Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Speaking as someone from one of those awkward In-the-South-yet-not-Southern areas (Central/South Florida), the system won't change unless things go completely to hell or someone forces it to. The Democratic party in this state is a punchline and the state government is on GOP lockdown despite Florida often swinging blue in presidential elections. The entire system is hosed and unfucking it will require a great deal of force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Florida would probably turn into a blue state without much effort if we had an actual Democratic party in the state. I've been to supposed conventions for it in this state, and it's a bunch of suspicious old men who have no interest in genuine progressive ideas or putting in any actual effort. The GOP dominates Florida by default, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's a similar situation in other Southern states.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

computer parts posted:

There's a massive brain drain in any red state's Democratic Party because you can get an easier job quickly if you have talent and are willing to move.

It's slightly surprising for Florida because it's a swing state but it's also been through the last stages of realignment.

Florida is a major swing state, in my experience as a Floridian, because while the state government is on GOP lockdown the actual Florida population stops being overwhelmingly conservative from Orlando on down.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Job Truniht posted:

If it's the former, I'd really like to see the argument that "Northerners are the real racists ™".

Northerners aren't the real racists, they're also real racists, historically less institutionalized and overt than in the South, but just as real and just as toxic.

• Locked thread