Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Let the manic depressives take themselves out, the problem that needs and immediate solution of the final sort are the borderline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

Let the manic depressives take themselves out, the problem that needs and immediate solution of the final sort are the borderline.

That's a really great idea!

Or better yet we could be decent and compassionate human beings who treat people who have problems with respect and understanding. Or is that too controversial?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

That's a really great idea!

Or better yet we could be decent and compassion human beings who treat people who have problems with respect and understanding. Or is that too controversial?

If everyone in the world did what the guy in your avatar is doing this would be a much better world.

cis white male
Jul 5, 2014

i'm a fag i'm a lesbian
The problem with "taking care" of people with Bipolar or BPD is that it is exhausting. They're constantly loving up and requiring emotional and financial help, in and out of institutions, needing a place to stay "one last time", ect.

It's almost like treating an Alzheimer patient except they're also convinced they're special and smarter then everyone else and artistic and gifted with a "true" (read: nihilistic and depressing) understanding of the universe.

Pretty huge burden on society imo

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

cis white male posted:

The problem with "taking care" of people with Bipolar or BPD is that it is exhausting. They're constantly loving up and requiring emotional and financial help, in and out of institutions, needing a place to stay "one last time", ect.

It's almost like treating an Alzheimer patient except they're also convinced they're special and smarter then everyone else and artistic and gifted with a "true" (read: nihilistic and depressing) understanding of the universe.

And yet if i seriously advocated death for people with very minor personality/mental disorders id be considered a massive twat. Its a dilemma!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Nothing mild about the few borderline I've unfortunately been in contact.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

cis white male posted:

I'm bipolar and I don't consider the illness anything other than a massive inconvenience, also it cuts into my productivity and displaces my focus when it adds to my productivity into otherwise unproductive things (ie deciding I am going to become a master at SpaceChem instead of doing my homework).
You hang out with some lovely bipolar people, all the people who have come to my support group consistently are people who seriously dislike having the illness and don't think it makes them anymore unique or intelligent, because saying that it does would be admitting that it's an actual part of your personality and identity instead of being a strange thing that your brain just decides to do for no particular reason. The people that try to glamorize it or consistently make it the focus of everything don't come to the support groups very long, mostly because they realize it isn't a hotbed of melodrama and more a hotbed of "Well, I thought I was going to trigger a manic episode but then I turned on my light and I think I was alright. I'm doing fine with my family and I might get a promotion at work today. How did you do last week Becky?"

cis white male
Jul 5, 2014

i'm a fag i'm a lesbian
real talk, i wish there were some sort of 'track' for invisibly disabled individuals in society were we got to fiddle around with art and have dofferent schedules instead of having to contort ourselves into an approximation of a 'normal' person, causing the astronomicaly disproportionate suicide rate

evolution does a p. good job culing us from the herd but lots of bipolar people are stunning and by nature sexual uninhibited and risky so they manage to procreate a lot. lil devils

cis white male
Jul 5, 2014

i'm a fag i'm a lesbian
again, the lovely bipolar person i hang out with is myself

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

cis white male posted:

again, the lovely bipolar person i hang out with is myself

Go to a support group and realize that, even with a rather debilitating mental illness, you can also being a boring retard that talks about inane poo poo to other people. It was actually pretty liberating.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

And yet if i seriously advocated death for people with very minor personality/mental disorders id be considered a massive twat. Its a dilemma!

too late to be worried about that m8

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

all famous people with bpd are basically artists, gl finding a businessperson or engineer or whatever

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

theflyingexecutive posted:

all famous people with bpd are basically artists, gl finding a businessperson or engineer or whatever

Weedsmoker is a career and most people with BPD are proficient in this lucrative career.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

plain blue jacket posted:

jesus christ do you ever have anything positive to say

Sorry.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
They make online games more fun:

"Teehee, oops looks like I killed you :yayclod: :yayclod: :yayclod:"

(starts losing)

"WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU MOTHER FUCKERS?!?!?! I HATE EVERYONE!!!"

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

too late to be worried about that m8

and yet i don't actually give a monkeys ;)

but yeah lets round up 'genetically inferior' people and put them in death camps or something cos that's always gone down well... oh wait

:godwin:

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

cis white male posted:

This is legit true and insightful, actually. How do you have this kind of introspection

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

there's an e/n thread where this guy takes care of his bipolar wife for almost ten years, keeping her safe and on her meds and away from her toxic mother

then she leaves him lol because bpd is a giant cruel joke

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

there's an e/n thread where this guy takes care of his bipolar wife for almost ten years, keeping her safe and on her meds and away from her toxic mother

then she leaves him lol because bpd is a giant cruel joke

That's one side of the story sure but id be interested in hearing hers. Bpd is not a disorder that requires round the clock care so id be curious if he's the amazingly altruistic hero he I'm sure claimed to be to make himself feel less inadequate about the split as people often do?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

That's one side of the story sure but id be interested in hearing hers. Bpd is not a disorder that requires round the clock care so id be curious if he's the amazingly altruistic hero he I'm sure claimed to be to make himself feel less inadequate about the split as people often do?

I remember that thread, he sounded kind of genuinely retarded and like a doormat.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

we should probably just encourage suicide in the mentally ill.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

JebanyPedal posted:

I remember that thread, he sounded kind of genuinely retarded and like a doormat.

Makes sense. How many times do you talk to someone who's had a bad break up and of course its never their fault and they selflessly did everything for that person and the injustice of it all, meanwhile neglecting to mention that they had been abusive or unfaithful or perhaps a big sweaty goon.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

I think manic/depressive states of mind can produce some of the best creative works, but not in everyone. Traditionally, this seems to have a led a lot of authors and poo poo to suicide anyway.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

depression is contagious

want to come over

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

we should probably just encourage suicide in the mentally ill.

Personally i think you have mental issues if you either honestly believe that people should die just because theyre a bit different or if its just something you say to get approval and/or attention in which case i guess you better just go right ahead then.

Corvus corone
Oct 14, 2012

Wicker Man posted:

They make online games more fun:

"Teehee, oops looks like I killed you :yayclod: :yayclod: :yayclod:"

(starts losing)

"WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU MOTHER FUCKERS?!?!?! I HATE EVERYONE!!!"

tip: this is not what bipolar disorder is. i would know.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I'm going to astronaut school, no I'm becoming a journalist, no I'm starting my own alternative medicine clinic, no I'm adopting a puppy, no gently caress all this Imma just lie in bed all day

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

Personally i think you have mental issues if you either honestly believe that people should die just because theyre a bit different or if its just something you say to get approval and/or attention in which case i guess you better just go right ahead then.

they don't have to die it's just a cool and good life choice

naem
May 29, 2011

YES WEARE WERE TE BEST PEOPLE EVER!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA WEEEEEESEEEEEEEEEEEE

naem
May 29, 2011

i hate myself I hate myself

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

they have to die

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

heh, classic

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
P.s. OP if we're advocating euthanasia simply because you deem them a 'burden on society' where exactly are we drawing the line? The elderly? How about babies they don't do poo poo either.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

tv depictions are great like switching from one emotion to the other (not usually mania or depression) every other sentence like a comic book character

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

we should probably just encourage familicide in the mentally ill.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
What the gently caress is this poo poo? Is anyone here *not* getting their definition of bipolar from Hollywood?

You cannot self diagnose. Do not gently caress around with this.

Bipolar is absolutely loving serious. Right now it's what attention whores in Hollywood claim to have.

There is a very strong genetic link to bipolar.

Too many people with bipolar stop taking their lithium/depakote/epival, have an episode and are hospitalized. I know you loving hate being on meds for the rest of your life, but take the loving things. gently caress.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
OP have you considered going to one of those Fundie re-education camps where they drag you behind pickups while hitting you with sticks, because I hear it's really life-changing

(Seriously though, bipolar runs in my family and I've seen how much it sucks. Hope things stay manageable for you. Keep on the meds.)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

except it's almost guaranteed that a ton of people in Hollywood have it?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
I'm really happy to have generalized anxiety disorder because it's like the easiest mental illness ever and poo poo like bipolar just makes me go 'oh man glad at least I don't have THAT'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cis white male
Jul 5, 2014

i'm a fag i'm a lesbian

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I'm going to astronaut school, no I'm becoming a journalist, no I'm starting my own alternative medicine clinic, no I'm adopting a puppy, no gently caress all this Imma just lie in bed all day

Manic episodes are very very rare and this is exactly what they look like, versus the other depictions in the thread of outbursts and such, but most people know this.

a lot of BP people will have a gigantic gently caress up where they lose a lot of money on traveling or shopping or worse, losing other people's money starting some business venture because they... because I convinced everyone I was a GENIUS and THE NEXT MARK ZUCKERBURG with my natural manic gregariousness and intelligence. It was all a facade of lies and stimulants and it changed every day as I slipped further into psychosis...

This is how you get diagnosed. Your famoly and friends never look at you the same, even if it was fouryears ago.

bipolar, ladies and gentlemen

• Locked thread