Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Oklahoma's major metro areas really lack that "southern" vibe as well. I can't speak much for the deep rural areas which are admittedly the vast majority of the state, if not it's population, but in my sadly extensive experience, Oklahomans would much rather be though of as cowboys and westerners (in the classic, western-movie sense) than they would southerners. Most of the no-shirt-coveralls-confederate-flag-on-my-pickup-truck assholes are spillovers from other states. At least, that's what I tell myself to make it less embarrassing to be an Oklahoman. Tulsa is awesome though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Oh ok well if casual racism and voting Republican are how you want to define "southern" than yeah we sure are, although those things are hardly unique to the south, and are I think a little reductive of an assessment of southern culture. Racists and Republicans are everywhere. Are they more densely concentrated in the south? Sure. But I don't really think those are defining characteristics of what makes a place culturally southern.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
"Those sugar water guzzling racist cocksuckers who probably couldn't force a coherent sentence out past their remaining tooth if somebody else wrote it down for them first are so intolerant, I wish somebody would just burn down all their houses"

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

SedanChair posted:

The entire country has huge problems with bigotry, but if a person begins to denigrate the white South there's hope for them.

...to continue perpetuating the same problems that make life worse for all of us?

why yes i agree

Edit: Basically you're saying people just need to refocus their bigotry in the correct directions?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Jastiger posted:

Jastiger chiming in to say thay my support of Sherman isn't some salting of the earth bullshit, it's the direct and targeted action at the people responsible for Bad Things. Nucleicxacid or whatever poo poo ' my comparison with an Economic Sherman March. I think it's quite apt. A targeted and direct redistribution and power stripping of the white establishment would do a lot of good, perhaps more good than rallies and pamphlet handing out.

That's great and all but it is still misdirected petty regionalism. I think a vast majority of posters on these forum would agree that the entire political establishment in the nation as a whole on pretty much every level falls far short of being truly representative of the populations that they are supposedly representing. Why is it so hard to imagine that the same thing is true in so-called southern politics? Yes many of the state governments are regressive as all hell, and the federal delegations aren't better, but that has precisely nothing to do with their 'southernness.'

If you think regressive, anti-democratic politics and an entrenched rich, white establishment are problems exclusive to the south, I just don't know what to tell you.

• Locked thread