Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
So is this like the last year they can have Marvel as one of the big showcase games? I remember at the end of last year when all the Marvel themed games were de-listed from the marketplaces some people started speculating tha soon they wouldn't even be able to have giant Marvel money matches after all that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human
Jun 9, 2004

REAL HUMAN. SAFE TO APPROACH.
Is that schedule correct? Are they not streaming Street Fighter pools?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Human posted:

Don't worry I'll live post what's happening.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Human posted:

Those schedules are only for the two main stages. Capcom has streamed USF4 pools for every CPT event from their own smaller side stage. Ultra pools will almost certainly be streamed from 8 AM-6 PM PST on their CapcomFighters Twitch account.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Why? They don't really have the money.

Don't they?

Human
Jun 9, 2004

REAL HUMAN. SAFE TO APPROACH.

Mio Bison posted:

Those schedules are only for the two main stages. Capcom has streamed USF4 pools for every CPT event from their own smaller side stage. Ultra pools will almost certainly be streamed from 8 AM-6 PM PST on their CapcomFighters Twitch account.

That makes sense. Thanks!

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

So is this like the last year they can have Marvel as one of the big showcase games? I remember at the end of last year when all the Marvel themed games were de-listed from the marketplaces some people started speculating tha soon they wouldn't even be able to have giant Marvel money matches after all that happened.
I think the fanbase can do whatever they want. If enough people show up for the game, it's still going to be one of the big games.
The delisting just means Capcom has no reason to promote the game. It has no Capcom Pro Tour, they don't stream it on Capcom Fighters, they don't add money to MvC pots. Combined with more lopsided team compositions and no chance for updates, who knows for how long it will remain strong tho.

It's not gonna happen, but it would be great if Capcom announced a Marvel successor this EVO.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Doggboat posted:

It's not gonna happen, but it would be great if Capcom announced a Marvel successor this EVO.

It would be pretty dumb of Capcom not to be working on another Marvel game at this point.

On the other hand, "It would be pretty dumb of Capcom not to..." is a great summary of everything they've done the last three or four years.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

It would be pretty dumb of Disney to not just outright buy Capcom at this point.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Mio Bison posted:

Yeah, don't panic too much about the stream stuff just yet. There will be lots of streams available, so that section of the OP will be updated when there are some useful links available.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Ba Donk a Bonk posted:

It would be pretty dumb of Capcom not to be working on another Marvel game at this point.

"When's Capcom?" just doesn't have the same ring to it. :(

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Ba Donk a Bonk posted:

On the other hand, "It would be pretty dumb of Capcom not to..." is a great summary of everything they've done the last three or four years.

Pretty sure they literally can't afford to make a new marvel game at this point.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They're not that bad off that they'll die from making one, but they need to make better investments with their money than "We're just gonna make a Marvel game without the Marvel" as if it will totally solve their problems.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

papa_november posted:

It would be pretty dumb of Disney to not just outright buy Capcom at this point.

Disney's in the business of producing movie tie-ins and IAP mobile games. Fighting games as we know them do not fit in this vison of monetized brand leveraging.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

A.o.D. posted:

Disney's in the business of producing movie tie-ins and IAP mobile games. Fighting games as we know them do not fit in this vison of monetized brand leveraging.

I could see a Capcom version of Infinity being somewhat viable (https://infinity.disney.com/).

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

papa_november posted:

They probably can't, as the company isn't for sale. Capcom remains a profitable independent company, and the stock decision they made recently is not the same as shopping itself around for a buyer.

Jmcrofts posted:

Pretty sure they literally can't afford to make a new marvel game at this point.

They aren't as profitable as they'd like to be but they're still profitable and they're opening two new studios, one of which will apparently be exclusively focusing on in-house development of fighting games.

It's more likely that you'll see Street Fighter 5 before a new Marvel or Marvel-esque game, but Capcom is still in the black. This fan idea that they're selling their grandfather's watch to keep the lights on for another week is based around salty fans making wild conjecture and falls apart the moment you look at any actual reality.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

teagone posted:

I could see a Capcom version of Infinity being somewhat viable (https://infinity.disney.com/).
I just got really disappointed in myself when I realized that if Capcom released Street Fighter 5 with the Infinity model of buying action figures and plugging them in to use that character, I'd probably be into it.

And they could sell alternate costume action figures! And I could buy them!

But seriously, the future of Street Fighter is TF2/Dota style hats.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

cams posted:

I just got really disappointed in myself when I realized that if Capcom released Street Fighter 5 with the Infinity model of buying action figures and plugging them in to use that character, I'd probably be into it.

And they could sell alternate costume action figures! And I could buy them!

But seriously, the future of Street Fighter is TF2/Dota style hats.

I'd be okay with this if it got us continual updates, additional content/development, and diligent support.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012
So yall are saying costume packs are the past, hats are the future? Pretty much the same thing, isn't it?

Wanderer posted:

It's more likely that you'll see Street Fighter 5 before a new Marvel or Marvel-esque game
Yeah, I feel the same way. It's unfortunate. I don't like Ultra very much, but fixing/replacing Marvel is the more pressing issue to me.

"Capcom is: doing fine/not for sale/actually expanding/recently restructured so expect game announcements maybe later this year or more likely next year" should be added to every OP if Capcom is somehow involved in the topic.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
hats are individual pieces of a costume that you buy for each individual character, basically monetize 1/10th of whats in 1/5th of a costume pack, and charge 3 times as much.

then you make the game free.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

hats are individual pieces of a costume that you buy for each individual character, basically monetize 1/10th of whats in 1/5th of a costume pack, and charge 3 times as much.

then you make the game free.

I wouldn't hold out hope for that last part.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Who wants an evo hat

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Wanderer posted:

It's more likely that you'll see Street Fighter 5 before a new Marvel or Marvel-esque game, but Capcom is still in the black. This fan idea that they're selling their grandfather's watch to keep the lights on for another week is based around salty fans making wild conjecture and falls apart the moment you look at any actual reality.
Ha. Figures.

I guess the long-term effect of Disney coming out of loving nowhere and buying Lucasfilm is the idea that they could snap up just about any massive mismanaged IP and seriously start trying to make money with it.

Slow-Scan Shep fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 7, 2014

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
and other than their mobile games division, disney is really good at that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Maybe in another 10 years another Marvel will rise and it may even be better than marvel 2.

and maybe pigs will fly out of my rectum

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
It's Evo time already? :haw:

How many guys in fedoras will propose onstage this year?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I have seen the future, and it is Vega walldiving while wearing a tattered top hat and wielding a cast iron skillet.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just let me put Seth in some fuckin pants and a nice shirt.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Beef Waifu posted:

Just let me put Seth in some fuckin pants and a nice shirt.

I could just imagine Seth choking himself to death when he gets his tie caught in his yin-yang belly.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Do the games that are featured in tourney play typically go on sale during EVO? I know some goons mentioned fight sticks do. I kind of want my bro to get his own copy of SSF4AE/Ultra on Steam so I can stop sharing mine, heh.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Sunday schedule:
BBCP --> KI --> SMASH --> MARVEL --> USF4

Markman being a cool guy schedule:

unfortunately it's Bifuteki

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

papa_november posted:

I guess the long-term effect of Disney coming out of loving nowhere and buying Lucasfilm is the idea that they could snap up just about any massive mismanaged IP and start trying to make money with it.

The thing is that Capcom's IP aren't "mismanaged," for the most part. Street Fighter's healthy, Resident Evil had one game with a bad reputation and is otherwise one of the highest-selling franchises in the history of the medium, the DMC reboot came in under projects but still sold 1.1 million copies, and Monster Hunter is a money printer on two continents.

The perceived mismanagement comes entirely from fans who would prefer that something other than what has happened, be happening. (Although they did act like assholes about Mega Man Legends 3. That much is true.) It's projection, pure and simple, and it's probably inevitable considering how many popular, world-famous series came out of Capcom in the '90s.

Beef Waifu posted:

Maybe in another 10 years another Marvel will rise and it may even be better than marvel 2.

I would be very surprised if it took a decade for an MVC4 to happen. There has to be somebody at Marvel and/or Disney who looks at the sheer amount of exposure granted to their characters and IP through the tournament scene. Need to do some advance marketing for a new movie or TV show? Put that character in a fighting game and suddenly a bunch of meganerds know who he is. It worked for Rocket.

What I would be more concerned about is the game taking some form other than a plastic disc that you buy from a store.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
It's probably out of Capcom's hands if there's going to be an MvC4. Numbers are just examples, but if the profits were 70/30 Capcom before and Disney decides it's 70/30 Mouse or no go, what's Capcom going to do?

Besides, the community played MvC2 for a decade, if they did get tired of MvC3 they'd probably go back to 2.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

C. Everett Koop posted:

It's probably out of Capcom's hands if there's going to be an MvC4. Numbers are just examples, but if the profits were 70/30 Capcom before and Disney decides it's 70/30 Mouse or no go, what's Capcom going to do?

Besides, the community played MvC2 for a decade, if they did get tired of MvC3 they'd probably go back to 2.

lmao

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

C. Everett Koop posted:

How do you think these things work? Marvel didn't spontaneously sprout a fighting-games division in order to split the programming with Capcom; they licensed out their characters and Capcom made the game. The limit of Marvel's involvement was in PR, marketing, and lending out Frank Tieri (IIRC) to write the dialogue.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

C. Everett Koop posted:

Marvel 3 does seem to be dying down somewhat as of late, but it's not the kind of flat-out rejection you'd have to see to get Marvel 2 to come back.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

dragon enthusiast posted:

unfortunately it's Bifuteki

My favorite part is the JPG artifacts on the stream schedule represents the average quality of his streams.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
As lovely as the stream for it will be I'm gonna probably end up watching the P4A Top 8 to see LK lose, yet again. Also an Ultimax exhibition? Will we finally get to see gameplay of Adachi?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
http://shoryuken.com/2014/07/07/heres-your-full-evo-stream-schedule-powered-by-team-spooky-ipw-and-capcom-fighters/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I feel like there should be a warning that goes "this schedule will not be held to."

• Locked thread