Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Seconding on the UI being a mess right now. Something I liked from the card system which probably would work well in the game, is hiding the stats until the target or unit is selected. Or at least having a good amount of display options.

Though, I sincerely hope there is a "A unit still requires orders!" thing to keep me from forgetting to use something.

Still, excited for this :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

As long as I can have my shield-walls of Man'O'War's, I will be happy. And eventually Vlad. I just want to make the army I played in person, pretty much. But yeah, with the introduction of Hordes the power creep was pretty much on full display.

In comparison, the early mercenary units were often just plain worse than the faction ones, until Eiryss started making a mess of everything (the Mangler and the Nomad are just vanilla, if not bad) . So, I am not too excited for those.

The main excited from the DLC for me is the unique jacks. They all were something that were unique, emphasized what armies were all about, and were fun. Also the Behemoth looks ridiculous.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

canada jezus posted:

I figured its because tabletop companies look at a 50€ price point for ALL OF OUR GAME ON THIS MAGIC BOX? as heresy. I just googled and apparently the warmachine stater set is 99 dollars. Maybe the slight differences are meant to assuage privateer press.

Edit: Stupid derail about cost of minis. Ignore.

The price of the game at the moment is a bit scary. It's standing in the spot of, "If this game turns out pretty good I'll wait for a Steam Sale".

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 7, 2014

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

So, are the Warjacks just a giant healthbar? Or is the damage set up in columns and just randomized like in the TT (also, I don't think too many people would cry from not being able to target specific parts).

Also, a combat UI like in Divinity: Original Sin would probably fit. The overall health is represented by a tiny bar underneath the Icon, all the actions are recognizable icons at the bottom (everything can Move, Run, Attack, Power Attack etc), and those could all be pretty easy to not be... giant strips of text. Arrow, Arrow with Speed Lines, a Sword, a Sword with a plus. Highlight things you can use and grey out ones you can't. Same goes for used Units and Unused. (Seriously, the UI needs a giant overhaul)

As for Infantry-> Solos, would it be possible to just have all the units in a giant Unit Circle? Put a squad leader in the middle, and the unit moves from the centre to the centre. Then let players re-arrange units in the circle as they want? As well, people might cry over not doing individual targeting, but I think groups firing on groups would be a more comfortable with the TT crowd than the Solos.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

Hang on, people actually thought they were going to 1:1 replicate the table top game?

We are hoping for something pretty drat close.

(I would really love a 1:1 replica of the TT game because I honestly hate painting and going to gaming shops for more than a few minutes)

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

HiveCommander posted:

I haven't played it in a bit now, but are McThralls still absurdly powerful? Last time I played I was up against someone who had about 10 of them and I killed a whole one before they started charging in and one-shotting all my infantry.

Working as intended.

Did you try artillery? That was my solution on the TT. Same with all of my problems.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Can anyone explain why... well. Squads aren't, you know, squads? That'd probably make the meat swarms a lot more playable :/

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Well, the position of each dude matters so you can't just have them doing whatever. I think they were right not to do the unit activation system from TT, but they kept in a pretty high model count anyway which doesn't make much sense to me.

Well, I mean, just have them centered on a central model or something, and re-arrange the rest of the guys at the destination? Because the individual model route is pretty nightmarish. Its seriously what we did when we played the TT. But then again, we're not huge sticklers.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Washout posted:

I kickstarted this because I love the TT game, but going with a square based grid instead of at least using hexes and when they should really be using free movement is really dumb. Has this changed at all with the latest builds because I'm not even going to bother patching if they are not even trying to be on the same planet as the tabletop game is. Getting around and behind certain units is a staple of many strategies and special powers like ghost walk.

This is basically how the game works in tabletop, your feat turn usually makes or breaks your game, and if you hosed up your feat turn it's common to concede in tabletop, especially when you are in many cases immediately subjected to a return assassination, especially with someone like sorcha or asphyxious. Maybe when they start introducing non prime warcasters that don't abide by the trope, some of the brick warcasters would be nice, although those are more common in Hordes.

Reminds me, since the Warcaster I loved to death was regular Vlad, is he in the game? (It reminds me because I rarely got good use out of his feat, since you can only really run one Warjack off him). He was a weird sort of brick. Blood of Kings was pretty good at doing that, though you'd spend the rest of your time using him as a mobile buff-bot.

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 28, 2014

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Sab669 posted:

I really wish it were hexes as well, I feel like I'm never quite sure what's in my front arc or not.

Hexes would definitely be a good solution, since facing towards any side of the hex will leave a clear front and back arc. It would definitely be a lot better solution than squares. I'm sort of hoping the game goes on sale so I can try it myself, but as it stands right now and with this thread, I'm not sure if that'll be a good idea, or if I should just wait way down the road :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

I was hoping that squads would have been made into squads by the time of release :/

• Locked thread