Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Tasty
Jul 21, 2005

Hueheheh-and you GOT one
There is about to be a focus shift to the single player campaign, but I don't have a definite answer as to how far away it will be.

We're in the middle of the UI overhaul; don't know when it'll be ready for the live build, though I assure you we're working on it.

Real hurthling! posted:

Any news on when ks backers who didn't have early access will get their game codes?

Codes are being released in batches of 400 per hour or something, alphabetically. We started this process the other day; backers should receive their codes in the next 6 days.

Aquila posted:

Woah, my company total swapped offices with White Moon Dreams like two years ago. I had no idea they'd managed to turn things around, that's sweet.

I saw some pictures of our previous office and if it's the place we swapped with you I'm completely jealous. That place is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
The Kickstarter email said like... Late November for the Solo Campaign. gently caress me.

Right now the game seems ok but Focus isn't exactly working how I am used to and I am not always sure if my jacks are in Caster range to get said Focus.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I guess it's not really surprising considering this is not a big budget title but in my mind I always thought a game for a franchise like this would be a F2P 1:1 copy with DLC for stuff like models, decals, color schemes/army painter/customization bits and maybe something like terrain or tilesets or whatever.

It's kind of a bummer that the best way to play WM online is still some lovely fan made module for Vassal.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Det_no posted:

I guess it's not really surprising considering this is not a big budget title but in my mind I always thought a game for a franchise like this would be a F2P 1:1 copy with DLC for stuff like models, decals, color schemes/army painter/customization bits and maybe something like terrain or tilesets or whatever.

It's kind of a bummer that the best way to play WM online is still some lovely fan made module for Vassal.

I'm really surprised people would think that. While at first that seems like a good idea, from a business perspective it just isnt wise (as well as other reasons that folks more knowledgeable than I have listed). I can understand why they went the route they did, and I hope it'll be an enjoyable enough product in its own :)

I just want to be Cygnar and shoot some fools. Ratta tat tat. Long Gunner all up in ya. ATGM making double-orphans outta orphans.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

As a bit of a digression but since it keeps coming up, are there any videogames that are 1:1 translations of a tabletop game? I can't think of any beyond Magic (I assume) and I'm genuinely curious if any exist.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

DiHK posted:

What I can't fathom is why TT players in general don't understand that the difference in medium very often necessitates a difference in rule set. D&D, Battle Tech, War Machine, I'm sure 40k players had sperg fits about Dawn of War.

There exists a perfect 1:1 translation of the tabletop Battletech rules to PC in the form of Megamek. It not only perfectly emulates the tabletop rules, it's a huge blast to play because it removes all the fiddly paperwork and dice table checking that actually playing physical Battletech entails. Mechwarrior is an entirely different genre of game that doesn't scratch the same itch.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

rantmo posted:

As a bit of a digression but since it keeps coming up, are there any videogames that are 1:1 translations of a tabletop game? I can't think of any beyond Magic (I assume) and I'm genuinely curious if any exist.

On the top of my head, Cyanide's Blood Bowl was a mostly 1:1 translation, might be 100% depending on the rules as they stand now. And there are a bunch of non-miniature boardgames with proper ports over PC, Android, and iOS.

Surprisingly, the Magic games on PC started with a good 1:1 port and then put in various limitations for future games.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

SilverMike posted:

On the top of my head, Cyanide's Blood Bowl was a mostly 1:1 translation, might be 100% depending on the rules as they stand now. And there are a bunch of non-miniature boardgames with proper ports over PC, Android, and iOS.

Surprisingly, the Magic games on PC started with a good 1:1 port and then put in various limitations for future games.

To add to this, on the horizon apparently there is a Mordheim PC game coming out but it's yet to see if it'll be faithful to the base game or not.

Blood bowl is pretty much a one to one translation barring a few bugged rules (changing weather comes to mind) and a few show stopping bugs that is the equivalent to the enemy player flipping the game table, ragequitting, and having it count against you. Despite the bugginess it's still fairly popular and has a pretty busy goon league. IOS Blood bowl is limited to humans and orcs, but with wood elves, skaven, chaos, and hitlers as in app purchases.

If Mordheim takes off I can only hope they do something similar for Necromunda.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
One thing to keep in mind is that despite all the things that Cyanide bloodbowl does for you automatically a game on there still takes longer than a game on the actual board(provided both players know the rules and aren't looking things up). A 50 pt game of warmachine already takes a good period of time, just think how much longer it would take on a 1:1 translation computer game.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I haven't played it in a bit now, but are McThralls still absurdly powerful? Last time I played I was up against someone who had about 10 of them and I killed a whole one before they started charging in and one-shotting all my infantry.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

HiveCommander posted:

I haven't played it in a bit now, but are McThralls still absurdly powerful? Last time I played I was up against someone who had about 10 of them and I killed a whole one before they started charging in and one-shotting all my infantry.

Working as intended.

Did you try artillery? That was my solution on the TT. Same with all of my problems.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

SilverMike posted:

Blood Bowl is a great example of a fantastic game crippled by a horrible UI. When you hit ESC, you might expect a menu to pop up. No, that's F10. ESC changes the Camera. I wish I were kidding.

I'd like to give my impressions about the game. I know it's a early beta and long way to go etc etc. But it's in a state that PP feels is worthy of accepting money for, so that has to be taken into consideration.

At its base level, I adore X-com and Tactics games, and the more that the UI and flow of battle mimics X-com, the better. But right off the bat I feel like there's too many models on the field. It's fine to run a meat mountain or infantry spam on the tabletop, but there's also a good reason X-com and FF Tactics only give the player 5-6 characters per battle. For single-player it makes each character a 'hero' in their own right, and makes each turn faster. If the focus is on multiplayer [i.e. the single player won't have randomized battles ala X-com] then faster turns full of excitement will be an important design choice.

I guess the other option is to wait for heavier infantry so that I can fill my points with less models. It also would help against the disparity between jacks and dudes. I like the disparity, but it does kinda suck when you have 5 infantry who are incapable of damaging the ironmans. In the tabletop, this is a list-design consideration. In a video game I think it should be more balanced, especially for people who aren't familiar with WM, and when a single model is supposed to represent a group.

Right now with the UI changes, i'd like to see a "smart facing" where the character auto-adjusts at the end of their movement to see the most enemies, then lets you change it if you want. Personally I don't think facing is necessary at all in the game. I know a lot of people are concerned the game won't be enough like the TT game. I feel the opposite, I'm concerned the game will try to ape the TT game too much and not be the best video game it could be.

Some minor things I'd like to note:
They need a lower volume on idle animations. I like them, but the lancer's "TONK-TONK" every few seconds gets grating.
Maybe add an undo button for movement before you commit to attacks? Unless hidden enemy models are important ala X-com, it might be a good ease-of-life addition.
Please make the accuracy for non-auto-hit attacks "99%" instead of "100%" I missed a "100% Accuracy" boosted attack by rolling 1-1-1. I know it can happen and the accuracy technically rounded up to 100% [215/216 chance to hit!], but it sure happened.
Visible icons for moving into Concealment/Cover would be neat.

I have to say, the game does a lot of things well. The "out of control area" icons are clear and visible. The [accusatory clanging] was a great introduction to new players about how the warjacks have their own personality, even though they're man-made. I liked Jakes character and sense of female empowerment, and I look forward to that continuing throughout the story. The core concept of the game is solid and where I was originally concerned about the jacks being too "floaty" I think that they did a good job of making them feel like they have weight. I love the way it shows you what you can target when you move.

If I may ask, why aren't damage grids being used for jacks? They are a great design choice in the tabletop game and randomizing damage in a video game is incredibly easy. Even if its effects are more tame than the tabletop, I feel like it would be a great mechanical addition to the game. It gives the player a better feeling of how their jack is damaged, rather than just X many squares of damage.

Alpha Phoenix fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 2, 2014

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Can anyone explain why... well. Squads aren't, you know, squads? That'd probably make the meat swarms a lot more playable :/

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Brainbread posted:

Can anyone explain why... well. Squads aren't, you know, squads? That'd probably make the meat swarms a lot more playable :/

Well, the position of each dude matters so you can't just have them doing whatever. I think they were right not to do the unit activation system from TT, but they kept in a pretty high model count anyway which doesn't make much sense to me.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Well, the position of each dude matters so you can't just have them doing whatever. I think they were right not to do the unit activation system from TT, but they kept in a pretty high model count anyway which doesn't make much sense to me.

Well, I mean, just have them centered on a central model or something, and re-arrange the rest of the guys at the destination? Because the individual model route is pretty nightmarish. Its seriously what we did when we played the TT. But then again, we're not huge sticklers.

Dr Tasty
Jul 21, 2005

Hueheheh-and you GOT one
:siren: There is now a $40 version available in the steam store page. The pricier bundle is still available :siren:

We have gone through a couple of patch updates and are now on a 2 week schedule. We have added 4 Warcasters to the roster since then:
- Markus "Siege" Brisbane
- Iron Lich Asphyxious
- Kommander Strakhov
- Grand Scrutator Severius

Including the new map "Snowy Valley."

Single player is ramping up and it's coming together pretty nicely. We also have the new interface in and it works really nicely. Should be a large improvement from what was there before.

Dr Tasty fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 4, 2014

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

So I just bought this thing is there a multiplayer group for goons or whatever?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Dr Tasty posted:

:siren:
- Iron Lich Asphyxious

Yesssssssssss.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Dear game makers,

In TYOOL2014 when you only provide the options of "Fullscreen Windowed" and "Windowed" and your game requires side scrolling with a mouse. Lock the fuckin goddamn screen so my mouse doesn't move to my second monitor unless I alt tab.

Edit: PS I need steam friends who want to show me how to play this game thank you!

E2: As someone who never played the TT version of Warmachine I can say that the mechanics of the game feel very fluid and the UI isn't bad. The game itself feels pretty decent from the short bit I've played. However, good lord, the unit selection choices are underwhelming. I'd like to see 3x the units at release otherwise games are gonna be reeeeeeeeeal stale.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 10, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I think this game suffers a bit in that, currently, I don't even have the option to have more than like 4 choices. I'd be happy to pay for more Warcasters/jacks/units, but I can't yet, and so I'm stuck trying to figure out bad theme lists using like 4 different units.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I just bought this without realizing just how early access it is. The one single player map available is just way too easy for someone already familiar with the table top game. Is there more stuff to do that I am not aware yet?

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

The Dregs posted:

I just bought this without realizing just how early access it is. The one single player map available is just way too easy for someone already familiar with the table top game. Is there more stuff to do that I am not aware yet?

They just started adding single player stuff, the game to this point has been all about multiplayer which, sadly, is getting harder and harder to find a game right now.

Overall it's a solid game but I think right now the game is suffering from low faction and low unit counts causing it to feel a little stale for people.

Not to mention that a surprising number of people just up and quit if they see Cryx on the other side of the field or if their feat turn doesn't go right.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Dr Tasty posted:

:siren: There is now a $40 version available in the steam store page. The pricier bundle is still available :siren:

We have gone through a couple of patch updates and are now on a 2 week schedule. We have added 4 Warcasters to the roster since then:
- Markus "Siege" Brisbane
- Iron Lich Asphyxious
- Kommander Strakhov
- Grand Scrutator Severius

Including the new map "Snowy Valley."

Single player is ramping up and it's coming together pretty nicely. We also have the new interface in and it works really nicely. Should be a large improvement from what was there before.

When you say "we", do you work for Whitemoon...?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Sab669 posted:

When you say "we", do you work for Whitemoon...?

Yeah, he's been pretty open about that.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I just found this thread :v:

though I totally didn't realize he was the OP. Hrmm...

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
I kickstarted this because I love the TT game, but going with a square based grid instead of at least using hexes and when they should really be using free movement is really dumb. Has this changed at all with the latest builds because I'm not even going to bother patching if they are not even trying to be on the same planet as the tabletop game is. Getting around and behind certain units is a staple of many strategies and special powers like ghost walk.

fnordcircle posted:

They just started adding single player stuff, the game to this point has been all about multiplayer which, sadly, is getting harder and harder to find a game right now.

Overall it's a solid game but I think right now the game is suffering from low faction and low unit counts causing it to feel a little stale for people.

Not to mention that a surprising number of people just up and quit if they see Cryx on the other side of the field or if their feat turn doesn't go right.

This is basically how the game works in tabletop, your feat turn usually makes or breaks your game, and if you hosed up your feat turn it's common to concede in tabletop, especially when you are in many cases immediately subjected to a return assassination, especially with someone like sorcha or asphyxious. Maybe when they start introducing non prime warcasters that don't abide by the trope, some of the brick warcasters would be nice, although those are more common in Hordes.

Washout fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 28, 2014

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Washout posted:

I kickstarted this because I love the TT game, but going with a square based grid instead of at least using hexes and when they should really be using free movement is really dumb. Has this changed at all with the latest builds because I'm not even going to bother patching if they are not even trying to be on the same planet as the tabletop game is. Getting around and behind certain units is a staple of many strategies and special powers like ghost walk.

This is basically how the game works in tabletop, your feat turn usually makes or breaks your game, and if you hosed up your feat turn it's common to concede in tabletop, especially when you are in many cases immediately subjected to a return assassination, especially with someone like sorcha or asphyxious. Maybe when they start introducing non prime warcasters that don't abide by the trope, some of the brick warcasters would be nice, although those are more common in Hordes.

Reminds me, since the Warcaster I loved to death was regular Vlad, is he in the game? (It reminds me because I rarely got good use out of his feat, since you can only really run one Warjack off him). He was a weird sort of brick. Blood of Kings was pretty good at doing that, though you'd spend the rest of your time using him as a mobile buff-bot.

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 28, 2014

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Brainbread posted:

Reminds me, since the Warcaster I loved to death was regular Vlad, is he in the game? (It reminds me because I rarely got good use out of his feat, since you can only really run one Warjack off him). He was a weird sort of brick. Blood of Kings was pretty good at doing that, though you'd spend the rest of your time using him as a mobile buff-bot.

Not not yet afaik, I think they are only putting in two warcasters from like the first two books or something? I think the first set of warcasters are all either the new ones invented just for the game or prime tho.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

The Apotheosis Warcasters are coming as DLC (Karchev, Harbinger, Darius, and Terminus). Excited for Harbinger at least.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Washout posted:

I can't imagine that they'd have written some sort of "placeholder" system (the grid) if they intended to use hexes in the end.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Sab669 posted:

I can't imagine that they'd have written some sort of "placeholder" system (the grid) if they intended to use hexes in the end.

I just had some kind of hope that they would play with other grid types for some reason. I'll wait and give it another shot when it releases so then I'll at least see the final game.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I really wish it were hexes as well, I feel like I'm never quite sure what's in my front arc or not.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Sab669 posted:

I really wish it were hexes as well, I feel like I'm never quite sure what's in my front arc or not.

Hexes would definitely be a good solution, since facing towards any side of the hex will leave a clear front and back arc. It would definitely be a lot better solution than squares. I'm sort of hoping the game goes on sale so I can try it myself, but as it stands right now and with this thread, I'm not sure if that'll be a good idea, or if I should just wait way down the road :/

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I definitely really enjoy it every time I load up the game, just that there are small things that I wish were a little different :shrug:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hmm, I was really wondering what they were going to do about Bile Thralls in the vid'ya game... They seem way less good than their tabletop variant :(

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
Thats good because table top biles are loving retarded for their point cost.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

They just do 3 damage to things in a 3x3 in front of them. 4 points a piece, I think it was. Is there any timeline when we might see the Warjacks of the Apotheosis? I just want Deathjack :(

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I know that the KS got to the Apotheosis so they should be in soon!

Tiny Turtle
May 2, 2008

Hi, buddies!
I'm giving this thing a whirl and streaming it. Doing all there is of the singleplayer, then diving into skirmish / multiplayer.

You can find the stream here: http://www.twitch.tv/tinyturtlesa/

Done! I rather enjoyed that, I must say.

Tiny Turtle fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Oh hey this game. I remember backing this game. Wait... DX11? Damnit! I need to upgrade my rig.

• Locked thread