Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Desuwa posted:

It's the latter; from what I gather the Vers Empire left the solar system thousands of years ago using the alien technology they found to go do empire things in other star systems. They had outposts/colonies/something (relics) on Mars and when the remaining Earth humans started getting uppity they just reclaimed it and moved back in to use Mars as a staging area for dealing with Earth.

The anime explicitly mentioned Martian relics, so it has to be something old and abandoned, and the Vers empire coming back (the princess had never seen Earth with her own eyes, and mentions her home planet being Vers) to claim them. The Vers empire isn't a "Martian" empire; I think everyone's being confused by the mention of an ancient "Martian" civilization, which is either the Vers empire's previous holdings on Mars or the alien civilization that left behind their technology.

An alternate reading is that the Vers empire never really colonized Mars (and just emigrated from Earth straight to Vers and other systems) in the past and everything on Mars was from the even earlier, potentially alien, civilization and the Vers empire is just claiming it to keep Earth from learning its secrets.

edit: Also I have no idea how the Earthfall operation spans generations either. Maybe he's talking about finishing the job their ancient ancestors started?

My theory is that the Vers empire was one of a number of ancient Earth nations or civilizations and it just blasted its competitors back to the stone age before leaving Earth. This also gives it a reason for why it left Earth to make another planet its capital.

This makes way more sense. I was wondering why a bunch of guys that left earth 40 years ago were spouting all this master race bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'm getting shades of Evangelion with the whole "bad guys are so powerful there's not really any point to fighting them without special plot weapons." thing.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Genocyber posted:

It was also to lighten the load so they could go faster, iirc.

It would have happened anyway as the mech got closer.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
So any space rear end in a top hat older than 35 was born on earth and there's no one more than 2 generations removed? And they're talking like they've become their own species with special racial slurs and everything.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Eej posted:

Well to give it a little perspective, we've had quite a few dictators in the past century or so who managed to either convince or strong arm their countries into doing atrocious things in about the same time by manipulating already existing grievances. Reminder that this backstory mostly occurs during the Cold War. The idea that any moment someone in charge might get mad and wipe humanity off the face of the earth was a thing that really weighed upon people's minds at the time.

Given a group of humanity's elites (they already know they're better than the average), the existing climate of countries poised to glass each other at the drop of a hat, the discovery of insanely advanced technology and a very charismatic leader I can totally see a sort of fascist movement to clean the Earth of inferior humans with the superior technology they feel they were destined to have. A kind of "we are the best of humanity and we have a chance to wipe the slate clean and make a better society" kinda deal except they gotta fumigate the place first with disintegration fields.

This actually makes a lot of sense, but it still seems weird. Like that guy at the beginning slapping around a dirty terran for daring to take an interest in his daughter was probably born on Earth himself.

I guess everyone just wants to feel superior.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Has there ever been a giant robot anime where battles were won with tactics and clever tricks instead of just getting a better robot? Code Guess had it for a bit in the beginning but then it really went the other way.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
That actually went a lot better than I was expecting. It's kind of weird that the bad guy drives the robot like a top down video game from in the robot. At that point you may as well drive remotely. Or leave some room for cameras since you need to receive signals anyway.

I'm almost surprised we didn't get a scene where someone is submerging a bicycle tire in water to find a leak, so that they could flashback to it later.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
So what was sword guy's deal? He gets on the Terran guys case for wanting to fight. Then the next scene is him trying to reclaim his lost honor by attacking a boat full of civilians during a ceasefire.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'm not quite sure I get the main bad guy's motivation here. He just made a big speech about how the whole Vars thing is stupid bullshit and that a feudal system based on conquest sucks. He's pissed about the heaven's fall and the first war. But it seems like he's just deliberately perpetuating the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
So did Slaine just no believe the count when the whole plan was simply and directly laid out for him or what?

• Locked thread