Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Board games are serious business these days. It might shock you if your definition of board game falls into the category of things like Risk and Monopoly, but a good game like Dominion or Game of Thrones will run you 30-60 dollars new and then 25-40 for additional expansions. Dominion is a great game but I think a copy of the game plus all the expansions would be several hundred dollars which is a bit goofy (all things considered it was worth it, my Dominion set has probably seen several thousand games).

Generally older games tend to be cheaper, although decent Mah Jong sets will easily set you back 100-300 dollars but that's sort of an extreme example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk Muscle
Oct 21, 2008

Jesus Christ, those noises :stare: Must.. stop.. laughing

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

plain blue jacket posted:

This is obviously a parody or is my faith in humanity naive?

It's from this, I assumed it was a parody when I first saw it but looking through the rest of this tumblr I don't think it is.

Most "lifehackers" will never even try a single lifehack so why these are popular is a mystery

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Yeah, :airquote: board games :airquote:, right

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tetracube posted:

It's from this, I assumed it was a parody when I first saw it but looking through the rest of this tumblr I don't think it is.

It's actually from here, I think that tumblr just stole the images and slapped some text on.

quote:

Why not go for a classy & tasteful costume this Halloween. You may notice that although it certainly is understated, it subtly pokes fun at Austrian macroeconomic theory.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Shelf Adventure posted:

I remember watching this super shrimpers show on the tv in the UK. One tip to save money was to save the netting you get when you buy oranges. After you get a lot of them, bundle them together and you don't need to waste money on a scouring pad. You know those things that last a while and are like 3 for £1?

"Pop" financial advisors loving love these nickle and dime schemes because it shows a definite (bugger all) amount that a person can save without actually saving enough to better their lives at all.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Rad Tad posted:

Yeah, :airquote: board games :airquote:, right

Jesus this costs as much as some backyard swingsets.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

This is how I eat cupcakes because it keeps the frosting out of my moustache, but I'm not going to say it's the "right" way.

Explain How!
Dec 14, 2013

dog days are over posted:

In no way inconvenient when trying to read the book

You only wrap the cover y'know. it's useful, not exactly a hack though.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh I get it! "Life hacks" that's cute! So like washing out your condoms for re-use instead of just throwing them away after one load.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I heard of one where you save linoleum samples and redo your floor with them. Or was it wallpaper? Whatever. The end effect was loving hideous.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

cname posted:

Oh I get it! "Life hacks" that's cute! So like washing out your condoms for re-use instead of just throwing them away after one load.

LifeHack: anal sex abortions are cheap

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Nutsngum posted:

"Pop" financial advisors loving love these nickle and dime schemes because it shows a definite (bugger all) amount that a person can save without actually saving enough to better their lives at all.

That show, Super Scrimpers, had a right bunch of lovely awful tips that make frugal people look crazy. Most of the people giving out tips were slightly unhinged elderly women, but there was this one girl in her 20s who suggested you make a "cool" shirt out of a vintage pillowcase. Ok, I've actually done that with a set of 60s pillowcases, opening them up and using a pattern; you'd be surprised how much fabric is in there.

She did some Harry Potter house elf bullshit by just cutting a head hole and armholes in the drat thing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

madlilnerd posted:

That show, Super Scrimpers, had a right bunch of lovely awful tips that make frugal people look crazy. Most of the people giving out tips were slightly unhinged elderly women, but there was this one girl in her 20s who suggested you make a "cool" shirt out of a vintage pillowcase. Ok, I've actually done that with a set of 60s pillowcases, opening them up and using a pattern; you'd be surprised how much fabric is in there.

She did some Harry Potter house elf bullshit by just cutting a head hole and armholes in the drat thing.

The other important thing about a "life hack" is it's supposed to be no-effort, so that doesn't surprise me.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Not a life hack but this thread reminds me of Sandra Lee's loving Kwanzaa cake https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we2iWTJqo98

(edit)

And the Hanukkah cake with the $1 store pearls. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj89Ax60DEI

13Pandora13 has a new favorite as of 02:14 on Jul 12, 2014

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

The gently caress :barf:

Her semi homemade tv show screamed lovely life hacks.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

http://youtu.be/oM2PwriqOjc

Here's one great cosmo technique. (skip to 2:30). Every man deserves to be grapefruited.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I love Sandra Lee so much. Now for another Youtube binge.

Oh yeah, in the Hannukah cake she used marshmallows which is made from pig gelatin.

SulfurMonoxideCute has a new favorite as of 02:22 on Jul 12, 2014

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Tea Party Crasher posted:

http://youtu.be/oM2PwriqOjc

Here's one great cosmo technique. (skip to 2:30). Every man deserves to be grapefruited.

Dude there's only 3 pages in this thread, really?

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012
Found a parody(?) of these life hacks on this site: http://unethicalhacks.com/

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

My favorite was actually from the newspaper in "Hints from Heloise." Heloise printed those "helpful hints" or whatever "Life Hacks" used to be called. Anyhoo, this woman watched the TV news every morning to find the weather and then decide what to wear based on the forecast. She kept getting shafted and going to work too cold or too hot. Her brilliant solution was to go outside in the morning to determine the weather. Imagine being proud to discover that. Ack.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

This is actually wrong and wrong in such a way that it:
a. tells people they should totally pretend to have an emotional support animal to avoid pet deposits or to pull one over on their landlord
b. tells people all they need to do is register with one of the for-profit agencies that make these "documents"
c. makes people disbelieve legitimate emotional support animals without this needless documentation

All of which is bullshit. To have an emotional support animal you only need two things: a diagnosis of a disability as defined by the ADA and documentation from a physician that this animal benefits you in some way. Then and only then are you entitled to housing exclusions under the ADA. Just printing a certificate off the internet will not cut it and you can be heavily fined for lying if you're discovered.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

This is actually wrong and wrong in such a way that it:
a. tells people they should totally pretend to have an emotional support animal to avoid pet deposits or to pull one over on their landlord
b. tells people all they need to do is register with one of the for-profit agencies that make these "documents"
c. makes people disbelieve legitimate emotional support animals without this needless documentation

All of which is bullshit. To have an emotional support animal you only need two things: a diagnosis of a disability as defined by the ADA and documentation from a physician that this animal benefits you in some way. Then and only then are you entitled to housing exclusions under the ADA. Just printing a certificate off the internet will not cut it and you can be heavily fined for lying if you're discovered.

This is the exact perfect mix of smug, useless and unethical that I love in life hacks.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

cname posted:

You joke but today I read an account from a woman who had an ectopic pregnancy and needed emergency surgery in Madagascar, and her friend took a picture of the nasty room where they were just washing the latex gloves for reuse. The whole story was just horrifying. But uh, life hack there I guess!

54 40 or fuck has a new favorite as of 03:07 on Jul 12, 2014

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Dr Snofeld posted:

This is the exact perfect mix of smug, useless and unethical that I love in life hacks.

I did some poking around and not only can you be fined but you can also be jailed up to a year.

:smuggo: : But your honor, this super rad life hacks tumblr told me it would be a really good idea, you can't send me to jail!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Penny Paper posted:

Found a parody(?) of these life hacks on this site: http://unethicalhacks.com/

Don't let George Costanza see this.

Minchin Dupree
Oct 23, 2008

...I'll smash them.

top tip

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

"didn't cost me a penny, except for all the cans of soda I bought!"

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

ApeHawk posted:

"didn't cost me a penny, except for all the cans of soda I bought!"

Silicone glue is also free!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Master Twig posted:

Silicone glue is also free!

Not to mention the fact that they deliberately cut out the actual gate for that :psyduck:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
We were able to depreciate the value of our house for free!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'd sort of hoped at first glance that they'd just wedged them all in there and expected them to stay via pressure, so one good slam would pop them all out.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The fact that they're not all lined up perfectly bugs me. 1/10, would not own gate.

miserable lil onion
Oct 15, 2008

HungryMedusa posted:

My favorite was actually from the newspaper in "Hints from Heloise." Heloise printed those "helpful hints" or whatever "Life Hacks" used to be called. Anyhoo, this woman watched the TV news every morning to find the weather and then decide what to wear based on the forecast. She kept getting shafted and going to work too cold or too hot. Her brilliant solution was to go outside in the morning to determine the weather. Imagine being proud to discover that. Ack.

There was a recent one where some poor woman wrote Heloise to ask how a shirt could be made of both 100 percent cotton and 100 percent algodon, as the tag indicated. :unsmith:

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
This one actually works, but it's not a lifehack so much...

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

PYF suicide methods Jesus Christ

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
No one's mentioned what happens should the toothpaste mints melt.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

WebDog posted:

No one's mentioned what happens should the toothpaste mints melt.

I thought of that. And they're specified after-dinner mints too so unless you leave them in the freezer good luck explaining why you thought a bowl of toothpaste would make a refreshing palate cleanser!

Also I cannot help but imagine that the overlap between people who think that's a good idea and people who have enough friends to host a dinner party is vanishingly small.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

razorrozar posted:

Also I cannot help but imagine that the overlap between people who think that's a good idea and people who have enough friends to host a dinner party is vanishingly small.

If that's all they could afford for after dinner, I want to know what monstrosity they served for main course.

Now remember everybody, canapes have got a reputation for being expensive and fiddly to make, so here, instead you can mash up a bunch of poo poo in your food processor and layer it in homemade breadbowls instead of going to Iceland and buying a party platter for £3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRIM-nXmRBc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

FutonForensic posted:

Reminds me of the :nms: Grapefruit Technique. :nms:

Edit: Oh my God. :cripes:

pwoarrrrr :stare: that is amazing