Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Like why's it got to be a game each time I want exactly $20 worth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

what kind of foreign currency would I need to use to buy exactly 80085 monies worth of gas to fill up my sedan?

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

if you go inside and tell them you want $20 on pump 2 it will stop automatically at $20

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
when you use a gift card for $10 or whatever then the pump will automatically slow down and cut off right at the appropriate number, so clearly the technology exists!

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
shove the pump UP YOUR rear end

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
*that slapping sound when you jump up and down naked*

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Just punch 20 on the keypad and press enter before putting your card in

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012
anyone ever drive away with the pump still in the car?

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

LifeSizePotato posted:

if you go inside and tell them you want $20 on pump 2 it will stop automatically at $20

Works best if you're not even at pump 2

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
why don't you just fill the tank? are you poor?

no poors in this thread plz

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

still lolling at this. dunno why it struck me as so funny.

Mr.Rabbit
May 17, 2013

Hesh Ballantine posted:

anyone ever drive away with the pump still in the car?

i did and now i never have to stop to fill up again

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Sintax posted:

Just punch 20 on the keypad and press enter before putting your card in

is this real

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I always feel sad when I see someone say, $5 on number X.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Tim Raines IRL posted:

why don't you just fill the tank?

I do.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
gas station down the street from me has a cash input thingy.

i feed it a dollar bill sometimes for lawnmower gas

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I dont know if this is a canada thing but most pumps I go to let you enter the dollar amount first before pumping and cut it off when you get there

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

I used to work at a gas station dawg dunno if some pumps work different tho

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Skrill.exe posted:

Works best if you're not even at pump 2

no, it only works on pump 2. should have mentioned that.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Waltzing Along posted:

I always feel sad when I see someone say, $5 on number X.

I've forgotten my wallet before without enough gas to get home.
Not sure which was more embarrassing, getting $2.00 worth (when gas was around $4) or begging for change outside a gas station for ten minutes.

ShaunO
Jan 29, 2006

Why is it not normal where you are to be able to ask for a $$$ amount at the counter for what you want
What's fucken poo poo where I am is you can't even fill up around here anymore because all the pumps are on prepay, and you can only prepay $99 at a time, sometimes they'll just unlock it for you. They used to have eftpos as the pumps too but that went away the same time everyone started making the pumps prepay. All in the name of getting you inside to buy lovely chocolate bars and cokes and save 4 cents a litre.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
You....can

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ShaunO posted:

Why is it not normal where you are to be able to ask for a $$$ amount at the counter for what you want
What's fucken poo poo where I am is you can't even fill up around here anymore because all the pumps are on prepay, and you can only prepay $99 at a time, sometimes they'll just unlock it for you. They used to have eftpos as the pumps too but that went away the same time everyone started making the pumps prepay. All in the name of getting you inside to buy lovely chocolate bars and cokes and save 4 cents a litre.

How about you just use a card like an adult in the year 2014

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

LifeSizePotato posted:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

ShaunO posted:

Why don't you have a debit/credit card?

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
Speaking of entering numbers, are there any auto cruise controls out there that:

1) Let you just enter a target speed, instead of using the "set now" button?

2) Integrated to the GPS so it knows the speed of the current road segment and adjust?

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Tim Raines IRL posted:

no poors in this thread plz

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Serious question that has been bothering me, I see on pumps all the time that your bank may put a hold on your account when you get gas which makes sense but whenever I buy gas with my credit card or debit card I always see an authorization for $1 and then it takes days for the actual amount to show up.

What's up with that? Like is it how your bank knows you aren't a poor and doesn't put holds on checks and poors get like $50 holds instead of $1 holds when the buy gas or does the gas station preauthorize a different amount if they know you are using a pre-paid card or a poors bank?

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Three Olives posted:

Why don't you have a debit/credit card?

A lot of pumps (every one in my county) limit you to 99 dollars on a debit transaction, while a lot of trucks and rv's cost more than 99 dollars to fill.

Surprised you've never heard other rich people bitch about this, but I guess you live in an area where rv's boats and such aren't so popular.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 8, 2014

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Three Olives posted:

Serious question that has been bothering me, I see on pumps all the time that your bank may put a hold on your account when you get gas which makes sense but whenever I buy gas with my credit card or debit card I always see an authorization for $1 and then it takes days for the actual amount to show up.

What's up with that? Like is it how your bank knows you aren't a poor and doesn't put holds on checks and poors get like $50 holds instead of $1 holds when the buy gas or does the gas station preauthorize a different amount if they know you are using a pre-paid card or a poors bank?

i went to a ghetto gas station once and they charged me $99 as a hold. i noticed it like an hour later and was afraid somehow my card number got stolen or somebody started pumping right after me on my dime, but the visa lady said that's common and sure enough, it was gone the next day i think

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

so they know there is money there they charge it before you even pump or something i think

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Mike Gallego posted:

so they know there is money there they charge it before you even pump or something i think

Yeah I get how holds work but it's only $1 so hypothetically I guess I could buy $50 worth of gas and only have $2 in my account, typically holds are for more than they think the final purchase will be, like bars typically put a $20-$40 hold for a bar tab.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

lmao why would you ever want part of a tank of gas

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Parallax Scroll posted:

lmao why would you ever want part of a tank of gas

I do sometimes because the gas station next door to my house is stupid expensive, like stupid stupid, $.50-$.60+ a gallon more than most gas stations but sometimes I forget to get gas so I will buy like a gallon or two and then fill up at a not retardly stupid expensive gas station.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Three Olives posted:

Yeah I get how holds work but it's only $1 so hypothetically I guess I could buy $50 worth of gas and only have $2 in my account, typically holds are for more than they think the final purchase will be, like bars typically put a $20-$40 hold for a bar tab.

i think its cheap because its just to keep the people that legitimately have no money in the bank away. it might also be good at sometimes catching stolen cards?

Drunk Johnny
Jul 8, 2013

ripvb

PowerBuilder3 posted:

Speaking of entering numbers, are there any auto cruise controls out there that:

1) Let you just enter a target speed, instead of using the "set now" button?

2) Integrated to the GPS so it knows the speed of the current road segment and adjust?

yea ver interested in this as well and goons with advise?

Terry Francona
Jan 20, 2004

by Cowcaster
Don't prepay for gas inside. If you do it will do that annoying thing where pump slows way down, and it takes you 10 minutes to pump the last dollars worth.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I farted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Waltzing Along posted:

still lolling at this. dunno why it struck me as so funny.

me too man, me too

• Locked thread