Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
KOTOR 2 was actually better written than Planescape: Torment and it wasn't even finished

Planescape: Torment is still better written than Mass Effect though

the problem of course is that arguably none of these are very well built as games either so the idea that good games and good story telling don't go together is still pretty solid and I say that as the kind of loser that likes to play story games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
*Emphasis*

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Is it fascism yet posted:

pretend i lolled at whoever said fallout games had good writing.

That was me. Fallout 1 and Fallout New Vegas are pretty good, on different levels and for different reasons though.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
segments like that should be brought up whenever someone says that voice acting and pre-rendered cutscenes ruined story telling in games

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I feel like people have no idea how to write a video game and instead fall back on the writing styles of other media like books (Planescape: Torment) or movies (The Last of Us) or anime (Final Fantasy) or tv shows (BioWare and their continued worship of anything Joss Whedon).

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

The Sharmat posted:

segments like that should be brought up whenever someone says that voice acting and pre-rendered cutscenes ruined story telling in games

Having to voice act everything is a huge limiting factor in modern RPGs.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
basically yeah, almost no one has learned how to actually write a video game yet some people are getting closer though and I think the guy that wrote the huge vomited pile of *emphasized* *text* that was posted awhile ago have actually learned a lot about that and can produce better stuff now than what's normally considered their best work due to nostalgia goggles

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Having to voice act everything is a huge limiting factor in modern RPGs.
I won't dispute that, I'm just saying that all text can be hosed up in an entirely different way. I think there's a niche for both though. popcorn fodder type stuff like Mass Effect would be way worse if it had to actually rely on the quality of its written dialogue alone. conversely huge open RPG stuff like Elder Scrolls where the important thing is scale get almost no benefit out of full voice acting and actually just limit themselves hugely in what they can do

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 6, 2014

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

That was me. Fallout 1 and Fallout New Vegas are pretty good, on different levels and for different reasons though.

lol

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

The Sharmat posted:

basically yeah, almost no one has learned how to actually write a video game yet some people are getting closer though and I think the guy that wrote the huge vomited pile of *emphasized* *text* that was posted awhile ago have actually learned a lot about that and can produce better stuff now than what's normally considered their best work due to nostalgia goggles

those guys made dustforce which is a cool and fun game and doesn't have half hour cutscenes after each level

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Fallout 2 and Fallout 3 have extremely bad writing. Fallout 1 and New Vegas are pretty dece, and are also fun games that put gameplay first. Frankly, you can suck my rear end if you disagree.

Dec 26, 2012

fallout 2 is disgustingly overrated in a lot of ways imo

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
from what I've seen New Vegas actually had like, themes and poo poo

which is pretty elementary in any other form of fiction but it's not that common in video games

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Fallout 2 and Fallout 3 have extremely bad writing. Fallout 1 and New Vegas are pretty dece, and are also fun games that put gameplay first. Frankly, you can suck my rear end if you disagree.

ill be honest here and say that i only ever tried 2 and 3, but i cant imagine how the others could be miracoulisly good

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

ill be honest here and say that i only ever tried 2 and 3, but i cant imagine how the others could be miracoulisly good

(In a hollow, dead voice) Oh.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

Stuntman posted:

I feel like the OP completely neglects one of the newer advancements in the field of writing in vidcons: Twine. Essentially, Twine is a very accessible program that enables those with little development experience to create text-based adventures. Instead of the incomprehensible parsers of old and adventure game logic, however, Twine creates adventures that require little more than clicking links to advance. Because of the ease of use and even easier method of playing the final product, it's allowed for marginalized voices to finally break through and be heard. Since it's been out, we've seen amazing interactive fiction focusing on topics that have been mostly neglected by traditional video games and new, innovative ways of storytelling. Some Really loving Good™ games that are currently out include:

Even Cowgirls Bleed: A great deconstruction of modern "reach out and touch you with his gun" vidcon stories.

Everything you swallow will one day come up like a stone: Counting-based game about suicide.

MASTABA SNOOPY: Snoopy-based society.

Howling Dogs: A loving masterpiece. That's all I'll say or else I risk spoiling stuff.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

The Sharmat posted:

from what I've seen New Vegas actually had like, themes and poo poo

which is pretty elementary in any other form of fiction but it's not that common in video games

New Vegas is actually cool because instead of being a linear series of setpieces that you have zero control over, the main quest is reactive enough that you can kill every NPC in the game and still have a coherent ending. It's not just a guided tour where you aren't allowed to do anything crazy like Oblivion, Fallout 3 or Skyrim.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
how long will it take me to play howling dogs so i can make fun of it

Dec 26, 2012

you should remedy this, at least wrt new vegas. 1 i can understand not going back to because its pretty old-fashioned

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

lol it actually says stuff? i quit at like 100

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

new vegas is good and cool and really fleshed out. fallout 1 is pretty cool in a really bare-bones kinda way. playing it is like reading Ray Bradbury or something

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
im not a gib fan of genre fiction haha

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

New Vegas is actually cool because instead of being a linear series of setpieces that you have zero control over, the main quest is reactive enough that you can kill every NPC in the game and still have a coherent ending. It's not just a guided tour where you aren't allowed to do anything crazy like Oblivion, Fallout 3 or Skyrim.

yeah it's the rare case where the writing actually takes advantage of the potential strengths of the medium instead of being a chopped up book/movie with a bunch of generic combat and minigames shoved into the gaps

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

The Sharmat posted:

yeah it's the rare case where the writing actually takes advantage of the potential strengths of the medium instead of being a chopped up book/movie with a bunch of generic combat and minigames shoved into the gaps

RPGs where your actions have a real effect on the world around you that makes sense, THAT is cool videogame writing, not stupid crap like trying to make your game like Real Literature or what usually happens, a loving comic book movie (lmao).

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

im not a gib fan of genre fiction haha

I meant more in the sense of feeling very fresh and vibrant, untrod ground

Like, you know how Fallout 3 was Fallout: The Theme Park? You got your Enclaveland, your Brotherhood of Steel parade, RaiderTown and Super Mutant Mountain... basically all the beats from fallout 1 and 2. and even New Vegas has the weight of canon hanging over it as well

but Fallout 1 obviously didn't have all that, just maybe Wasteland and a bunch of non-game inspirations. it could just be really free creatively, you know?? thst's what i mean

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

RPGs where your actions have a real effect on the world around you that makes sense, THAT is cool videogame writing, not stupid crap like trying to make your game like Real Literature or what usually happens, a loving comic book movie (lmao).

most people don't seem to like those very much for some reason though

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
I look down at my digitally rendered hands, think of all the pixels I have murdered, and ask out loud: "why?"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

is that a reverse mermaid

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Lt. Danger posted:

new vegas is good and cool and really fleshed out. fallout 1 is pretty cool in a really bare-bones kinda way. playing it is like reading Ray Bradbury or something

playing new vegas is not like reading ray bradbury you dork

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
The Order 1886 is probably the worst offender when it comes to making video games that have "real mature stories" by turning them into lovely action movies.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/464912/previews/hands-on-and-interview-the-order-1886s-e3-demo-showcases-style-over-substance/

quote:

So of the three key aspects of a game - visuals, gameplay and story - which would you say was your priority with The Order 1886?

I think story and visuals are very high. Gameplay is something that... it's a game, we make games, we can't get around it. We love games, but we also love telling stories, so I think story is always going to be at the top because it's what we start with. It's at the top of the pyramid and everything else supports that. I think it'd be more challenging to make a game for the gameplay's sake, then try to make a story that fits in there.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

:mrgw:

Dec 26, 2012

I think it'd be more challenging to make a game for the gameplay's sake, then try to make a story that fits in there.

Dec 26, 2012

it sure would be hard if we actually tried to use the medium well, good thing we dont give a poo poo!

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

fronz posted:

playing new vegas is not like reading ray bradbury you dork

read again

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

01011001 posted:

I think it'd be more challenging to make a game for the gameplay's sake, then try to make a story that fits in there.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
neither is fallout 1 lol

i cant get through more than a couple paragrpahs of that thing

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

I feel like people have no idea how to write a video game and instead fall back on the writing styles of other media like books (Planescape: Torment) or movies (The Last of Us) or anime (Final Fantasy) or tv shows (BioWare and their continued worship of anything Joss Whedon).

Yeah I agree, I think the Souls games are the most succesful at writing that only works in the context of games.

I should say I personally prefer games that tend to be somewhat vague than games that spend a gazillion words on worldbuilding or some poo poo, but for some reason only Japanese devs seem to understand that not spelling everything out can be better sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
GTA has some great writing

San Andreas for instance:

CJ: Nigga, you ugly

or GTA 5

Franklin: Nigga, you trippin

• Locked thread