Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Plot: On a cold winter, Calvin Palmer, Jr. (Ice Cube) decides he has had enough of trying to keep open the barbershop his father handed down to him. He cannot borrow, revenues are falling, and he seems more interested in get-rich-quick schemes to bring in easy money. Without telling his employees, or the customers, he sells the barbershop to a greedy loan shark, Lester Wallace (Keith David), who lies about its future by announcing plans to turn it into a strip club.

After spending a day at work, and realizing just how vital the barbershop is to the surrounding community, Calvin rethinks his decision and tries to get the shop back - only to find out Wallace wants double the $20,000 he paid Calvin to return it, and before 7 P.M. that day. Right after he admits to the employees that he sold the barber shop, and that it would be closing at the end of the day, the police arrive to arrest one of the barbers, named Ricky (Michael Ealy). He is accused of driving his pickup truck into a nearby market to steal an ATM, but it is revealed that the ATM thief, JD (Anthony Anderson), a cousin of Ricky's, was actually the one who committed the crime after borrowing Ricky's truck. Because this is, potentially, Ricky's 'third strike', he could be sentenced to life in prison. Calvin uses the $20,000, from Lester, to bail Ricky out of jail yet Ricky is angry as he believes Calvin betrayed him.

Calvin reveals that he found a gun in Ricky's locker in the barbershop and shows it to him. They stop the car and Ricky throws the gun into the river, proving that he does not want to get into any more trouble. Then they both go to see Lester. Lester, as well as JD and Billy (Lahmard Tate)(who were still trying to pry the ATM open and took it to Lester's place without his knowledge) are confronted by Calvin and Ricky. They demand Lester give the barbershop back. Lester is angered and orders his bodyguard Monk to pull out his gun. The police arrive just in time to save Calvin and Ricky but JD and Billy are arrested. Calvin and Ricky see the ATM, and get a $50,000 reward for returning it to police. They get the money, and the barbershop reopens with even better business than before. In the meantime, Calvin's wife, Jennifer (Jazsmin Lewis), has given birth to a baby boy.

{b]My thoughts[/b] I love this film. It is a sensitive portrayal of the challenges faced by aspirational African-Americans who don't want to give in to negativity. I find it sad that Ice Cube is now criticized for being old instead of being praised for maturing and getting over the whole "black angry gangsta" gimmick he used to gain fame in the first place. At the same time, it's not preachy. The dialogue is real and authentically urban.

Friday/ is kind of crap, probably because I don't relate well to potheads and some of the physical comedy is just silly and the film doesn't really try to make a statement or be anything except near the end with Nipsy Russell's lame "use your fists not your guns" speech. I think Barbershop is more real and I wish it was more popular than that stupid Chris Tucker minstrel histrionics fest.

But that's just me. Hopefully some of you guys and girls are also fond of this movie.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

disagree

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What kind of idiot leads with "Friday's not that funny?" gently caress you, OP.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
OP, Friday loving owns, what the gently caress are you talking about?

Barbershop wishes it could be as good as Friday.

also when you thought Ice Cube was doing the whole black angry whatever he was recording classics like It was a Good Day and starring in Boyz in the Hood and Anaconda.

I miss 90s Ice Cube.

CPFortest fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 8, 2014

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Welcome Home, Roscoe Jenkins

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

Welcome Home, Roscoe Jenkins

Welcome.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Barbershop

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Friday is awesome, and that has nothing to do with weed culture, but being a well balanced, lighthearted romp that also has a lot of familiar characters and situations for people that grew up in the inner city.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Weed Couture.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
I need to gather some thoughts here

Earthy Ape Unit fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 10, 2014

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
What.... what is going on here?

Whatever, have a Barbershop thread, I don't care. Just fix that table-breaking image.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
You know what? I fixed it myself. Enjoy your Berbershop thread, folks.

Weirdos.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Vargo posted:

You know what? I fixed it myself. Enjoy your Berbershop thread, folks.

Weirdos.

*Barbershop

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I recall watching it at one point, and even skimming over that summary does not ring any bells. On the other had, I haven't seen Friday since the mid-90s and still remember most of it fairly vividly.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Friday is infinitely more funny than Barbershop. However, Barbershop is a solid film that doesn't do anything amazing, but it isn't terrible either.

But if you want to criticize something, then criticize Soul Food. Boondocks was right to mock it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, again, about the only good thing I can think about Soul Food was "at least those actors got some work from that and the TV series."

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Anyone wanna watch First Sunday

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Darko posted:

Friday is awesome, and that has nothing to do with weed culture, but being a well balanced, lighthearted romp that also has a lot of familiar characters and situations for people that grew up in the inner city.

Every time I watch Friday I can't help but think that it would be a pretty easy thing to adapt it into a two-act play, possibly for the reasons you listed but also because Craig's front porch and the neighbors' houses would make a great stage set.

e: I like how the Barbershop thread turned into talking about Friday

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's because the OP is like 20 years old and grew up watching Barbershop instead of Friday.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Please don't discuss other films in the Barbershop thread. I will be forced to use my mod powers if you do so continuously.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Where does Beauty Shop fit in the Barberverse?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

The_Rob posted:

Where does Beauty Shop fit in the Barberverse?

Fully canon sequel

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
*enters thread* "Who drank my apple juice?!" (Terri from the movie Barbershop (2002)

I was planning on writing a thread much like this one last week but I forgot about it and today I come in here and lo and behold, finally a freaking Barbershop thread. To some of you this movie might seem like a trifle, a little urban comedy most of you can't relate with, but for me this film was an essential part of my youth and the most valuable education I could've had when still a child. I still remember those Sundays, coming back from church in my little banged up suit, so hot I could barely walk, but we'd arrive home and my momma would get me a glass of the coldest lemonade she could find and a plate of them chicken wings I loved and while the grownups talked she'd distract me by popping in our only DVD, and baby you better believe it was Barbershop. I'll come back later to paste the OP I was planning to use for my thread, but for now have some words of wisdom from my man Eddie: "Hell, that's the problem with your whole generation. You know, y'all... you don't believe in nothin'. But your father, he believed in something, Calvin. He believed and understood that something as simple as a little haircut could change the way a man felt on the inside."

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

tbp posted:

Fully canon sequel

Is it respected by the Barber Shop fandom community?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Dont mess with the Zohan took place in a barbershop thoughts?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Hat Thoughts posted:

Anyone wanna watch First Sunday

Hell yeah, love me some Pacino

e. for content https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuhEFAo8ecg

Breath Ray fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 9, 2014

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

ElectricSheep posted:

Every time I watch Friday I can't help but think that it would be a pretty easy thing to adapt it into a two-act play, possibly for the reasons you listed but also because Craig's front porch and the neighbors' houses would make a great stage set.

e: I like how the Barbershop thread turned into talking about Friday

Stage play Friday almost sounds like Raisin in the Sun. Would watch.

Barbershop is Ice Cube trying on Tyler Perry's shoes.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Who do you think should star in a european remake of Barbershop?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bushisms.txt posted:

Stage play Friday almost sounds like Raisin in the Sun. Would watch.

Barbershop is Ice Cube trying on Tyler Perry's shoes.

Exactly. I don't appreciate the condescending chucklefuckery the OP is trying to pull.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's because the OP is like 20 years old and grew up watching Barbershop instead of Friday.

I wish. I'm over forty with 2 kids now. Maybe you'll understand my perspective on Friday when you're older and are trying to raise children in a scary world.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Exactly. I don't appreciate the condescending chucklefuckery the OP is trying to pull.

Chucklefuckery?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Classic line :

Lester: [greeting each other] Eddie.
Eddie: Nigga.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

The_Rob posted:

Is it respected by the Barber Shop fandom community?

It is understood to be less of a film than Barbershop and Barbershop 2: Back in Business, however it has its charm.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJhs9wqT7qE

This scene cracks me up every time.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

That's a great scene. Eddie really gets me

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I agree with the thread, Friday is a good film.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Brony Car posted:

I wish. I'm over forty with 2 kids now. Maybe you'll understand my perspective on Friday when you're older and are trying to raise children in a scary world.

Oh gently caress off, you condescending rear end. I don't even particularly care about Friday, but this "you'll agree with me when you grow up" bullshit is the height of :smug:.

EDIT: None of this has anything to do with Barbershop. Or maybe it does?

Vargo fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 9, 2014

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Please only talk about Friday when comparing it to Barbershop in this thread. That is all I am asking not to be mean *glances meaningfully at the soccer ball next to my name*

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

As well, I've never seen Friday, and hell, I don't plan to - wanna know why? because I've seen Barbershop.

More quotes, this time from Barbershop 2: Back in Business:

Eddie: [taking food orders from people in the shop] Okay... so that's three orders of "hell naw", two orders of "ask ya mama", and one order of "negro please".

Haha, Eddie pwns at life.

Zombie Tsunami
Jun 22, 2006

Paul Mooney: [reviewing "Barbershop"] You know that's just a front. They sell drugs at the barbershops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Can I get some empty quotes for everyones favorite couple up in here

• Locked thread