Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel like the OP completely neglects one of the newer advancements in the field of writing in vidcons: Twine. Essentially, Twine is a very accessible program that enables those with little development experience to create text-based adventures. Instead of the incomprehensible parsers of old and adventure game logic, however, Twine creates adventures that require little more than clicking links to advance. Because of the ease of use and even easier method of playing the final product, it's allowed for marginalized voices to finally break through and be heard. Since it's been out, we've seen amazing interactive fiction focusing on topics that have been mostly neglected by traditional video games and new, innovative ways of storytelling. Some Really loving Good™ games that are currently out include:

Even Cowgirls Bleed: A great deconstruction of modern "reach out and touch you with his gun" vidcon stories.

Everything you swallow will one day come up like a stone: Counting-based game about suicide.

MASTABA SNOOPY: Snoopy-based society.

Howling Dogs: A loving masterpiece. That's all I'll say or else I risk spoiling stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I was playing through Borderlands 2 the other day with my buddy and just had to stop, pause the game and start discussing about the quality of the writing in the game with him. It was kind of deep once you stop and take a moment to think about it.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Mass Effect might've had good writing if they had hired some editors to tell them things like "don't put in a sexy robot character and then also don't have every other character talk about how sexy the sexy robot is" and "don't introduce a bunch of characters in the second game and then have them not do anything important in the third game aside from make references to the second game" and "don't use stock photos in your multimillion dollar video game franchise."

Basically Bioware might make a decent game again if they'd stop writing fanfiction of their own loving games.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
move this thread to the imp zone, where games are respected as art.

discount cathouse fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 6, 2014

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
*walks into writers room*

ok you know what the videogamers want these days:

feels,
feels,
feels.

get working.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Writing is one of, if not the least important part of a video game. The game examples in the OP (besides Alpha Protocol) are less examples of good video game writing and more a demonstration of how putting "producing an epic narrative" before "producing a good game" makes for lovely games.

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

Stuntman posted:

I feel like the OP completely neglects one of the newer advancements in the field of writing in vidcons: Twine.

You know, I was actually going to put in a section about Twine and completely forgot; I'll do that shortly. Cheers.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Stuntman posted:

I feel like the OP completely neglects one of the newer advancements in the field of writing in vidcons: Twine. Essentially, Twine is a very accessible program that enables those with little development experience to create text-based adventures. Instead of the incomprehensible parsers of old and adventure game logic, however, Twine creates adventures that require little more than clicking links to advance. Because of the ease of use and even easier method of playing the final product, it's allowed for marginalized voices to finally break through and be heard. Since it's been out, we've seen amazing interactive fiction focusing on topics that have been mostly neglected by traditional video games and new, innovative ways of storytelling. Some Really loving Good™ games that are currently out include:

Even Cowgirls Bleed: A great deconstruction of modern "reach out and touch you with his gun" vidcon stories.

Everything you swallow will one day come up like a stone: Counting-based game about suicide.

Howling Dogs: A loving masterpiece. That's all I'll say or else I risk spoiling stuff.

although this concept is really cool, half of these are loving gobbledygook wordsalads that aren't as clever as the person who wrote them thinks they are

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
I don't get it OP, are you saying Mass Effect's writing is noteworthy because there's a lot of it? It's not even special as far as reactivity goes.

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

Its thanks to the deep and meaningful story of Counter-Strike that I view muslims as people and not murderous zealots.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MinibarMatchman posted:

although this concept is really cool, half of these are loving gobbledygook wordsalads that aren't as clever as the person who wrote them thinks they are
If you're not liking those specific ones, IFDB's section on Twine is a good place to search for more. There's a wide variety of themes Twine games focus on, so I'm sure if you like the concept, you'll be able to find something more your speed.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Stuntman posted:

Adventure games and IF without any interactivity? Count me out. These all sound like garbage.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Oh god, porpentine. Nothing I've ever seen of her work is interesting or good.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Like,

Stuntman posted:

Instead of the incomprehensible parsers of old and adventure game logic, however, Twine creates adventures that require little more than clicking links to advance.

Seriously? Am I being trolled hard here.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Video game writing is always gonna have huge challenges because from a narrative standpoint, or an emotional one, the things that make for compelling gameplay are often flat and insipid and repetitive. Video game play is really bad at dealing with anything emotionally nuanced or in any way complex enough to be the subject of "great" writing; you can do a Telltale sort of choose your own adventure thing or map a canned text onto a virtual space like Howling Dogs or Gone Home but the dynamism of play suffers badly in both cases.

Dark Souls has highly dynamic play and a pretty good story communicated in ways well-suited to video games. But the story is all about the decaying, predetermined, hopeless, pointless existence of immortal guys in a sepulchral video game world. Is this a clever meta thing or is it because this is the only subject that a game like this can ever honestly address?

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

Now that I think about it Dote up a Cat is pretty much the pinnacle if interactive storytelling.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Like,

Seriously? Am I being trolled hard here.

To an extent, yes. I guess the barrier to entry in making stuff with twine is less than putting together an znf file or whatever, but :blargh:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Stuntman posted:

If you're not liking those specific ones, IFDB's section on Twine is a good place to search for more. There's a wide variety of themes Twine games focus on, so I'm sure if you like the concept, you'll be able to find something more your speed.

yeah, I feel like something could be done here that would be pretty cool, if anything it's a good way to practice text-based adventure snippets. stuff like Stanley Parable could have started like this.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
When I play :xcom: I name all my soldiers and think of the meaningful lives they've had until that point. One of my dudes had some real Dostoyevsky-esque levels of moral dilemmas going on but the world will never know his story because he just got killed by a bullshit stray shot from a thinman.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
that feel when the op mentions 5 zombie shooters instead of a cool game like ghost trick:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

video game stories own and are what i play games for 90% of the time *does a cool flip on my skateboard and rides out of this thread*

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611869

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Games with words are Extremely My poo poo™

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Stuntman posted:

This thread is about video games.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Roger Tangerines posted:

What is videogame writing?

The point I'm coming around to is that writing isn't narrowly defined. In a story-based videogame, nearly everything you come across has been written and designed. Take the original Tomb Raider. There's plot, and there's dialogue... and then there's that bit where you first slide down the side of the Sphinx and the camera suddenly draws way back and shows you just how tiny you are in comparison to the level. That wasn't a camera glitch, somebody wrote it with the intent of producing that effect.

So, broadest definition: videogame writing is anything that attempts to convey an idea to the player. It's not just the plot of a game, or the dialogue, or the text logs you find - it's all three and more.

So tell me, why is cinematography in a video game cut scene "writing" while cinematography in a movie not "writing"?

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drifter posted:

Oh god, porpentine. Nothing I've ever seen of her work is interesting or good.
Could you expand on that?

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
All good viedeo games are alike, each bad video game is bad in its own way.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Is it fascism yet posted:

that feel when the op mentions 5 zombie shooters instead of a cool game like ghost trick:

I don't think the OP makes any mention of Japanese games whatsoever actually.

e: Which is weird because a lot of the games with "good writing" that aren't mind-numbingly boring trash are Japanese.

Zoq-Fot-Pik fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 6, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

You no longer have skin in the game. You find yourself relaxing when it switches to this mode. You’re relaxing during the climax! What’s supposed to be the most intense part of a game is now the moment for your to ease your muscles and take a breath of relief. The game wasted a hard-earned emotional buildup in the name of being more “cinematic”!

Every time the game switches from gameplay mode to movie mode, your attachment to the player character switches from 100% emotionally invested, to 100% detached. That’s pure, jarring, dissonance right there.

*switches from farting to scratching my rear end, causing emotional dissonance*

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I don't think the OP makes any mention of Japanese games whatsoever actually.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

*switches from farting to scratching my rear end, causing emotional dissonance*

you should get that checked out

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Because literature is just composed of writing, the quality of writing is going to be much better. Art direction, the soundtrack, and acting are just as important to a movie's artistic merit as the writing itself. You wouldn't compare a soundtrack written for a film to actual standalone music artistically, or a video game's art to that of an actual painter, of course the standalone medium will be better in that area. Film and video games are compound mediums containing multiple facets, each of which contributes artistically. Earthbound is not a super well written game but it has a great soundtrack and art direction, and for that reason I'd rate it as "better art" than Bioshock or some other game that's trying really hard to have good writing and doesn't give a poo poo about other aspects. I would guess it's not really possible to make a game with artistic merit by strength of writing alone, just like it's not possible to make a good movie with good acting and soundtrack alone.

People talking about Japan yeah despite the 'lol anime' aspect they seem to have a much better understanding of what art actually is than the fedora wearing autists who think Mass Effect and Bioshock are well written or insightful. Yoshi's Island is a loving masterpiece, and it has no writing per se at all

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

So tell me, why is cinematography in a video game cut scene "writing" while cinematography in a movie not "writing"?

Cinematography in a movie absolutely can be writing. An very stylized example, in Sergio Leone's movies, the way a shot is framed often informs the viewer about what the characters are aware of. If there's something standing just off-screen, then Blue Eyes doesn't know it's there, even if realistically he should be able to see it.

Or let's look at Hitchcock. The weird dolly zooms aren't there just to look cool. They're there to represent Scottie's terror. They're characterization, and characterization is writing.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Killzone: Shadow Fall

The Xbox One isn't even capable of rendering writing on this level.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

citizen kane's a movie that's like 90% cinematography and video games journalism has told me that citizen kane is the best movie ever made

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Gone home would have been better at a scope the developers could handle. Like a short story or a poem.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Stuntman posted:

Could you expand on that?

I don't enjoy what I've been shown of her experimental text things - which are her games. I find them to be scattered and disjointed and middling. My exposure to her has been mainly through Cara Ellison.

Is there one you think of particular worth?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 6, 2014

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dan Didio posted:

Killzone: Shadow Fall

The Xbox One isn't even capable of rendering writing on this level.

Not at 1080p, at any rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Liquid Penguins posted:

Gone home would have been better at a scope the developers could handle. Like a short story or a poem.

By presenting their snore-inducing turd of a story as a video game they were able to trick people into saying it's good.

• Locked thread