Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

1st AD posted:

Dhiego Lima is Douglas Lima's brother, right?

yeah. Like I posted in that other thread, he's decent and should win, but he isn't as good as Douglas. This whole show was unnecessary for 1 fighter to make his way into UFC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

-Atom- posted:

I can't shake Baby Jay, and think he will win.

lmao no don't. It's fine to like BJ Penn as I do and so do many others but please do not think he will win. Instead, think that he will look like a good fighter again and Edgar will simply be better. That's what's gonna happen.

It isn't like Edgar has any reason to overlook Penn and somehow be a severely worse fighter than he was years ago when he beat Penn. Edgar is only 1 win removed from losing 3 times in a row & hasn't fought in a year so he's going to be determined to win impressively tonight.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

What a knockout. And I was just starting to like the sound of "Puig". RIP.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

So far this card has been way better than it had any right to being

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

manyak posted:

I forgot how much bigger Penn is than edgar. Edgar is tiny

I'd love to see him try some fights at 135, specfically that Urijah fight, but he's going to be at 145 for a while.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Dustin Ortiz rules.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Black Beast should fight Rosholt next

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Aside from the illegal strikes, that was a cool performance by Eddie Gordon. I wish he would have performed like that on the show instead of looking like a bad training partner for Weidman the entire time

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Street Horrrsing posted:

I'm guessing they got rid of the "plaque" style of TUF trophy after Roy Nelson rubbed his belly all over it

Nah they had it for a few more seasons after that. I think they dropped it for the Jon Jones/Chael Sonnen season of TUF.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

slev posted:

Is there like no one there? Seems like most of the seats are empty.

The Puig fight was from earlier in the night when fewer people show up. As for now, it's filled in nicely but there's probably a lot of fatigue from fans who watched UFC 175 and also from fans that had to leave Vegas for work on Monday.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

SquirrelGrip posted:

I walked away to get some food, what happened after black beast did a heavyweight on guy?

Gordon vs Lima was the middleweight TUF finale fight. Gordon landed a huge overhand right that wobbled Lima, and then when Lima was up against the fence Gordon reigned down these clubbing strikes to the back of Lima's head. Yves Lavigne didn't catch it and Lima was hosed. He managed to survive a few more seconds but he was finished.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

seriously where the gently caress were these kind of fights during the show? none of those guys fought like that ever and now all of a sudden they're going for the finish and getting them in 1 minute. Thank you TUF fighters for getting us to Edgar vs Penn 3 sooner than expected.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

That was unnecessary.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

On the bright side Frankie Edgar finished a fight for the first time in a while and didn't get his face beaten up for once. :unsmith:

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uHlICw6Pjk

Might be sad to watch though.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

mkay0 posted:

Yup. UFC matchmaking sure is quantity over quality lately

To be fair they did offer Faber to coach TUF against Frankie first but they wanted it at 145 and Urijah turned it down. Then a few days later Penn called Dana and they put it together.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

ChampRamp posted:

Derrick Lewis emerged as the star of this show

The Black Beast, The New Breed

Also I know BJ Penn was a ghost but I thought Edgar looked very good out there. He may have also looked very good against a stuffed trash bag, but Edgar was keeping great defense in spite of BJ's lack of offense.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

1st AD posted:

How long is Aldo's injury gonna put him out? Might as well do an interim title with Mendes vs anybody at this point. I'd be down for Frankie or Cub getting that fight.

Yeah this is what I was wondering when you floating Mendes vs Edgar at 176 a few posts ago. If Aldo is only going to be out for less than 6 months it might be better to delay the Mendes title defense because you never know what could happen to the contenders.

In a perfect world we'd get Swanson vs Aldo and Mendes vs Edgar but I think it's more realistic that Edgar sits out until they get him somebody like McGregor or Guida or some such. I don't think UFC wants to push Frankie to the title so quickly again.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Bundt Cake posted:

Edgar v Aldo is awesome but I dont really ever want to see tonights fight so Im glad I worked late

it was worse than you could imagine. For a card with a bunch of 4-0 TUF guys on it BJ Penn looked the least competent out there.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

CarlCX posted:

In fairness to BJ, the TUF guys were fighting TUF guys and BJ was fighting Frankie loving Edgar.

Very true! And a good Frankie Edgar. Accurate as ever and even better on the ground. drat I'd love to see that version of Edgar have Aldo on his back.

Meowbot posted:

Any idea what is going on with the post press conference? It should have started 26 minutes ago and just says "starting soon" on youtube.

Just started. Dana sounds down, but he's probably just tired from the looooong weekend.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

To 1st AD: Dana just said that Aldo is only supposed to be out 45 days. Mendes vs Aldo II will still go down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

1st AD posted:

lmao "we heard Felice Herrig almost got thrown off the show on the first day" in reference to TUF 20
Dana: "well...I wouldn't say she almost got thrown off. A fight broke out the first day."

They need something for the first show since there aren't any fights to get into the house.

• Locked thread