Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I take 2 damage, gain greatness and since I'm under a save ends effect with greatness, I can use indomitable.

Saving Throw against Ongoing: 1d20 9

Oh well. It's still one less damage in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Crassius Callei

Considering his primary target just got zapped dead with a lightning bolt, he opts to use the bard's musical benefits to assist the Khajiit, who seems to be in a tight spot. Unfortunately, his slash goes wide. Evidently the Oaken Pole Form was not made for quick adaptation to a new target.

Attack roll!: 1d20+4+1+2+2 14
A whiff for one, again. Sorry Tombak.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
One of the elves attacking K'zan diverts his attention from the Khajiit to attack the self-styled Kinetomancer. He misses completely, hitting nothing but the air of the bar.

Attacking Crassius: 1d20+5 9

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
Tombak

"Ah well, next time," Tombak replies, shifting his attention from Crassius back to the rogue with whom he's sparring. The spear snakes forward, aiming to gut the thug and spill his insides all over his outsides. At the last moment, however, Tombak sees ice crystals growing on Severia's shoulder, and takes a second to ponder whether or not that's on purpose. Deciding that it probably isn't (Severia doesn't seem to be particularly magical, after all), he slightly alters the trajectory of his spear. It glances across the thug's leg with a small spray of blood rather than killing him outright.

Attacking the rogue (+STR +LVL +ESCALATION): 1d20+5+2 17
Spear damage: 1d8+3 6

With its new path, the spear's follow-through slices a gash in the bag of soggy fire salts. With a flick of his wrist, he launches a spearhead full of the clammy crystals towards Severia's shivering shoulder. "Special delivery!"

Shock to the System (We Need You!)
Effect: A nearby conscious ally (Severia) can roll a save against a save ends effect.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Zairan Hainnabibi
19/27 HP

Yet another whack to the ribs. Zairan grimaces and prepares to fire again. That cheap shein he foolishly downed is having more of an effect on Zairan's aim that he thought it would, and his next shot goes wild. In fact, it misses by so much that the handsome thug starts to laugh, giving Zairan the time to prepare another arrow. Zairan briefly considers the fact that his archery skills aren't doing him much good in these close quarters, but he can't seem to get away from this thug to shoot someone further away. Zairan exhales, aims, and lets the arrow fly. This time his aim is true and the thug's laughter is cut short when an arrow sprouts from his gut.

ranged attack on this thug: 1d20+5+2 9 1 miss damage and I can roll another attack because the roll was even.
disengage check: 1d20 5
another ranged attack on this thug: 1d20+5+2 22 1d6+4 10 10 more damage on this guy.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Severia
34/36

As the fire salts land on her shoulder and weaken the ice, Severia flexes her arm and the ice shatters. "Thanks for the assist!"

Saving Throw against Ongoing: 1d20 20

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Turn order is as follows
>Digs-A-Hole: 22
Thug #1: 22
Thug #2: 20
Severia: 19
K'Zan Redpaw: 19
Thug Rogue: 19
Crassius Callei: 19
Thug #3: 17
Thug Leader: 10
Tombak: 8
Zairan: 6
Thug Mage: 3

pre:
22 Thug: AC 17, PD 14, MD 12, HP 27 - 11 - 1 - 5
20 Thug: AC 17, PD 14, MD 12, HP 27 - 6 - 1 - 5 - 1 - 10
19 Thug Rogue: AC 17, PD 15, MD 11, HP 27 - 1 - 10 - 1 - 1 - 6
17 Thug: AC 17, PD 14, MD 12, HP 27 - 1
10 Thug Leader: AC 20, PD 14, MD 12, HP 27 - 1 - 1 - 15 - 10
[s]3  Thug Mage: AC 17, PD 11, MD 15, HP 19
Escalation Dice is +3.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 20, 2014

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Digs-A-Hole

Seeing his new Khajiit friend take a blow meant for him gave Digs the idea to get into the thick of things. Seeing Tombak make use of those fire salts gave him another idea...

Burning Hands against Thugs 1 & 2: 1d20+2+3=17.

Digs runs forward and slaps his hands on two of the thugs' faces, channeling fire into his palms as he does so.

Damage: 1d6+3=7.

Pulling his hands away, Digs-A-Hole notes that the burning scar might have cauterized this one's eye wound shut, but isn't sure if it would be rude to mention it.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Dunmer may be naturally resistant to heat, but the Argonian's spell burns too hot for these Camonna Tong scum. The ugly thug begins to weep from the shock off having his eye burned out. The other one has his handsome features permanently disfigured by third degree burns He seems less than pleased by this development.

The now cyclopean elf attempts to take revenge on the Argonian, and fails completely; his vision is completely obfuscated, it seems.

Attacking Digs: 1d20+5 11

Meanwhile, the formerly beautiful thug tries to attack Zairan. It goes poorly, and as he tries to curse Zairan, blood comes out of his mouth.

Attacking Zairan: 1d20+5 6

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 22, 2014

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Severia
34/36

Seemingly changing her mind on a whim, Severia moves away from the rogue, giving him an opening to engage with the healthiest Thug and kicks him in the chest hard.

Eating the OA so I don't have to bother with disengaging.
Giant Strike vs. AC: 1d20+5+1+3 27
Giant Strike damage: 1d10+5+4 18

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

K'zan Redpaw

'Ah, bless the Argonians, they do make for such wonderful distractions', he thought, and while the one-eyed elf was distracted, it was the perfect opportunity for the Khajiit to go for the soft spots.

Sneak Attack: 1d20+7 12

...only to swing wide once more. Apparently the gods only favored every other strike. Such is the fickleness of fate.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
The rogue tosses a dagger at Severia as a parting gift. It misses, thankfully, and strikes a bottle of shein on a shelf.

Opportunity Attack on Severia: 1d20+6 15

He then returns his attention to Tombak. With a flick of his wrist, he removes yet another knife from his sleeve and stabs at the orc, piercing the bard's gut. The wound begins to smolder with a green and sulfurous smoke that singes the nostrils of whoever smells it.

Attacking Tombak: 1d20+6 25 3 damage and 3 ongoing damage.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Crassius Callei

Given that his friend failed to capitalize on the new positioning advantage, Crassius opts to do so himself. Finding his opening, he charges forward and delivers a powerful lariat, taking the thug down to the ground.

"One more down!"

He takes up a position adjacent to Kazan, opting to give the Khajiit another opportunity to get some shanking done with a flanking partner.

Attacking Thug 2: 1d20+4+3+1 21
Damage roll for thug 2: 1d8+4+1 13

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
As two more of the gangsters fall, the remaining two begin to reconsider their odds and find that luck is not on their side. They lower their weapons, and the rogue begins to speak, his face tense and pale. "A-alright, you win. We'll leave. Let me get Bradys over there and we'll go away and never trouble you again."

The other seems about ready to protest, but falls silent. He glares at the Argonian with his one remaining eye, waiting to see what he and the rest of the group's next move will be.

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
Tombak

Tombak begins sneezing as the sulfurous smoke bleeds from his wound, slowly eating away at his flesh. "Agh! I'm melting!" he complains, trying to brush at the green gunk. The orc turns, then, getting ready to try and finish off the Rogue, when the thugs put down their arms. He sighs.

"Well if I don't have to kill you I guess I don't really want to..." he grumbles. "But you sure did a number on this bar. I think you'd best compensate the publican for all that damage before you disappear."

Convincing the thugs to pay for damage (Cha + Charming Scoundrel): 1d20+5+4 28

HP: 21/27

Whycalibur fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 23, 2014

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Zairan Hainnabibi

Zairan lowers his bow but doesn't put it away. "And how do we know you aren't going to go running to your Hlaalu friends and bring reinforcements?" Zairan turns to his allies, "I say we tie them up, do what we came here to do, and let the bartender release them after we're long gone."

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
The man with the burnt eye begins to protest at Tombak's suggestion. "You loving greenskin! We barely have any money! That's why we took this job in the first pla-"

The rogue's frown deepens considerably. He hisses, "Shut. Up. Bradys. Unless you want them to finish you off," to his comrade. He then fishes a small pouch out of his jerkin and then places it on the counter.

"That will be enough to repair the furniture, at least. I knew we should've never went here. The whole thing smelled rotten to begin with. Who pays 2000 septims to steal someone's journal? But Valin had to take the job."

He looks at Zairan and laughs bitterly. "Hlaalu friends? Hah, you jest. We had to bribe the patrolman to look the other way while we ransacked the place. We have no friends in high places. The only way we get by is by doing dirty work for the Camonna Tong. And look what it brought us. I grew up with these people, and now look at them. Do what you will with us. I don't care anymore."

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Digs-A-Hole

"If I have the choice between extending hands in friendship or extending hands in horrifying flaming death, I would gladly choose friendship." Digs looks at the scowling thug. "You know, you should check in with the local Mage's Guild. I'm sure they have a spell or salve that would help you with that uh...that. Oh! Speaking of salve..."

Digs rushes over to the rogue. "Can I see your poisons they were really interesting was it just the one mixture or did you have several oh of course it would have to be several unless it's not that would be really interesting can you show me please I'm curious..."

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
The elf stares at Digs for a moment, measuring him up. Finally he speaks. "I've got a bottle of the acid I hit you with. Dunno what's in it; Toval made it before that Imperial woman killed him. Take it." He hands off a vial filled with a reddish-black gunk to the sorcerer.

He then props up his friend and begins to make for the exit. The publican finally rises from out of her hiding spot and rises up. She wipes the sweat off her brow. "Almalexia's Grace, what has the world come to these days? These thugs are terrorizing honest folk, and the guards just sit back and watch." She snatches up the coin purse the rogue left and throws it in a small lockbox under the bar. "This'll barely cover the cost of getting new tables. All that liquor they smashed up is gone. It'll take me weeks to clean the glass up..."

She continues her rant for another minute, listing off every slight she has endured in the last month. Finally, she settles down and remembers that you all exist. "So, what's this about a journal? Do you know anything about it? What could a simple priest have that was so important that someone would send these brutes to get it?"

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
Tombak

Tombak puts on a sympathetic face, listening attentively to the publican and making the right noises at the right times. "Well I'm right sorry we couldn't help more with that," he concludes.

"The Mages Guild wants us to find the answer to that very question, and the priest himself asked for our help," Tombak goes on, briefly displaying the note from the priest again. "It's a good thing those goons didn't get into the room before we could properly investigate. You wouldn't happen to have the key, would you? We wouldn't want the priest's dying wish to go unanswered."

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
The publican nods and removes a keyring from her dress. "I've got the spare key right here. I'll come down and unlock the door for you. Whatever it is they wanted, I want it out of my hair."

She then walks over to the tavern rooms and unlocks the late priest's door. She gasps in surprise when she opens it; a brown moth about the size of a hand flutters out of the room and lands on the wall nearby. As you look into the room, you can see three more of these moths fluttering about the cramped quarters above a lamp whose light is about to go out. There is a chest in front of the bed, as well as a small bit of uneaten ash yam on a table. There is also a half-full potion of some sort on the nightstand.

The publican backs out of the area, feeling claustrophobic and perhaps a bit uncomfortable around the moths. As she leaves, she says, "Don't make too much of a mess. Vivec knows I have enough to deal with in the bar."

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Digs-A-HoleGrave

"You know, I'm pretty sure you're supposed to finish these potions in one sitting," Digs said, sniffing at the open mouth of the bottle and wondering if it's safe to drink. "Come to think of it, I should probably see what this poison does exactly too. Or I could just ask one of the guys at the Guildhall if I need to. Oh! Better idea! If I sip the poison, then I'll know what effect it has, and then if a sip of the potion cures what the poison does, then that'll be two mysteries solved. Genius, right Ingot? Oh don't give me that look. I've handled my poison before; five minutes ago even. Oh fine, I'll think of something."

Int. check to identify potion: 1d20+4+4=25.
Int. check to identify poison: 1d20+4+4=17.

"Maybe something about the dregs or the color maybe?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
The potion is quite interesting. It seems tailor made for treating a specific illness: hemophilia. That explains why the monk's wounds would not clot; he did not have access to his medicine while in the pen. You find the maker's mark on the bottom of the bottle. A small triangle with the Daedric symbols for A, S, and V. This came from the Temple.

The poison is much more mundane. You take a whiff and immediately identify one of the ingredients: Dwemer oil. Further testing of the poison reveals the other ingredients: fire petals and scathecraw. This solution, when applied to organic matter, burns through it very quickly. You think there's about three doses left.

The poison does 3 ongoing damage to most living beings on a successful strike when applied to a weapon.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Zairan Hainnabibi

While the others examine the monk's chest and the potion, Zairan is more interested in the fluttering moths. Rifling through others' belongings and drinking strange potions isn't exactly his area of expertise. But if there's one thing Zairan knows, it's Vvardenfell flora and fauna. In his many years spent travelling all over the island, Zairan has encountered just about every native creature there is. If this monk got these moths from anywhere in Vvardenfell, Zairan should know where, and this information might help the group figure out what the monk is doing in Vvardenfell in the first place.

Identify the moths: 1d20+4+4 27 Examining random moths for clues, hell yeah.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Severia

Severia looks annoyed at the moths and gives them a wide berth as she approaches the chest to open it.

"May as well get this prophecy poo poo done. It'll keep bugging the poo poo out of you if you don't."

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Zairan

These moths are not native to Morrowind at all. They're Ancestor Moths, a rare breed of insect normally found in the parts of Tamriel inhabited by mankind. These had to have been brought along by the Moth Priest from the mainland. There's obviously a religious connection, but you wouldn't know exactly what it is; your unfamiliarity with Cyrodiilic religions is not exactly helping you out in this situation.

Severia

You open the chest, and find a few more silken robes. These ones are much cleaner then the ones the priest was wearing, and you can see what appears to be a genealogy of some sort inscribed on the front of them. More crazy prophecy poo poo, you guess. You root through it and find a small cube inscribed with dwarven lettering. You guess this is the puzzle cube. But where the hell is the journal?

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 24, 2014

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Digs-A-Hole

"Anyone want free poison? Preferably someone who actually uses a weapon; it's quite strong against flesh, you know."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Crassius Callei

Crassius opts to check the only places unchecked: the nightstand and the bed. You never know where someone could've hidden something

"Now if I was trying to hide a book, where would I put it...first thing that comes to mind is 'between the headboard and the mattress.'"

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
You find nothing but five septims and dust in your search of the nightstand. You check under the sheets and the bed, and turn up nothing but lint and straw. Another dead end.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Zairan Hainnabibi

Zairan takes the offered poison from Digs-A-Hole and puts it in his pack. "I'll take it...judging by what I saw earlier it seems quite potent." Zairan then examines the monk's potion. "And as for this? A S V? Why would a Breton be going to the Tribunal temple for his potions? You'd think his type would go to the Mages Guild or some other Imperial organization," he says, sneering at the word. "Maybe someone at the Tribunal knows something about all this."

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
Tombak

Searching and being a clever investigator isn't really Tombak's thing; he's a people person. As the group grows more and more frustrated in the search for the journal, he decides to try a more public-facing approach to the search. The orc returns to the publican.

"Excuse me ma'am, sorry to bother you again... but has anyone else been in the priest's room, or did you notice him meeting with someone out here?"

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

K'zan Redpaw

"Well, why not go to the Tribunal? Not every outlander pays lip service to the Imperial Cult; as a matter of fact, this finds the sermons of the Temple rather soothing to one's soul." he adds, quietly licking his wounds (metaphorically) now that the fighting had died down.

"Have you checked for hidden compartments?" he asked Crassius, watching their Imperial companion search the room. "A loose floorboard or two can conceal much more than any nightstand or bedroll, after all."

Sorry to be absent (again) from the thread, big storm rolled through and killed power for a few days. K'zan will help Crassius search, with an eye for any hidden nooks or crevices in the walls, if my Thief background might be of any additional assistance.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Digs-A-Hole

"Dwemer puzzle box? Gimmegimmegimmegimmegimmegimmegimmegimmegimmegimmegimme"

Int. check to closely examine puzzle box: 1d20+4+4=14

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Tombak

The publican raises her eyebrows. "No, serjo, I haven't seen anyone but him go into this room. I did see him leave to go towards the Temple a few times, but otherwise he mostly stayed in his room."

K'zan

You search the room much more thoroughly than the clumsy humans and elves you're working with. You check the table and you find a small key of Dwarven make under the plate of ash yams. You wonder if it has something to do with the puzzle box Severia found.

Digs

Your inspection of the puzzle cube doesn't reveal much beyond the obvious. It has six letters engraved on a small display on one of the sides, and a small gear on either side of each letter. You think you can change the letters if you move the gears.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 24, 2014

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

K'zan Redpaw

"Aha! Not quite a book, but maybe useful all the same." he said, tossing a little key from paw to paw.

"Here, my scaly scholarly friend, catch." he added, giving the key a little flick towards Digs.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Digs-A-Hole

"Oh! More Dwemer artifacts? Wonderful! Does this go with the cube? Maybe. More likely, it's for whatever ruin the cube came from or needs to be brought to. Regardless, I think I know what that note is for now."

Inspecting key/using with puzzle cube: 1d20+4+4=11.
Comparing note with puzzle cube: 1d20+4+4=20.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
You don't have a clue what the key does for this thing, at least for now, but you at the very least think you know what to do with the cube: the arrows signify one turn of the gear on the right or left. By following the directions on the paper, you'll reach the correct letter combination for the puzzle box: BEHARN. And you do so, feeling the gears click beneath your scaled fingers, gradually spelling out the pass phrase. As you dial the last letter in the word, you hear a loud clacking sound come from the inside of the cube. An aperture on the top of the box opens and reveals a key hole. So that's what that key was for. Seems like the Dwemer who used to own this device wanted to double down on the security of whatever was inside this thing.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 24, 2014

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Digs-A-Hole

"Oh! I got it. Wait. Who's Beharn?"

Int. Check to identify Beharn: 1d20+4+4=18.

"Ring any bells, Ingot? How about you guys? Well it'll come to me. Unless it doesn't. Now let's see if this key works."

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
"Beharn" roughly approximates to "witch" in modern Tamrielic. At least, you think it does. Hard telling with the Dwarves. You slide the key in and turn it until you hear another click. The device sits still for a moment, and you wonder if you even did anything. The key then suddenly ejects itself, clattering onto the floor. The puzzle cube starts emitting a sound that is not unlike the chiming of a large brass bell. It begins to reconfigure, expanding itself outwards like a blooming flower. The previously tiny cube becomes big enough that you are almost unable to hold it comfortably. You set it down on the table and let it finish its work. Eventually, it stops growing, and the humming ceases.

What was once a box that could be easily covered by closing your hand is now the size of a small chest. A hatch splits open the top of the box, revealing the contents inside. A small leatherbound journal, and yet another Dwemer cube. This cube is covered in softly glowing blue runes in a language none of you have ever encountered before. The moths, previously content with fluttering around the lantern, suddenly flock to the cube. You can swear that you hear a faint humming coming from the moths as they circle this new cube.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Zairan Hainnabibi

Zairan watches, caught off guard, as the tiny cube expands and changes form. When the journal and second cube are revealed inside, he's left nearly speechless. "How did...that journal, there's no way...from such a tiny cube!" Eyebrows furrowed, Zairan examines the chest. "You know, I've seen ancient structures that look like this around the island, but I never imagined they would hold such wonders."

Zairan reluctantly puts his hand into the box, moving slowly and deliberately, worried that the thing will suddenly snap back into cube form with his hand still inside, and carefully removes the journal. "So, this must be what we came here for...let's have ourselves a read, shall we?"

• Locked thread