, then I read the Lies of Locke Lamora and I liked it too.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

I read GoT and the Black Company, then I read the Lies of Locke Lamora and I liked it too.

nice just added that to my wish list, thank you. Also i've pretty much read all of margaret weis and tracy hickmans stuff, the original authors of dragon lance, so that rules out the dark sword trilogy and the death gate cycle. The death gate cycle was great btw too, if i remember correctly, i don't know if i ever read the last 2 books or not, it was so long ago.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Nine Princes in Amber

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Harry Potter has dragons. Try that .

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
Dragonlance series

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Hobohemian posted:

Harry Potter has dragons. Try that .

you know i never did read any of them actually, i saw that first movie and it was ok, but usually books are better then movies anyway

boom boom boom posted:

Nine Princes in Amber

not in ebook form yet, but i'll keep an eye out, thanks

SirEvelynTremble posted:

Dragonlance series

i have like 70 of those books from when i was younger, i used to love the poo poo out of it. apparently they rebooted the series like 8 years ago, how shameful

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

NYT Best selling series!!!!1 I sorta want to go back and reread them, but I'm afraid that I will be disappointed in my younger self

Nekodoshi
Aug 4, 2007

I'm only as smart as the content of my posts.
Not too long ago i read the Shadowmarch series by tad williams, it's pretty good. Its like four massive books so it'll keep you busy. There's also Terry Pratchett, terry goodkind, neil gaiman is awesome. Read his sandman novels.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
as far as i can tell it's all just a bunch of fat nerds desperately trying to be j.r.r. tolkien, and somehow failing at even that.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Nekodoshi posted:

Not too long ago i read the Shadowmarch series by tad williams, it's pretty good. Its like four massive books so it'll keep you busy. There's also Terry Pratchett, terry goodkind, neil gaiman is awesome. Read his sandman novels.

i've heard good things of pratchet and goodkind and have both of them in a wishlist. First i've heard of gaiman, thanks for that

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Do you want something you can read for the purpose of mocking? Go with Eragon.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

i like The Cats of Seroster by Robert Westall, which is a book set in fantasy europe, maybe france, where pussy cats murder ppl and run the country as a telepathic illuminati

there are also men with swords doing manly sword things, and an evil regent dictator, and a crazy priest with an army of orphans who blow poo poo up

Titus Groan and Gormenghast, both by Mervyn Peake, are good if you like fun insane characters and don't mind some over-verbosity

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

sether01 posted:

i've heard good things of pratchet and goodkind and have both of them in a wishlist. First i've heard of gaiman, thanks for that

gaiman;s sandman is fantastic if you are a teenager

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

the only other fantasy novels ive read outside of got were young adult novels my ex made me read, like lirael and those golden compass books. they were ok

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

sether01 posted:

you know i never did read any of them actually, i saw that first movie and it was ok, but usually books are better then movies anyway

dude what is wrong with you? Go read HP

Also, Neil Gaima is p. good. It's not dragons and elves fantasy but still good realistic fantasy. I recommend Neverwhere or Good Omens.

Also, as a fellow new Kindle bro, just go to the eBook shop, click the genre you want, and start going through the Top 100 Free section and go to town. You won't read most of it but oh man so many free books. Also sign up on BookBub

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Benedick Cuckold posted:

as far as i can tell it's all just a bunch of fat nerds desperately trying to be j.r.r. tolkien, and somehow failing at even that.

Yeah, I tend to really not like fantasy, but the Amber series is great. No elves, no dragons, no evil races, and it does magic in a completely unique way.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

THS posted:

the only other fantasy novels ive read outside of got were young adult novels my ex made me read, like lirael and those golden compass books. they were ok

philip pullman is v bad if u have read anything more complex than a YA novel in your life, but otherwise is okay. same with harry potter.

the Duncton series is also a decent weird fantasy series with strange complex cultures and lots of religious persecution that i liked until i got weirded out by all the incest rape. also literally all the characters are moles

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

i read the golden compass stuff when i was like 20 and enjoyed it for the amusement that some weird old dude was writing popular fiction for teens that was explicitly anti catholic/christianity and they kill god at the end (spoiler)

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
real post Richard K Morgen's Land Fit for Heroes books are pretty good if you can put up with explicit gay sex scenes

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Corridor posted:

philip pullman is v bad if u have read anything more complex than a YA novel in your life, but otherwise is okay. same with harry potter.

the Duncton series is also a decent weird fantasy series with strange complex cultures and lots of religious persecution that i liked until i got weirded out by all the incest rape. also literally all the characters are moles

you have to realize man i LOVED dragon lance. I'm pretty sure that is terrible young adult fantasy stuff. I'm not above it

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

sether01 posted:

you have to realize man i LOVED dragon lance. I'm pretty sure that is terrible young adult fantasy stuff. I'm not above it

then u will probably like philip pullman stuff and harry potter series, and gaiman

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

As cliche as it sounds, HP Lovecraft might be worth looking into if you're into horror fantasy in short story form. Just... Do be aware that he used purple prose like a motherfucker.

And that he was a massive racist even by his period's standards (especially evident in his earlier short stories).

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

THS posted:

i read the golden compass stuff when i was like 20 and enjoyed it for the amusement that some weird old dude was writing popular fiction for teens that was explicitly anti catholic/christianity and they kill god at the end (spoiler)

Which was obsoleted by Richard Dawkins twitter feed. Why write a book about why God doesn't exist when Sam Harris can just point out that the people in the bible didn't have wheelbarrows? That fits in less than 140 characters, which is a lot shorter than a novel with...um, polar bears?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
What? No Goodkind had a couple of ok (not great) books and about 15 more libertarian masturbation fantasy books. With an extra helping of rape in each book.

They actually could have been great parody books or something but it's all played 100% straight. The 'heroes' by the end of the books are the most creepy evil people that are only good in contrast to the cartoon villainy of the badguy. Yet it's clear the author thinks of them as the most perfect people that ever lived.

Steer clear unless you're just looking for something to make you roll your eyes back in your head every three pages.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Darkhold posted:

What? No Goodkind had a couple of ok (not great) books and about 15 more libertarian masturbation fantasy books. With an extra helping of rape in each book.

They actually could have been great parody books or something but it's all played 100% straight. The 'heroes' by the end of the books are the most creepy evil people that are only good in contrast to the cartoon villainy of the badguy. Yet it's clear the author thinks of them as the most perfect people that ever lived.

Steer clear unless you're just looking for something to make you roll your eyes back in your head every three pages.

i think pratchett first started writing discworld to mock the poo poo out of goodkind

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
For an intro to Terry Pratchett (I have read most of his Discworld books) I suggest Guards Guards! as it has a dragon that owns, and is very very silly like most of his books.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guards!_Guards!

Scott Kirkby's art is amazing btw

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
This is a serious thread, I thought it was going to be funny.

So let me throw in my funny answer:

Piers Anthony.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I have heard good things about discworld, but I don't know if I would honestly enjoy light hearted fantasy. As weird as it sounds I think I would like trashy terrible fantasy that takes itself too seriously over satire fantasy books. I don't know though, I'll definitely have to check out a sample before I make up my mind.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

sether01 posted:

i mean like dragons and magic and poo poo

Uh well, if you can live without dragons, I'd really recommend Joe Ambercrombie's First Law series.

also at risk of sounding like a TBB goon, Brandon Sanderson can't write a female POV to save his life but his books are really entertaining. Mistborn series is pretty great. I might recommend staarting with that but his more power fantasy-based stormlight series is shaping up to be amazing so you could also start with Way of Kings

semi-comedy answer: Shanara series

Xaris fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jul 5, 2014

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

sether01 posted:

I have heard good things about discworld, but I don't know if I would honestly enjoy light hearted fantasy. As weird as it sounds I think I would like trashy terrible fantasy that takes itself too seriously over satire fantasy books. I don't know though, I'll definitely have to check out a sample before I make up my mind.

it's cool discworld does that too. like the plots and characters are serious and trashy and there are dragons and murder and poo poo, it's just the narration that is silly and a lot of elements are parodic, like the barbarian horde who are all 70 year olds

i agree that u should give guards guards a go, it's far enough in the series that he's into the groove but it's the start of a subseries so you don't need any foreknowledge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

sether01 posted:

OH well trashy they certainly are. I'd recommend Goodkind then just feel free to skim over the page long speeches about how awesome it is to be an individual then (while submitting utterly to the philosophy of the protagonists or be murdered).

Brandon Sanderson has just been mentioned. He's straight up good IMO.

• Locked thread