Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Do you like "cool change" by the little river band

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
There are worse songs out there.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

pink floyd are english, so speak english when talking about them,!!!!!!!!!!!!

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

私はピンク·フロイドがクールだと思うし、この会話はクールです。 :v:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BigFactory posted:

There are worse songs out there.

holy poo poo sorry to hear about your ADHD

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

echinopsis posted:

holy poo poo sorry to hear about your ADHD

A joke 24 hours in the making apparently.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
great things take time to brew and evolve

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the new single.. 2014 - Side 3, pt. 4: Allons-y (1)

hmm..

it sounds like somethng from flight of the navigator.. and not in a good. way. and it's really short. it's a weird pick of a song for a "single"

I'm gonna put it on iPod so I can crank it in car on way to work to really give it a go.

I mean I love David's lead, but "noodling"... not so much.

disappointment is disapointing

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

It sounds about like I figured it would. Maybe it'll be better in context. As is, it just sounds like they chopped two minutes haphazardly out of the album and said "That's the single."

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

This actually sounds less like a Division Bell outtake, and more like an outtake from Gilmour's first solo album. Which is, you know, okay with me. As a "single", well, good luck finding the "single"s in the post-1970 back catalogue. Sounds more like a chunk cut out of a longer piece

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 3, 2014

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I found myself seeking to find a different track to listen to on my first listen. my subconscious was not pleased apparently

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

It's a good album for what it is. "It's What We Do" is straight out of Shine On and for most fans will probably be the high point of the album.

Rest in peace, Richard Wright, and rest in peace, Pink Floyd.

troll for dollars
Jan 10, 2005
It's a really weird album. It's like a band doing a tribute to themselves, riffing on their classics without them being direct covers. Makes sense with the theme, maybe, but still odd.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

triple sulk posted:

It's a good album for what it is. "It's What We Do" is straight out of Shine On and for most fans will probably be the high point of the album.

Rest in peace, Richard Wright, and rest in peace, Pink Floyd.
Yeah, can't really hate it. It's a decent nostalgic farewell album.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
So I picked up my vinyl and cd / bluray deluxe edition yesterday, and listening to the vinyl now, I'll have to say that it's the best album from 2014 for me, and a great Pink Floyd album at a whole. Then again, I like "The Division Bell", and "Marooned" is one of my favourite songs (together with "Echoes" and "Atom Heart Mother Suite" and some stuff from their earlier days), so this is all fapalicious, eargasms and goosebumps for me.

PreacherTom
Oct 7, 2003

I want to prank them for hours in my basement...

Mutation posted:

Yeah, can't really hate it. It's a decent nostalgic farewell album.

True, but I have to say that I've been waiting for him to truly open up on a solo for a long, long time. And it looks like I'll be waiting forever.

I've always thought that the solo in High Hopes was a great way for the band to go out. "Louder than Words" is nothing compared to that.

I am sad.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Comfortably Numb from the Pulse live album is the opening up you deserve

PreacherTom
Oct 7, 2003

I want to prank them for hours in my basement...

echinopsis posted:

Comfortably Numb from the Pulse live album is the opening up you deserve

Actually, Gilmour's High Hopes solo from the second disc of "Remember That Night", noted as "At the BBC Mermaid Theatre Concert" is spectacular. He runs the whole spectrum there, and the pathos in the "quiet section" is breathtaking.

That's what gets me. I know what he's capable of doing, and I've seen so many quotes where he complained that he never gets to express himself musically...and then when he has the chance, he just doesn't take it to the next level anymore.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

No one here has committed any crime great enough to deserve PULSE

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I listened to it last night after work and I thought the first half of the album was great. Somewhere in the second half it felt like it lost steam, and I really didn't enjoy Louder Than Words. :(

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

No one here has committed any crime great enough to deserve PULSE
What's wrong with Pulse? I have it on DVD and love to stick it in every now and then to relax. And Remember That Night is awesome if only because David Bowie performs with Gilmour on Comfortably Numb as well as Arnold Layne.

Endless River is a nice epilogue to Pink Floyd's work, I think. Not their best, but not their worst stuff either, just a nice little final-farewell album.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

I really thought this was going to be a snooze-fest of sanitized guitar noodling, so I prepared for the worst, but it's actually not bad. I see Popmarket has the vinyl ($32.99), CD/DVD ($27.99), and CD/blu-ray ($29.99) version on sale today if anyone has been thinking of picking it up and wants to save a little (the 2xLP version is normally $44): https://www.popmarket.com/popmarket/details/35398310?feature_id=35110214

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Eh! Frank posted:

What's wrong with Pulse?

The same thing wrong with the rest of the 1994 tour: overblown without any hint of passion. It takes hard work to make Dark Side of the Moon boring.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

iluvpr0n posted:

I really thought this was going to be a snooze-fest of sanitized guitar noodling, so I prepared for the worst, but it's actually not bad. I see Popmarket has the vinyl ($32.99), CD/DVD ($27.99), and CD/blu-ray ($29.99) version on sale today if anyone has been thinking of picking it up and wants to save a little (the 2xLP version is normally $44): https://www.popmarket.com/popmarket/details/35398310?feature_id=35110214

Wow, what a hot deal!

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Before the album hit Spotify, I was previewing some of the tracks on youtube and came across the best one on the album right here: http://youtu.be/FFQ9AYJpE_A

It's very reminiscent of everything that made Rick such a brilliant keyboard player and composer. It's just such a simple, yet beautiful song with the perfect buildup and good balance. Today, when I went searching for the track on Spotify, I found that it was not actually on the album... what gives? OH WAIT, it's not Pink floyd at all. It's Chris Zabriskie. That's a drat shame, because this song would have almost made up for the pile of crap this new album is.

If Gilmour felt the need to put out a new album, why couldn't he have just done it under his own name, rather than bring down Pink Floyd's legacy?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
when listening to it this morning I was overcome by a sense that this wasnt a gilmour album in the way division bell sounds like to me

I've only heard half of it so far on the way to work. there are some great musics on there. a lot of those songs seems to end abruptly though. it's hard to know where this will fit in to my listening mood list but so far I like it, that allons song they released early is one of the worst tracks
will finish it on way home

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

After a few days to sink in, "Side 1" and "Side 3" are quite good, and Louder Than Words is still complete dogshit that wrecks the mood entirely.

Full Disclosure: the only PF album I liked on first listen was Atom Heart Mother

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Full Disclosure: the only PF album I liked on first listen was Atom Heart Mother

To be fair: Atom Heart Mother owns.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the song "ansilso"
or whatever is really great

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

To be fair: Atom Heart Mother owns.

I did not, nor will I ever, deny this very basic fact.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

The Endless Division Bell 20th Anniversary Bonus Disc

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wow really? because it's anything but that. there are a few moments that sound exactly like the division bell, and some moments that sound exactly like other albums, and then some parts that sound like nothing else they've done, and musically not really like anything else they've done for the large part. I love it

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I only listened to it once so far but it just feels like a bunch of lead ups to other songs that don't exist. It feels more like a posthumous album than the last Pink Floyd album too (which I guess it technically is).

Edit --> The CD cover is great though, its all smooth and silky.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I admit it's hard to pin down in a way, it would be amazing on psychedelics. it just doesn't remind me of the division bell apart from a few specific moments where it sounds exactly like it

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

echinopsis posted:

I admit it's hard to pin down in a way, it would be amazing on psychedelics. it just doesn't remind me of the division bell apart from a few specific moments where it sounds exactly like it

The song with Stephen Hawking for sure.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

echinopsis posted:

Apart from reuising a few sound effects (like Hawking), what moments sound exactly like DB to you?

A lot of the album sounds like Shine On, then the rest of it sounds like Gilmour to me.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'll have to record down what moments
I'm thinking of when I say that but there are a few moments that sound exactly like a cut
from the divisoj bell but I'm not talknmg about large pieces

also doesn't sound very gilmourish to new

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Finally listened to it all the way through. Most of the songs are pleasant, at worst. "Louder Than Words," though, that's straight up hot garbage.

"It's What We Do" is probably my favorite track. Just sounds like an extra part of "Shine on You Crazy Diamond."

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I came to look for a thread about this album with good impressions because I just listened to it and I found it quite beautiful.

Im surprised people hate it so much. The first half especially (notably the first 2 tracks) are great. I'm really digging it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
don't feel bad this thread is full of assholes

• Locked thread