Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Yikes. gently caress the Martians indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

This show does make me think of gundam wing a lot, mainly in how it's only fun when the villians are around.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

So did people stop caring about this show after episode 3? It has its issues, but it's still one of the better shows of the season.

Now that they're all together, the ensemble cast is proving surprisingly entertaining when the show isn't trying so hard to be serious, and Ei Aoki has gotten a shitload better at action and choreography since Fate/Zero, I'll give him that. I'm having a hard time connecting with it on a deeper level so far, but it's pretty drat compelling when poo poo hits the fan.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

King Rayquaza Vase Raybans ordered full-scale war on Earth, right, so where's the earth-shattering kaboom? Sticking to the viewpoint of this little ragtag group(where they're all mostly going through the motions, anyway) is a bit disappointing when it feels like we should be heading into global HOLY poo poo territory.

Taking stock, we've gone from invulnerability, to beam katanas to rocket fists? All of which still devastatingly capable of mass murder? This is gonna turn into the Blood-C of mecha anime, isn't it?

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Rangpur posted:

Though I guess it is still possible Aldnoah's last episode-and-a-half will likewise make me happy to see 95% of the cast gruesomely vivisected.

I'm already there, frankly, though I mean more along the lines of the "conga line of increasingly silly and sorta outwardly unthreatening(the Kataphracks all look like giant bug digimon or something) enemy robots with absurd powers that nonetheless proceed to gently caress poo poo up royal with terrifying speed" formula the show is adopting.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Come to think of it, I find it bizarre they never thought to apprehend Trilham's mech and at least attempt to reverse-engineer the technology on-board. Considering what they're dealing with, that seems like the very first thing to try.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Snow Halation posted:

The first priority was getting civilians out of there, ASAP. They probably figures they could always come back for the mech, since it wasn't going anywhere.

Before it got blown to hell, anyway. Was still for the best they got out of there, as it turned out, but it's still very odd how it hasn't even occurred to anyone to consider it.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

^^^^^^

Pootybutt posted:

I'm already there, frankly, though I mean more along the lines of the "conga line of increasingly silly and sorta outwardly unthreatening(the Kataphracks all look like giant bug digimon or something) enemy robots with absurd powers that nonetheless proceed to gently caress poo poo up royal with terrifying speed" formula the show is adopting.

But yeah Blood-C was p drat bad.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

This is probably the first anime I've ever seen where the 3DCG looks way better than everything else. I guess maybe Majestic Prince too, what with the Hirai designs.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Soooooo why did nobody bother to ask what happened to this mysterious "Bat" what appeared from nowhere to save their collective asses?

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Great job traumatizing all staff on board, trusted personnel. You really thought it was a great idea to start anybody's training with INVINCIBLE ULTRA MECH? That thing killed tons of people, it'd be horrifying for anyone.

I loved the jab about how games look better than stuff the govt/military would have, though.

This show just loves piling on the irony. The characters are..well, we're learning a little about them now, at least, but I keep waiting for a breather moment where we can stop, pull back and examine what the hell is happening to the rest of the Earth in the midst of this supposed wartime. Not to mention it's a tad hard to sympathize with Sex Balm when we've seen so little of what Vers is actually like(though it certainly didn't look pleasant)

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Yup, sure is, uhhh, Sawano-y. Like Kajiura, he starting to bore me these days.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

This show keeps vacillating wildly between being mildly clever/surprising, amusingly trashy and mind-bogglingly dumb/boring. This ep was mostly the latter. Last week's cliffhanger is instantly overturned, nothing at all really changes, characters continue to be wasted and still no more silly robot action scenes, aka best thing about this show.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Bremen posted:

I like the contrast with how Count Saazbaum fights. All the other knights we've seen have been like "I'll take my super weapon out on my own and fight like a brave hero because I'm awesome die like an idiot", and here he is using multiple mecha as well as combined arms with infantry and air support, then turning off the jamming so he can listen in to their broadcasts.

Was legit kinda shocked to see that they even used infantry.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Really don't buy that Inaho is supposedly the only kat pilot in the Earth forces, the only pilot ON EARTH, who thought to hang back and remember how physics work. Among a whole bunch of silly poo poo about AZ, that's the silliest.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Preechr posted:

It's simple. All the other generic mook pilots think they're in a giant mecha anime, and believe that burning spirit/courage/rule of cool will overcome physics. This is why they all die. Inaho thinks he's in the real world, but one with giant robots, and uses physics to achieve results.

Ehhh, 40℅ that, 60℅ plot armor.

VVVVV All of em? On Earth...?

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 14, 2014

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

They don't have any real experience, and neither do the people who trained them. That all of the mustangs are still alive isn't a testament to their skill, but rather that the earth HQ hadn't been attacked before now. The young pilots are better because they are less trained; the earth mecha training regimen seems to be actively detrimental to survival. Stand in big groups, shoot. Hooray, you won! No tactics, no contingency plans, just stand and shoot. I suppose that even kind of makes sense if you assume that literally every combat veteran is dead, and they developed mechs and their accompanying training program in the last 15 years.

I guess this would all be way less dumb if they'd make even the tiniest effort to portray any of the other officers as even remotely competent or somewhat able to think on their feet, and they sorta approach that with the big, insert song "YAY WE"RE ALL DOING OUR PART' scenes when the ship gets attacked, but nobody ever learns or develops on the battlefield or takes the initiative. This is why I kept hoping the series would regain some of its earlier scope on show more of the planetwide war this anime is supposedly about and lol nope everyone's dead cause they weren't Inaho. lol It's just Inaho being world's best soldier by a country mile some more and after eleven eps, that's pretty boring. Not a huge deal, cause all I really give a poo poo about anymore are the action scenes, but it's still particularly hard to swallow and my least favorite part of a premise I really wanted to enjoy.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 14, 2014

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Aldnoah S1 kind of sucked.

I also kind of liked it. A lot, actually

So yeah, bring on s2.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

pffffbt surprise, new princess out of nowhere , also Slaine having a manservant hahaha. Man, this writing. It's like coming home.

Edit: LOL *walks right into the ice, goes "oh no, our anti-ice things aren't working!!"*

Double edit: Yup, every dumb thing that was speculated to happen to keep everybody alive happened. Calling this show clever is really really funny, but lord it's still mad entertaining.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 10, 2015

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Pretty boring episode. They spend the whole thing attempting to patch up this cheap new princess character's backstory and justify her presence and it just aint' working. Also that was a lot of buildup for a rather lame space battle scene.

I'm getting Inaho's appeal less and less. His takedowns of those crazy supermechs in s1 were only thrilling and interesting via how his plans incorporated the whole group and had everyone working together(still would've liked to see some tactical input from SOMEONE besides him, but least they were making the effort.) Now he's literally just steamrolling everything through robotmagic, which is mad boring and weakening the action scenes even more is super not in this show's best interest. Oy.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I was getting pumped that other characters were finally getting to do poo poo(even if it was just standing there, shooting at a tornado) but I screamed at the monitor when Nao saved the day AGAIN. Jesus christ. I mean, Nao. Boy, this show sure loves ruining itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Overlord K posted:

While it's surprising Slaine is actually keeping his momentum, it's hard to root for someone who killed a ton of people just to show off and make everybody know he's for real. At least he's turning into the proper villain I wanted him to turn into.[/spoiler]

Slaughtering a couple of shuttles just moving munitions. Big man.

• Locked thread