Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Man, the ending of the first episode, they certainly like their black humor don't they?

That was too depressing to be humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Why is there a chunk taken out of Bangladesh? That doesn't seem like a particularly useful place to bombard, given most of Europe is still fine.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

Unless the material cleared was vaporized and removed, it had to go somewhere. Combined with the energy imparted in collisions, the sea level should be up if anything.

The material would have been blasted onto the surrounding land, so it's still out of the water. That said, one crater of that size probably wouldn't do much globally but a couple dozen probably would.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

boredsatellite posted:

Honestly I got heavy 7 hour war feeling off that ep. Just complete overwhelming differences in forces

I didn't think of it during the episode, but now that you mention it, that's a pretty solid parallel. But I'm guessing Earth still wins somehow.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

I'd fully expect them to doubt her being the genuine thing and make her a target instead, so they can all keep having their pissing match with their cool toys.

At this point none of them have any reason to want to care that she's still alive. Hell, they'd probably kill her themselves for good measure, for being a liability to said pissing match.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

I guess it depends on how much actual authority the princess even has. For that matter, who instituted the cease-fire and why don't they seem to be around now?

The ceasefire felt more like a "Whatever, we'll leave them alone for a few years then come back later and stamp them into the ground" kinda deal, judging by the fact that they engineered this war. Relations couldn't have changed that much in 15 years, especially for two nations separated by millions of miles.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Given how they refer to a planet Vers, it's safe to assume they're not from Earth (recently).

From what I understand, there is another planet Vers that found Mars before humans moved there so the humans there are now part of the Vers empire. I think. Its bot all that clear at the moment.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Furious Lobster posted:

From the official timeline it's pretty clear that there is no other planet and the empire was founded by the ridiculously charismatic Prof. Ray Regalia (love the last name) on Mars; it's most likely his unbelievable rise to power has something to do with Aldnoah or some other anime hand wave magic.

Oh, whoops, didn't see that timeline translation.

I still think there had to be some kind of outside interference, maybe the mars tech itself, but there's no other way things could escalate and diverge this quickly.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

This actually makes a lot of sense, but it still seems weird. Like that guy at the beginning slapping around a dirty terran for daring to take an interest in his daughter was probably born on Earth himself.

I guess everyone just wants to feel superior.

Princess Asseylum is not his daughter. I think he was smacking Slaine around on racist principles, and nothing more. He seems rather nationalist, so it makes sense.

e:

DiabloCthulhu posted:

Setting is definitely not one of the strong points of this show. Some kind of brainwashing shenanigans were certainly involved (and maybe still are), but it's still silly. Though I don't really care about setting here and how silly it is.

The setting isn't bad, but it hasn't been explained enough. All we know for sure is that the Vers empire is technologically superior because they found some tech on Mars, and they now hate Earth's guts and want to wipe out the planet. A David and Goliath war between planets essentially.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 16, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Wasn't there a Gundam that was basically Counter Strike with giant robots? I remember a friend telling me something about it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So did people stop caring about this show after episode 3? It has its issues, but it's still one of the better shows of the season.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
As far as Cruhteo goes, he definitely doesn't think much about Asseylum, but he also doesn't seem aggressively antagonistic towards her. But then again, the guy he let on his ship seems to be the one that set up her assassination.

In due time, I suppose.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

darkgray posted:

Uh. Slight spoilers suggested in the latest AZ s2 poster.

That's not really spoilers. The quote at the very end made it pretty clear she wasn't dead, which most likely means she is still relevant and important

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So, uh, a thing showed up on Crunchyroll: http://www.crunchyroll.com/aldnoah-zero/episode-0-count-to-az-665633

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Yep, pretty sure Inaho's just really bad at expressing emotion. His actions, more than bodily expression, relate what he feels and thinks.

I have no idea how they plan to write him back in.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Ok, that was a surprisingly solid opener. I was convinced the story would be hosed since apparently not a single person died from that finale, but that was some brilliant writing, the way he kept them all alive. That said, you do have to stretch your sci-fi imagination to wrap your head around it, but I'm willing to believe it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Mikl posted:

Inaho's still a super sperg, Slaine's still super creepily obsessed by Seylum. Also Slaine's still a fuckup, lol at him failing at killing Inaho via a headshot from three feet away.

I'm pretty sure Slaine's slowly breaking down mentally, taking into account how his obsession with Seylum and how he approached Sazzbaum after shooting him.

I'm calling it right now, the finale will be Inaho killing Slain and saving Seylum.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Bernardo Orel posted:

Oh god, it just dawned one me - we are going to get a million "My vision is augmented" / "I never asked for this" jokes, right?

Either way, You just opened those floodgates.

Now he just needs some retractable sword arms. And then give his robot retractable sword arms and let him control the robot arm sword with his own arms sword so he can stab martian suckers with a full range of motion (bounded by a cramped cockpit).

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Eej posted:

Aseylum was taught by Slaine that the sky on earth is blue because of light diffraction and Inaho realizes that the one on TV is not her because he corrected her in season 1 and told her it was due to Rayleigh scattering.

I had a feeling something was up with that scene, but that is brilliant.

And now we get to despair as Inaho sits on that goldmine for a dozen episodes because ~drama~ (I hope not).

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Cmon, guys give the mooks some credit. They used de-icers against the ice robot, like any sensible person. How are they supposed to know that their de-icers wouldn't work? They didn't exactly have the luxury of being able to test that out beforehand.

Also Inaho is a badass that makes everyone look bad, it's not their fault.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think that method is a one-time-use offer, and also the princesses are royalty and no one wants to gently caress with royalty. Except Sazbaaum. But he's playing a different game.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Slaine might be a fuckup, but if this episode proves anything, it's that he isn't a total fuckup.

I hope he holds off on his stupidity long enough for me to like him again.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

The entire situation would have been preventable without any prediction technology if Slaine had taken thirty seconds to consider the ramifications of rescuing someone who baldly stated "I am going to kill the princess" to his face, especially while said person is in the act of attempting to kill said princess.

But if Slaine had been that competent, how would they have made a second season? :colbert:

e: He also shot the guy trying to save said princess. :v:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Talkc posted:

deus ex machina

That's... that's not what a deux ex machina is...

If you mean that everything he pulls off is contrived as gently caress to be totally and implausibly ridiculous, then I know what you mean.

Stevefin posted:

I think Inahos cyborg eye and Slaines robot just do the same thing, just differently, the cyborg eye gives raw data for Inaho to crunch, Where Tharsis crunches the numbers and shows it off in a more pleasant way.

And on last episode, call my crazy, But I think slaine made the intention of Tharsis to get hit, by simply moving enough to get one of his guns destroyed, He needed Inaho to stop in shock to keep him in his track, The shot mostly worked, Till Inko and Saazbaum showed up on the field

Pretty much.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
drat, I was so ready for Slaine to get verbally wrecked by Seylum.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Finally! It begins!

Mo_Steel posted:

Aldnoah Zero: The best laid plans of Slaine Troyard suck

Credit where credit's due, his plan was pretty good and well executed.

Unfortunately, he cannot hope to be as intelligently badass as Inaho.

Mo_Steel posted:

I like Count Mazuurek a lot, of the Martian leaders he seems like the only one with any sense of compassion for others while still being pretty quick witted when it's needed.

I wonder how Inaho convinced him that the princess was a fake. Or maybe he didn't and gave him enough doubt that he would confirm it on his own. Either way, it feels a bit contrived since we know very little of Mazuurek.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That was actually a legitimately good episode. I'm not sure how much they can do with only 3 or 4 episodes left, but I'm looking forward to it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I get the sense I'm the only person who was surprised when not-Lemrina stood up from her wheelchair.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

I'm pretty sure a kiss gives temporary rights and blood makes the deal permanent. That's how Slaine got locked out when Lemrina decided to shut down his ride.

I'll second this. Pretty sure that's how it works.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Alder posted:

TL:(big red part only)

An unexpected dark horse appears in the (love) triangle around Asseylum?!

source: http://roirence.tumblr.com/post/113274745589/good7luck-from-here-can-someone-translate-it

FWIW: Seylum is at least more proactive in this S2. As for Slaine-haters, yeah, he's twisted but still more personality than Inaho w/robo eye nowadays.

Whatever the image is, it got taken down. Do you think you could find it elsewhere?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
And now it shows up just fine... :shrug: I even went to the source link and it was broken there to when I posted earlier.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
drat, another great episode. They've been holding out on us.

Dan7el posted:

Count Blondie-Heir will obviously commit himself to obeying the Princess and do whatever she wants -- which will likely be re-joining the Earth-Human forces.

Maybe. He definitely has something against Slaine related to the Tharsis/his father, but it's too early to say exactly what his grievance is and how that would change his view of Asseylum.

I wonder if Lemrina is dead now, or if she miraculously survives somehow.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The_White_Crane posted:

I thought it would explode, honestly.

...also that was a really bloody dumb twist. There was no foreshadowing at all that the goddamn thing was sentient for gently caress's sake!

They foreshadowed it in this episode, but not anytime before. They should have though, it would have made this twist even better.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Now you have me wondering if that was the original intent. Also it is too hilarious and may have broke me.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

Yeah sure why not make the whole "part of each other" thing litteral. That seems dumb enough to be a plot point.

That's really going to happen, isn't it? I can't un-think that now.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
There were a few really good moments in that episode that were unfortunately overshadowed by

.Clash posted:

"The final battle is finally here."

What? Uh okay I guess.

Asseylum throwing down the gauntlet was a cool moment though. Though maybe a little overwrought. Maybe.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

Short of total subjugation of Earth or absolutely everyone dying there can't be a meaningful conclusion. Earth leadership has not at all been demonstrated to be interested in lasting peace, any cessation of hostilities is only temporary until there is good opportunity to slaughter all those martian assholes.

I was predicting that Asseylum, Cruheto, and the other guy join up with Team Eyenaho, she brands everyone on Team Slaine a traitor, a bunch of people switch sides, Slaine gets his poo poo wrecked, she pardons him because she still likes him, Slaine and Inaho somehow make up, Team Asseylum takes over Earth and Vers. Also, someone dies. Probably Slaine.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think that final episode was as good a wrap up as possible given the nonsense they had to work with. At the very least it was entertaining and had some great bg music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Eej posted:

you got weird ideas on why people deserve suffering dude

Dude massacred a few dozen thousand (tentative estimate) earthlings so he could become the "earth-friendly" ruler and tried to marry his love by announcing his marriage to a girl disguised as her.

He's a pretty suffering-worthy dude.

• Locked thread