Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

psyer posted:

The original character designer is Takako Shimura. The mangaka of Aoi Hana and Wandering Son.

:aaa: what?! Well now I've got to watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Yes I totally figured it out just by glancing at the shots. Oh man, I have to watch this now. Urobuchi and Shimura? :getin:

I'm not sure I would have noticed without prompting, but you can definitely see her hand in the faces occasionally. It's not super visually interesting overall, I was hoping for more since the director did adapt Wandering Son and that show's use of the watercolor aesthetic was really great looking, and Fate/zero isn't any slouch in that department either.

Interesting first episode, enough to get me to watch the second anyway. Not much of an Urobuchi fan really, even though I love Madoka Magicka, but who knows this might have some potential for me.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

A whole crapton of Shimura's drawings for the character designs. :neckbeard:

:neckbeard:

I'm not thinking too hard about where the Vers empire is from, or what the timeline exactly is or anything yet, there's only been 22 minutes of show so far.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well that was a hell of a thing, the show is definitely looking promising so far.

I think it's cool how the Vers mecha's ability to make stuff Go Away is used as both an effective weapon and as protection. Part of me wonders if there's a giant pile of stuff back on Mars/Vers.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

She's just so drat happy to be shootin' grenades.

Cake Attack posted:

Heads up, there's a scene after the credits and you should probably watch it.

I almost missed it! Slaine sure didn't though. :stonklol:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Rodyle posted:

This was decently funny and the new Versbot was pretty radical, albeit really stupid and from a totally different series. The Captain being Marito's friend's sister is even more ridiculous than multi armed Mazinger though. I hope that Aldnoah mech on Slaine's plane doesn't go to Inaho.

Reminds me of skeptical Chitanda from Hyouka
:what:

:goleft:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

At the moment I'm thinking Inaho keeps his trainer, someone else gets a Martian mecha. Bets are Slaine but it'd be cool if it was the Princess, Inko or one of the other girls since this isn't a Gundam show and they actually seem capable of doing stuff.

That wouldn't surprise me at all, especially since he's just picked up the nickname "Orange" he should get to keep that as his name for a while at least. I doubt it would be the princess, but I could definitely see Inko getting a much fancier mech. She can drive a Martian Kataphrackt and Nina can help drive the Ship.

Meanwhile:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 17, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

OneDeadman posted:

Can the ending reveal be that the ancient mars empire was initially made by some goofy space birds?

We can only hope.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I was pretty sure Cruhteo was still alive but after seeing that screenshot I'm much less inclined to believe so. Yeah it's just a couple frames or whatever, but he looks kind of disintegrated there. But i do agree, dead or not, that Slaine is pretty likely to end up in his mecha.

Some gifs and fanart:

:kamina:

Someone give her some shades.

Inaho and Slaine, in happier times.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kanos posted:

It really wasn't, I think they just wanted to fit in another "But she's really a badass, guys!" moment at the expense of her judo-tossing the nerd guy for no reason at all.

That's what I thought too, they're just driving that point home; it also demonstrates it to the bridge crew who might not have been aware of that little fact. And maybe to show that she has physical training, not just skill with firearms.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Redcrimson posted:

Aldnoah Zero is a deconstruction of Shower Scenes!

I can only imagine she's actually dead this time. Doing another dead princess fake-out just seems like a really silly thing to do at this point.

Naw, it's just hearkening back to the glory days of Psycho! It does seem like 2 death fake-outs would be a poor way to go, but then again so does killing her off in that way at this point in the story, so I don't know what the gently caress honestly. I'm not complaining, I'm totally hooked and want to see what happens next. :f5:

Sakurazuka posted:

Also I'm assuming that illustration is cannon until told differently.

Takako Shimura (the character designer) definitely believes it to be the case. I have no idea what, if any, input she has on the characters or if she even knows more of the characters and plot than we do though.
:nws: link to a sketch on her tumblr

She's got a bunch of sketches for the various people up on there, not sure if any of them are spoilers and the text is all in Japanese. Worth a look if you like her art however!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Serious Frolicking posted:

I can't think of a single split cour that maintained a consistent level of quality throughout.

Fate/zero maybe? I can't think of too many others I've even seen.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

boredsatellite posted:

I'm still surprised at his candor. His honesty was very refreshing

Yep, it went in a completely different direction than I could ever predicted.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Talkc posted:

Why do i think Orlane A: Didnt die and B: is Inaho's mother?

I spend way too much time thinking about this show :psyduck:

Don't know, but since the aldnoah drive was powered down until Seylum got to it doesn't that imply she did die? Man, hooray for CPR and defibrillators; it's weird how it's weird that normal, 20th century life-saving techniques show up so rarely in science fiction.

I liked episode 10 a great deal, and yet again even if somethings happened that I thought might, it still plays out in a different fashion than I would ever have thought up.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The_White_Crane posted:

Shame defibrillators are completely useless on someone whose heart has stopped beating, huh?
Guess Inaho didn't pay that much attention after all. :colbert:

Sure, sure but, damnit it usually is super scifi whatsit doodads or fancy rays or something, not just...normal physical stuff. Much worse for me than the medicine was Count Revengeface shooting Slaynes handcuffs off from an angle that should have plugged him in the crotch. :stare:

Also, commies...commies everywhere. :ussr:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

I had figured that the hammer and sickle was there because HQ was like, a repurposed old USSR nuclear shelter, instead of soviet russia still lives

It looked pretty old and worn out I believe

That's almost definitely the case. Still, as a child of the cold war suddenly seeing a bunch of regalia from the old Soviet Union came as a small shock.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Pyronic posted:

translation? just the stuff she said in the episode?

I wish I knew! But, the text on her page says something like "Eddelrittuo you're working hard"

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Might as well go for the whole Hamlet and kill literally everyone.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I don't care about spoilers so I've skimmed this page without watching it yet...

If I never get around to it, that means none of it happened right? :ohdear::ohdear:

Can't wait until i have some time to watch today

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

paragon1 posted:

This episode was really good until it became really stupid right at the end. Slaine is the worst.

Edit: I am not a fan of killing off characters for what amounts to little more than shock value, to say the least. Inaho dying at this point adds nothing to the series, and only serves to make Slaine a stupid(er) murderous rear end in a top hat.

That's my thing too, it can't just be nihilistic for me to get any satisfaction from the storytelling. Also, it helps if i know that the author(s) have a clear vision for where the story is supposed to end up. It's too early to say for sure if those will actually be a problem, but drat that was a hosed up episode.

At the end of this episode I'm basically just baffled, I'm still curious to see where it can go from here, but my inherent cynicism has me feeling a bit pessimistic for the next season. Maybe that'll change once I let it simmer in my brain for a while.

edit:
dawww :3::kimchi:

:smithicide:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

In other words:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Here's a poster for the second season.

Spoilers I guess, so if you want to go in blind, don't click.
http://i.imgur.com/VBaE8CW.jpg

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nina what are you doing

stop that

The closer the 2nd half gets, the less confident I am that it will be worth watching. Still, I'll put up with it for a while even if it does tank because I like Shimura's designs and it's fun to see them animated.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Have a merry aldnoah xmas

and this too

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

While I'm not entirely convinced, i'm convinced enough to stick with this for the duration. Everything that happened made me go "hm, ok yeah I can see that" as opposed to "oh come on!"
Stupidly, the biggest thing I'm bummed about (and this actually started last season) is Inko having obvious feelings for Inaho. Nana x Inko 4 lyfe :rip: I'm mostly kidding about that, but I was taken in by Shimura's drawings.

Speaking of; she's been counting down til the new season starts and here's the launch:

Not really spoilers, but I'll err on the side of caution.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hmm, I wonder if (when) the Princess wakes up she'll be annoyed about Mars using her name to do all these things she's probably quite opposed to.

Anyway, keep ramping it up Aldnoah, you're my favorite very silly show. Also, Inko is gonna end up with Nina after all if Inaho keeps going for maximum:spergin: with her.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kanos posted:

This episode was entertaining. . Moment of the episode was "So you've class changed...", though. :allears:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I half expected that Slaine would put Aseylum back into a coma himself. "Don't worry princess, just for a while longer until you can be truly safe" There's still time if he does decide to do just that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

dotJPG posted:

hahaha holy poo poo the ED :downs:

Well, maybe not that one in particular, but i'm glad that Takako got to bust out her watercolors for the rest.

• Locked thread