Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
WHO'S TAKING HOME THE ORLANDO SUMMER LEAGUE TROPHY?
Magic
Heat
Sixers
Grizzlies
Celtics
Pacers
Nets
Pistons
Rockets
Thunder
Spurs
View Results

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
What impressed me about Randle is he had a god awful game the first half and still ended up with 14 points by the end of the game. Obviously he won't be able to necessarily play against NBA talent the way he does summer league talent but sticking with it in a rough game is not a universal NBA skill.

What I really want to see is if he will be able to do all this dribble drive poo poo against NBA big men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

single elimination 8-team bracket

Here's my summer league tournament quarter-finals effort post. WI equals "Worth It?" index, my proprietary stat that is me giving an arbitrary letter grade to whether this player is worth watching in summer league. It's heavily weighted to whether I think they'll actually play during the regular season but also to whether I think they will dunk in any of these games. Enjoy:

quote:

CHA | VEGAS '13: 4-2 | 2013-14: 43-39, 7th-East | VEGAS '14: 2-3

NBA Players:
Cody Zeller (21 7-0 240 C-F)
Possible starter at PF this year with departure of McRoberts. Super lame but did mostly what was expected of him last year.
Worth It?: B

NBA Rookies:
Noah Vonleh (18 6-10 240 F)
Big and strong but not too explosive. Rebounds and fouls at about the same (high) rate. Not ready to compete at NBA level.
WI: D-

P.J. Hairston (21 6-6 220 G)
The conversations between him and Lance Stephenson will be the stuff of legend but his game has looked a bit out of control. Does play defense.
WI: D+

quote:

NYK | VEGAS '13: 2-3 | 2013-14 37-45, 9th-East | VEGAS '14: 4-0

NBA Players:
Cole Aldrich (25 6-11 245 C)
Could start for the Knicks. Only one appearance in Vegas but played up to his size: scoring and shot-blocking and being a massive nuisance. It's unclear whether he will play in Summer League again after suffering a calf injury of unspecified severity.
WI: A

Shannon Brown (28 6-4 205 G-F)
Knicks PR is playing him up as a former Laker and Triangle vet but he was terrible in limited time last year with both the Knicks and the Spurs. His money is not guaranteed for this season and I don't see why New York would want to keep him. Chris Smith arguably brought more to the table.
WI: F

Tim Hardaway Jr. (22 6-6 205 G)
He has been the terror of this year's Summer League. Doesn't seem to think much of his opposition, or his teammates for that matter - only out there to score. Will remain in Vegas for another couple weeks to play with USA Select Team.
WI: B+

Shane Larkin (21 5-11 176 G)
Brought in the Tyson Chandler trade from Dallas, Larkin fizzled as a shooter at the top level. He's a severely limited undersized combo guard and is likely to be on the move away from the Knicks during the season.
WI: :rip: http://youtu.be/4Qnpr99f6Aw

Jeremy Tyler (23 6-9 250 C)
It's weird to imagine anything becoming of this guy. He does have more post moves than he used to have. The Knicks have to decide on his option by September and at his price there's little reason not to let him stick around.
WI: D

NBA Rookies:
Cleanthony Early (23 6-8 219 F)
He's a work in progress. Plays very physical and gives a poo poo but doesn't move well with the ball. Knicks fans love him.
WI: INC

Thanasis Antetokounmpo (22 6-7 215 F)
Some highlights on both ends but overall I don't see it. He's more likely to make the Knicks than his brother is to succeed at PG though.

quote:

ATL | VEGAS '13: 1-4 | 2013-14: 38-44, 8th-East | VEGAS '14: 2-3

NBA Players:
John Jenkins (23 6-4 215 G)
Missed the better part of 2nd season with back surgery after a pretty solid rookie year. Slow out of the gate in Vegas with almost no production. Opportunity is there with Louis Williams on a ride out of town.

Mike Muscala (23 6-11 238 C)
Stepped in with the Horford injury and played self into a multi-year unguaranteed pact with Atlanta. He's a good mobile rebounder.
WI: C+

Dennis Schroder (20 6-1 175 G)
He looks like he's still growing. There was nothing for him to do in Atlanta last year and he's a candidate to be moved. Bad shooter but always looks great in Summer League for at least a game or two.

NBA Rookies:
Adreian Payne (23 6-10 245 F)
Shooting threes, his entire Raison d'être has not helped him look good. The body and the tools to score are there though also. Has personality which is odd charitable towards cancer patients for an Atlanta player.
WI: C

Walter Tavares (22 7-3 260 C)
This is no Sim Bhullar - Walter can use his size as a weapon. They should bring him over if they can just to trot him out there. Needs to learn to play basketball kind of but if he does watch out.

Lamar Patterson (22 6-5 225 G)
He doesn't look even as big as listed but he's played hard and dove around and stuff. Shoots the ball terribly against Vegas competition and it doesn't bode well for his chances to make the roster.

quote:

HOU | VEGAS '13: 4-1 | 2013-14: 54-28, 4th-West | VEGAS '14: 3-2

NBA Players:
Isaiah Canaan (23 6-0 190 G)
Just a combo guard. Has his moments but isn't transcendent or anything. He'll be on the roster and will continue to spell Patrick Beverley, who he takes about the same amount of salary as funnily enough.

Robert Covington (23 6-9 215 F)
A rather decent STRETCH FUCKIN QUATRO :siren: who proved he can stay out of his own way in short minutes last season. Stastical leader in many categories for D-League. In summer league he's shooting a ton of threes impossibly badly but hopefully that comes to an end in the "playoffs."

Donatas Motiejunas (23 7-0 222 C-F)
It's cool to see the offensive potential of this guy realized a bit in summer league. Great scorer around the rim. He'll have to bring this game next year as Morey will be relying on depth, especially if Dwight is dinged up at all.

NBA Rookies:
Nick Johnson (21 6-3 198 G)
They're signing him. He's small and doesn't really have point guard skills but hey - into the Rio Grande Valley meat grinder he goes. Has played an average game at summer league.

quote:

SAC | VEGAS '13: 1-4 | 2013-14: 28-54, 13th-West | VEGAS '14: 3-1

NBA Players:
Quincy Acy (23 6-7 233 F)
Big and strong, the Kings insist on putting him inside because apparently they don't feel they've tried undersized PF's enough in their history. He can jump and burst under the rim.

MarShon Brooks (25 6-5 200 G-F)
Looked like garbage for a couple years now, but can always be counted on to turn a few heads and fool someone in summer league. He's a creative scorer but light as paper and has never met the potential of his rookie season. Not needed in SAC.

Jared Cunningham (23 6-4 195 G)
They've given him a shot in Sacramento, but the overall NBA-level game isn't there. He'll probably pack it in to the D-League and float his name around for most of the year.

Ray McCallum (23 6-3 190 G)
Thomas out, Collison in, life as normal for the Kings and their draft pick development. McCallum is a willing passer and that doesn't really describe Collison so maybe something is there. Hasn't found a three-point shot yet.

Ben McLemore (21 6-5 195 G)
Warming up each game in Vegas, there is some potential for this guy to take a step this year. I guess that he and Stauskas are competing for the same starting spot and I'd give McLemore the edge at this point.
WI: C-

Derrick Williams (23 6-8 241 F)
He's still super-young but I have no idea what his position is meant to be and Sacramento is not a good place to find that out. The search for defense and ball skills continues.

NBA Rookies:
Nik Stauskas (20 6-6 205 G)
The most beautiful shot in Vegas. Takes his role of Shooting Guard extremely literally. Best served in a bench role but, this being the Kings, it will be either deep bench or full-time starting role for Nik.

quote:

CHI | VEGAS '13: 4-1 | 2013-14: 48-34 4th-East | VEGAS '14: 4-0

NBA Players:
Tony Snell (22 6-7 215 G-F)
"The Snell That's Around You" has come to Vegas once again all out of bubble gum, this time adding a barrage of accurate three-pointers to his onslaught.

Lance Thomas (26 6-8 225 F)
Another iteration of the yeoman's load for this Dukie who has stuck to New Orleans rosters for the past several years. He plays undersized at the four and has enough name recognition that he is likely to go somewhere. Wouldn't want it to be my team.

NBA Rookies:
Doug McDermott (22 6-8 225 F)
Note the exact same body measurements as Lance Thomas above - however, this guy can do a number of things on his chassis, the most important being shooting. Scoring tandem with Snell will probably continue into the regular season second unit.

Cameron Bairstow (23 6-9 250 F)
Looks to play big inside, collecting stats in limited minutes. Promising enough but opportunity in Chicago will be very limited. Side note: New Mexico fans second most common representing this year in Vegas, after Utah Jazz fans.

quote:

SAS | VEGAS '13: 3-2 | 2013-14: 62-20, 1st-West *NBA Champs* | VEGAS '14: 4-1

NBA Players:
Jeff Ayres (27 6-9 250 C-F)
The name doesn't inspire confidence, but he's a capable defender who affects possessions. Not much of an offensive threat and a no-stats guy but he's in a contract year and should have his moments this season in San Antonio.

Austin Daye (26 6-11 200 G-F)
I get very tired of hearing about this string-bean. He's played very well in Vegas so far but his shot is as wild as ever, as if even he doesn't know how long his arms are. I don't foresee him being waived or doing much on this deep roster.

Darius Morris (23 6-5 195 G)
Not much here for the Spurs or anyone else. His scoring game is ok enough that he can keep hanging around on 10-days as injury insurance but a lesser league seems like the right path for him. Sent Marcus Denmon to the bench with his play, at least.

NBA Rookies:
Kyle Anderson (20 6-9 230 F)
They'll have to see what development brings because a two-way passing big isn't here yet. Plenty of time and money and inclination for San Antonio to find out, but not this year.

quote:

WAS | VEGAS '13: 2-3 | 2013-14: 44-38, 5th-East | VEGAS '14: 4-0

NBA Players:
Daniel Orton (23 6-10 256 C-F)
Still trying to find a home is Orton, who is barking up the wrong tree with Washington's crowded front court. Rebounds decently. Once tried to kill Meyers Leonard but sadly the schedule-makers did not match WAS with POR this summer. May stick somewhere.

Otto Porter (21 6-9 205 F)
He'll back up Pierce, but his development was stunted by his extremely limited minutes last season. Or maybe his minutes were stunted by his development. He's played well in summer league and shot the three particularly well but it's an uphill battle.
WI: D-

Glen Rice Jr. (23 6-6 252 F)
Now here's a guy that could make some noise. Huge summer league numbers don't often translate into much, but he's leading the entire league in scoring and his team is undefeated. Glen is the star, as such, of this squad and has done it all. Nice to have around in the event of a Beal injury.

spacejung fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 19, 2014

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Oh nice, thanks for writing that up, I didn't get to watch much this year. Covington is a stretch 4, although he does display some nice face-up perimeter scoring skills against this level of competition.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I am doubting any rating system where Cole Aldrich gets an A in watchability.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

MourningView posted:

The Go Bear has been dominant. Which I suppose is what you want from your first round pick playing his second year.

Exum's jumper is loving awful good lord.

Overseas tall PGs usually have some flat, low release shot, I'm thinking because they're not used to face a lot of other tall PGs. It should be fixable, but then again, Ricky Rubio.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Payne is shooting threes because he was a very good college three point shooter who the Hawks drafted to shoot threes in their system that values shooting lots of threes.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I love Shannon Brown but I kind of think he's done. The Knick PR descriptors of him were fair as far back as last season, but it seems like being put back on the "guys struggling to stay in the league" pile has broken him.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

chunkles posted:

Oh nice, thanks for writing that up, I didn't get to watch much this year. Covington is a stretch 4, although he does display some nice face-up perimeter scoring skills against this level of competition.

MourningView posted:

Payne is shooting threes because he was a very good college three point shooter who the Hawks drafted to shoot threes in their system that values shooting lots of threes.

Fixed. Must have been a draft in there the day I watched Payne. His shooting numbers are good indeed.

morestuff posted:

I am doubting any rating system where Cole Aldrich gets an A in watchability.

The desert is a hot place and it gets to you.

So are you guys tunin' in or what? Who you got comin' out the top?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I'm going to watch the Houston game at least. I need to watch a whole summer league game so I can determine exactly how much I should overrate all of Houston's prospects.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Why do announcers say Montieyunas. Like where is the N coming from.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Not particularly impressed with Canaan or Covington. Motiejunas is dominant but he's also a third year player playing in friggin Summer League. I'm mad that Payne played himself well above the Rockets pick.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Cool local channel isn't broadcasting poo poo and NBATV is blacked out. Blacking out SUMMER LEAGUE games... oh my god.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
Should just foul Glen Rice Jr. in that situation because the odds of him making 3 freethrows in a row is 0%.

Spurs Wiz going in to triple OT.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Hopefully people other than Bashez and me watched the triple OT SAS-WAS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DXmjCjHFNw

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Lol who is this Thets bum.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Washington-San Antonio goes to triple overtime on a Glen Rice Jr three at the buzzer! Insanity!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

spacejung posted:

I was there and it was awesome. poo poo talking Spurs fans in a meaningless summer game is great

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I didn't manage to see Exum or Smart play, how did they look?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

It's neat that Steve Clifford actually turns red.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Vonleh looks really smooth on offense until he actually has to put up a shot, then he just loses all touch and throws up an airball. At least the defense and rebounding also looks pretty good.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

It's nice that they added a tournament so I can see the Rockets get past the second round at least once in the McHale era.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

spacejung posted:

It's kind of weird that sudden death isn't a rule in the tournament games. I can see how it makes sense to play out tournament games though.

something_clever
Sep 25, 2006

chunkles posted:

It's nice that they added a tournament so I can see the Rockets get past the second round at least once in the McHale era.

The Houston Rockets: 2014 Summer League World Champions!
Finals and Tournament MVP: Donatas Motiejunas
Who BTW was already voted on to the 1st All-Summer League Team!

And I'm only being semi sarcastic! As a Rockets fan (since 2003) you have to embrace any wins especially after these past playoffs...
Anyway, I found out I can watch The Finals on my 2014 season ILP subscription. I'm actually interested enough to watch in on replay.

And according to the Clutchfans forums: "Nick Johnson = Chris Paul."
I can't believe there isn't a "Donatas = Dirk Nowitzki"...but I guess that was 2 summer league's ago?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Nick Johnson does look like one of the best guards in summer league but also I didn't see Smart and Exum.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Tonight at 21:00EDT/18:00PDT is the summer league Finals, featuring Houston Rockets vs. Sacramento Kings.

The only first-rounder rookie from this year's draft who will play is Nik Stauskas. In a very related note, this game and the rest of summer league as a whole may have implications for the Sacramento backcourt rotation.

edit: ^^^^ Oh yeah and Nick Johnson exists too

spacejung fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 21, 2014

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

McLemore's play has picked up after his first two abysmal games and the organization swears they still value him just as much as before

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WhyteRyce posted:

McLemore's play has picked up after his first two abysmal games and the organization swears they still value him just as much as before

He still looked so lost when he actually had to dribble the couple times I've watched him. He's really fun in warmups though!

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Which one of you is the pale red haired kid with the Olynyk jersey.

Come on summer league championship :ohdear:.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

drat nice move by McLemore

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Nick Johnson is the best PG in summer league I've watched night in night out.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
in summer league

But yeah Nick can throw it down.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Sometimes failed dunk attempts are hilarious.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

That last Ray McCallum 3 owned.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I can't believe it looks like Sac is going to win this game on a Mclemore hot streak.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
Clearly this run was built by Quincy "The Architect" Acy.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Maybe next year the Eastern Conference can get a team to the Summer League final.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

something_clever
Sep 25, 2006
Goddammit! I jinx'd the Rockets summer league team with my retarded post :bang:

FIRE: McFail, Morey and Lin...NOW!!

Nice Alley-oop by Nick Johnson. Tarik Black; please catch the loving ball and finish at the rim, and remember this was for the most impressive title for the Rockets in the 21st century! (NBADL Viper championship excluded). Donatas please look interested for at least 15% or less of your time on the floor.

I'm projecting that Tarik is signed as a back up center on the roster because of his spotless Asik impersonation.

Sorry about that. I've been lurking on Clutchfans BBS for too long, and it's been a crappy Rockets offseason...

• Locked thread