Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Design Spots posted:

I dunno OP, the idea of farmland in an urban area seems peaceful too me, also, no nosy neighbors to worry about.

Turning greyfield (stuff that has been built on then abandoned) into farmland is actually hard and very expensive - you've generally got to redo drainage, safely remove services (sewer lines, cables), get contamination surveys (because builders WILL dump toxic poo poo all over the place), remove tons of rubble, and replace a whole bunch of missing topsoil that generally often stripped off the land before it's sold to property developers. Even worse if the area had some minor industry (like a car shop) that gets abandoned and leaks motor oil into the soil, effectively ruining it for decades to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

cynic posted:

Turning greyfield (stuff that has been built on then abandoned) into farmland is actually hard and very expensive - you've generally got to redo drainage, safely remove services (sewer lines, cables), get contamination surveys (because builders WILL dump toxic poo poo all over the place), remove tons of rubble, and replace a whole bunch of missing topsoil that generally often stripped off the land before it's sold to property developers. Even worse if the area had some minor industry (like a car shop) that gets abandoned and leaks motor oil into the soil, effectively ruining it for decades to come.

Counterpoint: Food grown there is probably still healthier than the pink sugar wafers and little hugs they consume in Detroit.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

cynic posted:

also while the sum total of acerage that is open is massive, shots like that are pretty drat rare, as most of the neighborhoods still have tons of houses in them, they are just burned out shells or whatever.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I don't know what they're gonna do with all that land. The farming thing is a neat idea, but it would be pretty expensive to clear away all the burnt out houses, much less tear up the streets/underground pipes and utilities.

Move everyone towards the city center and just pretend the derelict lots don't exist. Would also be a good spot for an Escape From New York-style futureprison.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hope Detroit strikes it rich being the base of most fantasy/sci-fi movies for the next 30 years with that new greenbelt, most unique place in the modern world.

naem
May 29, 2011

How profitable is farming though? Is there a market demand for more corn? The government sometimes pays people money not to farm to avoid huge grain surpluses in some years.

You could buy up a bunch of land and register it as a farm and get paid not to farm it guess good business strategy

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Nonsense posted:

Hope Detroit strikes it rich being the base of most fantasy/sci-fi movies for the next 30 years with that new greenbelt, most unique place in the modern world.

lol this was literally going to happen and then Sndyer got rid of the tax breaks for movie studios

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The only solution is to just return it to a rural area. That's what the population density is dictating. The city should clean every plot before releasing it for sale though. That would take a huge amount of money that they probably don't have but what else is there (besides letting it sit there forever and let the soil contain contaminants).

The sci-fi movie thing would rule though. Speaking of rust belt's making movies, Captain America Winter Soldier had a lot of poo poo filmed in Cleveland. We let them shut down the Shoreway (the main freeway from the west side to downtown) for like $8. Kind of botched that one, but I guess the first one is free?

e: Oh, it was $20 http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-news/cleveland-metro/captain-america-paid-cleveland-20-to-film-on-closed-shoreway-for-two-weeks I'm going to rent the shoreway for a couple weeks and turn it into a big outdoor party.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Move out and let it return to the earth, 20 years later open the weirdest nature preserve

yeah you can go walk around in there just make sure a bear doesn't clock you with an old muffler assembly and take your wallet

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
I've lived in the suburbs of Detroit my whole life and I honestly can say that I believe my opinion holds more weight than yours.

naem
May 29, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

Move out and let it return to the earth, 20 years later open the weirdest nature preserve

yeah you can go walk around in there just make sure a bear doesn't clock you with an old muffler assembly and take your wallet

You'd come back and the grandchildren of today's residents would still be there wearing gmc and ford trucker caps they fashioned out of twigs and berries still waiting for industry to return

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

WoodrowSkillson posted:

lol this was literally going to happen and then Sndyer got rid of the tax breaks for movie studios

They cut back on film subsidies, not tax breaks. Trying to buy friends, especially Hollywood ones, is a terrible loving idea.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

haha that guy is out to murder all blacks and hip-hop listening whites

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Design Spots posted:

I dunno OP, the idea of farmland in an urban area seems peaceful too me, also, no nosy neighbors to worry about.

just want to walk around the empty lots planting trees, slowly turn the suburbs into rural forest

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The population needs to get removed (mass graves OK) and the housing needs to be bulldozed. Starting over is the only way forward at this juncture.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Detroit should build Apple products, not China.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

R-Type posted:

The population needs to get removed (mass graves OK) and the housing needs to be bulldozed. Starting over is the only way forward at this juncture.

That's terrible, I mean what if you buy house and find out it's been built upon a Detroit mass grave and you're haunted by rapping ghosts.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Nonsense posted:

Detroit should build Apple products, not China.

How do you train hard rear end thugs to build electronics when all they know is bitches, weed and money?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

For one thing American workers are scared stiff about leaking potentially cool new products, and losing their jobs, unlike greedy chinese workers who poo poo all over american enterprise

All chinese know is poverty and communism, yet they still make the highest margin consumer products on the planet

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
I like all these people who "Don't give up on Detroit" or don't want to "Give up on the city that made them" but literally do nothing for it, just talk about it for PR reasons.

Not that I care if they actually do give to the city, but really, please, just stop acting like people other than people that live there actually care about it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The reason the film stuff got pulled was because the state government had no idea what it was getting into in the first place, and it all blew up in their faces. The idea behind film tax breaks was that the studios would come in on that, and spend all their money on michigan stuff. The reality is that Hollywood brings all their own stuff with them, including even the goddamn toilets. The only things they were spending money on were the property rights that they were getting the obscene deals on. So obscene that Michigan lost money everytime.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

etalian posted:

This is the best PR video for Cleveland:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY

Actually, his follow-up video is way more appropriate for this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

cynic posted:

Someone from Detroit needs to go out and find a G.E.C.K.

Phatty2x4
Dec 11, 2002
Masseous Gaseous Produceous

Count Freebasie posted:

Someone from Detroit needs to go out and find a G.E.C.K.

Perhaps OCP should now step in

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

Count Freebasie posted:

Actually, his follow-up video is way more appropriate for this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

"Our main export is crippling depression."

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

I've lived in the suburbs of Detroit my whole life and I honestly can say that I believe my opinion holds more weight than yours.

ive been in SE MI my entire life as well, within 15 miles of the city at all times.

it owns.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
also:

quote:

Desperate calls for help from the United Nations aren’t just for war-torn and developing nations anymore. The city of Detroit—a city that has been on the brink in many ways—in an effort to balance its books, has begun shutting off water access to city residents behind on their payments. While that may seem like what happens to anyone when they don’t pay their bills, Detroit is a unique case—nearly half of the 323,900 residents who use the utility are delinquent, according to the Detroit Free Press. To make matters worse, Al-Jazeera America reports, Detroit’s average monthly water bill is nearly double the national average of $40. The Detroit City Council approved a 9 percent hike last week.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2014/06/23/detroit_shuts_off_water_for_residents_united_nations_asked_to_help.html

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

the water system is meant to serve more people than it does. its still gotta be maintained. they need more people in the system to keep the costs per user down.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

FogHelmut posted:

the water system is meant to serve more people than it does. its still gotta be maintained. they need more people in the system to keep the costs per user down.

in the article it says that half the population are deliquant on the water bills (lol)

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I prefer to think of it as a successful Fallout simulator, op.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

Nonsense posted:

Only Lovers Left Alive is set in Detroit and there's quite a few striking shots that could only be achieved there. Driving around suburbs with no streetlights and empty husks of homes, with wolves and deer running around. And disposing of bodies in random pools of toxic waste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TbxI_oRSKI

KillTylerDurden
May 15, 2004
I watched Fight Club one too many times.

FogHelmut posted:

Pretty much this. Also, the surrounding cities get their water from Detroit, paying a high rate to subsidize underutilized water infrastructure in Detroit.

My gut is telling me that when the state took over Belle Isle, the water supply inlet at the east end of the Isle was a huge motivator.

Favorite thing about Detroit: When peoplecrackheads steal central air conditioners that are still hooked up. They hit the coolant lines with a sawzall, throw the unit in a truck and speed off. These guys are usually malnourished, often high, and trying to lift an A/C unit weighing hundreds of pounds, with super cold coolant spraying everywhere. It goes about as smoothly as you're presuming.

Also, I know this guy from Detroit... Between he and his baby mama: 14 kids, zero jobs.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

KillTylerDurden posted:

Favorite thing about Detroit: When peoplecrackheads steal central air conditioners that are still hooked up. They hit the coolant lines with a sawzall, throw the unit in a truck and speed off. These guys are usually malnourished, often high, and trying to lift an A/C unit weighing hundreds of pounds, with super cold coolant spraying everywhere. It goes about as smoothly as you're presuming.

I would absolutely love a video of this.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Gonkish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9uzDelNvDg

This guy owns. Also, Detroit is a loving mess.

Holy poo poo this is amazing and so depressing.

naem posted:

How profitable is farming though? Is there a market demand for more corn? The government sometimes pays people money not to farm to avoid huge grain surpluses in some years.

You could buy up a bunch of land and register it as a farm and get paid not to farm it guess good business strategy

Not at all. Most places need government assistance so yeah welp gently caress.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 8, 2014

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Design Spots posted:

Generally the people who end up working on those farms are illegal immigrants or the urban poor, and they aren't so pleased.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It is time to make robot cop a reality, he already saved Detroit 3-4 times he can do it again.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Saved? Delta City would have saved Detroit, Robocop is an evil motherfucker.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

It is time to make robot cop a reality, he already saved Detroit 3-4 times he can do it again.

Yeah but 2 1/2 of the times he saved Detroit weren't very entertaining.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Al Nipper posted:

Only Lovers Left Alive is set in Detroit and there's quite a few striking shots that could only be achieved there. Driving around suburbs with no streetlights and empty husks of homes, with wolves and deer running around. And disposing of bodies in random pools of toxic waste.

according to that movie detroit is coming back, this is a great time to invest there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Al Nipper posted:

I was thinking all those empty buildings would be a great place to hide bodies.

• Locked thread