Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Yeah we're using the nomination thread for the livewatch thread because this thread was hardly touched in the first place.

Also, I won't be around because I got tricked into going to see Doctor Who in a theater tonight with a co-worker's wife when I thought we were going Saturday. Ugh.

So here, have this list --

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/emmy-nominations-2014-complete-list/story?id=24501383

Best Comedy Series

"The Big Bang Theory"
"Louis"
"Modern Family"
"Orange Is the New Black"
"Silicon Valley"
"Veep"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series
Lena Dunham, "Girls"
Edie Falco, "Nurse Jackie"
Julia Louis Dreyfus, "Veep"
Melissa McCarthy, "Mike & Molly"
Amy Poehler, "Parks & Recreation"
Taylor Schilling, "Orange Is the New Black"

Best Actor in a Comedy Series
Jim Parsons, "The Big Bang Theory"
Ricky Gervais, "Derek"
Matt LeBlanc, "Episodes"
Don Cheadle, "House of Lies"
Louis C.K., "Louie"
William H. Macy, "Shameless"

Supporting Actor, Comedy Series
Andre Braugher, "Brookiyn Nine-Nine"
Adam Driver, "Girls"
Jesse Tyler Ferguson, "Modern Family"
Ty Burrell, "Modern Family"
Fred Armisen, "Portlandia"
Tony Hale, "Veep"

Supporting Actress, Comedy Series
Mayim Bialik, "The Big Bang Theory"
Julie Bowen, "Modern Family"
Allison Janney, "Mom"
Kate Mulgrew, "Orange Is the New Black"
Kate McKinnon, "Saturday Night Live"
Anna Chlumsky, "Veep"

Best Drama Series
"Breaking Bad"
"Downton Abbey"
"Game of Thrones"
"House of Cards"
"Mad Men"
"True Detective"

Best Actress in a Drama Series
Lizzy Caplan, "Masters of Sex"
Claire Danes, "Homeland"
Michelle Dockery, "Downton Abbey"
Julianna Margulies, "The Good Wife"
Kerry Washington, "Scandal"
Robin Wright, "House of Cards"

Best Actor in a Drama Series
Bryan Cranston, "Breaking Bad"
Jeff Daniels, "The Newsroom"
Jon Hamm, "Mad Men"
Woody Harrelson, "True Detective"
Matthew McConaughey, "True Detective"
Kevin Spacey, "House of Cards"

Supporting Actor, Drama Series
Aaron Paul, "Breaking Bad"
Jim Carter, "Downton Abbey"
Peter Dinklage, "Game of Thrones"
Josh Charles, "The Good Wife"
Mandy Patinkin, "Homeland"
Jon Voight, "Ray Donovan"

Supporting Actress, Drama Series
Anna Gunn, "Breaking Bad"
Maggie Smith, "Downton Abbey"
Lena Headey, "Game of Thrones"
Christine Baranski, "The Good Wife"
Christina Hendricks, "Mad Men"
Joanne Froggatt, "Downton Abbey"

Best Miniseries or Movie
"American Horror Story: Coven"
"Bonnie & Clyde"
"Fargo"
"Luther"
"Treme"
"The White Queen"

Best Actress Miniseries or Movie
Jessica Lange, "American Horror Story: Coven"
Sarah Paulson, "American Horror Story: Coven"
Helena Bonham Carter, "Burton and Taylor"
Minnie Driver, "Return to Zero"
Kristen Wiig, "The Spoils of Babylon"
Cicely Tyson, "The Trip Bountiful"

Best Actor in a Miniseries or Movie
Chiwetel Ejiofor, "Luther"
Martin Freeman, "Fargo"
Billy Bob Thornton, "Fargo"
Idris Elba, "Luther"
Mark Ruffalo, "The Normal Heart"
Benedict Cumberbatch, "Sherlock: His Last Vow"

Supporting Actor, Miniseries or Movie
Colin Hanks, "Fargo"
Jim Parsons, "The Normal Heart"
Joe Mantello, "The Normal Heart"
Alfred Molina, "The Normal Heart"
Matt Bomer, "The Normal Heart"
Martin Freeman, "Sherlock: His Last Vow"

Supporting Actress, Miniseries or Movie
Frances Conroy, "American Horror Story: Coven"
Kathy Bates, "American Horror Story: Coven"
Angela Bassett, "American Horror Story: Coven"
Allison Tolman, "Fargo"
Ellen Burstyn, "Flowers In the Attic"
Julia Roberts, "The Normal Heart"

Outstanding Animated Program
"Archer"
"Bob's Burgers"
"Futurama"
"South Park"
"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Manhattan Project"

Outstanding Host: Reality-Competition Program
Betty White, "Betty White's Off Their Rockers"
Tom Bergeron, "Dancing with the Stars"
Jane Lynch, "Hollywood Game Night"
Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn, "Project Runway"
Cat Deeley, "So You Think You Can Dance"
Anthony Bourdain, "The Taste"

Reality-Competition Program
"Cosmos" A SpaceTime Odyssey"
"The Oscars"
"Portlandia"
"Saturday Night Live"
"Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games Opening Ceremony"
"The Voice"

Variety Series
"The Colbert Report"
"The Daily Show with Jon Stewart"
"Jimmy Kimmel Live"
"Real Time with Bill Maher"
"Saturday Night Live"
"The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon"

Children's Program
"Degrassi"
"Dog with a Blog"
"Good Luck Charlie"
"Nick News With Linda Ellerbee - Family Secrets: When Violence Hits Home"
"One Last Hug: Three Days at Grief Camp"
"Wynton Marsalis – A YoungArts Masterclass"

Annakie fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Hey Emmy folk, you can stop nominating Real Time. HBO has a late night show that's actually good now.

quote:

Children's Program
"Dog with a Blog"

Wait what the hell?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Some of these distinctions make little sense to me, so hopefully someone can explain.

Guest actress, comedy series
Uzo Aduba, Orange Is the New Black (Netflix)
Laverne Cox, Orange Is the New Black (Netflix)
Natasha Lyonne, Orange Is the New Black (Netflix)
Tina Fey, Saturday Night Live (NBC)
Melissa McCarthy, Saturday Night Live (NBC)
Joan Cusack, Shameless (Showtime)

How is nearly half the cast guest actresses when they have a series billing?

Also, there's still humans dumb enough to nominate The Newsroom for anything.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

A lot of the supporting characters on OitNB were billed as guest actresses, probably for this reason. Shameless has been pulling that poo poo with Joan Cusack since the beginning even though she's a main cast member for all intents and purposes.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Obviously they might as well rename this one the 2014 Breaking Bad Awards For Excellence In The Field Of Being Breaking Bad, but I do hope Anna Gunn loses, because gently caress Skyler.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I dunno, I think Matthew McConaughey is gonna win.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Portlandia is neither a reality not a competition show so why is it in the reality competition show category?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahaha @ Armisen getting a supporting actor nom for his own show

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I get the impression that Armisen, Brownstein, and co. deliberately put the show in the wrong categories as a joke and it ended up working. That's pretty funny.

Edit: Oh wait the reality-competition thing is a typo. Or Annakie's loving with us.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 10, 2014

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
No Tatiana Maslany, no Hannibal :mad:

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Fargo = miniseries, True Detective = series? :iiam:

Really hoping for wins for McConaughey and True Detective but Breaking Bad/Cranston might garner a lot of "last chance to vote for them" votes.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 10, 2014

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Chiwetel Ejiofor, "Luther"

This I'd love to see. (he's nominated for Dancing on the Edge)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Harlock posted:

I dunno, I think Matthew McConaughey is gonna win.
Up against Bryan Cranston in a season with "Ozymandias" in it? Never in a million years.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Bown posted:

hahaha @ Armisen getting a supporting actor nom for his own show

I think most sketch type shows submit everyone as supporting

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

CapnAndy posted:

Up against Bryan Cranston in a season with "Ozymandias" in it? Never in a million years.

The Emmys really like to give awards to people who were up for/won Oscars (see also: Melissa McCarthy winning after Bridesmaids). Cranston might still win, but it's not at all outside the realm of possibility that McConaughey will snatch the award from him.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

CapnAndy posted:

but I do hope Anna Gunn loses, because gently caress Skyler.

(That might actually be an indicator of good acting. :ssh: )

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pleasantly surprised to see Silicon Valley on the Best Comedy Series shortlist. There's no chance in hell that it will win, but this paves the way for future recognition. I'll settle for Veep winning this year, but I don't see anything other than another Modern Family victory.

If Bob's Burgers doesn't win Best Animated Series (it probably won't) then I will call robbery. It's unfortunate that Archer got recognized after a fairly "meh" season.

hcreight posted:

Wait what the hell?
Well it's about a dog with a blog.

And yeah, Real Time's days as HBO's representative for Variety Show look numbered. If The Late Show with Stephen Colbert starts off well, then we'll have The Daily Show, Last Week Tonight, and Late Show as perennial contenders.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 10, 2014

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Midnightghoul posted:

I think most sketch type shows submit everyone as supporting

That would make sense usually but the regular cast of Portlandia is literally just him and Carrie Brownstein

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Parker Lewis posted:

Fargo = miniseries, True Detective = series? :iiam:

Really hoping for wins for McConaughey and True Detective but Breaking Bad/Cranston might garner a lot of "last chance to vote for them" votes.

Fargo was intended as a miniseries, but got renewed by FX as a series halfway through after ratings/reviews were better than positive.

Yes, Breaking Bad is going to clean house again this year.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Y-Hat posted:

Well it's about a dog with a blog.

Like all Nickelodeon/Disney live-action kids' shows, it's really awful. It does have Beth Littleford, though, so that's something.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mister Mind posted:

(That might actually be an indicator of good acting. :ssh: )
Don't care, hate her so much!

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
Did Tatiana Maslaney murder an academy member's child or something?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Maslany's great, but if people are still baffled as to how an actress on a show not many people watch on a network not everyone even has isn't getting nominated, I don't know what to tell ya.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

That's an absurd number of high-level nominations for what was the worst season of Downton Abbey yet. So much of the list feels like it was just copy-pasted over from last year.

Most egregious snubs in my mind are Emmy Rossum, Hannibal, and The Americans.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/emmys-2014-too-many-great-shows-not-enough-spots-and-some-dumb-choices

Sepinwall wrote a pretty amusing column outlining how increasingly ludicrous the nomination system is getting. Nothing that will be shocking to people who follow this stuff at all closely, but it's nice to see a prominent critic actually make an argument instead of just posting a mailed-in snubs list.

DapperDinosaur
May 27, 2012

This is what America's next drag super star does...

She works for a living.
I'm disappointed Brooklyn Nine Nine only got one nomination. I thought it would stand a better chance after winning some Golden Globes.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

hcreight posted:

A lot of the supporting characters on OitNB were billed as guest actresses, probably for this reason. Shameless has been pulling that poo poo with Joan Cusack since the beginning even though she's a main cast member for all intents and purposes.

As long as you appear in half of the episodes or less of the season (rounded up) iirc, you can submit for supporting or guest

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CapnAndy posted:

Matthew mccounaghy off a fresh oscar win + more recent show + is a movie star + HBO Emmy machine = quite possibly unseating Cranston

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Jonad posted:

Did Tatiana Maslaney murder an academy member's child or something?

It's on BBC America. I'd bet no one in the Academy would know where it is in their channel lineup much less watching it except maybe 1 or 2 members and even then for Doctor Who.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm a little miffed that Allison Tolman was nominated for Best Supporting Actress. I was under the impression that she was, you know, playing the main character.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

As long as you appear in half of the episodes or less of the season (rounded up) iirc, you can submit for supporting or guest

I don't think it's even that rigorous. I think so long as you're listing an actor as a guest star, they're eligible. According to imdb, Joan Cusack has appeared in 41 of Shameless's 48 episodes (I know, it's imdb, but that sounds about right from memory). Additionally, Joe Morton was nominated for guest actor for playing Olivia Pope's dad on Scandal and he was in most of the episodes this season.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
The nomination process (submitting for categories anyway) is a giant mishmash of "submit for whatever you want (whatever gives you the best chance at nomination/winning), or whatever".

(And bonus points for nomination if your show is called Downton Abbey.)

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The Tollman nomination really pisses me off though because it takes a show that is about a fundamentally good woman and paints it as a show about douchebag antiheroes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm a little miffed that Allison Tolman was nominated for Best Supporting Actress. I was under the impression that she was, you know, playing the main character.

Its one of those things where there's no way she'd win Lead but has a chance at Supporting.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The Best Actress Category isn't that strong for Miniseries/Movies, and even if that's the case then they should have just submitted everyone for Supporting even if that would have hosed over Colin Hanks.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Timeless Appeal posted:

The Best Actress Category isn't that strong for Miniseries/Movies, and even if that's the case then they should have just submitted everyone for Supporting even if that would have hosed over Colin Hanks.

Yeah, really. In Supporting she's going against Angela Basset and Kathy Bates whereas in Lead she'd go up against Helena-Bonham Carter. She basically screwed herself out of an Emmy by submitting herself as Supporting.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
No Matthew Rhys for The Americans nor Emmy Rossum for Shameless are pretty egregious oversights. Her name's Emmy for gently caress's sake! :argh:

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I can't believe Hannibal got snubbed again. Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelsen just kill it on that show, pun probably intended.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
As much as I loved Breaking Bad I hope True Detective wins out. True Detective was just absolutely amazing in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
What I don't get is how Hannibal doesn't even have any technical nods. The subject matter is not for everyone, to put it lightly, but you could literally watch just one scene of Hannibal talking to someone and notice how goddamn beautiful it is.

• Locked thread