Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

Greetings, everyone, and welcome to Let's Play Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition.

:siren::siren::siren:
Who are you? What the heck is a "Grizzled Beagle"?
I'm long time lurker, Dooky Dingo, and, at the urgings of some folk, I have joined forces with a few of my friends, Kreslev and Jotsam, to bring you, good goons, FREE ENTERTAINMENT!
As for the "Grizzled Beagle" thing? Well, it's just easier to have a conglomerate name for us instead of our individual names. Just here to bring some content to you fine folk.

Okay, I'll bite. What is this?
I'm glad you asked! Dark Souls is an EXTREMELY popular game, made famous for it's interesting narrative structure and it's unrelenting difficulty. There are also about as many different LP's of it on YouTube than there are stars in the sky.
That's where we come in. Every week, we will release a new video starring our plucky protagonist as he action rolls across the world and, hopefully, provide some funny commentary while it happens.
We aren't professionals and we aren't taking this too seriously. You shouldn't either. If you are looking for an informative LP, this ain't it. However, we do hope that you enjoy your stay.

Sounds good, when do new videos come out?
Wednesdays. probably

Okay... Well, how long is this going to last?
Until the very end. :black101:

I don't really think you guys are funny/good at Dark Souls.
Valid opinion. Counter-opinion: :fuckoff:

Will there be any kind of audience participation?
Absolutely! You guys shoot us some ideas for stuff you would like to see LP'd and IT maybe SHALL BE DONE!

Spoilers?
It's an old(ish) game and there have already been a bunch of LP's. Kreslev doesn't have a forums account yet and he's the only one going in blind.
Honestly? I don't particularly care that much. Go hog wild. :c00lbutt:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like what you see here, and you want to get a face full of some MORE Grizzled Beagle stuff, come check out our Left4Dead2 Mod Theater thread going on RIGHT NOW!
:ducksiren:CLICK HERE, JERKS.:ducksiren:

:siren::siren::siren:
Alright, goons. With that out of the way...
Come suffer with us... :unsmigghh:
:pcgaming:LATEST VIDEO HERE:pcgaming:

Chapter 18: Whatsa' matter, Seath?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 1: "You stay here, Jimmy. It's too dangerous"
Chapter 2: "The Charmin Strategy"
Chapter 3: The other, OTHER red meat...
Chapter 4: The Horniest Butterfly
Chapter 5: A most capricious demon
Chapter 6: A metaphor for girly bits
Chapter 7: Two bosses with one stone
Chapter 8: Hot dogs
Chapter 9: Sen's Fortress (of candy)
Chapter 10: Furry convention gone wrong
Chapter 11: Pinky, The Brain, and Satan
Chapter 12: Dog Daze
Chapter 13: The Pinwheeliest
Chapter 14: The Return of Smushy
Chapter 15: A Giant Failure
Chapter 16: That's real Nito
Chapter 17: John Wayne's Archive
Chapter 18: Whatsa' matter, Seath?
:siren:INTERLUDE:siren:
Dark (Knight) Souls: Chapter 1
Dark (Knight) Souls: Chapter 2
Dark (Knight) Souls: Chapter 3
Dark (Knight) Souls: Chapter 4
Dark (Knight) Souls: Chapter 5
Dark (Knight) Souls: Chapter 6(ish)
:psylon:INTERLUDE INTERLUDE!:psylon:
Risk of Rain 1
Risk of Rain 2
All About that Bass (fishing)

Dooky Dingo fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

What Pinwheel REALLY looks like.

:ducksiren::siren:JUST RUN!:siren::ducksiren:
Jotsam cares about the people and their need for less Beagles.

Mr. Soop shows rare footage of a secret Dark Souls boss.

Jotsam shows us the... softer... side of Frampt...

Mr. Soop is all about getting tail. :heysexy:

Mr. Soop knows what Dingos like...

Dooky Dingo fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 29, 2014

TheAleph
Oct 19, 2007

GODDAMN THOSE FUCKING BRONIES, THEY ARE SO CREEPY. NOT LIKE MY AVATAR OF A CROSSDRESSING ANIME PISSING INTO THE WIND.

I'm not consumed by my purestrain Goon internet hatred of pointless shit, I'm normal. Not like you faggots.
Post reserved in case lp is bad.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
How could you say that Smushy is a monster, he's just searching for his friend!
You guys are playing on PC, right?

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

TheAleph posted:

Valid opinion. Counter-Opinion: Go climb a wall of dicks.

The Door Frame posted:

How could you say that Smushy is a monster, he's just searching for his friend!
You guys are playing on PC, right?

Smushy knows right where Jimmy is, it was just too dangerous!
Also, yes, Steam game.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
please only use the Giantdad build tia

TheAleph posted:

did you get a red title for making fun of bronies really

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Putty posted:

please only use the Giantdad build tia

I wish. :(
If, for some reason, we do a new game plus run for whatever reason, I am REQUIRING Jotsam to do this.
As of right now, however, he's already leveled his Dex too high for that.
Apparently, Detective Smushy loves glorious Nippon too much and is going for an Iaito build. (Lame, I know.)
However, feel free to request any silly/stupid/funny deaths. Those are required for Jotsam.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
giantdad only needs 16 str to 2h the lightning zwe and you pump the rest in vit/end so i think it's very possible

Five Apples
Mar 11, 2008

THIS IS WHAT I AM
THE LEGEND

NEVER DIES

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Well since you asked...

Requesting death by mimic

Also please kill the furry bitch, tia!

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

TheAleph posted:

Are you loving serious did some dumb gbs goons think crossdressing is more creepy than bronies that's loving wrong and hosed up.

Oh, right, LP. Keep up the good work! Though you should stay human to actually show off invasions at least once by killing someone, you CAN kill random pubby invaders... Right?

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Outpost22 posted:

Requesting death by mimic
Also please kill the furry bitch, tia!

Which one? :smugbert:

bathroomrage posted:

you CAN kill random pubby invaders... Right?

When I said before that Jotsam has a crippling fear of outsiders, I was completely serious.
However, ESPECIALLY for the sake of completion, I will require him to do some PvP.
Maybe a video of just forest hunting. It would really go well with the GiantDad build. :getin:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

bathroomrage posted:

Oh, right, LP. Keep up the good work! Though you should stay human to actually show off invasions at least once by killing someone, you CAN kill random pubby invaders... Right?

Isn't GFWL dead now?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
the legend never dies

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

Isn't GFWL dead now?
Yeah, but Steam is still kickin. I'm hoping that they will take over. :pray:
Here is an article about it!
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/05/20/dark-souls-will-remain-functional-as-gfwl-prepares-to-die-in-july/#null

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Having a mix of people who have not played it and who have played it, worked really kinda well.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

Having a mix of people who have not played it and who have played it, worked really kinda well.
It's actually even more complicated than that.
Kreslev has never played the game, nor really has any kind of knowledge of it. :downs:
I have never played the game, nor do I even own it, because I am broke and my current graphics card couldn't handle it. However, I love the lore and the world and the mechanics, so I've watched enough LP's of it to be pretty knowledgeable. :spergin:
Jotsam, on the other hand, owns the game and has sunk quite a few hours into it, but has no real love or affection for the lore or the world and is really only interested in chopping dudes in the face. :ese:

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

I'm the only muthafukin Jedi to defeat the muthafukin Emperor! Not even Yoda pulled that shit off! I'm tired of that bitch Skywalker gettin all the muthafukin credit!

Dooky Dingo posted:

Kreslev has never played the game, nor really has any kind of knowledge of it. :downs:
I have never played the game, nor do I even own it, because I am broke and my current graphics card couldn't handle it. However, I love the lore and the world and the mechanics, so I've watched enough LP's of it to be pretty knowledgeable. :spergin:
Jotsam, on the other hand, owns the game and has sunk quite a few hours into it, but has no real love or affection for the lore or the world and is really only interested in chopping dudes in the face. :ese:

I fail to see the problem here.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Dooky Dingo posted:

It's perfectly filling out all the inbetweens, then, really.

drifterofhell
Nov 5, 2009
Loving the play through so far. You said at the end of the first video to post mods, and unfortunately there really aren't that many mods for the game.

But the one you should install if you haven't already is DSFix:
http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls/mods/19

and a GUI for it:
http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls/mods/246

It basically unlocks a few options for the resolution and graphics, it also helps reduce the lag in blight town.

Looking forward to more videos :D

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf
Is there a mod to remove that annoying loving dog head from the corner of the videos? If you're hellbent on keeping your branding in tack, just have it fade out of the video after a minute

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Blister posted:

Is there a mod to remove that annoying loving dog head from the corner of the videos? If you're hellbent on keeping your branding in tack, just have it fade out of the video after a minute

If it was covering up the UI this wouldn't make you sound like a Bitchy Blister but I had to go back and re-watch the video to even notice it's there.

Just make it a youtube annotation so people can turn it off before this derails the thread in a storm of inane bitching.

drifterofhell
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah I didn't notice it until blister said something, but I went back and checked that it's not an annotation, it's in the video itself.

I don't care to be honest.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

drifterofhell posted:

Yeah I didn't notice it until blister said something, but I went back and checked that it's not an annotation, it's in the video itself.

I don't care to be honest.

Yeah, I've been following these guys a while and I thought it was an annotation. Maybe it ruins that one corner of the screen, but the fact that I've watched hours of video so far and it never occurred to me that I should close the water mark means it's pretty unobtrusive

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
As long as it's Goons having fun in Dark Souls, then I'll probably be happy with how this turns out.

I'm going to wait until I actually get around to finishing NG in the Sequel before I decide which game I like better overall. So far I feel like it's easier to SURVIVE the first one without making sure to never be hit more than once without a heal between, no need to spend 20 levels or so going from "Worse than Fat Roll I frames" to "As good as Mid Roll I frames" regardless of weight load.

Meanwhile it feels so much easier to KILL enemies and bosses in the sequel even with a +0 (or +3, you big spender you) Mace and Bow, or elemental longsword you find laying around. So I keep flip flopping between "Oh god that sucked. I suck." to "I made it through three areas and two bosses without dying. what."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 16, 2014

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Oh, HEY! 7 new replies in the DS thread! I wonder whats going on in...

Blister posted:

:catstare:
Did you just give us poo poo and then misuse the term "INTACT"?

You know what? It's fine. I had Jotsam fix it for you.

Dooky Dingo fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 16, 2014

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
good dog

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dooky Dingo posted:

Oh, HEY! 7 new replies in the DS thread! I wonder whats going on in...

:catstare:
Did you just give us poo poo and then misuse the term "INTACT"?

You know what? It's fine. I had Jotsam fix it for you.

Hang him by his terrible spelling.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Alright, that's enough of that.
:siren::ducksiren:NEW VIDEO DAY!:ducksiren::siren:
Chapter 3: The other, OTHER red meat...

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Remember, goons, if you would like Jotsam to die a certain funny way or have any requests for some stupid shenanigans, make sure to get them in before we hit an area.
Apparently, Jotsam runs about two videos out in front of commentary. :shepface:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dooky Dingo posted:

Remember, goons, if you would like Jotsam to die a certain funny way or have any requests for some stupid shenanigans, make sure to get them in before we hit an area.

I'd be amazed and delighted if you managed to replicate my first cause of death in Anor Londo. No, not the Archers.

Screenshot from a rematch... Where I ran past him, and dealt with the archer before he caught up enough to hit me in the back of the head with homing missiles. Little bastard persisted through deaths.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Section Z posted:

I'd be amazed and delighted if you managed to replicate my first cause of death in Anor Londo. No, not the Archers.

Screenshot from a rematch... Where I ran past him, and dealt with the archer before he caught up enough to hit me in the back of the head with homing missiles. Little bastard persisted through deaths.

What the gently caress even is that?????

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Dooky Dingo posted:

This is a ways off but make sure that when Jotsam clears the pit in Lost Izalith he leaves at least one of the chaos eaters alive and jumps down into it. Jumping down without plunging attacking procs the blender and it's amazing.

Jolyne Cujoh fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 18, 2014

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

Oooh, those are fun.
One of the weird quirks of Dark Souls online system is that if you drop an item in an area and leave it for long enough, it will sometimes grow into one of those things.
Some people use it to leave little presents for other plays, usually a humanity or something. Usually just a dung pie. :v:

VVVVV Yeah, or that too...

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The Door Frame posted:

Vagrant, appears randomly in a spot where someone lost a whole lotta humanity or a whole lotta souls, or both.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

To be a bit more accurate, certain items dropped will migrate to other people's worlds (if you see an item drop that shouldn't be there it's probably that). If the host doesn't pick it up it continues to migrate eventually becoming a vagrant. Lost bloodstains can also turn into vagrants.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
but can you parry it

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Putty posted:

but can you parry it
You can really only parry humanoid enemies.
The better question is can you EAT them? :chef:

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

Dooky Dingo posted:

Well I did learn recently that you can parry non-humanoid or 'unparryable' enemies, but all it does is cause you to take no damage or stagger from the attack. It doesn't stun the enemy or set them up for a riposte, unfortunately. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

I'm the only muthafukin Jedi to defeat the muthafukin Emperor! Not even Yoda pulled that shit off! I'm tired of that bitch Skywalker gettin all the muthafukin credit!

bathroomrage posted:

Well I did learn recently that you can parry non-humanoid or 'unparryable' enemies, but all it does is cause you to take no damage or stagger from the attack. It doesn't stun the enemy or set them up for a riposte, unfortunately. :eng101:

Dooky Dingo posted:

**Big Boss image removed**

bodz5150 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 20, 2014

• Locked thread