Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Discworld is a vehicle by which Pratchett satirizes our world. Until he got alzheimers and started writing poop jokes.

the recent ones suck but i suspect it's more to do with him having done this poo poo for like 30 years with no breaks, and getting elderly famous man syndrome, than the alzheimers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i liked that one book with the elves being all morose and graceful and about halfway through it turns out there was a dragon involved with the bad guys plot

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Are the original Conan the Barbarian stories worth reading?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Xaris posted:

OP, if anyone recommends malazan books to you, sever

what why

the malazan books are basically just your standard "author writes their D&D campaign into a novel" as literally any other fantasy novel, except he's less retarded about women and doesn't assume the reader is a complete idiot

they're pretty okay

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Fonzarelli posted:

Are the original Conan the Barbarian stories worth reading?

yes if your into that kind of stuff

try it, their not long

BlueChocolate
Jan 4, 2014
i remember the Earth Sea series being pretty good and not at all trashy

Harry Potter is good if you still have a bright and unjaded outlook

BlueChocolate fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jul 5, 2014

Poorleg
Feb 8, 2008

Neurosis posted:

Gene Wolfe's Wizard Knight duology is pretty good and has all the fantasy tropes. It's not as obtuse as most of Gene's work, either.

I like you.

If you like Dragonlance, try Forgotten Realms books. There are lots of different authors who do them, some good some poor.
When your taste matures a bit, try The Wizard of Earthsea books by Ursula Le Guin. Also Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser books by Fritz Leiber.

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.

boom boom boom posted:

Nine Princes in Amber

Also I will recommend the Bazil Broketail series by Christopher Rowley. They have sentient dragons that use swords and fight in a knock-off roman army. :histdowns: I loved them when iwas like 12, and re-read them in highschool and stil lenjoyed them then. It's been at least 10 years since I read one though.

Prince Reggie K fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jul 5, 2014

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

what why

the malazan books are basically just your standard "author writes their D&D campaign into a novel" as literally any other fantasy novel, except he's less retarded about women and doesn't assume the reader is a complete idiot

they're pretty okay

Undead space velociraptors with swords for arms. They're loving amazing.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
A Canticle for Liebowitz was excellent. I think that counts. It is so hard to find decent fantasy.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

is joe abercrombie any good because i've been recommended his stuff but im not a big fantasy reader

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

RedHotKick posted:

is joe abercrombie any good because i've been recommended his stuff but im not a big fantasy reader

yeah his books are good

the first one in the first law trilogy isn't GREAT but it picks up from there and the standalones range from decent to really good (the heroes is the best, but you need to have read the trilogy first)

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Op the correct answer is the malazan books of the fallen, they are loving full of dragons, red ones, black ones, one made of anti magic dust, undead ones, chained ones, ones that change into other things, it's a dragon fest. The first book may be hard to get through but there's definitely a dragon in there too. After that it's just dragons dragons dragons and space raptors with blade arms and magic and flint swords.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
is wheel of time actually good because i've heard stuff about it but when a dude is writing books for 30 years about a single character poo poo tends to be really mary sue and awful

BlueChocolate
Jan 4, 2014

Robo Reagan posted:

is wheel of time actually good because i've heard stuff about it but when a dude is writing books for 30 years about a single character poo poo tends to be really mary sue and awful

read it if you want to throw up in your mouth every three pages or so

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

HampHamp posted:

Op the correct answer is the malazan books of the fallen, they are loving full of dragons, red ones, black ones, one made of anti magic dust, undead ones, chained ones, ones that change into other things, it's a dragon fest. The first book may be hard to get through but there's definitely a dragon in there too. After that it's just dragons dragons dragons and space raptors with blade arms and magic and flint swords.

i'm a little more than halfway through the second book and i already have dragon fatigue

nobody who knew me as a kid/teenager would even believe this was possible but it's true

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Robo Reagan posted:

The first book is good. Second is OK. After that there's about 11,000 pages of poo poo.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm a little more than halfway through the second book and i already have dragon fatigue

nobody who knew me as a kid/teenager would even believe this was possible but it's true

I tried reading those books, but I couldn't follow them. It wasn't interesting enough for me to make the effort of keeping all the facts and weird loving names they through at me straight in my head.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
If you liked The Black Company okay, Cook also did a series of fantasy detective noir books collectively called "Garrett P.I." Ogres and elves and wizards and the mafia and dames with murder mysteries, p. much. Imagine John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee books but in magical medieval St. Louis/Chicago instead of Florida. Not epic fantasy, but fantasy nonetheless. There are a buttload of them starting with Sweet Silver Blues and all titled [adjective][metal][noun]. Cliches every paragraph and almost everyone is sassy and/or sarcastic and/or a hot chick who wants to bone the main character. They're great and dumb. I mean his sidekick is a centuries-dead psychic fat thing and his best friend is a psychotic "dark elf" restauranteur with mob ties. You really can't go wrong with that (and with suitably low expectations).

And if you want something more non-Tolkienesque Lois McMaster Bujold of SF's Vorkosigan fame did a couple of interesting lightly romantic fantasy series, the better of which starts with The Curse of Chalion then The Paladin of Souls and The Hallowed Hunt. Humans only, but with an active pantheon of beneficent gods and some related magic. It's better if you don't try to make any allegorical connection to real-world religions though. Also occasionally dongs and true love. The other series is less rewarding and replaces the gods thing with cranky magical rangers, plucky mary sues, a weird evil monster plague and more sex. It's called "The Sharing Knife" and you should probably only read them if you really like her writing style. Or kind of creepy romances with a 30-plus-year age difference.

ThaGhettoJew fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 5, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Dregs posted:

I tried reading those books, but I couldn't follow them. It wasn't interesting enough for me to make the effort of keeping all the facts and weird loving names they through at me straight in my head.

half his character names really are "terrible accident in the alphabet factory" fantasy bullshit. the weird thing is the other half are surprisingly memorable and simple ("Whiskeyjack") and you wonder why he can't just do that all the time

he's not actually that hard to follow though. like it's not some Gene Wolfe poo poo where you actually have to work for it, whenever the Malazan books reveal something they've been foreshadowing there's practically a giant blinking neon finger sign saying "LOOK IT'S THAT THING THE SMUG ASCENDANT HINTED AT 300 PAGES AGO"

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Robo Reagan posted:

they're pretty middling

i mean they're not absolutely horrible but they would have been ten times better if he'd had an editor who put his or her foot down about bloating and his lovely writing tics and how all the women except like two are absolute cunts

also if he didn't make up lame ways to swear and had just used real profanity it would have been better

and nothing happens in books 7-10

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

basically Erikson writes like a mystery novel author instead of like a fantasy author, the explanation and exposition dump is at the end instead of the beginning

you don't have to figure it out in advance it's just more fun if you do

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jul 5, 2014

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

BlueChocolate posted:

i remember the Earth Sea series being pretty good and not at all trashy

yeah their good

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
the children of Hurin by tolkien is really really good. its a tragic tale of revenge in a nordic saga style thing

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Malazan is really good and to be honest I can't get into any other fantasy poo poo after reading it, apart from some classic stuff like Jack Vance I guess

I tried reading Locke Lamora and that's the last time I read something based on a loving Book Barn recommendation

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
dresden files

it's about a goon who can do magic

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Schindler's Ark

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Joe Abercrombie's stuff is superb and probably the best and self-aware fantasy around today

Robin Hobb's farseer series is also very good if you're not triggered by gays and/or a talking wolf

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

the joy of sex

Morally Inept
Mar 5, 2012

by XyloJW
Anything done by Salvatore is awesome. Especially the books that have Drizzt.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
wheel of time hasnt aged well. it has this really annoying male/female dynamic that makes you just want to punch everyone in the face. this was less noticeable if you started reading the series as a young adult. the first book is ok as a standalone. stop there.

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

wheel of time hasnt aged well. it has this really annoying male/female dynamic that makes you just want to punch everyone in the face. this was less noticeable if you started reading the series as a young adult. the first book is ok as a standalone. stop there.

Basically if you learn who the interesting characters are and skip all the other characters chapters ( about 3/4 of them) you get a pretty neat fantasy book where after 3000 years in writing the fat bastard author decides to die before the last one or two books are finished.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Brandon Sanderson did a decent job tying it all together at the end. I got sick of it around book 7 or 8 and skipped to listening to his last 2 on recording. I didn't really feel like I missed anything.

Maybe they can give Sanderson a call when old GRRM chokes to death on a honeyed locust.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

ohsosad posted:

Basically if you learn who the interesting characters are and skip all the other characters chapters ( about 3/4 of them) you get a pretty neat fantasy book where after 3000 years in writing the fat bastard author decides to die before the last one or two books are finished.

Mat Cauthon, cut everything else out.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I liked Gregory Maguire's Wicked, but that may not be the trashy fantasy you're looking for. Also War of the Flowers by Tad Williams.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

psyopmonkey posted:

Theyre rather childish, but REDWALL!!!!

Its about a bunch of small rodents and other cute critters that live in medieval times in a large abbey.

There are tons of them and I highly suggest the series.

The end. :3:

This is a good post and I second it.

I really like China Mieville, he does very new-age urban fantasy stuff, lots of sweet body horror and awesome monsters.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

The Dregs posted:

Brandon Sanderson did a decent job tying it all together at the end. I got sick of it around book 7 or 8 and skipped to listening to his last 2 on recording. I didn't really feel like I missed anything.

Maybe they can give Sanderson a call when old GRRM chokes to death on a honeyed locust.

No it should be abercrombie that finishes that

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Everybody Poops

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

sether01 posted:

NYT Best selling series!!!!1 I sorta want to go back and reread them, but I'm afraid that I will be disappointed in my younger self

I feel exactly the same way bro. I loved the poo poo out of Dragonlance with cheesiness and all. I don't know if I could do it at this point in my life though.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Abercrombie is good and doesn't have too much wizard and dragon high fantasy bullshit, and the characters are terrible people but likeable + funny.
Lies of Locke Lamora's 1st book was great, then rapidly went to poo poo.
Mieville owns, The Scar is great and Iron Council is the LFest fantasy novel. Plus his kinda not-fantasy stuff like The City&The City and Embassytown are also great. In fact none of his books are bad, even Kraken was entertaining albeit dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
the epic of gilgamesh
the theogony
the mabinogion
le morte d'arthur
the faerie queen
paradise lost
prometheus unbound