Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Summoners War: Sky Arena launched on mobile devices about a month ago. Since it's release it's already had content updates that have released more monsters to collect and areas to clear. This game is very much like Brave Frontier, with better graphics, and a bit more fun IMO. The graphics are actually very impressive for a mobile device, and the best part is the graphics actually look good in combat, not just on a character card in the menus. At this point in time there are 528 different monsters in the game, and the number will go up as the game gets more content updates. I would like to add this game isn't super pay to win. Almost every monster in the game can be upgraded to the current max of 6*.

CLICK FOR THE WIKI. It's a work in progress as the game just came out.

Goon FRIEND list.

USING ANY COLOR MONSTER OF THE SAME TYPE, REGARDLESS OF STARS, OR AWAKENING STATUS WILL SKILL UP A CREATURE!!!!!

It keeps the element system other games have where you have three elements (fire, water, wind) that work in a circle with strengths and weaknesses to each other, and a light/ dark element system.

So, you might be asking what makes this game special compared to the others? It's a really good looking game for mobile devices.

And a few of some of the monsters you can obtain

Additionally, the rune system gives quite a bit of character customization. Each character has 6 rune slots of which they can equip any combination. The way it works is each category of runes provides a different effect. For example, a 4 set of fatal runes provides a +30% attack bonus, on top of each bonus that each rune provides.

Some tips for beginners:
1) http://forum.com2us.com/forum/main-forum/summoner-s-war/guides-and-tips-ac/53254-monster-rating-compilation-rune-build-included Here's a rough list of the quality of early monsters that you will likely obtain, although nearly everything has a role, you just need to figure out what you want to do and build around that.
2) Your tutorial fairy is actually a really good monster. Work on getting it to 4*, and probably awakened. The only exception is if you get a Water Epikon Priest, if you do, focus on her instead.
3) If you spend money, be wary of spending it on summons. This game isn't nice about giving out 4 and 5* monsters. It happens, but isn't often. There are videos on youtube of 30+ summons without a 4*. Money is better spent on xp boosts, refilling stamina to run dungeons more often. Etc. If you do spend money, don't be upset if you buy the 750 crystal pack and come away with 11 3* monsters, it happens. It happened to me.
4) Stockpile mana. You always want 110k on hand in case a mystical scroll shows up at your store.
5) Plow through the story line to unlock different stages which drop different runes. Each area drops a different type of rune. For example the first area Garen Forest only drops energy runes, which in a set of 2 gives a 15% HP boost. Now, each stage within that area drops a different rune slot. The outskirts drop runes for the first slot, the south drops runes for the second slot and so on. More info can be found on the wiki.

I'll add more information when I get home from work, and if the thread grows in popularity. If you tried Brave Frontier or PAD, give this game a shot, it's pretty good. If anyone has any questions feel free ask and I'll try to help answer, although I've only been playing for like 4-5 days.

Useful Links:
http://appinvasion.com/forums/Summoners-War-Sky-Arena/
http://www.summonerswar-forum.com/
How to build your monsters, with runes!

Zotix fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Space holder for something important if needed.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Started playing as Largepotato

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Largepotato posted:

Started playing as Largepotato

I added you as i have room in my friends list. Let me know if you have any questions.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Seems pretty decent. In as Drmaniac.

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?
I didn't like PAD when I tried it, but this seems interesting so far. In as pollyzoid.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I've added both of you to friends. My vampire should help you guys get through some early content. Runes are going to be the biggest form of early power growth for your teams. If you get Energy runes for your fairy she'll get tanky quite quickly. Try to get HP or HP% for each slot that you can. The first slot will only be +atk, and the third slot can only be +defense, but you should be able to get HP on every other slot.

Also, check the event tab, there's a new event that started today that is like a bingo card. When you complete dungeons you end up getting rewards. If you run the first area Garen Forest 30x, the reward is 100k Mana. The rewards are better for the other areas.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 11, 2014

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
In as DontMindMee

DontMindMe was taken, and for some reason, adding SA is considered an inappropriate term.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

DontMindMe posted:

In as DontMindMee

DontMindMe was taken, and for some reason, adding SA is considered an inappropriate term.

Making the name Zotix or Zotics was considered inappropriate.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 11, 2014

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

Interesting thing to note:

My company's wireless network appears to block connections related to the chat in-game. The game itself still works, but due to chat connection issues, the game starts lagging VERY VERY badly. Beyond slide-show levels of slowness.

Once I switched back to the 4G network, the game started running smoothly again.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I clicked on this thread thinking that it was for Playdek's mobile port of the fantastic tactical/card game Summoner Wars. What a difference a single S makes...

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

In as berenzen. Been having some fun with it so far

MMOs & Welfare
Jan 24, 2007

by Lowtax
This game is decent, and the level of customization you can do with monsters is great. I'm level 16, ign is Welfare. So far i've been able to clear most of the normal campaign and a few stages of hard mode with an ice team. Right now i'm focusing on farming the daily dungeons for awakening and evo materials.

My advice for people just starting is to split your money between powering up runes and increasing the amount of slots in your monster box. The game throws tons of monsters at you for free and your boxes will fill up quickly, especially after you start running the daily dungeons and fill up your friend list. A lot of them aren't useful right off the bat, but when awakened and evolved some can turn into powerhouses. The starter hellhound is a good example of this. Even though it's a 2* freebie monster, its 3 or 4* awakened form is a beast.

zeesik
Nov 30, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Playing as zeesik. Seems alright so far. It looks like it has more depth than other of these monster collecting games.

zeesik fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 11, 2014

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Started playing this a few days back as Ayndin.

It's pretty fun, though the matchmaking for the arena seems depressingly lovely, what with me frequently having a list full of people 2x my rating/several levels ahead of me. It'd help if I'd managed to find some decent wind monsters, also - water seems to be head and shoulders the most common defensive type.

As a note, save your crystals - I'm barely a week in and I've got nearly enough from quests/clears/drops to pick up a premium pack of good summons, which will hopefully get me at least one nice thing. They're fairly generous with them, though - you can grind for one in PvP each week which isn't too hard even if you've got a terrible team like me, you'll get one out of dungeons every day or so, maybe one out of the daily spin. They'll probably give you terrible crap like catgirls, but at least you get to pull frequently.

Also there's a couple of events going on right now; from noon to 2 PM PST and 8 PM to 10 PM PST for the next few days, all non-secret dungeons are double mana (money) drops, so you can get some money while grinding runes or XP or whatever. They also have a secret dungeon (clear at least a floor of it for a token towards summoning the monster) for the water bounty hunter, who seems pretty non-lovely, for the next week or so.

Heep water Howls if you get them - they awaken cheaply for an AoE heal/cleanse, and I'm betting money that a high-skilled one will be a giant pain in the rear end on defense.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I've added a friends list to the OP as well. Hope we can get more people playing, game is actually pretty good.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

Any plans to get a guild up?

EDIT: Although apparently Goon Squad already exists. Doesn't appear to be SA related.

EDIT2: Is the Starter pack worth it?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

DontMindMe posted:

Any plans to get a guild up?

EDIT: Although apparently Goon Squad already exists. Doesn't appear to be SA related.

EDIT2: Is the Starter pack worth it?

What is the starter pack exactly?

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

DontMindMe posted:

Is the Starter pack worth it?

I picked it up, mostly because after an hour or two of playing I could tell I was going to have at least five dollars worth of fun with the game (also I've had a little iTunes money sitting around for a while). It seemed reasonable for what it cost, if I'm remembering right - it was a mystic scroll, 12 hours of double XP, 150ish crystals, and 10k mana? While you probably won't get anything amazing from the scroll, it'll likely be at least solid enough to lean on for a while, and the rest is a nice push. The XP boost will apply immediately so you might not want to buy it right before you go to bed.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

Zotix posted:

What is the starter pack exactly?

$5 for:
-Mystical Scroll x1
-Unknown Scroll x10
-EXP Booster 12 hrs
-Mana Stone x10000

EDIT:

Ayndin posted:

I picked it up, mostly because after an hour or two of playing I could tell I was going to have at least five dollars worth of fun with the game (also I've had a little iTunes money sitting around for a while). It seemed reasonable for what it cost, if I'm remembering right - it was a mystic scroll, 12 hours of double XP, 150ish crystals, and 10k mana? While you probably won't get anything amazing from the scroll, it'll likely be at least solid enough to lean on for a while, and the rest is a nice push. The XP boost will apply immediately so you might not want to buy it right before you go to bed.

Oh good point. I'll probably wait until tomorrow to enable it.
No crystals in my pack :(

DontMindMe fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 12, 2014

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

DontMindMe posted:

$5 for:
-Mystical Scroll x1
-Unknown Scroll x10
-EXP Booster 12 hrs
-Mana Stone x10000

Yeah, it's probably decent. The mana is a wash as you'll burn 10k using the mystical scroll. The Exp boost is nice, and will help with powering up your characters. The unknown scrolls are basically worthless as you'll be swamped in them. Is it worth it? Probably. If I were to spend money right now, I'd probably knock out a few dungeons and see what kind of limited time packs become available. Stay away from the event one with the Devilmons. I haven't looked closely at them but the rest of the stuff bundled doesn't come close to $50 in my mind. Some of the limited edition bundles are decent. I'd pick up the fairy awakening one if you don't get a better healer early. Any of the Epikon priests are better options than the Fairy. I personally have the Water Epikon priest, and everyone raves about it, but I hear the fire one people are finding out to be a bit better.

They had some decent bundles that just ended yesterday, and I'm sure more bundles will be on their way shortly.

DontMindMe posted:

Always log out and back in when you buy a bundle, most items will be put in the items chest on the left side.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

DontMindMe posted:

No, you had it right, it was the unknown scrolls for me too. I just have the memory of a goldfish. Given the mystic scroll is about 75 crystals and the XP boost works out to around 50, it's cost-effective for the price, assuming that's the kind of thing you'll want. It's a decent push for the early game for sure. You'll be swimming in unknown scrolls before long though.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Just installed this and added my name to the list.

work the balls Sally
Feb 20, 2006
Even as you read this, I'm masturbating to my own post.
I'm in as poonflap, this looks interesting.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I can't get past Giant's Keep 4 in Cairo's island, all of Cairos Island is where the good poo poo is found, but it's also the most difficult.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

Zotix, were you referring to the intermediate pack worth $20? (Angelmons, fairy awakening materials, etc)?

Not sure if I want to drop $20 on a unit I will most likely replace in the future.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

DontMindMe posted:

Zotix, were you referring to the intermediate pack worth $20? (Angelmons, fairy awakening materials, etc)?

Not sure if I want to drop $20 on a unit I will most likely replace in the future.

You could possibly purchase that, but you are right you could replace her at any moment. I personally bought an angelmon pack today for 30. You get 750 crystals, 100 energy, angelmons of the color of your choosing, and 50k mana. It's only available once a day and I'm pretty sure if you decline it, you can't see it again until the next day.

Also, there seems to be a growing consensus that crystal summon is better than mystical summon. Yes you get more mystical summons for the same $ account, but people seem to be having better luck from crystal summon, myself included.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
In as Sirbloody.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
This game already gets my vote as it actually lets you level your critters with actual battles as well as the usual sacrificing thing. It tickles that little bit of my brain that likes to see numbers go up a little better. :unsmith:

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Zotix posted:

You could possibly purchase that, but you are right you could replace her at any moment. I personally bought an angelmon pack today for 30. You get 750 crystals, 100 energy, angelmons of the color of your choosing, and 50k mana. It's only available once a day and I'm pretty sure if you decline it, you can't see it again until the next day.

The fairy is a pretty good unit regardless - her sleep spell, when you awaken her, is handy CC in PvP and such, and outside of a Howl is probably your best healer option not out of the crystal/mystic scroll roulette. That said, she is also not too hard to awaken on your own - you can get the mid/low waters farming B2 of the water dungeon on Wednesday, which should be simple even with basic units, and the mid/low magics whenever from the magic dungeon B2 which is about as hard. That said if you're buying crystals anyway the angelmon pack is a good deal - 750 crystals would run you $30 so everything else is just gravy.

Zotix posted:

Also, there seems to be a growing consensus that crystal summon is better than mystical summon. Yes you get more mystical summons for the same $ account, but people seem to be having better luck from crystal summon, myself included.

It's only one more scroll so if you have a better chance to get not terrible poo poo that way I'm all for it. I'd been saving for a premium pack but I don't care about the angelmons too much (I've got bunches) and you blow all the mana on the scrolls anyway so it's really not a big loss to just do crystal summons. When I hit 750 in a few more days I'll probably do a bunch of those.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I've spent some money already on the game, and all of my good pulls have come from Crystal summon not mystical summon. On the Appinvasion forum as well as the subreddit for the game, most people say crystal summon is getting better results.

Added a Goon chat channel to the OP. It's 9743.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 12, 2014

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

So where should I be grinding early game? I got up to the ice world and the monsters are starting to get too tough for my lv 9-11 monsters

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Garen forest likely. Are you equipping runes to your characters?

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart

DrManiac posted:

So where should I be grinding early game? I got up to the ice world and the monsters are starting to get too tough for my lv 9-11 monsters

everywhere my dude. you're probably close to being able to dungeon forever at your level so go grind out runes your guys need somewhere (fairy likes energy rune bonus for max hp and fatal attack rune bonus because her heal is based on attack power). Ice mountain is hard because you've been relying on your hellhound for damage probably.

there doesn't seem to be any benefit to keeping a strong defense. You tank your own rating but you get to do revenge fights against relatively easy players with whatever arena buffs you've built up (including +glory!!!) and you don't lose your streak if you don't win.

yall have any clues how to fight your friends? it's the last one of the daily missions i need to finish for the Big Bonus.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

MPLS to NOLA posted:

yall have any clues how to fight your friends? it's the last one of the daily missions i need to finish for the Big Bonus.

You aren't actually fighting your friends. It's using a friends leader in your team for a dungeon. Just take one of your guys out and select a leaders monster instead.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

Does anyone know if this works for a Kindle Fire? It's not in the amazon store.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
In as Bell_SA

MMOs & Welfare
Jan 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Someone on my friends list has an awakened fire epikon priest and it is pretty much the best support unit I've seen yet. A heal that targets two of your units by lowest HP, and a shield that makes your team invincible for a turn. If I had one I'd never stop using it.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I have a 4* Water E Priest, and she's amazing. Probably the go to healer right now for most people that can get ahold of one, but the fire priest version is gaining in popularity for arena defense.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart

• Locked thread