Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korthal
May 26, 2011

This is really confusing me :confused: .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

if you need the period you didn't use the right emote:arnie:

MY BF LESLIE SAID
Jun 9, 2006

by Lowtax
if you end a sentence with an emote I'm going to assume you're flirting with me you stupid bitch!!

Mud Shark
May 12, 2012
notice that im not using a period when i end this sentence with :gas:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

MY BF LESLIE SAID posted:

if you end a sentence with an emote I'm going to assume you're flirting with me you stupid bitch!!

ayy boy :11tea:

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The emote goes after the punctuation. :colbert:

you retard

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

you retard

what about in the middle of a paragraph like say i am kidding ;). would make more sense than i am kidding. ;) if there are multiple sentences in a paragraph

is there an mla guide on this

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

THS posted:

what about in the middle of a paragraph like say i am kidding ;). would make more sense than i am kidding. ;) if there are multiple sentences in a paragraph

i think they behead you in the middle east for stuff like that

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
emotes imply punctuation

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

THS posted:

No, that doesn't work. It has to be after sentence close but before the next one begins. Once you :woop: know the rules, you can break them. :coal:

e: hosed up

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
i too struggle with this

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

I used to care, then they upped my medication.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Waltzing Along posted:

you retard

Some of the wordy emotes could be part of the sentence. I'd post an example, but that would be too much :effort:.

Maybe I should just :getout:?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
^^^ this is a good example of one who has learned the rules and also how to break them. :bravo:

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

you retard

But, doesn't that make the emote separate from the sentence? I could say like "I'm gay. ;) " and people might not associate the ;) with me sayin j/k to the "I'm gay" part.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

the correct answer is that no one really knows

MY BF LESLIE SAID
Jun 9, 2006

by Lowtax
it's the wutang secret, OP

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Korthal posted:

But, doesn't that make the emote separate from the sentence? I could say like "I'm gay. ;) " and people might not associate the ;) with me sayin j/k to the "I'm gay" part.

it is very important for the speaker/writer to communicate well. but after a point (pun) it is up to the communicatee to understand. in other words, ppl r dum

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

i dunno i just do w/e :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
Place the emoticon after the punctuation. Then punch yourself in the face for using an emoticon.

• Locked thread