Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Yeah, this is still happening.

I should start by telling you what the TV IV Awards are not: Hard to predict. Absurd as this sounds, it turns out that in a popularity contest, the shows with the most popular threads tend to get the vote. I could sit here and scheme ways to fix this, or I can focus on a couple of other truths about this little social experiment.

For one thing, yes, this is a social experiment, one that people seem to have fun with (despite my almost comical talent for fouling poo poo up). As much as people scream about how one show or one performance or another "deserves all the Emmys," it's fun to try to actually give out those hypothetical Emmys to one candidate over several other deserving candidates.

For another, this is an opportunity for people to learn a little more about the shows they've been missing, beyond the usual "This was nominated, this won, etc." More on that in a bit.

This whole thing is broken up into three phases.
  • Phase 1: Submission
    Before we can have nominees, we have to gather candidates to vote for. Go through the form and submit names, shows, even new categories. Any show that aired a complete season (or half-season) between May 2013 and June 2014 is eligible; obviously, so are the actors on that show.

I suggest you take a look at this and re-orient yourself with everything that aired over that period. That's the official 2014 Emmy nomination ballot for programs and it's got everything you want. If you want to get hardcore/have a death-by-mind-break wish, here are some other ballots relevant to the categories you'll be voting on:
    There are a few overrides I'm ready to make (for one, miniseries will compete with regular series in this contest), and you're welcome to include anything not on these ballots. Otherwise, we're voting along Emmy lines. If Emmy classifies a show as a comedy, it's in the comedy category. If Emmy designates an actor as supporting, he/she's a supporting player here.

If the Emmy links above go dead, let me know. I've downloaded them and will put them back up for your perusal.

• Phase 2: Nomination (7/13 - 7/20)
    Here's how the nomination vote works this year: For each category you vote on, you get a hundred points to spread out just about as you please. Two conditions: You can only give out up to 50 points per candidate, and you must award points to at least three candidates. If a candidate's point total passes a certain threshold, it clinches the nomination. What are those thresholds? I don't know! I'm feeling it out as I go along! YAY!
  • Phase 3: Winners (7/20 - 7/27)
    The Winners have been announced. Check the post below.

These dates are flexible and may be pushed in the event of forums downtime (which is actually why I waited so long to pull the trigger on this). There's also the matter of my wisdom teeth getting pulled in a couple of weeks; the nomination period might be extended depending on how long I have to alternate between hating life and tripping on painkillers.

Once you've voted or submitted all the names you can think of, there's still some things you can do to back this up.

One of the most common bits of feedback I've gotten in the past is that people loved doing this, but they weren't able to submit candidates or vote for nominees because they didn't realize that this was a thing until it was too late. So do me a favor: If you like this, spread the word. Don't be obnoxious about it, just go to the TV IV threads you frequent and let people know what's happening. More participants means more candidates, better categories, better nominees, and more fun.

You can also post in this thread to make a case for other candidates/nominees or organize new categories. I refer to this as "stumping." Write a paragraph or more about why your favorite candidate deserves to win a Golden Couch this year. If you write a really good stump, I could throw you some Amazon Fun Bucks for your trouble!

My Little Pony is still banned.

In previous years I've had a "One lead actor and one lead actress for every show" rule; that's out the window. It's now possible for multiple actors from the same show to be nominated as a lead. However, there will still be impositions placed to prevent one show from dominating a category because that's no fun.

Finally, I've always had a strict "No negativity" rule for these awards. This year I'm easing up on it because groaning about who won or who's getting screwed is part and parcel of any awards...thing. However, I'd still prefer you to keep the poo poo-talk about other shows to a minimum. If somebody's trolling by holding up 2 Broke Girls as an objectively better comedy than Veep, let it happen. Open your minds, respect the opinions of others, and don't just dismiss other winners with "GOONS! :jerkbag:" If you're going to disagree, make a case for someone else; there's a dozen other places in TV IV to be negative and I'd rather this wasn't one of them.

That's it for now. Here's the link to the current ballot. (Special thanks once again to Annakie, for graciously allowing me the use of her webspace.) In the post below I'll (eventually) have the categories and descriptions for them.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Full results are here. They'll be added to the OP proper in a few days.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 28, 2014

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Thanks for your help! You'll be able to vote for the nominees mid to late June.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
It's June 36th. :v:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

So it begins. :sigh:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I know Thorton and Freeman are the two Fargo actors everybody's talking about, but I just want to remind y'all that Colin Hanks also delivers an incredible, if not quite as memorable, performance in that series.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Haven't watched Fargo yet but Colin Hanks is generally pretty good. I liked him on The Good Guys. He was terrible on Dexter (where is that gif of him eating cereal) but I guess that goes to show you, you have to be MCH good to make that material work.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I liked his brief stint on Mad Men in season 2.

Colin Hanks: approximately as pleasant as his father, but for a fraction of the cost!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Has anybody had a problem with the form, particularly when they tried to submit multiple times? I'm not able to look at it yet, but somebody PMed me saying that he was thrown to the final page after selecting categories.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Irish Joe posted:

I know Thorton and Freeman are the two Fargo actors everybody's talking about, but I just want to remind y'all that Colin Hanks also delivers an incredible, if not quite as memorable, performance in that series.

It's definitely his second best work so far. Almost as good as his appearance in Dexter.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hey, guys, I'm taking a break from putting together the nominee ballot, but I just want it known that I need THREE MORE international comedies - preferably four - to justify the international categories. I've got six dramas (and I wouldn't mind having more, obviously), but only two comedies. So people not in the US or Canada: there's gotta be a few scripted shows from your home country that are reasonably popular and make you laugh. Please open my eyes!

And while I have you, I should let you guys know that Rectify is not eligible. It had to have finished its season before July; it only started in June. It'll be eligible next year. Sorry!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivisionPost posted:

And while I have you, I should let you guys know that Rectify is not eligible. It had to have finished its season before July; it only started in June. It'll be eligible next year. Sorry!

DivisionPost posted:

Any show that aired a complete season (or half-season) between May 2013 and June 2014 is eligible; obviously, so are the actors on that show.

Exactly half of Season One aired in May 2013. :colbert:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Hey, guys, I'm taking a break from putting together the nominee ballot, but I just want it known that I need THREE MORE international comedies - preferably four - to justify the international categories. I've got six dramas (and I wouldn't mind having more, obviously), but only two comedies. So people not in the US or Canada: there's gotta be a few scripted shows from your home country that are reasonably popular and make you laugh. Please open my eyes!

I just tried to add some international comedy nominations, but after I select it and hit "next", it just skips right to the "Thanks for your help!" page without letting me enter anything at all.

v v v Oh, I missed that post. Weirdly, though, I had already done some successful resubmissions.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 12, 2014

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

Has anybody had a problem with the form, particularly when they tried to submit multiple times? I'm not able to look at it yet, but somebody PMed me saying that he was thrown to the final page after selecting categories.

Guess that makes two.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

thexerox123 posted:

I just tried to add some international comedy nominations, but after I select it and hit "next", it just skips right to the "Thanks for your help!" page without letting me enter anything at all.

Bown posted:

Guess that makes two.

This is the EXACT problem I was posting about the other day. The guy asking about it apparently fixed it by using another computer; which, you know, isn't a fix at all.

I apologize for this pain in the rear end. Post your nominees in the thread and I'll add them. (It could use the activity anyway!)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

I apologize for this pain in the rear end. Post your nominees in the thread and I'll add them. (It could use the activity anyway!)

Well, would Episodes count as an International Comedy? It's a joint British/US production, so it's... half international, at least!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Its 2014. Can't we just acknowledge that foreigners suck at making tv?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Happy Valley was incredible, but other than that, sure.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

thexerox123 posted:

Well, would Episodes count as an International Comedy? It's a joint British/US production, so it's... half international, at least!

That's a good point! Let me think on this in my living room chambers.

EDIT: Yeah, I don't think I can count it, sorry.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 13, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

That's a good point! Let me think on this in my living room chambers.

EDIT: Yeah, I don't think I can count it, sorry.

Aw. :( I don't think it would really stand a chance at all in the main comedy category.

Edit: I should have remembered that underdog comedy was a perfectly good option for that show, so I'm happy, in the end!

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 14, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Oh my god I need to drink so much vodka right nowThanks for submitting candidates, everyone! It's now time to actually vote for nominees!

...Here's where it gets, uh, interesting. In the past, you've selected between two and six candidates for nomination. This system wasn't broke, so this year I decided to fix it!

Here's how the nomination vote works this year: For each category you vote on, you get a hundred points to spread out just about as you please. Two conditions: You can only give out up to 50 points per candidate, and you must award points to at least three candidates. If a candidate's point total passes a certain threshold, it clinches the nomination. What are those thresholds? I don't know! I'm feeling it out as I go along! YAY!

:siren:Here's the nomination ballot.:siren: Give it a shot, feel it out, and let me know what you think. If it's unsalvageable, I'll scrap it and give you guys a new ballot in the classic style. My hope, though, is that you find this style to be a lot more flexible and fun.

Thanks for bearing with me! Fingers crossed it works out! And no, I'm not actually going to go binge-drink vodka right now.

(I'm going for the rum instead. Vodka makes me crazy, rum makes me stupid.)

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The Big Bang Theory for underdog? Really, goons? Really?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Oh my god I need to drink so much vodka right nowThanks for submitting candidates, everyone! It's now time to actually vote for nominees!

Worth noting: the fields seem to accept negative numbers, and as long as you add more to another field to make it total 100%, it gives you the green go-ahead. (When I saw Big Bang Theory on there, I tried it on a whim, although didn't submit with it, tempting as it was.)

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, where the hell is Dog with a Blog for that section?

Not enough Mads Mikkelson in this, I'm disappointed. It's saturated with Game of Thrones.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Irish Joe posted:

Underdog categories are for shows that get less than 40 posts a week here.

EDIT: And for gently caress's sake, thanks for the heads up on the negative number workaround. I'm gonna have to delete any ballots that do that.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

If Cheers doesn't win legacy comedy... :argh:

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Ravane posted:

Yeah, where the hell is Dog with a Blog for that section?

Not enough Mads Mikkelson in this, I'm disappointed. It's saturated with Game of Thrones.

Gave Mads love and ignored everything GoT considering this was the worst of its four seasons by a significant margin.

But how was Hannibal not on the musical score ballot? :v:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just because the Emmys are really unfair doesn't mean we have to use a super convoluted nomination system in order to make ours seem better, really.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Is...Jack Gleeson supposed to be up for nomination in both Supporting Actor and Guest Actor?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

xeria posted:

Is...Jack Gleeson supposed to be up for nomination in both Supporting Actor and Guest Actor?

Nope, forgot to remove him from Supporting. TV IV Awards: The personification of :negative:!

Bown posted:

Just because the Emmys are really unfair doesn't mean we have to use a super convoluted nomination system in order to make ours seem better, really.

Oh no, I think we established two years ago that these awards aren't better. This system was implemented in the spirit of experimentation, and can I tell you something? It's a failure. I loving hate it. For some reason I was expecting the statistics to give me straight point totals for each category, but instead it gives me totals, means, medians, averages for each specific candidate without allowing me to do a side-by-side comparison, and really, why wouldn't it? The problem isn't the software itself, it's that I've completely misunderstood the purpose of a feature.

The only reason I'm still rolling with it is that it's still technically workable, and I don't want to tell the dozen+ people who voted "Do it again" for any other reason than abject failure. But I'm giving less of a poo poo about that; I may shut this down and whip up a classic form for you guys to peruse tonight. I've already noticed that some people -- not the majority, but enough -- are overwhelmed by this.

If you guys want to weigh in on this goat gently caress, do it now. Should I just let this be? Would you mind voting again? Either way you're not seeing this system ever again, I guarantee you that.

EDIT: Actually, I might have a way to restart this without forcing people to re-vote. If I can make it work, then I'm just going to switch it over. Will keep you posted. Again, my deepest apologies for this.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 14, 2014

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

If this wins anything, I will write a long protest. I support people's opinions but I will disagree with this a lot especially since BBT is one of the most popular shows on TV.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 14, 2014

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

If you guys want to weigh in on this goat gently caress, do it now. Should I just let this be? Would you mind voting again? Either way you're not seeing this system ever again, I guarantee you that.

EDIT: Actually, I might have a way to restart this without forcing people to re-vote. If I can make it work, then I'm just going to switch it over. Will keep you posted. Again, my deepest apologies for this.

I really would prefer to do it the other way, whatever it takes. Although I know I'm only one guy

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
I voted yesterday but I would be fine with voting again if you want to go back to the old system.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I wish Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy and Lead Actress Comedy could be broken down into smaller categories because I could watch these people mow grass and I'd enjoy it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Okay, here's where we stand: If you want to vote for nominees, don't wait up for me, just use the current form. If I decide to switch over, it could take a while to re-do all the questions, and there are a couple of kinks that further complicate a theoretical switchover. It's enough that I don't WANT to go through the trouble if I don't have to.

In that tradition, if you don't like or are frustrated by the current form, or if you wouldn't mind redoing your vote (and again, you may not have to), say something. Obviously I don't you to flood the thread, but the more I realize that it's not just me and a couple of other people who think this is hosed, the more I'll be motivated to fix it. (The hard data agrees; so far 22 people managed to complete the form, only six gave up.) So speak up.

Thanks, guys.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 14, 2014

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

So the 100 points thing wasn't in previous voting systems? How did that work?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

DivisionPost posted:

Okay, here's where we stand: If you want to vote for nominees, don't wait up for me, just use the current form. If I decide to switch over, it could take a while to re-do all the questions, and there are a couple of kinks that further complicate a theoretical switchover. It's enough that I don't WANT to go through the trouble if I don't have to.

In that tradition, if you don't like or are frustrated by the current form, or if you wouldn't mind redoing your vote (and again, you may not have to), say something. Obviously I don't you to flood the thread, but the more I realize that it's not just me and a couple of other people who think this is hosed, the more I'll be motivated to fix it. (The hard data agrees; so far 22 people managed to complete the form, only six gave up.) So speak up.

Thanks, guys.

I don't mind redoing the form, as long as it's a bit more streamlined.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

tadashi posted:

So the 100 points thing wasn't in previous voting systems? How did that work?

From the pool of nominees you just selected between three and six people whom you wanted to move forward.

Ravane posted:

I don't mind redoing the form, as long as it's a bit more streamlined.

Can you go into a little more detail about this? How do you mean "streamlined"? Was the process too complicated? Too much information at once?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
How hard is it to put 50/49/1, 40/30/30 or 12/6/23/14/8/9/1/0/23/4 in a bunch of categories? You guys are terrible autists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

How hard is it to put 50/49/1, 40/30/30 or 12/6/23/14/8/9/1/0/23/4 in a bunch of categories? You guys are terrible autists.

I think the hard part is narrowing down who to vote for the nominations and how much credit to get them? I am a little concerned that I like too many things and I'm not giving enough weight to the ones I want to see nominated in certain categories. I wouldn't mind just voting for a certain number if that's the alternative. It beats letting someone game the system and vote 50-30-20 on everything, if that's possible.

• Locked thread