Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
How could you say that Smushy is a monster, he's just searching for his friend!
You guys are playing on PC, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

drifterofhell posted:

Yeah I didn't notice it until blister said something, but I went back and checked that it's not an annotation, it's in the video itself.

I don't care to be honest.

Yeah, I've been following these guys a while and I thought it was an annotation. Maybe it ruins that one corner of the screen, but the fact that I've watched hours of video so far and it never occurred to me that I should close the water mark means it's pretty unobtrusive

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Section Z posted:

I'd be amazed and delighted if you managed to replicate my first cause of death in Anor Londo. No, not the Archers.

Screenshot from a rematch... Where I ran past him, and dealt with the archer before he caught up enough to hit me in the back of the head with homing missiles. Little bastard persisted through deaths.

What the gently caress even is that?????

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

PRL412 posted:

Speaking of, if anyone wants to see the giant rat in action, Geop took it on at ground level.

I like blind DS LP's but the constant audio issues in that one made me stop watching....

Dooky Dingo posted:

However, You won't get very long to look at his armor as he falls off a cliff. :vd:

I've never not done that ever since he killed the fire keeper in my first run. How does his quest end?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I wouldn't point out that the chaos witches are an example of misogyny in dark souls, they're tragic figures who were birthed when their mother tried to reignite the primordial flame with parts of her own soul. That being said, Sigmeyer's daughter is the only female character who is actually portrayed well and/or isn't trapped at a bonfire and even she has to be rescued....

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Dooky Dingo posted:

I, personally, also like the character of Priscilla the half-breed, who, while being absolute furry fan-service, actually does a very good job of being both lady-like, as befits a person of her royal lineage, and an absolute invisible half-dragon scythe-wielding badass who just wants you to leave her alone. She is even one of the few characters in the game who is willing to show you mercy and DOESN'T try to murder you on sight...
Also, you can say the chaos witches aren't examples of misogyny, except for the fact that all of them are topless. :shepface::fh:

Dooky Dingo posted:

I, personally, also like the character of Priscilla the half-breed, who, while being absolute furry fan-service

:colbert:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Dooky Dingo posted:

Fixed that for you.

It's Always Sunny in Lordran
Every character in the game is a dick. Even my favorite character in the game, Dark Knight Kirk, is a dick in the way he atones for being a dick

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

double nine posted:

I prefer to think of him as a double agent, pretending to work for the primorial serpent while feeding his bounties to the pale lady.

Still creepy though.

I thought it was guilt. You can only see the chaos sister after you kill Kellogg and when she speaks to you, she thinks you're her sister. Since Kirk doesn't have a parasite, I always thought he was invading to assuage his guilt over killing Kellogg and dooming the innocent chaos sister to die.
Dark Souls yo, poo poo is complicated

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

The spikes are on the armor, so the armor protects him from the spikes :downs:

What I want to know is how that douche hole in the painted world sees with the giant penis turban on

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Fuuuuuck the painting room railing walk. That killed me more times the smough and ornstein

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

No, no, I get the resemblance (aesthetically at least) between Buddha and Smough. His armor looks like the two most common depictions of Buddha glued together

But Smough as a character is a monster. He was the executioner who reveled in killing people and eating their corpses and souls. He is so cruel, he murders a weakened and helpless Ornstein, who you can see move his hand before the hammer comes down, and eats his souls to gain lightning attacks. Smough is so absolutely vile that not even Frampt, the guy that you feed garbage and poop to for money/souls, will give you more than 1 soul for the boss soul of Smough. Maybe he could be a dark mirror of Buddha, but the concept art makes it seem like the resemblance is merely a coincidence based on the largely western depiction of fat Buddha

Also, your "One Ring" theory is totally true. The cutscene for Super Ornstein shows his armor and weapon growing with him when he takes all of the souls that HIS FRIEND Smough had eaten, but only after Smough had died and started to glow like corpses of enemies do.
Seriously, gently caress Smough. He's an abomination who doesn't even have cool gear or any personality to redeem him as a character. I hate that guy...

E: For even more spergy Dark Souls lore, Ornstein is the leader of the Knights of Gwyn and the only one that we see without the DLC. Smough desperately wanted to be a knight, to be honored as the best and most loyal follower of the Lord of Sunlight, but because he was grinding the bones of those he executed and eating them, he was denied knighthood. Everything beyond here is speculation, but even though some see Ornstein as the only thing holding the leash on mad-dog Smough, I see their pairing in the chapel to mean so much more. Since Smough wanted to be a knight, being in the chapel that eventually had an elevator built specifically for Smough shows him trying to repent for his sins by praying, but since there was only the Princess of Sunlight after Lord Gwyn had left to rekindle the primordial flame, he still couldn't actually be a Knight, even though Smough was buddy-buddy with the leader of the knights. A man who lamented the death of one of the most vile and evil inhabitants of Anor Londo. Ornstein being weakened by the Chosen Undead was his one chance to take the mantle of Knight of Gwyn and he jumped on it without hesitation.
I like this boss battle a lot, if you hadn't noticed, and since there was a problem with the game audio, here's the best music in a game that is filled to the brim with great music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX51T-EipOo

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 17, 2014

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Dooky Dingo posted:

Counterpoint: Ornstein is a closet furry and his best friend is a goony cannibal.

He's cooler than the other knights though, especially that weirdo Artorias
Spoilers in that link by the way

Dooky Dingo posted:

He's like that one kid in highschool who got 3 chin-pubes before any of his friends and immediately became the "cool" friend who, like, totally made out with that one hot girl at the party, but he never saw her again and is going to, like, totally write a song about her some day for his awesome new garage band, "Hooker Butter". :coal:

"Hey we're Hooker Butter, I'm Ornstein the Lion, this is my buddy Smough the Hammer on bass, we'll be here for all time Anor Londo, we love you!"

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 17, 2014

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Which serpent is Jotsam going to align with?? He ignored Frampt and left Gwynevere alive. I kept thinking about it the entire video..... I wish you didn't have to kill Sif. Maybe it's a "cutting down the last Redwood for kindling" kind of thing, but I can't feel good about killing him or Priscilla. Even though I always interrogate both :unsmigghh:

And once I stop working nights in October, I'll figure out how to join a steam group and play with you guys. As is, I'm too tired and distracted to play anything faster paced than FTL

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Dooky Dingo posted:

:siren::ducksiren:NEW VIDEO DAY!:ducksiren::siren:
Chapter 13: The Pinwheeliest

Turn annotations on for the first part of the video. It will make more sense. :)

Oh poor Jotsam, he's going to get all the way to Nito's boss door only to realize that he needs to pick a creepy penis serpent and hit the Abyss first

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Y'all should put on subtitles for the batman in case other people like me haven't played it yet and are trying to follow along with the story. Also, the only legitimately good Nolan film is Dark Knight thanks to the fantastic acting of Heath Ledger and some pretty good stuff with Aaron Eckheart, everything else is so dour and boring. I love me some Michael Keaton. And Val Kilmer. And maybe even George Clooney because it was that magical kind of awful.
Even though Burton's movies were creepily sexual and gothic, they had a lot more heart and knew how to have a little bit of fun with the premise of "rich billionaire gets bat themed life and beats up mental patients" besides the research scenes between Morgan Freeman and Christian Bale.

Dooky Dingo posted:

It really is disturbing how much sexuality they try to shoehorn into this game about giant, burly men in their underwear beating each other.
:gooncamp:

You need to watch the first 2 batmen, I think Burton had some real issues :bigtran:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Dooky Dingo posted:

What was your first clue? :shepface:

http://youtu.be/hyEs0ZSsAh0
And people say that the Nolan movies were dark

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Dooky Dingo posted:

The first time I ever saw that movie, I expected WAAAAY worse to be under that mask. Instead of "frightened", I just felt kind of sorry for the lady who obviously used to be pretty. :(

Especially since she was an innocent bystander in the whole double cross scheme :smith:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Only kills through negligence? Maybe Christian Bale, that pussy. When Michael Keaton was batman, he drove into a factory full of people, dropped bombs at their feet and blew it up without saying a word :radcat:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

PRL412 posted:

The Duke's Archives look funny. Are you guys sure you're running Dark Souls 1.09?

I don't know, I think big hat logan was always 80 ft tall, but I don't remember Smushy being so acrobatic. It is interesting though

Dooky Dingo posted:

It really makes you wonder which person is crazier, Batman or Jack Nicholson. :shepface:

Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight? :shepicide:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Tell Jotsam to stop using pyromancy like a scrub. The only real way to play dark souls is at SL1 and only using an unascended broken straight sword :reject:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Dooky Dingo posted:

So, Jotsam brings up an interesting point in the video, and I would like all of your opinions.
He is getting to a point in Dark Souls where he is feeling slightly burnt out by clearly antagonistic game design and was asking me the question of whether or not it gets any better from here.
I'm honestly not sure what to tell him, so what do you guys think?
Is the best yet to come or has the light of Dark Souls finally faded into the past?

I personally think that the bed of chaos is pretty great, especially if you have done the side quest and I rather like the gimmick in new londo, but it is frustrating sometimes. The DLC is really cool looking and Manus and the knights of Gwyn have a lot of cool lore that Jotsam will ignore. Plus, the final boss of the game is a big, dumb jobber who can be parried into oblivion, which is always fun. I would say go for it, but I absolutely adore DS1, so I may be a little biased

For what it's worth, TOTG and the archives are the worst parts of the game. Like, I have abandoned 20+ hour playthroughs in those locations because they are so drat frustrating

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Gologle posted:

The DLC is pretty fun, IDK. I thought the Kiln was pretty great. I don't remember if he's done Lost Izalith yet or the Four Kings, and though Lost Izalith definitely sucks, it's up in the air for New Londo.

Oh.....I forgot about the stuff leading up to the bed of chaos..... that poo poo is so annoying I blocked it all out of my memory besides Solaire's side quest. Ummmm..... yeah, that's a hell of a thing to play through. I hope he liked the Capra Demon.

I stand by my recommendation for new londo though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Did jotsam get a corrupted recording and since ds autosaves so often we lost a lord soul?

• Locked thread