Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

Each of the factions also has a motif related to how we think we'd react to an apocalyptic-scale tragedy IMO

The Fiends are hedonistic lawlessness, the NCR and the Enclave represent a desire for continuity with past institutions/traditions, the Followers are trying to atone for the sin of ending the world, the Legion and the Brotherhood of Steel are about "never again" though in rather different ways.

true but that is a really common motif in the post apocalyptic genre even if it is well executed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

swamp waste posted:

haha come on it's way more than that. the stuff left unsaid has to be meaningful or like speak to the human condition somehow and take shape from the plot (and the gameplay, in a game) for there to be depth and not just obfuscation. video games track record with this isn't great. i agree that dark souls and demon souls have some really good moments of this but i'm not talking about the lore necessarily, as much as the story you experience through environments and character interactions

yeah, this.

when the metal gear series tries to have a point, it can talk about things like how governments abuse their soldiers and speculate that waging wars will fund the economies of the future. it's in there, along with the nuclear-capable mecha godzillas and psychic ghosts.

would silent hill 2 be a better example of obtuse writing being deep? it's in my ps2's disc tray but i've never gotten around to playing it.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Silent Hill 2 really did the multiple endings based on in-game choice thing down pat, because all three of the main ending feel in character for James personality and instead of having any explicit "good" or "bad" option for you to choose all you're doing is affecting the state of mind James is in when the time comes for him to decide what to do.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
play silent hill 2

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Silent Hill 2 is a good game and yes you should play it.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

zen death robot posted:

Didn't some "journalist" write an article basically saying difficult parts of games should be skippable otherwise it's really unfair to people who paid for the game?

Probably and that journalist should learn to get good at video games.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mark Brouhard posted:

if that journalist looked at a platinum game their head would probably explode. It would be like scanners poo poo over here.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
then they would probably give it a 4/10 because they actually reached the end on easy.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
nerds just want video games validated as an artform

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Poonerman posted:

nerds just want video games validated as an artform

"what do you mean I wasted 20 years of my life?" *sweats profusely* "uhh... I mean why don't you recognize the superiority of The Last of Us, the narrative goldmine of our time! What? The Road? What's that?"

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
*empty quotes Patrick Klepek's write up of watch dogs from giant bomb*

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Bioshock has this scene where you lose control of the camera and kill a dude, whether you want to or not (because you're hypnotised, see?). It's pretty effective. The rest of the game's writing is trash.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Honestly I blame Shenmue for starting the whole people going overboard with writing(and QTEs)

However Sega lost the copywright to the series earlier this year, so there's probably never going to be a payoff.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
why do people praise chris avellone's writing so much. nearly everything he does post-torment is either a force-fed and obnoxious "deconstruction" of some part of the game's story he's upset about (kotor2 and lonesome road) or a hamfisted moral lesson that's stupid (dead money). the guy has no sense of how to write for a video game and thinks giant textdumps are a perfectly valid way to communicate things like "these robot brain dudes are funny", "the evil black dude with nukes is hosed up", and "the blue mutant man is scheming". he's like a sophomore undergrad english major that managed to inject his whiny "analysis" of something into the middle of a regular game's script.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

closeted republican posted:

why do people praise chris avellone's writing so much. nearly everything he does post-torment is either a force-fed and obnoxious "deconstruction" of some part of the game's story he's upset about (kotor2 and lonesome road) or a hamfisted moral lesson that's stupid (dead money). the guy has no sense of how to write for a video game and thinks giant textdumps are a perfectly valid way to communicate things like "these robot brain dudes are funny", "the evil black dude with nukes is hosed up", and "the blue mutant man is scheming". he's like a sophomore undergrad english major that managed to inject his whiny "analysis" of something into the middle of a regular game's script.

yeah? at least he can keep me interested.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

FauxGateau posted:

yeah? at least he can keep me interested.

i dunno he does a great job making certain characters interesting (like dean domino or christine), but then he starts textdumping or forcing a deconstruction/moral lesson down your throat and it gets annoying very fast

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
true enough.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
I found Old World Blues to be a really annoying attempt at imitating the writing style of Portal and was genuinely surprised to learn it's considered one of the best DLCs.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Mark Brouhard posted:

they probably power through games on a deadline and can't appreciate the interactive parts because they have to grade the game's plot as well as twenty other games on their list.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Action Tortoise posted:

they probably power through games on a deadline and can't appreciate the interactive parts because they have to grade the game's plot as well as twenty other games on their list.

gently caress man I'm being paid to play videogames, Lord take me now! - videogame "journalist"

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

dead money would have been much better if they didn't have every loving character repeat "it's letting go" at the end. like, thanks, i got it! everyone except the courier is trapped in an obsessive loop!!

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
Spec Ops: The Line is a loving console turd.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Effectronica posted:

dead money would have been much better if they didn't have every loving character repeat "it's letting go" at the end. like, thanks, i got it! everyone except the courier is trapped in an obsessive loop!!

the only thing it needed was dean telling you about the power of friendship/humanity/love to overcome the evils of obsession and it would be straight out of an anime

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Effectronica posted:

That only happens if all the characters live. Kill Dean and the problem is solved.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Action Tortoise posted:

There's been numerous cases of journalists having to stay at home on Christmas and other holidays just to get game reviews in.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
maybe we should cut out the diseased cyst that is games journalism if these people are stuck in Dickensian nightmares?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

FauxGateau posted:

maybe we should cut out the diseased cyst that is games journalism if these people are stuck in Dickensian nightmares?

Honestly I can't say I've read a good game review since the PS2 era. Game magazines used to be really funny but then a bunch of guys discontinued the good game magazines and review sites and you're just left with a load of people who keep trying to convince you that everything is high art.

I think giant bomb's videos can be entertaining and the Live Feed of Polygon giving Xbone 10/10 and then actually playing it and showing how much it sucked was good, but that's a real short list.

Really the only real good games Journalism comes from Retro magazine where they dig up the old games and interview the guys who were behind them. Like that is stuff people should be doing with modern games. Spending some real time with them finding the exploits and poo poo like that.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 19, 2014

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
get rid of numerical reviews

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

lol if you seriously think gaming journalists play videogames

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Poonerman posted:

get rid of numerical reviews

id be happy with a 4/5 star system

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
i dont want to hear about video game writing from people who don't read non-videogame writing

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Chris Avellone's post Torment writing is actually much better than his writing during Torment though.

EDIT: Also I think if you want the average video game player to pick up on the theme you have to be heavy handed as hell because most of them don't read and are used to videogames spoon feeding them their story elements

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 19, 2014

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Eh, I'd argue that his attempts at "deconstruction" are done well enough that they don't ruin or distract from the overall enjoyment of the game. I personally think the text dumps are well-written and engaging enough that I don't have a huge problem with them. If you don't like the parts that aren't you going around loving up the wasteland, then yeah I can see how they'd be aggravating.

I think it all comes down to a matter of personal preference though.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
all of the writing in new vegas is cool to read, and the dlc is fun to play, except old world blues which sucks

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
I kind of also agree Old World Blues tried way too hard to be funny and ride on the popularity of Portal.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
As for writing in videogames, it depends on a lot of factors but I think they can ultimately be boiled down to: is the writing making this game more fun or engaging? If the answer is yes then congrats you discovered the secret to good videogame writing.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Contra Calculus posted:

I kind of also agree Old World Blues tried way too hard to be funny and ride on the popularity of Portal.

It's been a while since I've played either of these games, in what way was OWB trying to mimic Portal?

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

chiefnewo posted:

It's been a while since I've played either of these games, in what way was OWB trying to mimic Portal?

science that runs rampant i guess?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
It's not Old World Blues' writing that's the problem, it's that DLC's half-assed scheme to make sniping less fun by spawning constant streams of high-HP enemies whenever you leave an area for more than three minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

StandardVC10 posted:

It's not Old World Blues' writing that's the problem, it's that DLC's half-assed scheme to make sniping less fun by spawning constant streams of high-HP enemies whenever you leave an area for more than three minutes

New Vegas has sniper rifles? I've put in 73 hours according to Steam and haven't come across one. Are they only in the DLC?

• Locked thread