Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

cis white male posted:

The problem with "taking care" of people with Bipolar or BPD is that it is exhausting. They're constantly loving up and requiring emotional and financial help, in and out of institutions, needing a place to stay "one last time", ect.

It's almost like treating an Alzheimer patient except they're also convinced they're special and smarter then everyone else and artistic and gifted with a "true" (read: nihilistic and depressing) understanding of the universe.

Pretty huge burden on society imo

This is legit true and insightful, actually. How do you have this kind of introspection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Shirtless Rob posted:

I take both Depakote and anti-psychotics. One of them is making me gain a lot of weight. I don't want to gain any more weight because I want to be skinny and lovely.

It will always be better to be skinny and crazy rather than fat and well adjusted. Always.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

tango alpha delta posted:

I help teach people with bipolar that they need to train themselves to understand which feelings are 'real' and which ones are 'fake'. Until your mood stabilizes, you have no idea what is real and what isn't. That's why someone with bipolar who's never stabilized can't tell when they are getting better. They can't tell when they are getting worse either, because it's all real.

tldr: Bipolar creates a huge emotional distortion field that seems very real, but it isn't. Meds can even this out.

The reason why this all works is because the neurotransmitters in your brain affect mood. Lithium/Depakote/Epival/Trileptal stabilize the chemicals that transmit signals in the brain and the side effect is that your feelings stabilize. It's pretty exciting to watch someone transform into a more stable person.

I've talked to creative types worried about losing their 'edge' because the manic phase settles down. I'm happy to report that the creativity remains.

wrong, creativity dies just like your soul when you take meds party hard bipolards

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Haha look at that tryhard post

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

you were warned posted:

How come? The lithium's the newest of the bunch, and I do feel that it's helping.

I don't know too much about depakote. I'm a CYP2D6 poor metabolizer (discovered via blood test as part of my cancer treatment), but it looks like that particular enzyme isn't involved in its metabolism.

One of my big problems, I think, is that I have no idea how much I should expect of myself. I've always held myself to very high standards, so failure is crushing. My doctor was very supportive when I decided (a bit on a whim, and before I was ready, to be honest) to set in motion moving across the country to go back to my old job last year. That went badly, between a short inpatient stay and repeatedly getting injured on the job, and I ended up moving back across the country to live with my parents yet again. And here I continue to rot in suburbia.

My family seems to always want to cheer me up, to the point of being dishonest. And a little hurtful--like they're dismissive. "Oh, but you're fine! You can do anything! You don't even seem depressed that much!" Yeah, I'm fairly good at hiding it. I've been told by multiple therapists that I "present well." But part of that is also because I stay away from people as much as I can when I'm feeling that bad. Yesterday I spent over an hour lying naked on the floor because I couldn't get myself into the shower, or even move. By the time I managed to go downstairs and interact, I was feeling better and able to laugh and smile and eat dinner with them. I don't know if I even have bipolar. What I deal with doesn't sound like what people describe here. But there's something wrong, but I can't tell exactly what or how bad or what to do.

Kill you are self and then your famil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
No posts for two days you all get depressed again? Or did you cure cancer

• Locked thread