Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
"Bar fights? How crude. Hardly risking your life to deal with a few ruffians, now is it? You should be thankful for what you've got. If all goes well in my research, I may even give you some credit. I'm currently rediscovering the secrets of Dwemer Animunculi. I guarantee that within a decade I will have created a fully functioning Centurion." The wizard puffs her chest out, a self-satisfied grin upon her face. No doubt she is already imagining the promotions and glory that would come with such an accomplishment.

She then begins tinkering with the Dwemer box, casting a few detection spells on it as she works. Eventually her eyes widen in a look of extreme surprise. "Interesting! From what I gather, this thing somehow shunts whatever is inside of it into a small pocket realm of Oblivion once you reset the puzzle lock, and then retrieves it once the lock is undone. I don't know how, of course; it's hard telling with the Dwemer. You can really only find the cause and effects with their tools, and that's if you're lucky. This must have belonged to one of the more influential Dwemer. After all, it's difficult to maintain a portal to the realms Daedric, and with difficulty comes expense. Who knows, this device may even have been created by one of the Tonal Architects! How exciting! Where did this priest find this, anyway?"

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Digs-A-Grave

"Well then, I'll leave it to my compatriots to help you get your priorities straight, because while you've been sitting here, things have escalated far beyond your little errand. And sod you if you can't see that. Come on, Crassius, the lady we're looking for is upstairs. And presumably much more supportive than YOU'RE being, MA'AM."

Digs turns and walks a few paces away, before turning around once more.

"And I will have you know that no amount of accolades and advancements in the Guild will change the fact that I have accomplished more in the field of Dwemer Studies in my years as an illiterate slave than you will in your ENTIRE CAREER!"

Digs proceeds upstairs.

"AND FOR TALOS' SAKES BE CAREFUL WITH THAT THING!"

"Ican'tbelieveIdidthatIcan'tbelieveIdidthatOsweetNinewhathaveIdonethatwasn'tasfunasI'dhoped-"

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
Tombak
"Oh, who knows," Tombak replies to Edwinna's question. "Pawn shop? Ancient ruin? Dinner party? Does it matter?" He waves his hand dismissively. "Good luck with your research, I suppose." When Digs storms off, the orc grins. "I don't think Digs likes you very much," he says sadly. The orc heaves a dramatic sigh. "I'm not sure I do either, but what can you do. A payday is a payday. Ta!"

Tombak tosses a wave over his shoulder as he heads up the stairs. Maybe the scene upstairs will be more interesting than the stuffy, stuck-up wizard down here.

"At the least, Zairan, we can probably get some silver coating on our existing gear. If we can't find anything of decent enough quality in our... restrained price range."

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Edwinna rolls her eyes as Digs goes on his rant. "Unwarranted self-importance is the folly of many a mage. Or at least ones as... talented as Digs. I'll be taking my leave of this place. Tell him that if he doesn't find some fire salts for me I'll have his guild membership. Now, is our business concluded? I'd like to be getting back to Ald'ruhn soon."

Upstairs, the elf Galbedir is appraising and sorting soul gems. The most eye-catching of the gems is a large golden one about the size of a fist. It shines every so often with a dull brown light. "Like what you see? That's a Winged Twilight trapped inside. Very valuable. I had to go through all sorts of loopholes to obtain it. I am Galbedir, head enchanter of the Balmora Mages Guild. What can I do for you two?"

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Crassius Callei

"You...seem to have some problems, friend. Maybe we should talk about them over a pint later."

Crassius, not being great at directions, follows the other two in and finds his destination with the Enchanter.

"Heyyyyy, there you are! I don't suppose you remember me? Cracked one of the test mudcrabs clean open during one of my demonstrations? Anyway, we were wondering if you were interested in helping us do some research."

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Galbedir's eyes light up when Crassius begins to speak. "Oh, I remember you! The contact magic guy! Ajira says your magic is "stupid ape nonsense", but Ajira is an uneducated amateur and, just between you and me, I think she does skooma. I personally find it very practical how you focus your magicka through your limbs instead of into your surroundings. It must be far less taxing on your body, no?"

She puts aside her soul gems and gives Crassius a look up and down his body, nodding approvingly of the Kinetomancer's physique. "Tell you what, you teach me how you perform some of your moves and I'll help you with your experiment, whatever it may be. I've got a report to fill out to Ranis about casting techniques and that skooma cat Ajira thinks she'll humiliate me with her theory on how binding temporary spells to equipment will go out of favor within a few years and that permanent enchantments will somehow overtake everything. Balderdash from an idiot alchemist who doesn't know the first thing about enchantments. But if you show me your moves, I think I'll be able to write a paper that will make that rotten cat look like the fool that she is."

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 8, 2014

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Zairan Hainnabibi

Lacking any knowledge of Kinetomancy or magical experimentation, Zairan excuses himself from the Mages Guild to check out prices of silver arrows at the Fighters Guild next door. Usually he prefers to make his own, but when fighting ghosts, his homemade arrows probably aren't going to be enough.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Severia

Severia, never much a fan of wizards, heads out with Zairan to see how hard it'd be to get a pair of silver gauntlets.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Digs-A-Hole

"What exactly do you mean by 'moves'? You couldn't possibly mean splitting another mudcrab; those have been forbidden in Guild halls ever since-"

Digs slaps his hands over his mouth. "I'm sorry. Please continue."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Crassius Callei

"A demonstration, huh? Well, sure then. Let's see...if you're going to make her eat her words you're gonna need something that everyone can see as practical, since not everyone wants a bisected object..."

He thinks on it for a few moments, then snaps his fingers, and seems to have what he wants figured out.

"I've got it! While it's not as flashy as some of my other techniques, my Hardened Oakskin Defense will work just fine. Now, if any of you could grab an object and get ready to swing it at me?"

Going to be using my one free usage of Hidden Mysteries to perform a supernatural stunt: Just as the objects connect with me, the affected area will stiffen and harden like the bark of a tree, severely reducing the effects of the would-be assaults, whether they be blade or blunt.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Digs-A-Grave

Melee attack against Crassius: 1d20+1=20
Damage: 1d6=2

As soon as Crassius stops speaking, Digs unceremoniously cracks him on the head with his staff.

"Oh no, that didn't hurt, did it? It was supposed to hurt. But I'm sorry if it did. Oh I'm no good at this anyway. Where did the others go? They could hit so much harder than I could. Seriously though, are you okay?"

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Zairan and Severia

You exit this magic show and enter the Fighters Guild. It's getting late, but you can still hear the drillmaster downstairs ordering his recruits around. The smith, a Redguard without a single hair on his head, is currently stretching out an iron breastplate to fit a new owner. Wayn looks up, sees you two, and grins. "Ho there! Here for some armor or weapons, friends?"

Back at the Mages Guild

Galbedir seems to be overjoyed as she watches Crassius at work. She whips out a quill, jams it into an ink pot, and begins frantically taking notes. "Oh yes, I see! You summon a minor Shield spell just around the area of where you get hit, reducing the magicka cost. Brilliant, simply brilliant! I'll show that flea-bitten alley cat who is the smartest! If you want something, just ask and it's yours, friend. I've finally got the edge I need to get promoted over Ajira."

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 17, 2014

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Severia

"Both technically I guess? I need some kind of silver gauntlet or glove. Something for people who punch ghosts."

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Zairan Hainnabibi

Zairan recognizes the Redguard from his previous trips to the city guild. "Hello, Wayn. I'm looking for silver-tipped arrows."

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Wayn looks at you, his eyebrows raised, and laughs, his gut heaving at what you said. "Oh, man, my ribs. Should've guessed you would've said something like that, Severia. Twenty drakes says you're going into one of those Dark Elf tombs, am I right?"

The smith looks at you knowingly. "Tell you what, I'm in the market for something that can be found where you're going. Ever hear of a Spider Dagger? They're usually used in ceremonies by the locals. They've got inscriptions and designs that dedicate the weapon to Mephala, and minor enchantments that give it a poisonous edge. I can get crappy iron knock-offs via paying the Mages Guild a rather steep fee for their services, but I'd rather just get some real ones the way everyone else seems to do these days. I'll give you some silver-plated gauntlets and your friend a quiver full of silver-tipped arrows, and in exchange you dig up a couple of those daggers for me. You'll probably find a few wherever you're going. Deal?"

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 17, 2014

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Severia

Severia shrugs at Wayn. "I'll see what I can do. Anything to give the shaft to the wizards, eh?"

loving wizards and their inability to post.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

K'zan Redpaw

The Khajiit found himself without anything in particular to do, here; he wasn't a wizard, and not much for weapons when his claws were, heh, on-hand.

He did, though, know a thing or too about the fine art of medicine, and that gave him an idea. While the rest of their little group busied themselves with spell and sword, K'zan wandered the guildhall looking for the local alchemist; perhaps there would be some materials he could acquire and refine.

Sorry I've been such a no-show; been busy with work, and a memorial service over the weekend, and then more work. :( Gonna have K'zan haggle some potion supplies from whomever has some to offer and put his Apothercary skills to good use!

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
Tombak

Tombak finishes digging at his ear with a pinkie finger and nods knowingly at Galbedir. "No doubt you'll be leaving that brat in the dust soon enough," he says encouragingly. It's a good thing he's been here the whole time, helping out.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Digs-A-Hole

"If you're satisfied, would you mind providing us with some basic enchantments for our weapons? Mostly for Tombak here; I believe Crassius and I are happy with our armaments. You know, whatever you think is fair; we just need them to be enchanted in some way."

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Zairan Hainnabibi

"Steal? From a Hlaalu tomb?" Zairan sighs. "Fine. But if you breathe a word of this to the Hlaalu, Wayn, they'll likely kill us all."

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Mages Guild

"Enchanted weapons, huh? Well, what would you like? I can do a few light enchantments on some weapons for you; I've got enough resources for three right now."

Fighters Guild

Wayn puts a finger in front of his mouth and shushes. "I won't say a thing. Besides, it's not the living Hlaalu you need to worry about. Barely any of them get buried in an ancestral tomb anymore. It'll be years before they step foot in there. The dead, however, are a different story. They're the troublemakers and miscreants of the House who got bound to protect the tomb in punishment for their failures in life. It drives them mad; they can't attack any of the Hlaalu, but they'll take their time working out their anger on you folks."

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 22, 2014

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Severia

"I never understood why Dunmer have such a hang up about tombs. I mean in Skyrim, tomb raiding is basically a national pastime, second only to freezing your tits off. I mean what do those assholes need with the stuff? They're dead."

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
Tombak

"Well, these fine folks want to go fight some ghosts," Tombak explains, rolling his eyes to indicate what he thinks of the idea. "And seeing as ghosts are a bit on the incorporeal side, it might be right difficult to give them a proper poke with just good old Imperial steel. Anything you could do to give me an edge over ectoplasm would be welcome."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Crassius Callei

Crassius attempts to play off Tombak's sarcasm. "Yeah. Ectoplasm is such a pain to get sometimes, y'know? Still, someone's gotta do it." He picks up an empty soul gem (practicers of magic just know the difference between a full and an empty one). "If I was enchanting it myself, I'd probably put soul trapping on it; kill two birds with one stone."

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Zairan Hainnabibi

"They may be dead, but they're certainly not gone. How to explain this to an outlander...our ancestors are full of immense wisdom, dating back generations. Treat them properly, and you will benefit from their wisdom. Treat them improperly, and, well...I'm sure you've met angry spirits before."

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Digs-A-Hole

"Actually it just dawned on me. Who's the resident Alchemy expert again? I'm trying to find out if he has any more fire salts or if I did, in fact, clean him out."

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Severia

"See, I get that they're still around. But I don't really get what makes them so wise. My grandpa was an rear end in a top hat and his grandpa was an rear end in a top hat and his grandpa was an rear end in a top hat. At what point do they stop being crotchety old men and become venerated wise men? And does it stop at some point? Because I certainly wouldn't ask a Draugr for wisdom, despite them being so old."

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Fighters Guild

Wayn nods in appreciation of Severia's words. "Exactly. If you ask me, these Dunmer remind me of those stuffy Crown bastards back home in Hammerfell. They'd always mummify their dead, scooping their organs out, wrapping them in cloth, and burying them with all their belongings. Makes no sense to me. Why would you take your best sword with you to the grave instead of giving it to your child or someone else you love?"

He looks at Zairan, almost as if remembering he was still there. "Ehrm, but that's your belief system, and I can't judge."

Mages Guild, Enchanting Station

"I could do that. I can also make the weapons burn whatever they strike or weaken your enemy to make them easier to strike. It's your choice, my friend." She smiles, content with herself.

Mages Guild, Alchemy Station

You find Ajira at work, smashing a ruby into a fine powder with a small hammer. She briefly looks up at K'Zan and Digs, and then resumes her work. "These ones are new. What brings you two here to Ajira? Do you wish to purchase something? Khajiit can provide the best deal for your money. Ajira has healing, levitation, shields, and other potions in her inventory."

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Digs-A-Hole

"Hey Ajira, remember me? I was the guy collecting fire salts for Edwinna earlier. Quick question: do you have any left?"

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Alchemy Station

The Khajiit utters a low and grumbling hiss. "This one is careless and did not put his Fire Salts in a safe place, no? Khajiit supposes this is good for her business. Ajira will replace your Fire Salts for five golden drakes. This one will promise to do better to keep better care of his ingredients, yes?"

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Digs-A-Hole

"Beautiful! Thank you, I'll take it. Although to clarify, I stored my salts properly; those Hlaalu, on the other hand, have no sense of gentility. Of course, now I have to ask, do we have enough time for a quick jaunt to Ald'ruhn and back? I could just leave them here for safe keeping, but those drat initiates have no regard for personal property when it comes to magical implements. Hmm, what do you think, Ingot?"

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
Tombak

"Weakening the enemy, eh?" Tombak asks, rubbing his chin. "I don't know, that sounds more my speed than stealing souls. Why not?" With a flourish, he sets his trusty old Imperial spear down before the enchanter.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Tombak

Galbedir takes your spear and begins to make signs with her hands. The spear begins to glow a wan red color, steadily brightening as the enchantment is reinforced until the spear is surrounded by a red field of magic. The soul gem, placed nearby, dissolves as the soul inside is consumed. She hands you your spear back, a proud smile on her face. "That should do it. This spear can make it so your foe is made vulnerable after being struck by this. Of course, it only has enough charge to do this once in a while. It'll recharge on its own after a fight or if you use a soul gem."

You've gained a Spear of Debilitation! This spear, asides from giving you a nice +1 to attack and damage, will make an enemy vulnerable, making it so an attack with a natural 18 or higher will critically hit. You'll have to roll a 11 or higher to recharge it after using this ability. Or you could pop a soul gem to recharge it instantly. Soul gems will take a standard action to use, and the type of soul gem needed depends on the weapon tier. Here at adventurer tier, lesser soul gems will do the job. Champion tier will require common soul gems, Epic will require greater, and Grand soul gems for the most legendary of weapons.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Crassius Callei

"I'll stick with soul trapping, if you could put it on these gauntlets of mine. I'll also take an empty petty soul gem or two if you're selling.."

He removes his gauntlets, the claws retracted, and puts them on the enchanting table.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Severia

Severia decides to break the tension after Wayn's last comment. "So. We'll get you the daggers then. How soon can you have the silver stuff ready for us?"

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

K'zan Redpaw

The Khajiit remains fairly quiet, polite to not interrupt while Guild members carry out their business; but he's quick to order supplies once a break in the conversation occurs.

"Hello, yes, this one has...somewhat large order of supplies. A few potions to cure disease and poisoning, if you've any, aaaaand...mmm, some Fire and Frost salts, a bit of solvent oil, and a few small glass jars, say...four, fives drams in volume?"

Pause.

"...Ah, and perhaps a healing potion or three, just to be on the safe side, yes?"

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Alchemy Station

Ajira pulls out a few vials for K'zan, a small phial filled with a brown oil, and then pulls out two small ceramic bowls filled with fire and frost salts. "Ajira will take 12 gold for the salts and the oil. Health potions will not come so cheap, however. 50 drakes for each."

Fighters Guild

"How about now?" He fishes out a pair of gleaming silver-plated gauntlets and hands them to Severia, and then retrieves a quiver full with 50 silver tipped arrows.

"You get me those daggers, and I'll let you keep those. My gift. Enchantments aren't cheap, you know?"

Enchantment Station

Galbedir performs her free enchantment for Crassius, weaving a Soul Trap into the weapons. After she finishes, she hands the Imperial the clawed gloves. "Just activate the enchantment, and it'll cast Soul Trap on whatever you want to catch. I had to make the enchantment a little unstable to make it work with the gem I used, though; the duration of the spell could last less than a minute or several minutes depending on how lucky you get. Hopefully you'll manage. I'll give you a pair of empty petty soul gems if you'll pay me 5 drakes."

You've got Soul Trapping Gauntlets. Asides from the standard magical item bonus of +1 attack and damage, you can cast Soul Trap on whoever you strike with this weapon once per encounter as a free action. Roll 1d6 when you do so; that is how many rounds you have to down that enemy. Upon doing so, it will fill a soul gem. At Adventurer Tier, mooks will fill petty soul gems, Normal enemies will fill lesser soul gems, and extra strong enemies will fill common soul gems. This spell won't work on any living humanoid, however, unless you have a Black Soul Gem. Roll 6+ to recharge this item.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 3, 2014

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Digs-A-Hole

"You know what, I know what the problem was. The fire salts were doing just fine when I was carrying them. It's only when those guards got their hands on it that they were ruined. Ergo, the safest place for them to be is on my person."

Digs fixes the pouch to his side as he makes his way to the enchanting station.

"In lieu of a weapon, I was hoping you could help me with a personal matter."

He motions for Crassius and Tombak to give him some privacy.

"Could you get me whatever information the Guild has on the nature of the soul and soul gems? Specifically the black ones if you don't mind. Shady business, I know, but believe me when I say I wouldn't ask if it wasn't necessary. If you don't have it on you right now, I understand, but I just need it at some point in the near future. If it's any consolation, if I'm right, then you'll definitely get more than a leg up on your rivals, and if I'm wrong... Well you certainly won't hear from me again."

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
Tombak

Tombak takes the spear with a flourishing bow, testing the weight of the thing on the sly-- just in case the enchantment has messed with the balance. It hasn't. Pleased, he returns the weapon to its sling across his back. "My thanks," he replies.

At Digs' request, he turns towards a wall, puts his fingers in his ears and begins humming a Legionnaire's marching song. It's only polite, after all.

Soon, hopefully, they will be on their way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Zairan Hainnabibi

Zairan scoffs at the Redguard's comments about his beliefs, but takes the arrows anyway. "Yes, yes. We'll bring you the daggers. I suppose I'm not in a position to bargain, but I'm not sure a few silver-tipped arrows in exchange for retrieving a magical dagger, guarded by murderous spirits is a very fair trade. Is there anything else special about these arrows?"

• Locked thread