Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Srice posted:

That's a broad enough premise that there are a ton of shows in that vein!

This. It doesn't really feel like Evangelion in particular. Now, if the MC were suddenly called in by his mysterious relative/friend to pilot a super prototype to defeat each knight individually...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

I liked the musical sting that played when they showed off the Martian fortress at the beginning of this episode. The whole scene gave me a "Half-Life 2" vibe.

As far as the fight choreography goes, I wish they'd taken a leaf out of Evangelion's book and had a brief montage of Earth's militaries really unloading on the Martians, to no effect. The actual resistance we saw was pretty anaemic.

Honestly I got heavy 7 hour war feeling off that ep. Just complete overwhelming differences in forces

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
episode 2:
So it's one of those shows where people can die at any moment. I was almost sure the main character's sister was about to kick the bucket. Anyway, why did the main character say to slow down? Did he notice that when the bot was walking through matter it slowed down and used that as an advantage?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

GoldenNugget posted:

episode 2:
So it's one of those shows where people can die at any moment. I was almost sure the main character's sister was about to kick the bucket. Anyway, why did the main character say to slow down? Did he notice that when the bot was walking through matter it slowed down and used that as an advantage?

Yep.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

GoldenNugget posted:

episode 2:

It was also to lighten the load so they could go faster, iirc.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GoldenNugget posted:

episode 2:

Yeah, it took out the wrecked legs that were scraping on the road

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?

The Vers' military advantage is so extreme it robs the fight scenes of all tension.

Once someone realizes they have a high-ranking noble (or maybe even two?) that could change the game a bit if they were willing to get really nasty, which this show probably won't.

But if they can come up with a clever non-eye-rolling way of turning the tables against such a colossal tech advantage, that would make for a fun show.

Disconnecticus fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 14, 2014

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Genocyber posted:

It was also to lighten the load so they could go faster, iirc.

It would have happened anyway as the mech got closer.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk

Darth Walrus posted:

It's a Hiroyuki Sawano OST. That's kind of what he does.

Kill la Kill and SnK, well that explains it

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

boredsatellite posted:

Honestly I got heavy 7 hour war feeling off that ep. Just complete overwhelming differences in forces

I didn't think of it during the episode, but now that you mention it, that's a pretty solid parallel. But I'm guessing Earth still wins somehow.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

I didn't think of it during the episode, but now that you mention it, that's a pretty solid parallel. But I'm guessing Earth still wins somehow.

The Earth is going to fight them off in the end but I kind of wish the show would pull an SPT Layzner.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

The question is, at what cost and if it takes too long

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Kind of interesting so far in episode 2. We have seen most of the mechs for the Orbital knights, but now I wonder if the Empire have mechs for their foot soldiers as well? Seem like only the Orbital Knights are doing everything right now...

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

The parallels between this and BattleTech are not holding up- the power disparity between the Earth and the Vers are crazy.

I really hope that getting tripped is what does in this current baddie or that rather than MC getting Earth's super secret prototype mech he ends up hijacking an Orbital Knight's ride. Maybe that Terran ex-pat guy goes traitor when he learns princess is alive and they do a daring orbital castle raid? It sure looks like the Knights are short staffed...

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

rincewind101 posted:

The parallels between this and BattleTech are not holding up- the power disparity between the Earth and the Vers are crazy.

I really hope that getting tripped is what does in this current baddie or that rather than MC getting Earth's super secret prototype mech he ends up hijacking an Orbital Knight's ride. Maybe that Terran ex-pat guy goes traitor when he learns princess is alive and they do a daring orbital castle raid? It sure looks like the Knights are short staffed...

Yeah, at a glance it looks less like it's going to be "Inner Sphere vs. Clans" and more clever guy MacGyvering ways to stomp invincible super robots.

Unless of course whatever landed on Tanegashima is currently around and in mothballs. That whole incident was probably just a single robot slaughtering whoever was sent to deal with it. I'm wondering if it wasn't actually beaten and that its pilot was just convinced to stop murdering everybody.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The training kataphrakts our heroes are currently heading towards have been front and centre in all the series marketing, so I'd assume they'll be important and relevant weapons rather than getting shunted aside in favour of a looted Martian ubermech. Maybe they'll get imbued with the power of Aldnoah somehow?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Calling your heavy mech units Cataphracts is the best medieval combat allusion since Knightmare Frame.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.
Liking what I see so far. I suspect the turning point in the battle will be when some of the knights find out the princess is alive, they'll switch sides and give the terrans tech and information to fight back. The terrans will probably fight back in scrappy clever ways until then.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The OP suggests that the primary conflict is between the reluctant knight and the emotionless student, with the princess stuck in the middle. There weren't any shots of dull boy in a super robot either. I suppose they could always cut those in later, but putting that much effort into an anime OP is rather uncommon.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

greatBigJerk posted:

Liking what I see so far. I suspect the turning point in the battle will be when some of the knights find out the princess is alive, they'll switch sides and give the terrans tech and information to fight back. The terrans will probably fight back in scrappy clever ways until then.

I'd fully expect them to doubt her being the genuine thing and make her a target instead, so they can all keep having their pissing match with their cool toys.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

I'd fully expect them to doubt her being the genuine thing and make her a target instead, so they can all keep having their pissing match with their cool toys.

The Vers invasion has been startlingly competent, but it seems to be based on the idea that they don't really need anything from the earthlings. They aren't expressly trying to wipe out all indigenous humans as of yet, but they mostly seem interested in the planet itself. So currently, the earthlings can't make any broadcasts to Vers that they have the princess. Likewise, there is no infantry or attempts at establishing communication thus far. Her jumping in front of a robot wouldn't accomplish much because no one is even looking for her. It would be exceedingly difficult for the princess to so much as show herself to someone who would recognize her right now.

I am curious as to how the princess ended up with only her maid, though. Just because she wasn't in the parade doesn't mean she would have been left unguarded.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

At this point none of them have any reason to want to care that she's still alive. Hell, they'd probably kill her themselves for good measure, for being a liability to said pissing match.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

At this point none of them have any reason to want to care that she's still alive. Hell, they'd probably kill her themselves for good measure, for being a liability to said pissing match.

The Cruhteo dude seemed like he would be the kind to care, and there are probably a few others.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

There are probably some nobles that would be offended that they started fighting because of an inside job. However would that be enough for them to stop fighting and disengage? Might as well finish it at that point

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I guess it depends on how much actual authority the princess even has. For that matter, who instituted the cease-fire and why don't they seem to be around now?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

I guess it depends on how much actual authority the princess even has. For that matter, who instituted the cease-fire and why don't they seem to be around now?

The ceasefire felt more like a "Whatever, we'll leave them alone for a few years then come back later and stamp them into the ground" kinda deal, judging by the fact that they engineered this war. Relations couldn't have changed that much in 15 years, especially for two nations separated by millions of miles.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Cataphract seriously is a great name for your giant robots.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I wonder how attached Slaine actually is to his princess. He was throwing some pretty shady looks in the first episode.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
There are apparently some world-building bits-and-pieces on the official site.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

There are apparently some world-building bits-and-pieces on the official site.

Seems like the Vers Empire is actually just Mars immigrants doing their own thing.

1980: Mars immigration planned start
1985: VERS EMPIRE nation building

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Instead of a truly alien culture, they're literally just a bunch of red planet settlers who made up a new culture out of whole cloth.

Considering how people were talking about the lack of a conventional Martian military I wouldn't be surprised if all this alien tech consists of largely one-of-a-kind artifacts that they don't really understand.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I kind of entertained the thought that the Martians somehow experienced an accelerated time by themselves, where the time elapsed in Earth was shorter than with the Martians. Or some sort of secret no one is supposed to know about that would radically change our perspective of the story.

Like, say the artifacts created a portal somewhere, their civilization sprouted up from that and they've been gone for thousands of years from their perspective. This could make sense why Earth nations seemed to overestimate their fighting chances (Though even massive space ships (even if not interstellar) should've woken them up, I suppose?) This wouldn't make sense but: Bonus points for old comrades that were fighting on the Moon being sucked to a portal as well, and them/their offspring becoming part of the Vers empire. Cue a scene with the princess having a memento from an old war buddy of an earthling.

I have a really strong feeling we're going to see some sort of twist like this. The protagonist's deadpan behaviour might mean something, as well.

edit: I haven't really made my mind on either. The issue I have is cultural disconnect between the Martians and Earthlings, 29 years shouldn't be enough time to be okay with genociding your old home for without a drat good reason
|
v

Dessel fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 15, 2014

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I thought that as a thread we decided that the immigrants going to Mars in the 80s were the ones who stumbled upon the Vers Empire, not the ones who founded it, did we change our minds again?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Rexides posted:

I thought that as a thread we decided that the immigrants going to Mars in the 80s were the ones who stumbled upon the Vers Empire, not the ones who founded it, did we change our minds again?

We just got additional information that says the Empire itself was formed in 1985. Quite explicit information.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Given how they refer to a planet Vers, it's safe to assume they're not from Earth (recently).

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It was an interesting theory but it people are saying it's been debunked.

Unless revealed otherwise, it looks like the Vers Empire really is just a couple generations old. Which makes them come off as kind of kooky.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Genocyber posted:

Given how they refer to a planet Vers, it's safe to assume they're not from Earth (recently).

Vers is probably the old name of Mars. They really wanted to cut ties with Earth, so they adopted the name from what they could translate from the artefacts.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

It was an interesting theory but it people are saying it's been debunked.

Unless revealed otherwise, it looks like the Vers Empire really is just a couple generations old. Which makes them come off as kind of kooky.

Sieg ZeonVers!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

can anyone read this

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Yeah it's becoming more confused. Frankly I hope it's just a mistranlastion or miswording or something because the setting as a whole doesn't really hold together if it's just a bunch of dudes from thirty years ago.

How did they monopolize the relics on the moon without the rest of Earth also benefitting? How was Earth so surprised by their level of technology? Why does Vers have so many gigantic orbital castles if it's just some dudes on Mars coming back for Earth? Why do they hate Earth so much if it's only been 30 years?

I still haven't seen anything that outright and explicitly states the Vers empire is only a generation and a half old, but more evidence is mounting and it makes for a really weird and inconsistent setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013

muike posted:

can anyone read this
Here's the translation (taken from here):

1969: Apollo 11 moon landing is successful.

1972: Apollo 17 finds remains of an ancient Mars civilization on the moon's surface. In the remains an instantaneous teleportation device, using previously unknown technology is uncovered, giving humanity the ability to travel between Mars & back.
This device came to be called a "hypergate".

1975: Under international guidance, plans to colonize Mars were drawn up, and the Mars Treaty was made. The treaty was ratified by all the U.N member countries, and they agreed to not use military forces on Mars, and such. Following this, the Cold War was for all intents and purposes finished. This same year, the First Mars Survey Corps was deployed.
Prof. Leylegaria (unsure of the right romanization) followed with them as the official overseer.

1980: Immigration starts and 340,000 settlers are sent to Mars.

Starting in 1982, Rayregalia starts inciting anti-Earth sentiments among the Martian settlers, calling for an armed uprising. The UN immediately moves to suppress the situation, but the situation escalates. They later arrest Rayregalia, but a mob attacks and breaks him out of jail.

1985: Vers Empire formed, with Rayregalia named as the first emperor. In fear of the empire, the countries of Earth form the Earth Federation and enter a cold war with Mars. Things are relatively peaceful for the next decade.

1996: Martian terrorists bomb several cities, killing 3,267 people, causing hostilities between Earth and the Vers Empire to increase rapidly.

1997: Rayregalia steps down as emperor due to illness, and his son Gilzeria takes the throne.

1999: Gilzeria declares war on the Earth Federation. The Vers Empire fights using mechs called Cataphracts. During a battle on the moon the Hypergate goes out of control and destroys half the moon. Pieces form the Satellite Belt around Earth, and some crash into the Earth in an event called the Heaven's Fall. Earth is still rebuilding from that. During the battle Gilzeria is killed in action, causing Rayregalia to retake the throne and is still emperor as of the series' start. Gilzaria's daughter Princess Asseylum is born.

2000: A ceasefire is signed by both signs, and a demilitarized neutral zone is formed.

2003: Earth finished developing its own Cataphracts and first uses them to quell the rioting caused by Heaven's Fall. The riots are stopped in 2007 and things return to relative peace. Steps are made between Earth and Mars for peace.

2007: Post-war clean-up on Earth finishes. Conditions continue to stabilize.

2010: 10 years after the war. In every Earth country memorial ceremonies & top-level meetings are held, as both sides begin to march toward peace.

2014: In the name of peace, Earth takes a growing interest in the Vers Empire. The peace negotiations are expected to continue.

Also regarding setting: http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=5176528&postcount=391

DiabloCthulhu fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 15, 2014

• Locked thread