Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

quote:

And so, the discovery of an artifact belonging to an ancient Martian civilization, the Hyper Gate on the Moon by Apollo 17, paced the way for the human colonization and development of Mars. However, this resulted in the appearance of the Vers Empire, which claimed ownership of the martian relics and Aldnoah, their ancient technology, and proved to be the source of a long-standing conflict.

So it is sounding like the Vers are an interplanetary empire with with their capital at Planet Vers. Bah, I was hoping this conflict would be a tad more fair, Earth is totally outmatched. Their giant robots are worthless.

Though you'd expect a super advanced empire would have a better system of government than loving feudalism.

Also the princess is totally alive. The Chekov's necklace remains unfired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Autonomous Monster posted:

I thought it was pretty weak, to be honest.

The Vers' military advantage is so extreme it robs the fight scenes of all tension. There's not even any horror here- the show's characters aren't realised enough for that. It doesn't help that their emotional responses are all so muted- they don't react to the invasion as if- well, as if they're engaged in a total war against an enemy that levelled every major city on Earth only hours ago and are now scrambling to evacuate. They act like it's some minor brush war out of sight and mind and like having to flee their hometown is some minor inconvenience.

The tension is not in whether or not the earth military can stand up to the Vers, but how long we can hold up and get away without getting mangled. The long rambling drunken speech in episode 1 was basically telling us that we're completely and utterly outmatched.

The lack of emotional response was just in the boys, who thought it was one big camping trip and the fact that they were in danger hadn't quite gotten through into their thick loving skulls. That was the point of the "are we going to get drafted?" speech, which dripped with dramatic irony. Boy, you're not going to graduate. You're getting put on the front lines immediately. Meanwhile, everyone else was terrified.

On a tactical level, the Vers are invulnerable. Their one downside is that they are hideously undermanned. Their castles are almost empty, don't use semi-autonomous drones, and they send out high ranking officers into combat without a retinue of peasants. So on a strategic level, they can be quite vulnerable. If you can suicide bomb enough castles, or saturation nuke them, you can delay their attack. Or even make an alliance with some of the Vers knights, then you can play divide on conquer on them. This could happen with Cruhteo: they have the princess, and they have the daughter of one of the ringleaders of the assassination attempt.

This is, of course, assuming that the princess even survives. Urobuchi killing her off is not out of the question. Sealing off any plans of a pre-emptive peace deal is necessary to keep the drama going.

So either bowlcut kills the princess and Slaine turns on the Vers, or the princess survives and Cruhteo turns on the Vers, or the princess survives and the other knights don't give a drat even when they've lost their casus belli: the social structure of Vers seems barely controllable. This kind of internecine warfare is what happens when you pick a Feudal government.

On that note, they barely seem to understand their own technology. Somehow I think they salvaged or stole it from civilizations that actually knew their hands from their asses. If they picked a Dictatorship for another 4 points, they might be twice as advanced.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
See, that's where Slaine and Inaho differ. Slaine just fragged Bowlcut. Inaho would have broken every one of Bowlcut's limbs and dragged his screaming body over to Cruhteo for interrogation.

But as is, the game's already stepped up. Slaine did precisely the thing that the audience craved, and it was so drat satisfying. No long episodes of dramatic irony, just getting to the meat of the politics and getting into the Versian infighting immediately.

I was actually scared as hell for a moment when the Princess stepped out, I thought Bowlcut was going to slam his fist onto her as soon as she transformed. Inaho didn't know the strategic value of her, and Inaho isn't as strong a reader of men to have figured out her importance to the cause.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
But if it is a black blob, then you the weakspots that don't absorb light would show up and people would simply aim for that bit. I think the barrier also projects an "image" of the robot underneath.

Looking at episode 2 again, where you see the barrier over the robot activating, you see the blackness expanding over the robot (the barrier), and then the details of the robot projected outwards from its shoulderpads (the illusion).

http://a.pomf.se/nhramg.webm

In other words, they've put quite a bit of thought into it.

Also, I've had a dangerous thought. Asseylum's behaviour is, odd, to say the least. For a start, any VIP is going to have minders, and not all those minders will be in the same location as the VIP herself. Someone has to know that the body double died, and that the real princess is safe.

What if the princess that is on screen episode 3 is not the real princess, and is an infiltrator of some sort? She's not wearing Slain's necklace in the above shot (but of course, she's already wearing a necklace, a second would be tacky). She might have it in a pocket elsewhere, but until she takes it out, the Chekov's necklace remains unfired.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Basically all my posts seem to indicate that I really want the princess to be dead.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Ah, I was totally wrong about Slaine. He doesn't know where Cruhteo stands. Nor does he know how to get in contact with Asseylum.

I expect him to use this opportunity to get in contact with the Inaho's group.

Also, this show really demonstrates why, in videogames, I like having more dudes than someone else. Not only does quantity have a quality of its own, it also allows you to exploit weaknesses and opportunities. I've always wanted a show where the protagonists are a swarm of weaker units pack hunting down stronger foes.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I should watch the LP, because I don't have a Wii U.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You know, in the past, I'd been advocating an interpretation where the princess was actually dead and it was the double who had been trying to seek peace.

I don't advocate for that anymore, we're getting internal monologues by Seylum herself. And I don't think this show is going to narrate so unreliably that such things are actually invalid.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The Mars bots are OP but also boring, I really like how the Earth bots move. It's a nice mix of weight and grace. And I really like how when they use their jump jets they need to deploy lift surfaces.

Even the Sky Carrier needed lift surfaces.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Aw yeah this is the kind of politicking I wanted to see.

Edit: 3 things I really want to post about.

1) Did Asseylem seriously not see a single bird in all her time spent on the planet? Birds are incredibly survivable.
2) Did Slaine mention his name at all last episode? Does Inaho know the guy he shot down was the same guy Asseylum has been rattling on about?
3) The irony of Slaine's torture vs Asseylum having happy fun times on planet is really something the Butcher loves to revel in.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 24, 2014

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Standing up in the middle of the room and calling for your already dead servants to bring you your armour is a stupid loving thing to do.

But Cruhteo is still pretty drat stupid and mentally inflexible, even if he eventually put 2 plus 2 together and realised that Asseylum is alive.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Ahahaha, body double, to the rescue :unsmigghh:. I say, liiiieee.

And since such a measure can not be sustainable the moment the princess makes contact with the emperor, I suspect Inaho would go for plan B: reveal the princess as a distraction, use it to buy time for an assassination attempt on the emperor, and leave Earth devastated and Mars an unlivable wasteland.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Talkc posted:

Why do i think Orlane A: Didnt die and B: is Inaho's mother?

I spend way too much time thinking about this show :psyduck:

My suspicion as well. The robot is completely intact.

Also, you don't build a ship without even testing it during construction, so the aldnoah must have been active during some part of its construction. So it sounds like they got most of the way through before Orlane karked it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Also that was a pretty overtly communist episode. An aristocratic elite controlling the means of production by dividing the proletariat against an outside enemy? Plus lots of old communist imagery? Why not!

We might get a hopeful ending this way, where the Terran and Martian economies can be safely intertwined!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Texhnolyze ending coming right up.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Inaho and Hime confirmed alive.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Banagher from Gundam Unicorn was a dude with a good deal of conflicted loyalties, but they were going for a ~grand tour of the solar system~ story there.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It matters that the villain said something you'd expect a hero to say, but it's so cryptic that it's hard to tell how he intends to do so.

One thing that annoyed the hell of me with Slaine is that he has a bad habit of teleporting all over the place. Like there's no real continuity about how he gets from A to B to C and so on.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Give Saazbaam some credit, peoples. He's like the only guy who used combined arms assaults and gave mass produced suits for his grunts.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Or heck, even their regular biotech is awful. They're running around with zero point energy generators, and they can't even work out how to grow anything other than algae on a planet.

The martian's only real advantage is in materials science and power generation. It's probably a function of their feudal society, otherwise clever people get frozen out of the civilian bureaucracies, and you need to roll a natural 20 just to get a capable leader in a high position. Most knights seem like good fighters on their own ground, but Saazbaum seems to be the only one who is good at dealing with people.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
inaho eat the eggs

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yo if you want proper orbital mechanics and a story with a ton of heart and soul then watch Planetes instead.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm going to miss Saazbaum, he was the only Orbital Knight worth a drat.

I expect Slaine and Harklight to invest further into Martian line kats. They got slaughtered by Terran line kats, even after Saazbaum broke from tradition and ordered some sets for his troopers.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Slaine killed bowlcut earlier. And a bunch of random EDF mooks, but that's not really homicide.

He really likes to kill people on the sly.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
My only hope is that Slaine inherits those complex motivations as well.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Cruhteo's long dead you guys.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Not attacking someone's vulnerable supply lines simply means you're a giant chump.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Inaho's going to come clean next episode and he's never getting thrown in the brig because Inaho is a total mary sue and mary sues can do whatever the gently caress they want without consequences from the only authorities that matter.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Raenir Salazar posted:

I mean... We already have the premise that the normal authority structure and procedure is barely able to handle the crisis; additionally its been shown that Inaho's plans more or less always work; and finally there isn't really a central Earth authority or High Command that can say diddly squat about it, either its the base commander or Calm who is at the moment the highest ranking officer and in either case if forced to explain himself his plan isn't unreasonable as the long term means of ending the war, and well, Calm's been shown to trust in his judgement.

I get that people want interesting three dimensional characters with character arcs and flaws and poo poo, but a lot of the time it bugs me that people use Mary Sue to pretty much refer to any character they think is 'too' awesome.

I guess the question to ask is, does Inaho act as a sort of 'black hole' that unnaturally bends the plot towards him away from any more established character? For a supposed Mary Sue the side characters arguably have way more character development and participate with a stronger presence in the plot than you'd think would be possible if he was one.

The fact that Inaho has a rather well-rounded skillset is fun to watch, but you have to concede that Inaho is indeed a total Mary Sue who distorts the EDF side. Remember, it's not just about pure power, but the social side. Everyone who matters in the EDF loves and respects Inaho, and there is no cool internal conflict. His decisions carry absolute weight, and the EDF's victory can only be carried out through him. Yes, he wins using the aid of other characters, but they could never do anything without him. Also, none of the EDF cast have any emotional gravitas. That roboeye is also setting Inaho up to be a martyr figure at the end.

There are plenty of similar stories with powerful characters, but they don't always form a Mary Sue. Lelouch fucks up repeatedly and bet everything on an insanely audacious plan, Eruelf as detested and mistrusted, and Hei is a smouldering emotional wreck who never gets what he wants.

So while Slaine flawed and constantly loving up, at least there is a personal struggle within him. That's why I enjoy watching him more than Inaho.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Aaand the winner of the most humiliating way to kill someone goes top... Slaine Troyardo!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Jesus christ this loving show.

Just how was Inaho supposed to know that the EDF were going to assassinate the real princess? All he knew was that the one up on TV was an impostor, and for all he knew the real princess was in a safe location.

And how did the captain sign off on this? No, Mr Power Source, you are not allowed to single-handedly infiltrate the enemy base.

This show is dumb.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
They really just needed more time. I think in general, super ambitious political-robot shows tend to have overreach after a strong first season that sets up too much for the writers to handle. Everything got wrapped up with a neat little bow, and you can see how they got there, but it feels like we needed more time and development for the writer's ambitions. We had some excellent shots of Slaine's modest office, and him mixing with the grunts just like Saazbaum. But we needed more time to portray Slaine's rise and fall and getting Zero Requiem'd.

There's room for more seasons because as much as they try to show everything's now peachy, the seeds of conflict still exist. But I think the story and setting is tapped out, no one wants to revisit this further with Earthfed invading Mars as retribution.

Maybe the next ambitious political-robot show can do better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
That Urobuchi movie that just came out was the cheeriest thing ever. No suffering, all sentient lifeforms can co-exist (whether it be baseline humans, uploaded humans, or non-human AIs).

Aldnoah Zero technically wasn't Urobuchi, but Slaine's ending was pure Urobuchi-utilitarianism as gently caress. Slaine wallows in misery, and Inaho doesn't get Asseylum, and this is satisfactory because this is a cruel uncaring universe that is so much bigger than those 3 kids. Peace requires compromises and lies.

• Locked thread