Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ribsauce posted:

Does Detroit allow concealed carry? I am not a paranoid gun owner but if I lived there I would get strapped up like Arnold in Commando to go to the mailbox.

michigan is an open carry state and there are no city-specific gun laws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This video owns

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Planet X posted:

What industry was there?

Furniture, tobacco, all kinds of manufacturing and rail. All of it is now gone due to extremely poor investment in infrastructure and Virgina committing educational suicide.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

A World Without Us is a pretty cool book, basically most modern style wood frame buildings only last around 50 years.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

huskarl_marx posted:

someone make this or supply me a link if its real

Miranda Lambert, Gunpowder and Lead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHGPmbu3QNk

My relatives like lovely music :banjo:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Satisfaction Guaranteed posted:

Did they put up that statue of Robocop yet?

Yes but it got stolen for scrap overnight

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
They should make Escape From Detroit. Would be pretty dope.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

I am Toni Lippi posted:

It would just involve driving out on one of the virtually vacant freeways. As a southern california the fact that the freeways always seem just empty weirds me out.

naem
May 29, 2011

I am Toni Lippi posted:

It would just be some guy volunteering for military service and then attending a state college in another part of the country as a 24 year old

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Chinatown posted:

It would just involve driving out on one of the virtually vacant freeways. As a southern california the fact that the freeways always seem just empty weirds me out.

On a side note the whole design of the city was car focused which was another knock against the place.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Im only familiar with robocop 2, demolition man and its always sunny in philadelphia. How does Philly stack up to Detroit?

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW

I dunno OP, the idea of farmland in an urban area seems peaceful too me, also, no nosy neighbors to worry about.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Design Spots posted:

I dunno OP, the idea of farmland in an urban area seems peaceful too me, also, no nosy neighbors to worry about.

No, I agree. I hope more farming happens. Its a great idea. Its still a failed city because, well, cornfields and no neighbors for a half mile isn't a city.

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW

Chinatown posted:

No, I agree. I hope more farming happens. Its a great idea. Its still a failed city because, well, cornfields and no neighbors for a half mile isn't a city.

11 of those houses are burned husks by the way. the city ran out of money years ago for demo.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

katlington posted:

Im only familiar with robocop 2, demolition man and its always sunny in philadelphia. How does Philly stack up to Detroit?

hard to compare since Philadelphia had positive population growth in the last decade.

also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jMhoGUiIkk

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Design Spots posted:

11 of those houses are burned husks by the way. the city ran out of money years ago for demo.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MotorCityMuckraker/videos

This channel is amazing and is great if you want to watch a city burn/get demolished. Building by building.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

katlington posted:

Philadelphia is pretty awesome. The last 20-30 years have seen many neighborhoods gentrified and multiple skyscrapers built. They just got approval to start building this, which will be the eighth tallest building in the US:

There's always a few up and coming neighborhoods being rebuilt when the gentrified ones become too expensive.

Like any big city, there are still a lot of poor areas that can be dangerous, but they are pretty easy to avoid. Unless of course you go to university here: most of the universities are in pretty bad areas.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 8, 2014

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Design Spots posted:

Looks like the shittiest game of SimCity ever.

Kirk Johnson
May 25, 2014

by Ralp
People asking about concealed carry and stand your ground laws are getting it all wrong; "laws" imply someone will hold you to task if you break them, which doesn't apply here. loving blast that fool and hide him in the crawlspace of one of the derelict houses on your street - ain't no-one gonna give a gently caress, least of all the cops.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlvBdJOurCg

Firefighters don't have enough fire to warm themselves between extinguishing fires.

It was resolved but uh, guys, thats a bad look.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

NotWearingPants posted:

Philadelphia is pretty awesome. The last 20-30 years have seen many neighborhoods gentrified and multiple skyscrapers built. They just got approval to start building this, which will be the eighth tallest building in the US:

There's always a few up and coming neighborhoods being rebuilt when the gentrified ones become too expensive.

Like any big city, there are still a lot of poor areas that can be dangerous, but they are pretty easy to avoid. Unless of course you go to university here: most of the universities are in pretty bad areas.

I don't think its possible to sound less cool than you do in this whitedad.txt post.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Xaris posted:

i don't have a big enough cock to compete with all the big black dickin' they get :(

i'll stick to SF where i have to compete with tiny asian dicks so my average white dick seems enormous

Look at this guy underestimating the level of racism present in Michigan...

Seriously though, the city has been actively changing recently, and it's very weird. All my life Detroit's been either this wasted urban sprawl, or else you're on Woodward Ave where all the fancy stuff is and the white folk feel comfortable visiting. Recently though, all these hipster art types have been moving in and acting like the city is some undiscovered gem instead of the moldy turd it has been for some time, putting on shows in derelict factories and acting like they're so hard because of it. That giant graffiti at the city entrance someone mentioned earlier itt I'm almost sure was the Russel Industrial Center which is considered one of the nicer art galleries in town. It all reeks of pitiful delusion that's going to come crashing down into reality one of these days.

(Total Michigoon honeypot thread here, btw)

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

DTW is a fantastic airport.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Chinatown posted:

noted traffic free freeways 275, 745, and 96 hahahahahahahahaha

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

etalian posted:

A World Without Us is a pretty cool book, basically most modern style wood frame buildings only last around 50 years.
I read a magazine article which applied that to NYC once. The subways would flood completely within weeks and the only buildings left standing after a few decades would basically be old stone construction like St Paul's.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Secks Cauldron posted:

I read a magazine article which applied that to NYC once. The subways would flood completely within weeks and the only buildings left standing after a few decades would basically be old stone construction like St Paul's.

Yeah basically NYC was built over multiple rivers and depends on electric power to pump out all the underground water.

NYC is a interesting case of city that had the standard urban decay story but came back due to inherent strengths such as having a good location/diverse economy.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
nyc is interesting in that it continued to thrive despite the best efforts of people like robert moses to kill it stone loving dead

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
if we turned the whole city into one 500 lane freeway it would greatly improve the flow of holiday vacationers to long island

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree
I was in Detroit all day today for business.

Its like a bigger Cleveland. Busy and decent downtown center, absolute blight and horror surrounding it, countless ancient factories and warehouses left abandoned for decades or even outright crumbling, houses the same, drive 10-20 miles in any direction and you're back to normal civilization.

Just like Cleveland only bigger since Detroit is what, like 1/5th the size it was when it was a top 4? city in population.

:shrug:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

say no to bats posted:

Its like a bigger Cleveland. Busy and decent downtown center, absolute blight and horror surrounding it, countless ancient factories and warehouses left abandoned for decades or even outright crumbling, houses the same, drive 10-20 miles in any direction and you're back to normal civilization.

Just like Cleveland only bigger since Detroit is what, like 1/5th the size it was when it was a top 4? city in population.

lol

Basically went from peak population of around 2 million to 700,000

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

etalian posted:

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3imSKAvgmY

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW
fix it

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

etalian posted:

lol

In the 1950 census, Detroit peaked at 1.849 million people and Cleveland at 914k people.

Detroit was the 4th biggest city in the country, Cleveland the 7th.

Today, Cleveland has 396k people (and dropping) and Detroit has 681k people (and plummeting)

Detroit is the 18th largest city and Cleveland the 48th today.

The rust belt!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9uzDelNvDg

This guy owns. Also, Detroit is a loving mess.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

say no to bats posted:

In the 1950 census, Detroit peaked at 1.849 million people and Cleveland at 914k people.

Detroit was the 4th biggest city in the country, Cleveland the 7th.

Today, Cleveland has 396k people (and dropping) and Detroit has 681k people (and plummeting)

Detroit is the 18th largest city and Cleveland the 48th today.

The rust belt!

This is the best PR video for Cleveland:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW

Gonkish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9uzDelNvDg

This guy owns. Also, Detroit is a loving mess.

we are the most advanced war machine on the planet, we save other countries from themsel, we cause wars where wars aren't needed.

on you man

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Design Spots posted:

we are the most advanced war machine on the planet, we save other countries from themsel, we cause wars where wars aren't needed.

on you man

It owns how Detroit had insane military production during WWII but now the skeletal remains of the city get sold to China.

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.

the black husserl posted:

detroit has the best electronic music in america. there's money in the d, FXHE, gently caress the haters

Amen. My yearly pilgrimage to the D for Movement is always the start of my summer. Been going 12 years straight. Yes, the outskirts of Detroit are crazy in terms of burned out buildings and wide open city blocks of prairie, but downtown has gotten really nice compared to 2002.

djhaloeight fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 8, 2014

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Choco1980 posted:

Look at this guy underestimating the level of racism present in Michigan...

Seriously though, the city has been actively changing recently, and it's very weird. All my life Detroit's been either this wasted urban sprawl, or else you're on Woodward Ave where all the fancy stuff is and the white folk feel comfortable visiting. Recently though, all these hipster art types have been moving in and acting like the city is some undiscovered gem instead of the moldy turd it has been for some time, putting on shows in derelict factories and acting like they're so hard because of it. That giant graffiti at the city entrance someone mentioned earlier itt I'm almost sure was the Russel Industrial Center which is considered one of the nicer art galleries in town. It all reeks of pitiful delusion that's going to come crashing down into reality one of these days.

(Total Michigoon honeypot thread here, btw)

Sounds like the Lower East Side of Manhattan in the 60's.

In fact, that's exactly what you just described.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

say no to bats posted:

I disagree, Cleveland downtown runs into Tremont, ohio city, gordon square, lakewood and keeps going, all well inhabited. You must be talking about East Cleveland, or some places south of Lorain or Clark, but even those places are a little better than what I was seeing in Detroit.

• Locked thread