Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I've lost every job I've had because of a combination of BPD + Major depression + psychosis

Thanks for paying your social security, everyone, it keeps me alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

Crimson Harvest posted:

I've lost every job I've had because of a combination of BPD + Major depression + psychosis

Thanks for paying your social security, everyone, it keeps me alive.

ditto

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

Wicker Man posted:

They make online games more fun:

"Teehee, oops looks like I killed you :yayclod: :yayclod: :yayclod:"

(starts losing)

"WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU MOTHER FUCKERS?!?!?! I HATE EVERYONE!!!"

lol thats not bipolar, thats being an idiot manchild

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

cis white male posted:

they're just shells walking around, husks, reactive instead of proactive, and are doomed to failure and suicide

it sucks

Mood swing spotted. I've worked with bipolar sufferers for over a decade. I see the frustration as they pass though emotional peaks and valleys, not knowing if what they are feeling is real or not. It's loving brutal to watch.

Please, please, please keep taking your meds. Talk to people you trust to make sure you are on track. The paradox of bipolar is that someone who has bipolar cannot tell if they are having a mood swing or not. It all feels normal to them. Which is exactly why self-diagnosis is absolutely impossible.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 7, 2014

Reset Button
Jan 25, 2011

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

lol @ anyone who is a goon and has convinced themself that they don't have some kind of mental disorder diagnosed or otherwise

'oh look at me i spent real world money because i need to talk to nerds on the internet but im completely healthy and mentally stable, honest'

/thread

also psa: take ur meds. have a good day.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I take one called Trileptal, also bupropion and duloxetine. Kind of um... numbs out the extremes of any kind of moods I get. Basically I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

Until there are external stressors, then I'm hosed.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I was friends with a bipolar person in high school but after some drama and bullshit we all sort of agreed to never talk to her again. She was really good at making it seem like she's interesting until you knew her well, then she was boring as poo poo. Oh and lots of 3am phone calls crying about her dog that died years before, and/or her threatening to kill herself.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

cis white male posted:

Manic episodes are very very rare and this is exactly what they look like, versus the other depictions in the thread of outbursts and such, but most people know this.

a lot of BP people will have a gigantic gently caress up where they lose a lot of money on traveling or shopping or worse, losing other people's money starting some business venture because they... because I convinced everyone I was a GENIUS and THE NEXT MARK ZUCKERBURG with my natural manic gregariousness and intelligence. It was all a facade of lies and stimulants and it changed every day as I slipped further into psychosis...

This is how you get diagnosed. Your famoly and friends never look at you the same, even if it was fouryears ago.

bipolar, ladies and gentlemen

I'm the rare type where manic was a more prevalent state for me than depressive(although most commonly I was just hypomanic or mixed), and hoo boy, you don't want to know how hosed my life was, like when my parents had me reported missing because I drove all the way to Kansas to look at the tall grass without telling anyone or taking things like a change of clothes.
Kinda just driving around and went "OH gently caress DOG KANSAS I WANNA GO."
I can't even count how much poo poo I've sold, or how much random dogshit I bought, I know way too much about gorillas because for awhile I was singularly obsessed with them and tried to buy a ticket to go see them in the wild but fortunately my parents found that out and put a stop to it.
I had gotten a hell of a lot of STDs from unprotected sex and I've slept with people that a dog probably wouldn't have slept with.
My relationships were also horrendous, except one time I dated a chick who was even worse than me and gashed my arm open with a knife and now I have a pretty cool scar on my arm that makes it look like I tried to kill myself without knowing how.

Anyways, what I'm saying is, I lived the extremes, now things are better, not perfect, but better, and all that poo poo isn't something I'm proud of, there's a lot more to it, but that's just the way it was, and I guess people that knew me then won't ever really see me the way I'd like them to, but gently caress it, I shouldn't be concerned with how they perceive me, the most important thing about your mental health is perceiving yourself positively.

cis white male
Jul 5, 2014

i'm a fag i'm a lesbian
edit:drat^ I appreciate your posts, 90% of the people i meet don't go on long, expensive drives just to create a mood. nice to know i haven't been alone on that

Roki B posted:

This is legit true and insightful, actually. How do you have this kind of introspection

It took about a decade of acting out the same story over and over to not be completely oblivioud to the effects I have on the people around me, and even then

tango alpha delta posted:

Mood swing spotted. I've worked with bipolar sufferers for over a decade. I see the frustration as they pass though emotional peaks and valleys, not knowing if what they are feeling is real or not. It's loving brutal to watch.

Please, please, please keep taking your meds. Talk to people you trust to make sure you are on track. The paradox of bipolar is that someone who has bipolar cannot tell if they are having a mood swing or not. It all feels normal to them. Which is exactly why self-diagnosis is absolutely impossible.

Thanks.

i'm on welbutrin and lamictal. it took YEARS of the russian roullette of prescribing mood stabalizers + anti depressants to find a combo that "works". I think the reality that when you get the diagnosis you might now be 'well' for several years is what leads to a lot of suicides among our people

someone mentioned borderline personality disorder: the people i've met that had that diagnosis have been SCARY, versus bipolar who are more sad/drat shame/wasted potential

cis white male fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 7, 2014

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

cis white male posted:

It took about a decade of acting out the same story over and over to not be completely oblivioud to the effects I have on the people around me, and even then

Thanks.

i'm on welbutrin and lamictal. it took YEARS of the russian roullette of prescribing mood stabalizers + anti depressants to find a combo that "works". I think the reality that when you get the diagnosis you might now be 'well' for several years is what leads to a lot of suicides among our people

someone mentioned borderline personality disorder: the people i've met that had that diagnosis have been SCARY, versus bipolar who are more sad/drat shame/wasted potential

Ugh, Wellbutrin was one of the worst experiences of my life, I was so anxious I could barely live and had panic attacks nonstop, not the mention that it robbed my of any appetite and I lost about 20 pounds, I was already light at 140lb, then I turned into a stick.
I'm on Seroquel now, along with Zoloft and Klonopin.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
soundsl ike a genetic problem

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

1gnoirents posted:

soundsl ike a genetic problem

sounds like fail aids, to me

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Crimson Harvest posted:

I take one called Trileptal, also bupropion and duloxetine. Kind of um... numbs out the extremes of any kind of moods I get. Basically I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

Until there are external stressors, then I'm hosed.

Holy gently caress. Trileptal is very expensive. I'm not sure about the others. General FYI, Trileptal is used to treat epileptic seizures, as is Depakote/Epival. Anti convulsants also seem to be effective at treating bipolar, though it's not clear why yet.

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
Bipolar Crew ??? :)

I'd be interested, not for e/n bullshit but for crazy manic high posts or low 'meh' posts. On a high I'm up til 8am normally anyway so it'd be an alternate Nite Crew to some.

Anyway just a suggestion. (Lamictal, Sulpride & Buspirone + lots of weed is my meds)

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax
bipolar crew, slogan: wear your mental illness on your sleeve as a cool excuse for poor behavior

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

cis white male posted:

edit:drat^ I appreciate your posts, 90% of the people i meet don't go on long, expensive drives just to create a mood. nice to know i haven't been alone on that

Thanks.

How do you cope with your mind compiling the things that happen during a typical day and jumping to wildly inaccurate conclusions about people and situations? This seems to be another symptom of bipolar. It's almost like intuition gone wild. I've seen people cry with frustration about how hosed up it is.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

jarvis cocker posted:

bipolar crew, slogan: wear your mental illness on your sleeve as a cool excuse for poor behavior

If you are aware that you have bipolar, then you have no excuse for poor behavior. In fact, the best people I work with are always checking their emotions.

One of the best people I work with is a dude who has been married for almost twenty loving years. That's pretty amazing. He also has a career and a family who aren't scared of him. I've watched how they act around their dad. You can't fake that poo poo.

You seem to have many misconceptions about mental illness. It's not an excuse to behave badly. In fact, often, the person can improve dramatically after a correct diagnosis. The challenge becomes follow up and follow through. The onus is on the person being diagnosed.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 7, 2014

Nekodoshi
Aug 4, 2007

I'm only as smart as the content of my posts.
Ive been dealing with bipolar since I was diagnosed when I was 16 and shot myself because I had an argument over internet usage with my mom.
Im on 6 different meds and things are... okay. When I screw up my anxiety goes way through the roof, to where im vomiting and stuff.
So because I see myself as being utterly worthless and incompetent, I way overdo being generous. Im constantly bedding over backwards because im trying to redeem myself. Im a hot mess, all I want is for someone to not find fault with me.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Nekodoshi posted:

Ive been dealing with bipolar since I was diagnosed when I was 16 and shot myself because I had an argument over internet usage with my mom.
Im on 6 different meds and things are... okay. When I screw up my anxiety goes way through the roof, to where im vomiting and stuff.
So because I see myself as being utterly worthless and incompetent, I way overdo being generous. Im constantly bedding over backwards because im trying to redeem myself. Im a hot mess, all I want is for someone to not find fault with me.

lol shot yourself

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
man this guy used to get angry at like everything and then he told me that yea he thought he was bipolar so i guess all of them are like that
ill believe whatever it takes to go the path of least resistance and not do any actual thinking or research about poo poo :sax:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bipolar more like Biequator.

cis white male
Jul 5, 2014

i'm a fag i'm a lesbian

How do you cope with your mind compiling the things that happen during a typical day and jumping to wildly inaccurate conclusions about people and situations? This seems to be another symptom of bipolar. It's almost like intuition gone wild. I've seen people cry with frustration about how hosed up it is.

Screaming and crying gets the job done, yeah. When it comes to Literary Analysis for a paper it's an amazing gift but when it comes to "Oh that girl in class smiled at me, she must be in love with me and i am in love with her, how could i not be when she is so perfect." It's almost like autism but on the complete other side of the emotional attachment spectrum. This tendency to idolize can lead to creepy, obsessive behavior, which is why you'll see a lot of Bipolar people doing the "nice guy/nice gal friend zone" thing because they have clung to this person and crafted their entire identity around them as a part of the never ending search to find the 'missing piece' they feel in themselves.

bp peeps are also often obsessed with religion and spirituality, so the YOU'RE MY DESTINY poo poo is a constant problem, for me at least. There are women that I haven't seen or contacted in years that my brain will fixate on daily if I allow it t

I haven't dated anyone in a very long time. Don't plan to either until my poo poo is VERY together so that I don't destroy the life of an innocent person. this might be never

cis white male fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 7, 2014

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Nekodoshi posted:

Holy poo poo. I can promise you that things get better. You have be be extremely brave and power through all this poo poo. Understanding will come. I'm not sure what else to tell you. Please hold on.

cis white male
Jul 5, 2014

i'm a fag i'm a lesbian
also people with mental illnesses are posting in this thread that dehumanizes them in its title and will probably continue to do so. that is the coolest thing that has happened to me today

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax

If you are aware that you have bipolar, then you have no excuse for poor behavior. In fact, the best people I work with are always checking their emotions.

One of the best people I work with is a dude who has been married for almost twenty loving years. That's pretty amazing. He also has a career and a family who aren't scared of him. I've watched how they act around their dad. You can't fake that poo poo.

You seem to have many misconceptions about mental illness. It's not an excuse to behave badly. In fact, often, the person can improve dramatically after a correct diagnosis. The challenge becomes follow up and follow through. The onus is on the person being diagnosed.

lol

usb teledildonics
Oct 10, 2009

those who came before me
Mild opiates work really well for about a year and then they don't anymore and you really want to die. You can't feel happy for weeks on end and can't even get exited about the new Morrissey album. You gain like 20 pounds because toaster waffles don't require heating an oven/a failed attempt at rubbing one out to The Bell Jar.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

You disagree? Or you find other people's struggles funny? If so, you probably haven't contributed anything meaningful to society for me to worry about your opinion.

I invite you to develop some compassion. You will be a richer person if you do so.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

cis white male posted:

also people with mental illnesses are posting in this thread that dehumanizes them in its title and will probably continue to do so. that is the coolest thing that has happened to me today

well its pretty easy to believe yourself inferior when people have this weird notion that a state of perfect mental health exists

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

OMFG FURRY posted:

well its pretty easy to believe yourself inferior when people have this weird notion that a state of perfect mental health exists

All it takes is a night out at a college town, seeing all the men walking around, verbally and physically exuding insecurity, to understand how insanely common shakey and uncertain perception of the self is.

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
As bipolar I've found it difficult to keep long lasting relationships ... until last year when I met my Mrs who puts up with my poo poo because ..........

She's bipolar lol

We both freak out on a regular basis, and the one who isn't freaking out has to accept the behaviour, because they'll sure as poo poo be doing something equally silly tomorrow :) :(

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
makes me wonder how peopel dealt with all this for the past 30,000 years . did they just die or something

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
they killed each other mostly

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!
a doctor took a blood sample from my head and told me i have aids of the brain, now i have an excuse to be an addict from the list of government approved drugs i'm told i have to take everyday because other people have convinced me that i have no autonomy

*rides a surfboard on a wave of poo poo into the sunset*

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
strong views in this thread.

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax

You disagree? Or you find other people's struggles funny? If so, you probably haven't contributed anything meaningful to society for me to worry about your opinion.

I invite you to develop some compassion. You will be a richer person if you do so.

i find you funny

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

stuntwaffle posted:

a doctor took a blood sample from my head and told me i have aids of the brain, now i have an excuse to be an addict from the list of government approved drugs i'm told i have to take everyday because other people have convinced me that i have no autonomy

*rides a surfboard on a wave of poo poo into the sunset*

So you would deny a diabetic insulin? Please explain how this works. I'm very curious, since I have a fuckton of experience volunteering with people who have bipolar.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

jarvis cocker posted:

i find you funny

I know, I know. Trying to be serious on an internet comedy site. What was I thinking?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

So you would deny a diabetic insulin? Please explain how this works. I'm very curious, since I have a fuckton of experience volunteering with people who have bipolar.

Shouldn't everyone be on some kind of brain drug since arguably everyone is in some fashion "crazy"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

redshirt posted:

Shouldn't everyone be on some kind of brain drug since arguably everyone is in some fashion "crazy"?

I think we already are, if you want my honest opinion. We all self-medicate in some way.

• Locked thread