Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My1TP7-_QXc

Beginner's Bible is a series of Christian cartoons that present Bible stories in a kid-friendly fashion. This particular episode struck me because of how it tries to soften up one of the uglier passages of the Bible: the sacking and slaughter of Jericho by the Israelites.

This is Joshua, the successor of Moses. He has a little brown goat companion who provides slapstick humor to pad out the episode.

This is the king of Jericho. Joshua politely tries to explain that God has promised Jericho to them, but the king is a dick and won't let some foreign invaders in.

Joshua sends two spies into Jericho to assess its strength. The king of Jericho instantly recognizes them because these master spies are wearing their Israelite uniforms.

Luckily the spies are given shelter by a woman named Rahab. The cartoon conveniently doesn't mention that she is a prostitute. Rahab has heard stories of how awesome the Jewish God is, and has agreed to sell her people out in exchange for being spared. "I showed kindness to you. When your people attack the city, please, spare my family and me." It's a line that pretty much foreshadows a slaughter, which funnily enough never happens.

The Israelites eventually lay siege to Jericho. On the final day of the seige, Joshua decides to break out into a song. Every episode of this cartoon series contains at least one song number. It sounds like your typical uplifting Christian rock song that makes no mention of the terrified people within the walls.

God then brings down the walls of Jericho, allowing the Israelites to take it with little effort. Now, the Bible notes this as a very bloody affair. "They devoted the city to the LORD and destroyed with the sword every living thing in it - men and women, young and old, cattle, sheep and donkeys." (Joshua 6:2) In the cartoon, however, all they do is make the Jericho army stand in a circle. There is no scene of slaughter, no scenes where Joshua's little brown goat is gnawing on the corpses of slain Jericho women.

Joshua is then presented the traitorous whore Rahab and lets her stay with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
nobody cares about your loving gay anime bullshit you loving oval office human being nerd

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Oberleutnant posted:

nobody cares about your loving gay anime bullshit you loving oval office human being nerd

carl, you're drunk, go home.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Oberleutnant posted:

Yes you do let me force it down your throat and make u love it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Oberleutnant posted:

carl its gonna be ok

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
How does it deal with Lot and Sodom & Gomorrah?

Lot's daughters get him drunk and gently caress him to continue the family line

gently caress you're famil

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Oberleutnant posted:

gotta agree with this guy. How come so many athiest fags are running around watching children's cartoons? Makes you think..

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
well I guess not much has changed in 3000 years

cis white male
Jul 5, 2014

i'm a fag i'm a lesbian
Veggie Tales also did an ep on this. irc there's no violence (duh) but there is that visual gag where the entire city is rubble but there is a second floor toilet still hovering in the air connected to a string of plumbing

really funny, and taught me a lot about the infinite power of GOD, op

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Why does everyone look so happy in this stuff? I thought everyone would be totally miserable back then.
I always imagined Jesus was a man who never smiled and it made me sad.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Kaantaja my friends.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

welcome to

bible

is

jericho

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
genocide loving owms

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

The year is 14 Y2J

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
where is chris

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

That DICK! posted:

The year is 14 Y2J
Hey, that was my postcode when I was in college!

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

cis white male posted:

Veggie Tales also did an ep on this. irc there's no violence (duh) but there is that visual gag where the entire city is rubble but there is a second floor toilet still hovering in the air connected to a string of plumbing

really funny, and taught me a lot about the infinite power of GOD, op
Oh God, I just watched the Veggie Tales take on it and it's even worse. Jericho is not a city but just some fort two rear end in a top hat peas built to block the road to the Promised Land. The Veggie Israelites for some reason just don't think to go around the fort.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Agreed, this show didn't get a chance to stretch its legs before CBS kileld it off.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Life is brutal and cheap OP. hth

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

new teen titans best teen titans

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Oberleutnant posted:

jesus carl :eyepop:

Hayburner
Jan 29, 2005

hi
religion? :rolleyes:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I think i had the childrens bible this is from as a kid

Throwdini
Aug 2, 2006
"religion of peace"

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Sounds like it's time for another Crusade.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
jews have a long history of being genocidal savages. makes you think.

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?
I wish it was easy to make an absolutely literal ublinkingly traumatizing cartoon of old testament stories For Kidz.

cis white male
Jul 5, 2014

i'm a fag i'm a lesbian

Disconnecticus posted:

I wish it was easy to make an absolutely literal ublinkingly traumatizing cartoon of old testament stories For Kidz.

aronofsky's 'Noah' is exactly this

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
remember that tv program 'Jericho' with screech ulrich from saved by the bell

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

i watched these as a kid

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Tear down those walls Mr Josuha!

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Low Desert Punk posted:

remember that tv program 'Jericho' with screech ulrich from saved by the bell

yes

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

JebanyPedal posted:

Why does everyone look so happy in this stuff? I thought everyone would be totally miserable back then.
I always imagined Jesus was a man who never smiled and it made me sad.

They're smiling because if they don't smile god will torture, kill, and possibly rape them, their friends and family

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

cis white male posted:

aronofsky's 'Noah' is exactly this
There was this idiot named Ken Ham who condemned the film for depicting Noah as a psychopath because he contemplated killing his grandkids. This, in a movie where God massacres 99% of humanity, children included.

https://answersingenesis.org/noahs-ark/review-noah-movie-unbiblical/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
way crazier poo poo then that actually happened man some guy somewhere had a really cool swordfight

• Locked thread