Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Having a mix of people who have not played it and who have played it, worked really kinda well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Dooky Dingo posted:

It's actually even more complicated than that.
Kreslev has never played the game, nor really has any kind of knowledge of it. :downs:
I have never played the game, nor do I even own it, because I am broke and my current graphics card couldn't handle it. However, I love the lore and the world and the mechanics, so I've watched enough LP's of it to be pretty knowledgeable. :spergin:
Jotsam, on the other hand, owns the game and has sunk quite a few hours into it, but has no real love or affection for the lore or the world and is really only interested in chopping dudes in the face. :ese:

It's perfectly filling out all the inbetweens, then, really.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I was watching through Geop's LP and didn't think to come back to comment between last update and this one.

I think I can't watch enough Dark Souls LP's, it's always something interesting to see, hear and learn about the game, and not necessarily all about lore either.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Dooky Dingo posted:

Bad news, kids.
Multiplayer is officially dead. :smithicide:

Wait what? Did GFWL go down?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Dooky Dingo posted:

You got it. Unless someone fires up some retro servers (I'm looking at YOU, Gabe-sama), Dark Souls multi has gone the way of the Dodo.

It seems to work from here, I can see both player messages and summon other players. Are you sure you're not just too high level for the area?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Excellent episode.

Of course, Queelag's physiology makes sense when considering she wasn't birthed into that form, she was created by magic.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I don't really think it is problematic as it is essentially a love-letter to western written fiction and we're essentially even worse than the Japanese at this whole ordeal.

Think about it though, pretty much every character in Dark Souls has to be saved in some manner. Your entire adventure is kick-started by Oscar saving you and you quickly repay him by taking on his task for him before he hollows. Every character has to be rescued at some point, even if you're maybe not always the one doing the rescuing.

The only exception that comes to mind is the crestfallen warrior.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Dooky Dingo posted:

Domhall. Gough (although that is in the DLC and, arguably, you save him from his own depression). You never save Petrus, though you do save his "girlfriend". Gwyndolen (sp?) Unless you count saving him from this mortal coil. :getin:

If you kill Gough, you save him from the meanest prank that lasted unnaturally long: He was never blind to begin with, somebody just put a bunch of gunk in his helmet and he assumed he's blind.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Dooky Dingo posted:

:staredog: I never knew this.
What kind of rear end in a top hat would do that? I bet it was loving Lautrec wasn't it?

Some assholes in Gwyn's employ who were giant racists:

code:
A helm crafted especially for the honorable Hawkeye Gough,
only the eye holes were packed with tree resin
by those who dismissed Gough as a brutish giant.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Dark Souls is, if nothing else, a tale of terrible tragedies.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Dooky Dingo posted:

or... OR... Kirk is just a loving psychopath who does random poo poo whenever the notion strikes his fancy, like wearing spikes all over his armor like an idiot.
Seriously, how does he even sit down?

When you go undead, you probably relinquish a need for sitting.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I have too many favorite areas in this game, but this is definitely up there.

I think it might be a tad misleading for the beginning part, but as soon as you get inside, it's all great.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I am rather seeing what problems the silver knights present when you don't attempt to parry them. I get why you'd suddenly find it a bit obnoxious, but oh man, that run would be more painful to me than parrying two silver knights.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The sin in question in that video was gained by killing Priscilla.

Also, I'm almost 30 years old and playing Dark Souls. :colbert:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Dooky Dingo posted:

But if you've changed the past in the future, the past is still already changed. :colbert:

Until you go back in time in the DLC, technically time travel-wise, the undead traveling back was the undead who played before you.

Time in Lordran is convoluted, after all.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'll be honest, my butt clinched a bit when you walked into the boss room without retrieving your souls before the boss as there's always a tiny chance that going there can just end up getting you killed as Pinwheel has some really nasty attacks, but roughly zero defense.

You can pretty much kill Pinwheel right after the Moonlight Butterfly and the tomb will still have been the hardest part.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Dooky Dingo posted:

Also, Pinwheel is a jerk and some kind of sexual deviant. Just sitting in there... touching his skeletons...

Ah-hah... The thing about pinwheel is that it isn't a 'he', it's a 'they'.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I just never played Batman, but it is on my bucket list and I came for Smushy. :ohdear:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Booya!

If you're having trouble getting DSFix or the mousefix to work, there's some helpful guidelines on the Steam community page, with disabling 60FPS and turning off the cursor in-game.

I was having problems with both of these, but simply editing the ini fixed it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, looks like you never activated the Daughter of Chaos.

Also, the way I see it, Lore is in the item descriptions, the story is in the world building of Dark Souls.

For the most part, anyway. The environments kind of tell a story without any words on their own.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Just before I posted "where's my video Dooky".

Thanks for the Christmas video!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Quite honestly though, most of that was entirely their own fault.

Tomb of Giants isn't my favorite part of the game, but the game does give you a lot of tools for tackling it and it's a bit silly to complain about difficulty when the wrecking of the skeleton dogs is what is happening on screen. Quite opposite of hard, isn't it?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

bathroomrage posted:

From my experience, the thing about the Tomb of the Giants is that you either utterly wreck the skeleton dogs, or you die thirty times in a row until you pick up some Pyromancy and utterly wreck the skeleton dogs.

Naw, like most enemies, the skeleton dogs are also defeated by a cautious, slow playstyle, where you attack twice, and then either roll back or turtle behind a shield.

Any type of magic will of course trivialize them too.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Your contribution to the video did not disappoint Dingo. Good job.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Dooky Dingo posted:

No, see, you don't understand!
Jotsam is using a GUIDE! :shepicide:

I want to believe all guides on Dark Souls are just giant trolls on anyone following it. By this time though, I had a +4 lightning uchigatana on my character. Which may have been even worse (pyromancy as a backup saved me likely)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I was somewhat harder for me, it actually went fairly fast for me in this video. But yeah, optimal damage would have been using a blunt weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Poor Dingo, just a cog in Jotsam's delve into madness.

• Locked thread