Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gagelion
Jun 13, 2013

by XyloJW
The Hurt Locker winning was so obviously a way to avoid a 'popular blockbuster' from winning and to 'make history' by giving the award to a female director, it hurts.

Pretty much everyone today remembers Avatar as a cinematic masterpiece, and The Hurt Locker has already been swept into the dustbin of history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

theyre both poo poo op.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Avatar was poo poo sorry to break it OP

Redjakk
Apr 24, 2007

cormano sigue siendo mi hermano
Fun Shoe
I didn't watch An Education but I'm going to insist that it should have won.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
Both terrific films in very different ways OP hard to call.

gagelion
Jun 13, 2013

by XyloJW
Avatar was basically the best movie of the 00s. I'd challenge anyone to name anything that's come close until the avengers came out.

cis white male
Jul 5, 2014

i'm a fag i'm a lesbian
Hurt Locker was cool and it was fun to watch military goons shouting 'UNREALISTIC, THEY DIDN'T FOLLOW PROTOCOL' when that was clearly the point

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
hurt locker was mad gay. actor, writer, and director all were clumsy as poo poo in their treatment of ptsd and the subject matter in general

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

gagelion posted:

Avatar was basically the best movie of the 00s. I'd challenge anyone to name anything that's come close until the avengers came out.

Transformers 3

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

gagelion posted:

Black Swan, the Fighter, Inception, 127 Hours, District 9, Inglourious Basterds

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
If Hurt Locker didn't win an Oscar would we still have gotten Zero Dark Thirty?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

gagelion posted:

pfhaahahahaahahaha

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
no movies are good

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

edit:^^^^^^^ hey fucker!!! :mad:

Everything sucked in the 00s. No good movies came out, they all sucked.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Thump! posted:

Everything sucked in the 00s. No good movies came out, they all sucked.

actually 00s were very good for movies

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
dont call me a fucker just because youre a slowposting idiot

edit i was too slow to post this :negative:

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
Best era was the mid 80's, goonies, BTTF, ghostbusters, gremlins etc.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

If they cut out all the obvious furry pandering in avatar it would of been a pretty alright sci-fi flick

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
avatar was bad too. poo poo cost like a billion dollars all so james cameron could say some poo poo everyone already knew. anyone who has been to a first grade class on earth day or seeen like fern gully or some poo poo should have found avatar redundant. i bet james cameron will make a 10 billion dollar blockbuster about how its hosed up to abuse pets next

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I enjoyed Dances With Wolves. I was ambivalent to Dances With Wolves In Space.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
we're getting a irl avatar theme park and like 4 more loving movies thanks to everyone who bought a ticket to that movie, so good job assholes

i bet the theme park will be pretty rad thoug

Mr. Stingly
Sep 1, 2001

Satanic cop-killing henchman with a heart of gold
Avatar was like the first time I genuinely felt like I'd gone through some kind of tear in dimensions and ended up in a world where everyone is a couple notches dumber because they all loved Avatar. It was the most paint-by-numbers movie I've ever seen to this day.

It's like, are you scumbags really this blown by bright colors? Is there literally nothing separating us from the monkeys in the loving trees? I could put a giant mirror up there and win a best picture nomination. How else to explain reality shows dominating the airwaves for a decade and counting.

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Stingly posted:

I could put a giant mirror up there and win a best picture nomination.

not advocating intense dark poo poo like thi,s but if you did it... youd be a loving legend

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

To answer the OPs question, no we can't all agree on that. Sorry. Close thread.

Sunshine Mix
Jun 11, 2009

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

Black Swan, the Fighter, Inception, 127 Hours, District 9, Inglourious Basterds

Jesus Christ

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

cis white male posted:

Hurt Locker was cool and it was fun to watch military goons shouting 'UNREALISTIC, THEY DIDN'T FOLLOW PROTOCOL' when that was clearly the point

Nah it's a dumb lovely movie just like Zero Dark Thirty.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

i think the series was better tbh, but not the new stuff with the chick

also m. knight is kinda bad

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
i never saw avatar or titanic. I heard they are poo poo.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Sunshine Mix posted:

Jesus Christ
I didn't like Inception much but he's right all those are better than avatar

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
This thread features some of the shittiest taste in film I've ever seen. Does anyone even watch anything outside the mall movie theaters?

turdriver
May 31, 2014

by XyloJW

gagelion posted:

lol you dumb goonbaby if youre even mentioning movies about a play thing 6 year olds do

Mr. Stingly
Sep 1, 2001

Satanic cop-killing henchman with a heart of gold

Love Rat posted:

This thread features some of the shittiest taste in film I've ever seen. Does anyone even watch anything outside the mall movie theaters?

OBVIOUSLY. Like we even need to explain that our local small cinemae's showing of "Laurel and Hardy Paint a Fence" completely CRUSH stupid Avatar, and I hardly need to mention that I literally choked back tears when Laurel's suspenders snapped and fell about his knees socks. HO, what cinemaea. If I hadn't been confined to a wheelchair by polio after consuming 90 year old authentic soda pop, I would have given a standing ovation to that one.

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

theyre both poo poo op.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
not to drop a truth bomb in your hurtlocker, but they both sucked

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
As someone who rooted for it to win back in 09 and saw it waaaay too many times in theaters, gently caress no.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Mr. Stingly posted:

How else to explain reality shows dominating the airwaves for a decade and counting.
cause they're non-union and cost gently caress-all to produce

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Mr. Stingly posted:

OBVIOUSLY. Like we even need to explain that our local small cinemae's showing of "Laurel and Hardy Paint a Fence" completely CRUSH stupid Avatar, and I hardly need to mention that I literally choked back tears when Laurel's suspenders snapped and fell about his knees socks. HO, what cinemaea. If I hadn't been confined to a wheelchair by polio after consuming 90 year old authentic soda pop, I would have given a standing ovation to that one.

Applause.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

As someone who rooted for it to win back in 09 and saw it waaaay too many times in theaters, gently caress no.

were u sad that u couldn't live to Pandora

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I thought avatar was really bad and I walked out about half way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
I guess, OP

• Locked thread