Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Weird how even though the martians have seeming in-fighting between the landing ships and go to battle by getting some high-ranked goon who wants a name for himself, they actually act in a more logical manner than "any alien" in any sci-fi I remember. (Disrupting enemy infrastructure, etc.) I like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I kind of entertained the thought that the Martians somehow experienced an accelerated time by themselves, where the time elapsed in Earth was shorter than with the Martians. Or some sort of secret no one is supposed to know about that would radically change our perspective of the story.

Like, say the artifacts created a portal somewhere, their civilization sprouted up from that and they've been gone for thousands of years from their perspective. This could make sense why Earth nations seemed to overestimate their fighting chances (Though even massive space ships (even if not interstellar) should've woken them up, I suppose?) This wouldn't make sense but: Bonus points for old comrades that were fighting on the Moon being sucked to a portal as well, and them/their offspring becoming part of the Vers empire. Cue a scene with the princess having a memento from an old war buddy of an earthling.

I have a really strong feeling we're going to see some sort of twist like this. The protagonist's deadpan behaviour might mean something, as well.

edit: I haven't really made my mind on either. The issue I have is cultural disconnect between the Martians and Earthlings, 29 years shouldn't be enough time to be okay with genociding your old home for without a drat good reason
|
v

Dessel fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 15, 2014

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Yeah holy poo poo that timeline :psyduck:

Discounting ridiculous Deus Ex :catdrugs: plot twists that poo poo is incredibly ridiculous.

Screw that, even that isn't enough to justify effing 300 000 colonists getting lifted up to the Moon to enter Mars through the gate in this kind of timeframe:
72: Mars ruins discovered
75: International treaty
80: 340 000 colonists lifted up to Moon to enter Mars.

Just lifting them up would be a feat I can't imagine humankind achieving even united as one. Not to mention the facilities needed on the Moon and Mars.
gently caress's sake, using this as a source (Sorry for non-Imperial measurements here),
assuming worldwide average weight (which is low by Western standards) of 62 kg, you'd spend 340,000*62*25,000$ to send people in space just by weight alone by current standards That's 5,27*10^11$. Gross world product is 7,1*10^13 for comparison.

Ah screw it, it's just an anime.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 16, 2014

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Yeah, the setting may be all kinds of wonky but this episode was genuinely good. Great pace. Also loved that Slaine just offed the bastard instead of going into some sort of repressed emo mode.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Rodyle posted:

I absolutely hate the design of her actual Princess form because she looks like an escapee from the Britannian Royal Family in a setting that's not nearly as bananas looking as Geass, but her disguised look's nice and her rattling off about guns like the chick from those who hunt elves was pretty cool. Add to that the oddly endearing robo-MC and the fact the show has yet to reuse an insert song, and maybe this show's okay after all.

She is okay for me but in her Princess form her eyes are seriously off-putting. They're way too high (in size). In her "commoner" form the eyes are as tall, but don't look so ridiculous.

Requesting a photoshop of Princess form with more squinted/normal-looking eyes.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

All signs point out that Inaho is Yang Wenli! Both got stuck in a military role thanks to their education, both are outwardly cool under pressure, both have a family member in the military, both are fighting an aristocratic empire and both have a knack for military tactics! :colbert:

...Hero's journey and matching themes and all that jazz.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 3, 2014

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

It's even dumber because we've been given the image that the captain is a professional to almost a cold-hearted degree, but then she suddenly decided to further debilitate one of her assets because of a personal grudge and belief that the guy somehow "killed" her brother because of an officially non-existent report he made where he warned of people of the Vers' destructive powers and potentially "blamed himself" on the death of her brother - which she hasn't apparently seen judging by the dialogue.

Or just because he came out alive and her brother didn't.

What the gently caress, show? :psyduck:

Yeah, I might not have been paying enough attention to stuff going in-between the lines, and yeah I know the guilt trope, but I kind of imagined that character - and this show to a degree - to be above it because it's so tired
|
v

Dessel fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 11, 2014

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Perhaps it's because I'm an incurable space ship fan, (The thing I love most in Gundam are BIG SPACE SHIPS) but I was all :fap: like crazy when the battleship launched from the island with rocks falling with the Princess on the bridge shining like some crazy shining beacon.

Inaho continues to be cold as hell. Wonder if he might turn out to be a villain in the end or end up wanting the power of Aldnoah for himself?

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Well, that was surprising. I didn't the princess losing her life exactly because the Aldnoah drive on the ship. I was "Wait, shouldn't the drive deactivate now..." and it sure did. Fair enough, it could be another fake-out.

Perhaps her demeanor will change from the ridiculously aloof if she's still alive? Her demeanor has been a bit too spirited considering the circumstances. Evil princess? Nah, dumb speculation.

Alternatively there's someone else of the royal lineage in the story we don't realize and will activate the ship in the next one or two episodes. Inaho, Slaine?

The count was great. Perhaps there'll be a flip of who's evil and who's good, since the show seems to be throwing curveballs at us? Inaho's demeanor (even if her sister claims she sees through him) keeps bothering me.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

If you want ~realistic mecha battles~ without incredibly dumb characters in this season just watch Argevollen. Except, it only starts getting good around episode 4. Ignore the first few because they *do* have some lovely protagonist is protagonist scenes. They really hosed up what's good about the series by writing the first few episodes as they did.

Aldnoah Zero is the opposite to me, it's a train wreck that tries to create awesome moments without much grounding at all. Both fill their niche. Argevollen is arguably more boring, but as it gets going it's not as aggressively dumb.

Then again we've missed "Inaho improvises an awesome plan" for an episode or two now.

Please tell me Deucalion isn't gone. I like space battleships. :( Inaho keeps showing his coldness, getting a little unnerving. Looks like Rayet is going to have his moment on the ground in the next episode. Foot soldiers surprised me as well, didn't expect to see any from Vers.

Or that. 08th MS Team definitely hits the spot for realism. But I don't really know anything else after that which trumps Argevollen for realism, except Patlabor stuff which really is more comedic police work (original series) and political intrigue (the films).
v

Dessel fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Am I the only one who got some serious C&C/Frank Klepacki vibes from the music during the preparation/beginning of the battle?

• Locked thread