Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

plain blue jacket posted:

pwoarrrrr :stare: that is amazing

But is there insulation under them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Don't let George Costanza see this.

He would eat Doritos with chopsticks to look fancy in front of coworkers. This thread is made for him.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

razorrozar posted:

But is there insulation under them?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

plain blue jacket posted:

pwoarrrrr :stare: that is amazing

I still haven't figured out what the "hack" is supposed to be. It appears to be heaps of shelving stacked up to make a staircase. What is the benefit? Surely if you have a two-story house you have stairs already. Is it just to look "cool"?

Also, that looks like it wouldn't bear the load of an even slightly overweight person. Maybe that's the point?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

FutonForensic posted:

Edit: Oh my God. :cripes:

This is apparently off a design studio in the Netherlands, so despite appearing to be re-purposed bookshelves it could be properly designed to hold people. But yeah it's very form over function for the purpose of looking fancy in the environment it's in.

I can only hope the rather alarming gap in the middle still adheres to an even step height as us humans are horrid walking up stairs to the point where a very very slight deviation will cause us to stumble.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

WebDog posted:

I can only hope the rather alarming gap in the middle still adheres to an even step height as us humans are horrid walking up stairs to the point where a very very slight deviation will cause us to stumble.

Just eyeballing it, it looks like it does, but of course that doesn't necessarily mean a goddamn thing.

e: vvv which makes it moot whether it's spaced evenly or can support weight, I guess. But it also means it's not really a staircase, just an art piece that looks like one.

razorrozar has a new favorite as of 13:10 on Jul 12, 2014

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
It looks like it just leads up into a skylight.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

gently caress up the public beach like some kind of rear end in a top hat!

Do you have any clue about how beaches work.

Schlinky
Mar 12, 2009

...Too much drink.
Back about 12 years ago, Australia aired a TV series called Life Support. The basic premise was mocking lifestyle television shows in general, including dispensing handy hints on improving your daily life. Such advice included switching labels on wine bottles to prevent others drinking it at dinner parties, dressing up as a chef so you could walk around with knives or voluntarily electrocuting yourself at clubs so you can 'dance'.

Sadly there's not a huge amount on Youtube anymore, but there's some here and there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0eCGmWUxXg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMuOvE940KE

Schlinky has a new favorite as of 13:30 on Jul 12, 2014

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

13Pandora13 posted:

Not a life hack but this thread reminds me of Sandra Lee's loving Kwanzaa cake https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we2iWTJqo98

(edit)

And the Hanukkah cake with the $1 store pearls. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj89Ax60DEI

I have never seen these before and they might be my favourite thing posted in this thread.

Also, making bread bowls out of generic sliced bread and then filling it with mashed beans makes me wanna vomit.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Schlinky posted:

Back about 12 years ago, Australia aired a TV series called Life Support. The basic premise was mocking lifestyle television shows in general, including dispensing handy hints on improving your daily life. Such advice included switching labels on wine bottles to prevent others drinking it at dinner parties, dressing up as a chef so you could walk around with knives or voluntarily electrocuting yourself at clubs so you can 'dance'.

Sadly there's not a huge amount on Youtube anymore, but there's some here and there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0eCGmWUxXg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMuOvE940KE

Wow, there's some memories that show was fantastic.

Mr. Beefhead
May 8, 2003

I can make beans into peas.

WebDog posted:

No one's mentioned what happens should the toothpaste mints melt.

razorrozar posted:

I thought of that. And they're specified after-dinner mints too so unless you leave them in the freezer good luck explaining why you thought a bowl of toothpaste would make a refreshing palate cleanser!

Also I cannot help but imagine that the overlap between people who think that's a good idea and people who have enough friends to host a dinner party is vanishingly small.

It's a parody "tip" from a humor magazine. For gently caress's sake.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

gently caress this guy. Just ask for fresh fries. Asking for no salt assumes that you are doing so for health reasons and the station/fry scoop must be cleaned and it's a huge hassle during a busy rush hour. If you want them fresh just ask for them fresh.

Not getting raped is a lifehack I guess.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

OilSlick posted:

gently caress this guy. Just ask for fresh fries. Asking for no salt assumes that you are doing so for health reasons and the station/fry scoop must be cleaned and it's a huge hassle during a busy rush hour. If you want them fresh just ask for them fresh.

As a guy who cooked fries at McDonald's for approximately a year, I'd like to append "with a rusty carving knife" to "gently caress this guy".

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Order a Fillet-o-Fish at McDonalds. It's an unpopular item so will almost never be ready immediately, meaning after a few minutes you can complain and get your money back, and usually another item as well! Free food!

I've actually seen this happen :(

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

OilSlick posted:

I just want to say that as someone who had that lovely little tip passed by word of mouth back in the early 90s...sorry, we we lovely idiots.

Seriously, sorry. What an annoying thing to do.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

OilSlick posted:

Not getting raped is a lifehack I guess.

It's also pretty much bullshit, since the salty taste is very weak and the drink completely masks it. If anything, reading this makes you more likely to be raped, since it falsely implies that non-salty drinks are safe.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

It's also pretty much bullshit, since the salty taste is very weak and the drink completely masks it. If anything, reading this makes you more likely to be raped, since it falsely implies that non-salty drinks are safe.

Also the use of rohypnol is/was actually really rare, the majority of drink spike related rape is when the rapist just adds a ton more alcohol to already alcoholic drinks so the victim is drinking way more than they think and ends up much drunker than they planned.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Fatkraken posted:

Also the use of rohypnol is/was actually really rare, the majority of drink spike related rape is when the rapist just adds a ton more alcohol to already alcoholic drinks so the victim is drinking way more than they think and ends up much drunker than they planned.

There was a study done by a university at a hospital in England (Manchester, I think). They tested the blood of all the women who had come in complaining about their "drinks being spiked" and over the course of an entire year they didn't find anything except mild alcohol poisoning.

Not saying it should be discounted, but when I was younger it used to piss me off with the number of girls who would say, "Oh I woke up with a terrible headache today, my drink was definitely spiked!". No it wasn't, if your drink was spiked you'd have been raped/murdered/mugged, nobody is going around spiking peoples drinks for shits and giggles.

The worst thing is when women actually do get raped and immediately say their drinks were spiked. Lawyers try to tell their clients to keep their mouths shut about that even when talking off the record because if the defence get their hands on it they can - and will, and do - use it to destroy the victims credibility.

The only applicable lifehack in this situation is to keep your drink with you at all times and who isn't doing that anyway?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Fatkraken posted:

This actually happened to me as a dude at a party many years ago--I was never a heavy drinker and so had little to no experience with alcohol, and they thought it was funny to let me have one or two totally normal beers and then spike every other drink I had that night with stronger stuff. They didn't take it to pass-out drunk, but I was impaired enough that I ended up driving home drunk without thinking about it, and they didn't stop me.

duckmaster posted:

No it wasn't, if your drink was spiked you'd have been raped/murdered/mugged, nobody is going around spiking peoples drinks for shits and giggles.

No, that's exactly what some people do.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 18:50 on Jul 12, 2014

raven4267
May 7, 2009

OilSlick posted:

Back when I worked in food service we would just drop the fries back in the fryer and shake them around for a couple of seconds to get the salt off them.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

The biggest issue I see with this is cat owners would never be able to use those shelves as shelves.
Showed this to my husband the scenic engineer because it's gotten so much attention. He said since it is anchored at the top and the sides and the stair width is relatively narrow it's structurally sound enough to hold even fat goony types. Square tube steel and plywood are pretty strong.

Lotish posted:

This actually happened to me as a dude at a party many years ago--I was never a heavy drinker and so had little to no experience with alcohol, and they thought it was funny to let me have one or two totally normal beers and then spike every other drink I had that night with stronger stuff. They didn't take it to pass-out drunk, but I was impaired enough that I ended up driving home drunk without thinking about it, and they didn't stop me.

No, that's exactly what some people do.
Yeah, people do this all the time.
Also (on the less malicious side) college and house parties where I am from are notorious for serving some form of Jungle Juice which is pretty much whatever hard liquor walks in the door cut with whatever fruity juice, soda, whatever is on hand. There is no way of knowing how much booze you'll be putting in when you drink that stuff, and it is usually pounded back because those parties tend to get hot as hell. Drinking it implies some level of reckless disregard for personal safety but not a license to get assaulted of course.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
What kind of health condition does someone have that doesn't allow them to have salt but does allow them to get a jumbo sized fries?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Mr. Beefhead posted:

It's a parody "tip" from a humor magazine. For gently caress's sake.

No it's not. It's from a trashy British women's magazine.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

raven4267 posted:

Back when I worked in food service we would just drop the fries back in the fryer and shake them around for a couple of seconds to get the salt off them.

That doesn't really work, the fries are cooked in so much grease that salt clings to them. They wouldn't let us do that for health reasons, which I totally get.

I wish we'd been allowed to do it your way or that it worked, though. gently caress cooking fries.

Galsia
Oct 20, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

What kind of health condition does someone have that doesn't allow them to have salt but does allow them to get a jumbo sized fries?

Ménière's disease?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bip Roberts posted:

Chronic cognitive dissonance?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

davidspackage posted:

Chronic cognitive dissonance?

Also known as "Diet Coke syndrome".

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

These are being used wrong. They are basically alternating ship's stairs. They're a death trap, don't get me wrong, because they seem to be using half the staircase as decorative shelving so there's nowhere to step. You're supposed to alternate sides.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Also obvious question I guess but wheres the loving handrail?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Tracula posted:

Also obvious question I guess but wheres the loving handrail?

Handrail? :cawg:

I also love the little bar behind the step right where the guy's foot is, so you can easily catch your toes on it and trip, and probably tear the entire fixture down too :v:

Kite Pride Worldwide has a new favorite as of 23:05 on Jul 12, 2014

Keeblamos
Jan 28, 2007
Don't have time to eat breakfast AND lunch? Just pour cereal in your soup for a double meal life hack.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
Viz Magazine has always had a great selection of 'Top Tips', which are parodies of the tips you see in those women's magazines.

You can get some on their website http://viz.co.uk/toptips.php but they aren't as good as the ones in the actual magazine.

Here's a better selection:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/viz-is-30-our-50-all-time-best-427354

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
You guys seem to know a lot about date rape.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Bonster posted:

These are being used wrong. They are basically alternating ship's stairs.
It would be so embarrassing to fall down those stairs.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Bonster posted:

These are being used wrong. They are basically alternating ship's stairs. They're a death trap, don't get me wrong, because they seem to be using half the staircase as decorative shelving so there's nowhere to step. You're supposed to alternate sides.

Ooohhhh, now that makes some sense.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Keeblamos posted:

Don't have time to eat breakfast AND lunch? Just pour cereal in your soup for a double meal life hack.

Depending on both soup and cereal this might be interesting. Or you could just use crackers like a normal person.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ha, look at you scrubs. Soup and cereal's just a pale imitation of the true method.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

OilSlick posted:

I ask for unsalted fries exclusively and unrepentantly. When I'm ordering french fries, I'd prefer to receive french fries with some salt, instead of the standard Pile Of Salt with some french fries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickle dicker
May 25, 2014

by XyloJW

razorrozar posted:

Also known as "Diet Coke syndrome".

I'm pretty sure fatties like diet soda, because the artificial sweeteners linger on in your mouth making whatever food you eat taste sweet :pseudo: