Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turdriver
May 31, 2014

by XyloJW

Arian_Samurai posted:

Yeah, it's the drivers fault the car accelerated off a cliff, they could have just turned the engine off as they were plunging to their doom
if you got to the point where youre flying off a cliff bc the pedal on your gay little 2 litre engined car gets stuck you deserve ur inevitable death and license revoked postmortem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shithouse Dave posted:

Does Michigan have stand your ground laws? Every time I've thought about them I've though what a poo poo idea, but Detroit might be one place I'd agree with them, if the police aren't even going to show up to stuff.

Trust me Michigan's state government has done it's absolute and total best to destroy the city of Detroit, which is funny because Detroit is going to drag the entire state with it to hell.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
The Tigers are doing alright.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
I love how you look at Detroit and it's a post industrial hellscape of urban decay, but you go a few miles across the river to Canada, and everything is clean and nice. Kind of shows you everything that's wrong with America vs other developed first world countries.

These places are within like 5 miles of each other:

Canada:

Detroit:

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 7, 2014

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Like dust in the wind.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Cmdrmonkey posted:

I love how you look at Detroit and it's a post industrial hellscape of urban decay, but you go a few miles across the river to Canada, and everything is clean and nice. Kind of shows you everything that's wrong with America vs other developed first world countries.

I'd rather live in Detroit than Canada.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Owns/is sad as poo poo.

:rip:

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
My favorite part of this thread is how multiple people don't know what a suburb is. I mean, there's a lot of dumb poo poo in this thread, but how do you not know what a suburb is?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

goddamn

slightly better than parts of southern virginia though

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

BigBoss posted:

My favorite part of this thread is how multiple people don't know what a suburb is. I mean, there's a lot of dumb poo poo in this thread, but how do you not know what a suburb is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34u_3Z9_LUw

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Jan 17, 2001

Forum Veteran

CharlestonJew posted:

Voted 5 for jewish lightning

Did they put up that statue of Robocop yet?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Business Gorillas posted:

i once heard a country song where a cheery white woman sings about getting abused by her husband and has enough so she shotguns him in the face when he's passed out drunk

indeed country music rules

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

The Brown Menace posted:

i don't think jewish lightning

Holy poo poo thank you for this

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cmdrmonkey posted:

detroit is pretty bad but i went to montreal and remember driving past lots of blasted out warehouses and industrial sites.

would rather live in montreal though

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 7, 2014

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

CharlestonJew posted:

goddamn

slightly better than parts of southern virginia though

yeah there is literally nothing in southern Virginia, all the industry is gone. All of it.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

Chinatown posted:

I'd rather live in Detroit than Canada.

are you loving serious

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

BigBoss posted:

It's either this or jewish lightning for me too

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cream_Filling posted:

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Going to preemptively call this thread racist. The Canada talk already put us on the rails for it.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Wasn't there a goon who wanted to buy some land in Detroit and turn it into a zombie paintball thing?

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
futurists love Detroit because it's a preview what the rest of the country will look like in 50 years.

people who hate on the rust belt have probably never lived in it; if you have, then the hate is so obvious you don't need to point it out and you can instead focus on the positive things like the burgeoning apocalyptic art movement. why the gently caress would you pay $15 to see the new Road Warrior in the theater when you can just open your blinds?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

boom boom boom posted:

Wasn't there a goon who wanted to buy some land in Detroit and turn it into a zombie paintball thing?

Leave it to goons to think of combining zombies and paintball.

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

Alexzandvar posted:

It's funny because people love to blame Detroit for it's problems when the state government has been trying to flush the city down the toilet for 25 years. Why are they doing it? Hint: it has to do with the majority race of people who live in the city.

The city government elected by that same majority is doing a great job of that without any help from racist boogeymen. I don't understand why people go all racist conspiracy about Detroit when its clear they are just reaping what's been sown by the populace for years.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Laughing Man posted:

The city government elected by that same majority is doing a great job of that without any help from racist boogeymen. I don't understand why people go all racist conspiracy about Detroit when its clear they are just reaping what's been sown by the populace for years.

Every time a bill has come up that might in any way help the city it's immediately smuggled in it's crib.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Cream_Filling posted:

definitely the jewish lightning

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Cream_Filling posted:

I can't believe so many of you haven't heard this term before. That and "Mexican overdrive" go waaay back.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Why are so many of the houses falling in on themselves? Buildings don't auto-implode after four years of no use...is there a gang of kids with sledgehammers just taking poo poo out for fun?

Now that I think about it I would probably be doing exactly that if I was a kid in that kind of environment.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Nuts and Gum posted:

Why are so many of the houses falling in on themselves? Buildings don't auto-implode after four years of no use...is there a gang of kids with sledgehammers just taking poo poo out for fun?

Now that I think about it I would probably be doing exactly that if I was a kid in that kind of environment.

Yeah, there''s a good chance all those houses had their walls tore up so people could get at the copper wire.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Alexzandvar posted:

yeah there is literally nothing in southern Virginia, all the industry is gone. All of it.

What industry was there?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There's a pretty good VICE piece about how tons of people in Detroit make a living just salvaging poo poo and selling it to scrap yards. They're called 'scrappers.'

One guy said he just steals poo poo from one scrap yard and sells it to another to make the big bucks, but then there's more of a risk of getting shot.

And then the Chinese are just buying all the scrap from us to fuel their own industries because it's cheaper than mining new ore.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

Nuts and Gum posted:

You kind of just answered your own question. Scavengers gut them for anything of value: copper piping, wiring, appliances, fixtures, etc. And they often tear the places apart to get at that stuff. Sometimes they torch the places when finished.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 8, 2014

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
DELTA CITY

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland
VICE also had a documentary about Detroit with Johnny Knoxville and the underground clubbing that is emerging downtown its pretty cool.

Silver Gadget
Apr 17, 2006

Dunk town USA!

Yeah its about 40 seconds in and there is a KFC ad that plays in the beginning so no one is gonna watch this. But honestly a good way to rebuild the economy of Detroit is to put adjustable basketball hoops with balls at every intersection in Detroit.

Silver Gadget fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 8, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Really the whole Midwest of the country just kind of blows.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah, there''s a good chance all those houses had their walls tore up so people could get at the copper wire.

This a thousand times.

Seriously not only are you getting to smash up someone's walls, doors, etc... you get to rip out the copper and sell it for a lot of bucks.

Whose gonna stop you? The cops? LOL they don't care / won't even bother coming out to that area cause they aren't being paid.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Really the whole Midwest of the country just kind of blows.

Wisconsin is a blast. We've got slenderman kids goin round stabbin each other, suit case murder cops who chop up women and put them in suitcases, Dahmer, Ed Geen, the list just goes on...

But at least our cops get there in under an hour and the place isn't falling apart. Yet...

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot

Business Gorillas posted:

i once heard a country song where a cheery white woman sings about getting abused by her husband and has enough so she shotguns him in the face when he's passed out drunk

someone make this or supply me a link if its real

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
lol the detroit police will respond to a shooting or a stabbing MAYBE, depending on the neighborhood. actually saw a guy a few weeks ago who went to report his car stolen(older white male) and the cops straight up told him we dont give a gently caress, maybe YOU can find it tho?

but yeah dont break into a house in detroit you will die, everybody has a gun here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Does Detroit allow concealed carry? I am not a paranoid gun owner but if I lived there I would get strapped up like Arnold in Commando to go to the mailbox.

• Locked thread