Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Don Tacorleone posted:

no it depends what kind of thing

lol yeah but a lot of rolexes are kinda gaudy too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I worked with a guy when I was a lifeguard who was big into Surf League, which is lifeguarding skills comps (throw/tow rope, board rescues, etc) that quite a few lifeguards were into.

He would never stop talking about how hardcore Surf League was, how it was just about to be announced as a Summer Olympics sport (how I don't know, it was like 7 different kinds rescues), owned a loving Subaru like all the other Surf League weirdos and never stopped talking about Surf League.

He also owned a Rolex Submariner (the James Bond watch) despite being a 30k Millionaire.

Man I hated that guy.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

I worked with a guy when I was a lifeguard who was big into Surf League, which is lifeguarding skills comps (throw/tow rope, board rescues, etc) that quite a few lifeguards were into.

He would never stop talking about how hardcore Surf League was, how it was just about to be announced as a Summer Olympics sport (how I don't know, it was like 7 different kinds rescues), owned a loving Subaru like all the other Surf League weirdos and never stopped talking about Surf League.

He also owned a Rolex Submariner (the James Bond watch) despite being a 30k Millionaire.

Man I hated that guy.

shoulda taken him to school professor shark and ate him

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
appreciate these things:
  • thousand dollar shaving rigs purchased with accumulated SSI money
  • expensive japanese jeans
  • $500+ fountain pens that can't survive a 4 foot drop

do not, under any circumstances, appreciate or respect these things or people who have ever had anything to do with them:
  • nuanced opinion
  • interactions with members of the opposite sex that do not involve loving or trying to gently caress them

more to cum

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Al Cowens posted:

appreciate these things:
  • thousand dollar shaving rigs purchased with accumulated SSI money
  • expensive japanese jeans
  • $500+ fountain pens that can't survive a 4 foot drop

do not, under any circumstances, appreciate or respect these things or people who have ever had anything to do with them:
  • nuanced opinion
  • interactions with members of the opposite sex that do not involve loving or trying to gently caress them

more to cum

lol

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Sometimes, if you want a girl to like you, you need to deepthroat her big, veiny penis. This is my nuanced opinion.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Professor Shark posted:

Man I hated that guy.

Sounds like you're just a bitter shark about that totally rad guy in Surf League.

naem
May 29, 2011

I knew a bunch of people who got sucked into a MLM who thought they'd earned 100k selling insurance who ran out and bought bmw's.

Who then found out the commission they were paid gets "charged back" if people stop making their monthly payments on the insurance product, ever. Meaning you now owe $90k back.

The repo tow truck used to park across the street from the unairconditioned warehouse they met at and just wait

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
when i was finishing up college i lived in a rented room. the lady that rented it out was relaly working towards being a professional adult, with a professional career, important friends and other poo poo like that.

every party she ever threw consisted of some food and a big tub of sangria. regardless of the occasion or the time of day or the month of the year, she had sangria in this big loving glass dispenser.

to me, her adulthood was a lot like that sangria, the same way that adulthood is a lot like the straight razor or the fedora. a lot of the poo poo she did and the things she expected of herself and others was dependent on this cargo cult mentality of "this is what adults do, so i must do them to appear as an adult"

her friends operated on the same principle. she had a friend who ran marathons and would bring that fact up repeatedly along the course of a conversation as a token to remember her by. she had a real life, you see, she ran marathons. this other woman is a true adult, you see, she wears a christmas sweater to the brunch for it is christmas time, let us all make jokes about the christmas sweater. this man is a true adult, you see, for he talks about politics in open conversation, but only with other men because those silly women wouldnt understand our views.

this is like finding out that at the end of the ride "its a small world after all" they tear you from the boat and plant you, screaming, into the sing-song chorus for the rest of your life.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its all practice really, like when the kids hit middle and high school they practice conforming to whatever peer group or counter culture they think they fit in to and then the same thing happens in college with new groups. then by the time they are an adult they realize "oh i am adult now i guess i have to drop all these labels and focus on the adult one exclusively" while the stupid ones think "well this label is what makes me unique, never mind the millions of people who also wear it."

really its kinda problem with how we are wired biologically, humans are dumb social creatures first and foremost.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

mr.capps posted:

its all practice really, like when the kids hit middle and high school they practice conforming to whatever peer group or counter culture they think they fit in to and then the same thing happens in college with new groups. then by the time they are an adult they realize "oh i am adult now i guess i have to drop all these labels and focus on the adult one exclusively" while the stupid ones think "well this label is what makes me unique, never mind the millions of people who also wear it."

really its kinda problem with how we are wired biologically, humans are dumb social creatures first and foremost.

That's some deep poo poo bro

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
I was ready to hate everything after clicking but the totoro gif disarmed me

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

naem posted:

I knew a bunch of people who got sucked into a MLM who thought they'd earned 100k selling insurance who ran out and bought bmw's.

Who then found out the commission they were paid gets "charged back" if people stop making their monthly payments on the insurance product, ever. Meaning you now owe $90k back.

The repo tow truck used to park across the street from the unairconditioned warehouse they met at and just wait

lol owned

seriously how do people not understand: if it sounds too good to be true, it is. you don't just trip, fall and land in a 6 figure job. that takes, like, degrees or it has to involve the oil industry.

Sestze posted:

when i was finishing up college i lived in a rented room. the lady that rented it out was relaly working towards being a professional adult, with a professional career, important friends and other poo poo like that.

every party she ever threw consisted of some food and a big tub of sangria. regardless of the occasion or the time of day or the month of the year, she had sangria in this big loving glass dispenser.

to me, her adulthood was a lot like that sangria, the same way that adulthood is a lot like the straight razor or the fedora. a lot of the poo poo she did and the things she expected of herself and others was dependent on this cargo cult mentality of "this is what adults do, so i must do them to appear as an adult"

her friends operated on the same principle. she had a friend who ran marathons and would bring that fact up repeatedly along the course of a conversation as a token to remember her by. she had a real life, you see, she ran marathons. this other woman is a true adult, you see, she wears a christmas sweater to the brunch for it is christmas time, let us all make jokes about the christmas sweater. this man is a true adult, you see, for he talks about politics in open conversation, but only with other men because those silly women wouldnt understand our views.

this is like finding out that at the end of the ride "its a small world after all" they tear you from the boat and plant you, screaming, into the sing-song chorus for the rest of your life.

mr.capps posted:

some seriously good posts here. way too good for my stupid thread and i only know how to shitpost so gently caress if i can add anything. just everyone read these posts.

good posts.

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE

icantfindaname posted:

the true mark of adulthood is unhappiness, overcompensation, emotional repression and a lack of meaningful relationships

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax

Don Tacorleone posted:

That's some deep poo poo bro

balls deep

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Baseball bad pass it on

Planitia
Jan 26, 2011

Do I look like the sort of person who knows things?

This is sad and disgusting. The 5 things on that list I own are purely for work and the car is hosed up at the front anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Planitia posted:

This is sad and disgusting. The 5 things on that list I own are purely for work and the car is hosed up at the front anyway.
i have most of the things on the list but reading that makes me want fewer, not more of them

• Locked thread