Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
do you like old school rap
lol that poo poo is so corny
like are they joking or something
i love old school rap
hmm...not sure op
View Results

• Locked thread
LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

that's fine that doesn't mean NWA and biggie smalls suck now

i guess you are all 19 years old and consider that to be actual old school?

although actually, some of nwa's rhymes were kind of silly tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drad_Bert
Jun 26, 2013

by Smythe

Jeffrey posted:

Where did the sir mix-a-lot posts come from, did I miss a thread?

ps if you didn't notice this is now an old school rap thread - this is 1990 but whatever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71ubKHzujy8

Its the big thing in GBS right now. You should get in on it

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

biggie smalls always sucked and you only even know who he is because his entire career was one big sean combs marketing push punctuated by an untimely and tragic murder mystery. dude rapped for years and never went anywhere or had any fans until sean combs gave him a marketable image

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

JebanyPedal posted:

Rakim and Kool G Rap kinda prove OP is a retard.
Chuck D, Kane, KRS, LL, poo poo even Serch

and the fact he said even early 90s sucked is just fuckin absurd. Illmatic/36 Chambers/Doggystyle. can't gently caress with it

ashgromnies posted:

Eric b and rakim, black sheep, beastie boys don't mean anything to you?

Beastie Boys weren't rap, they were rock music with sing-talking. like Beck. that's why they get played on alternative/classic rock stations and no other rappers do.

e: fuckin can't believe I forgot about Too $hort and 40 Water

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

No dude Raising Hell is bad because people like what they heard while they were sucking on mama's titty.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
Yeah a lot of early poo poo was corny, but I don't know, a lot of it is good and I don't mind listening to it even if it is corny.

I hope you aren't including west coast g rap/g funk, because its loving great and funny and perfect for chilling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAkT7bgKKwU
(GTA SA soundtrack loving owned)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hIjgofcuWU

Its def too late but because gently caress it, bone thugs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSHTFiiYLHA

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LifeSizePotato posted:

:colbert:

Funnypost Collabo posted:

biggie smalls always sucked and you only even know who he is because his entire career was one big sean combs marketing push punctuated by an untimely and tragic murder mystery. dude rapped for years and never went anywhere or had any fans until sean combs gave him a marketable image

nah I'm pretty sure 2Pac's manufactured east v west coast thing gave biggie some recognition before that, and he had hits before that anyway

and he doesn't suck

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

indigi posted:

Chuck D, Kane, KRS, LL, poo poo even Serch

and the fact he said even early 90s sucked is just fuckin absurd. Illmatic/36 Chambers/Doggystyle. can't gently caress with it

Beastie Boys weren't rap, they were rock music with sing-talking. like Beck. that's why they get played on alternative/classic rock stations and no other rappers do.

e: fuckin can't believe I forgot about Too $hort and 40 Water

this is all truth postin

EllisD
Mar 14, 2004

WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT!?

LifeSizePotato posted:

Old school doesn't have to mean pioneers. N.W.A. formed in 1986 dude, that's kinda loving early lol. Are we talking about hip-hop or rap here, because I thought rap started around '79?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

nah I'm pretty sure 2Pac's manufactured east v west coast thing gave biggie some recognition before that

that happened three years after puffy picked him up and made him a celebrity

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I have a PHD in rap history you can't pull this poo poo on me

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

EllisD posted:

Old school doesn't have to mean pioneers. N.W.A. formed in 1986 dude, that's kinda loving early lol. Are we talking about hip-hop or rap here, because I thought rap started around '79?

yeah, and honestly nwa were decent for their time but their rhymes can be kind of silly and i'd put any modern day rapper up against them and the new school would win on lyrics

like, come up with a topic, ask eazy e and eminem to write a few verses on it. whose will be better?

i assumed the op was talking about late 70s-mid 80s

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Too $hort

LifeSizePotato posted:

yeah, and honestly nwa were decent for their time but their rhymes can be kind of silly and i'd put any modern day rapper up against them and the new school would win on lyrics

he said 80s and early 90s in the OP

their rhymes are silly and parodic but that's kind of what makes them good imo. but yeah obviously modern day people are better I just don't know why that means all old poo poo sucks now.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
proto rap owned tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtBy_ppG4hY

but as soon as they got goddamn 808s and started talking about dumb poo poo :negative:

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2wJS3zRx1I

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

he said 80s and early 90s in the OP

my bad then

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012
yes a lot of the 80s rap does sound alike but thats like criticizing early silent movies for all looking the same

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Biggie's flow is still incredibly sick and unimpeachable

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

LifeSizePotato posted:

like, come up with a topic, ask eazy e and eminem to write a few verses on it. whose will be better?

There's no winning. NWA isn't diminished by the fact that the art has evolved since they came out. In fact it is almost 100% certain to say that the new guys were influenced by the old school. What's your point? It seems like you didn't even read the thread and just made a blanket statement about old = corny which is dumb.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

LifeSizePotato posted:

It doesn't even have anything to do with the artists it's just that hip hop has evolved so much as a medium of expression over the years that every year artists are doing things no one had even considered before and developing an artform that's still in its infancy. Look at e.g. WSC which was cube's evolution of NWA and it was far better because time had passed and more was understood about how to write a good rap song. It never really took off though because it came out in a timeperiod where gangsta rap was dead

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 10, 2014

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
Also I mean, corny and totally lacking the slick modern flowing style or not, you have to admit this is pretty dope and has some parts that feel super groundbreaking and poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYMkEMCHtJ4

(also a little trivia, the song in the op is grandmaster melle mel not flash but the name was used to help marketing)

ShaunO
Jan 29, 2006

old school to new school

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hN1SKVx31s

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

It doesn't even have anything to do with the artists it's just that hip hop has evolved so much as a medium of expression over the years that every year artists are doing things no one had even considered before and developing an artform that's still in its infancy. Look at e.g. WSC which was cube's evolution of NWA and it was far better because time had passed and more was understood about how to write a good rap song.

See also Da Lench Mob and Ice Cube's solo work.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

The Sphinxster posted:

There's no winning. NWA isn't diminished by the fact that the art has evolved since they came out. In fact it is almost 100% certain to say that the new guys were influenced by the old school. What's your point? It seems like you didn't even read the thread and just made a blanket statement about old = corny which is dumb.

you'll rarely ever hear an NWA track in a club but Doggystyle and stuff from The Chronic will still get spins. like NWA was good but not transcendent. I think that's what he was saying

EllisD
Mar 14, 2004

WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT!?

dude rapped for years and never went anywhere or had any fans until sean combs gave him a marketable image

That's not true, he went to jail.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Pretty much all artists are unknown until someone signs them and gives them a marketing push. It's pretty much how the music industry works. He was making a name for himself and was featured in The Source magazine before Puffy signed him, which gives him cred right there (I used to read The Source back then, I'm :corsair:). "Big Poppa" was platinum three years before he died, so it's not like his death is what made him famous.

And 2Pac was a dancer for Digital Underground before being the "Thug Life" gangster that he wasn't. At least Biggie was a real criminal and wasn't putting on a front.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

indigi posted:

you'll rarely ever hear an NWA track in a club but Doggystyle and stuff from The Chronic will still get spins. like NWA was good but not transcendent. I think that's what he was saying

Those tracks don't get spins because of the rapping tho. I mean it's great rapping, but Dre made that poo poo fun to dance to.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

The Sphinxster posted:

you really don't think there's a noticeable improvement in the quality of lyrics and production from a "good" rap song in 1984 vs one today? good to see you still stick to your milquetoast "truth is in the middle" routine

It doesn't even have anything to do with the artists it's just that hip hop has evolved so much as a medium of expression over the years that every year artists are doing things no one had even considered before and developing an artform that's still in its infancy. Look at e.g. WSC which was cube's evolution of NWA and it was far better because time had passed and more was understood about how to write a good rap song. It never really took off though because it came out in a timeperiod where gangsta rap was dead

that's true. i just think the state of the art today allows for much better (yes, sphinxter, all art is good art, you can't judge anything, etc) and more creative expression

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 10, 2014

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

all the rappers get huge pushes from studios. the only rapper to get big off hand to hands was Too $hort. nobody else ever went multi platinum while still considered underground. it's insane when you hear his history

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

The Sphinxster posted:

Those tracks don't get spins because of the rapping tho. I mean it's great rapping, but Dre made that poo poo fun to dance to.

"The Chronic," and I love that album, always made me laugh since it is completely centered around Dre's love for weed, while when he was in NWA and rapped on "Express Yourself," he was adamant about how bad weed was for you and that he would never do it since "it's known to give a brother brain damage, and brain damage on the mic don't manage."

LifeSizePotato posted:

you really don't think there's a noticeable improvement in the quality of lyrics and production from a "good" rap song in 1984 vs one today? good to see you still stick to your milquetoast "truth is in the middle" routine

that's true. i just think the state of the art today allows for much better (yes, sphinxter, all art is good art, you can't judge anything, etc) and more creative expression

It's subjective, though. Of course things improve as time goes on. Compare athletes from years ago to the ones today. Look at the times that sprinters in the Olympics put up thirty years ago compared to today's athletes like Usain Bolt. People thought Babe Ruth's HR record was unbreakable. Then came Hank Aaron, then Barry Bonds, and then someone else will break that. All things, including forms of music, evolve. When I was growing up, Old School was the type of rap that was out there, and I loved it and still do. When Eminem came out and was blasting lyrics out like no one before him did, I didn't throw out my old stuff because they couldn't rhyme like him.

Compare Tech N9ne's skill to Chuck D's, and N9ne blows him out of the water. But damned if PE wasn't and still is great poo poo.

Count Freebasie fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 10, 2014

EllisD
Mar 14, 2004

WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT!?
I'll contest a number of songs from Eazy-Duz-It gets heavy play in my favorite gay bar. :2bong:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

EllisD posted:

That's not true, he went to jail.

lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

EllisD posted:

I'll contest a number of songs from Eazy-Duz-It gets heavy play in my favorite gay bar. :2bong:
poz

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I really like to talk poo poo about oldschool rap but there was definitely good rap back in the day, it's the Classic Rock effect where everyone only remembers the top 1% and not the ocean of poo poo that surrounded it. Even still, rap these days is way better.

Here's my favorite pre-2000 rap song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiOcVWQY2bc

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I really like to talk poo poo about oldschool rap but there was definitely good rap back in the day, it's the Classic Rock effect where everyone only remembers the top 1% and not the ocean of poo poo that surrounded it. Even still, rap these days is way better.

Here's my favorite pre-2000 rap song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiOcVWQY2bc

you're fuckin literally retarded

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

and of course let's not kid ourselves, there is some horrendously terrible rap music out there today that's worse than the corniest of early 80s cornball hip hop

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

^^ yesss

LifeSizePotato posted:

Yes I'm milquetoast because I acknowledge that the context in which art was created is important.

I like stuff from today, I like stuff from back then. I would have to be an idiot to say production quality has not improved, so I'm glad I didn't say that. I don't recall saying the truth is in the middle either. Weird. Anyway, old is not the same thing as corny. That's my whole point. Are you so wrapped up in technique that you can't admit a song form 1984 can be good? Where does winning come in to it? poo poo is either worth a listen or it isn't.

There's lovely music today. There was lovely music then. Neither era wins.

Rod Munch
Jul 17, 2001

Gangsta gogo rap with the MC dancing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40E_LP0AAl4

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

LifeSizePotato posted:

and of course let's not kid ourselves, there is some horrendously terrible rap music out there today that's worse than the corniest of early 80s cornball hip hop

Drake

The Sphinxster posted:

Anyway, old is not the same thing as corny.
it is in enough cases that anything old that isn't corny is within the margin of error

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Count Freebasie posted:

"The Chronic," and I love that album, always made me laugh since it is completely centered around Dre's love for weed, while when he was in NWA and rapped on "Express Yourself," he was adamant about how bad weed was for you and that he would never do it since "it's known to give a brother brain damage, and brain damage on the mic don't manage."

That always made me crack up as well.

some say no to drugs and take a stand
after the show they go looking for the dope man

• Locked thread