Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
detroit isn't mogadishu 2: black hawk downer like most people seem to believe, and its really just the natural end result of the american attitude to the city; suburbs killing the city and replacing nothing of what urban life brings. hopefully oil depletion and global warming burn that out of us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
the auto industry centered itself in michigan because Detroit was already a highly industrial city and there are still a couple of big chemical and manufacturing plants alongside the small and medium-sized shops that dominate.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

boom boom boom posted:

If they can't shut down services to those old suburbs because there's like three people living in them, why don't they just eminent domain those dude's houses?

because nobody wants to be the guy who forced senior citizens out of their homes. most of the holdouts are retired auto or steelworkers.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

this_is_hard posted:

uh yeah, why? i went to school in Roanoke and it's not even remotely comparable to Detroit

the colony

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Shithouse Dave posted:

Does Michigan have stand your ground laws? Every time I've thought about them I've though what a poo poo idea, but Detroit might be one place I'd agree with them, if the police aren't even going to show up to stuff.

yes

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cream_Filling posted:

It's either this or jewish lightning for me too

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ribsauce posted:

Does Detroit allow concealed carry? I am not a paranoid gun owner but if I lived there I would get strapped up like Arnold in Commando to go to the mailbox.

michigan is an open carry state and there are no city-specific gun laws

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Why are Detroit Coney Dogs a thing? Also, how hood is 7 Mile Rd compared to the actual lovely parts of Detroit?

Michigan invented the Coney Dog, they're just called Coneys cause that's where hot dogs originated. They originated from Greek immigrants in the 1910s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

amway's ceo is one of the major republican leaders in michigan, but he still lost by fourteen points when he ran for governor :laugh:

• Locked thread