Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Dolemite posted:

After working for a few companies that were Mac shops and handed out Macbooks to their employees, I ended up really liking the Mac OS. So to replace the Dell, I ended up going with a Macbook Pro. I just don't see any Windows based offerings that are attractive to me. Any time I roll through Best Buy to kill some time, all the laptops I see look like flimsy pieces of junk. Keyboards are stiff to type on, ergonomics looking like the thing will hurt my wrists after five minutes, etc.

That's because they are. They're consumer grade junk and they're built cheaply because people only want to pay ~$300.ish for a laptop. We buy the business class latitudes at work and they're pretty good. The AC adapters are still a weak point (at least in a healthcare environment where people aren't very careful with equipment), but overall they've been pretty solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Malek posted:

Out of curiosity, did you get Basic or ProSupport contracts on these? World of difference from my observations.

I'm curious about this myself. We get the Mission Critical 4 hour deal and it's been great.

I'm also curious if they got the basic DRAC or Enterprise DRAC because again, Enterprise is great. I've yet to be able to test iLO with a full license, so I can't compare apples to apples, but just looking at the layout, I think I prefer DRAC.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Aphrodite posted:

The IT Manager said Dell told him that it he were to get Dell certified they would be able to just send him parts to do it himself. That ended up being the final straw.

I'm sure there are other ways. I think the type of support you purchase makes a difference. No one here is Dell Certified and they offer us a choice between sending a tech or just the parts. They did mention that if we were able to get certified that we would be able to bypass the techs and just order the replacement parts directly.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Just had an issue with a brand spankin' new system (Optiplex 9020 mini tower). Hooked it up and the fans immediately spool up to full speed. It then beeps stating that there was a previous thermal event. I think to myself "That's odd, it's just out of the box, it shouldn't have had a chance to even have a thermal event".

Went into the BIOS and cleared the event log. Sure enough, it comes back. Ran the diagnostics and it says the thermistor for the ambient air temp shows a reading of -67F. Pop open the side panel and look for the thermistor. It's attached to the inside front of the chasis and connects to the motherboard using small thin cable. Turns out, whomever had put this together managed to get the cable pinched between the case and the speaker/beeper. Unhooked the speaker and moved the cable and right away the fans begin spooling back down. Had to clear the event log and away we go.

I could have swore you could manually trigger the battery test if you had the software installed, but I just installed it for a Dell 1920W battery that is sitting under my desk and there's no option to be found despite the fact that the release notes specifically state that, that option was added to that release.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Is there another piece of software to run locally that gives more options? We purchased the network mgmt card for them and the webgui doesn't have an option for it. The LCD panel has a way to select battery test but it only has a schedule option. Dell support just forwards me a snippet of the manual which is unhelpful.

Do you know the model or the approximate date of manufacture? When I was searching for mine, I saw a Dell forum post that said that 2012 and newer units should have a Service Tag, so if it's fairly recent it should be easy to find. If it's older, I had to find it manually. Support.dell.com, it should be under: Servers, Storage & Networking > Rack Infrastructure and choose the model. For my model, the software was called Dell UPS ULNM and MUMC Management Software.

ULNM = UPS Local Node Manager
MUMC = Multi-UPS Management Console

• Locked thread