Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

HughGRect posted:

So far I am really enjoying this game, but I have a couple noobie type questions:

I read here that you can upgrade a monsters skill levels by feeding them monsters from the same family. Does this hold true if you feed an awakened monster something from the original family? I.E. If I feed three Garudas to Teon (awaken light Garuda) will I still get the skill level increases?

Is the Tranquil Forest building useful enough to justify spending crystals on the cash shop versions? I am only level 12 in game so I can't test for myself but I would be willing to save up crystals if the buildings are worth it.
Number one is yes! This game does not punish you for promoting or awakening your units. Teon will skill up just fine.

The other question is more of a YMMV. Still, with its slow speeds of leveling I find its goof for elemental angelmons you find while playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Tsurupettan posted:

drat, this game gets loving real at Faimon Volcano. :v: I need another good water unit to run in my team so it's all water, or just do it 5-6 times a day off the back of friend's units.

e: I guess I will farm up a water howl.

I don't even know what to do about the sixth stage - I go in with awakened fairy/water werewolf/water serpent/awakened water howl, all at 4* and max level, with at least vaguely decent runes, clear the first two floors slowly but safely, and then get the absolute poo poo kicked out of me at the boss. If they all decide to spam their good attack at you, that's like 7500 in a round, and most of those hits stun; one guy down, I just don't have the damage to clear fast enough for my heals (even from an almost-max-skill Howl) to keep up. The weirdass goats and poo poo are pretty drat tanky on top of that.

It'd probably help if I had a water monster that was offensively worth a drat, but alas - bounty hunter might get there eventually.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

inkmoth posted:

So, I know that evolving a monster resets its level to 1 - but are the individual skill levels reset to 1 for a monster when it evolves?

How about when a skill changes due to Awakening?

So, I said screw it and tried to upgrade a skill before evolving a 2* wolf to a 3* wolf. Just in case I'm not the only idiot wondering if this was a good idea, it's totally fine. My new level 1 3* wolf came with Bite already at level 2.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
And the shitpost we read

Ayndin posted:

It'd probably help if I had a water monster that was offensively worth a drat, but alas - bounty hunter might get there eventually.
I don't think those monsters are even fire at that point and are either darkness or something else. I threw an all-fire team at it and still paid 20 red stones there and 30 on the last boss

MagicAlex
Jan 6, 2007

Woo, I didn't know goons were playing this. In as MagicAlx84 because somehow MagicAlex84 was offensive.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
And the shitpost we read
It's been touched on in other parts of the thread, but one thing that took me a while to figure out regarding runes and might help newbies:

Runes

The runes you run into may be colorful and called by rarities in other games like World of Warcraft, but that color/title has nothing to do with rarity! The higher the "color" the more additional properties your rune will possess, but any rune can be legendary through spending mana to promote your rune to level 3, 6, 9 and 12. Your rune will turn green, blue, purple and gold, picking up a new ability when its color changes.

So what makes a rune trash or treasure? Stars, prefixes and ability (slot 2,4 and 6).

Stars

Every time your rune levels, its primary ability will gain as much benefit as it has stars. You can throw mana into a 1* rune until it's legendary, and it will get a ton of marginal extra abilities, but levelling a 2* rune would give twice the gains on the primary stat. You may take Reddit number-crunchers with a grain of salt, but they came up with the conclusion that for cost-benefit it's worth focusing on jumping from 1* to 3*, and eventually from 3* to 6* because of the huge jump in power 3* has over 1 and 2 (and 6 over 4 & 5)

Prefixes

Like the additional abilities, except it comes free with your rune from the beginning. There's no drop in stats, and depending on how choosy you want to be, enough of the right stat can push your critters into specialized roles.

Ability

Guides tend to go into detail on this last one: All your rune slots form a star, and the point going straight up is Slot 1. The spot to its right is Slot 2 and it continues clockwise. All runes in the game are labelled with a number showing which slot they fit in to help you out. Like the OP says, runes for each slot drop in the corresponding level of the area they are in. The area boss on level 7 can drop a rune to a random slot.

This is useful for finding a good rune to complete that set bonus, but it's also important because while odd-slotted runes always have the same primary ability, Slot 2/4/6 runes can spawn with a variety of primary abilities, which is where heavy OCD farming takes place later in the game.

Between the set bonus, The number of stars your runes have and their primary ability, you can fashion combinations around your monsters according to the rune builds and make the tankiest tanks, obnoxiously durable healers, hard-hitting fighters and gimmicky support that does broken things.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

In as CoolbearSA.

Been playing for a while and I have a pretty decent blue team, but my other mons are still kinda lacking. I have barely any red ones that are worth anything, aside from maybe a hellhound.

How sure are people that they're going to increase the pull rates of 4 and 5* guys?

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jul 19, 2014

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
So you can find 3-6* runes in Hell difficulty?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
And the shitpost we read
^ Probably! I'm finding three stars on hard modes of the early dungeons.

If not, maybe you'll need to farm the dungeon giant. He's where you farm the Despair runes (stun proc chance) but he drops other runes too.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Cryohazard posted:

So you can find 3-6* runes in Hell difficulty?

You can find 5*, my suspicion is that it's locked behind account level. I didn't see a 5* rune drop from a hell mode dungeon until account level 25.

Acidix
Aug 8, 2007

Winner of the terrible contest
I'm having a weird issue. I can connect via Wifi, but when I try to connect via 4g, I can't. Has anyone encountered this before?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Acidix posted:

I'm having a weird issue. I can connect via Wifi, but when I try to connect via 4g, I can't. Has anyone encountered this before?

I can't either, actually. I tried to play on the road yesterday and it just didn't loving work at all.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

I can't even play the game at all anymore. I signed up for the 10 crystals and now the game gets stuck on the touch to start screen unless I want to uninstall and reinstall the game every single time.

Oh well, the game was fun for a couple of days

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Is there a second goon guild? TGS is packed. in as SANink

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

In as Duxwig.
Not quite sure all what I'm doing, or if my guys are just low level(level 10-15, fairy3*, inferno3*, pierret3*, bounty hunter3*) is all what I have currently. Other stuff like Garuda3*, Serpent3*, Golem, Rainbow Angelmon, Hellhound, Viking.

I'm up to Telain Forest and have beat all the Garen Forest hard modes. Character level 9. Should I be using lovely unknown summon scroll fodder like slime, trees, whatever to powerup my monsters?

Edit: do the arena buffs carry over to PvE?

Duxwig fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 19, 2014

MMOs & Welfare
Jan 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Duxwig posted:

In as Duxwig.
Not quite sure all what I'm doing, or if my guys are just low level(level 10-15, fairy3*, inferno3*, pierret3*, bounty hunter3*) is all what I have currently. Other stuff like Garuda3*, Serpent3*, Golem, Rainbow Angelmon, Hellhound, Viking.

I'm up to Telain Forest and have beat all the Garen Forest hard modes. Character level 9. Should I be using lovely unknown summon scroll fodder like slime, trees, whatever to powerup my monsters?

The short answer is yes, anything below three stars except for Rainbow Angelmon is powerup fodder. Eventually you will want to look at keeping certain two star mobs, though.

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

Another one, Def% or Def # initially? I'd think # as you wouldnt be decked out for % to make that much difference? When does % become more useful?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Maybe percents? I know for attack percents are the way to go on any rune that you can put them on.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
After buying that mana golem I just realized ut will be 100 days til this investment pays off. I am stupid.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Anyone know what causes the 1.5x exp when powering up monsters?

Rianlee
Jan 15, 2009
Pillbug
Newbie Question: Evolution only requires levels and not mats, right? Also if I evolve a 3 star to a 4 star, the awakening materials required stay the same or no?

zeesik
Nov 30, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Rianlee posted:

Newbie Question: Evolution only requires levels and not mats, right? Also if I evolve a 3 star to a 4 star, the awakening materials required stay the same or no?

Yes to all that. Another thing is that only the same monster type is required to upgrade skills. Doesn't matter if the element is different. Also your skill gets upgraded if you use the same monster type for evolution material.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Bell_ posted:

This is useful for finding a good rune to complete that set bonus, but it's also important because while odd-slotted runes always have the same primary ability, Slot 2/4/6 runes can spawn with a variety of primary abilities, which is where heavy OCD farming takes place later in the game.

For reference, slot 1 is +attack, 3 is +def, 5 is +hp.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Duxwig posted:

Another one, Def% or Def # initially? I'd think # as you wouldnt be decked out for % to make that much difference? When does % become more useful?

Just looking at math, %'s will beat out flat numbers at the high end, but if you have a choice of 3% defense or 5 defense with say... 100 base defense. You get 3 from 3% and 5 from flat. If you're not going to take it up very high, I'd go with flat. If you're going to bring runes to +9 or higher, you most definitely want percents.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Horking Delight posted:

In as CoolbearSA.

Been playing for a while and I have a pretty decent blue team, but my other mons are still kinda lacking. I have barely any red ones that are worth anything, aside from maybe a hellhound.

How sure are people that they're going to increase the pull rates of 4 and 5* guys?

Personally, 'not very'.

Also the good news is that you can farm a pretty decent fire team. Also a reasonable wind team; it's water that is sort of challenging to make a good found team for. This is as good a place as any for a guide:

Good Farmable Monsters

This includes 'stuff commonly pulled out of Unknown Scrolls/the store', because while you may not be able to grind for them by running levels, you'll be able to get multiple over time without much effort. I'm not going to include stuff found primarily in secret dungeons, as while that's technically grindable, it's a total crapshoot if you'll get one, and once you do it can be tricky to grind out all the pieces you need in an hour.

Water 2*
Howl (Lulu) - Cheap to awaken and easy to skill, with a little work she's going to be a better healer than the starter fairy, and probably almost any other sub 4*. With max skill she can be healing easily three out of four turns, and her attack gets her ready to go again more quickly. I can't emphasize how good this monster is, really; unless you have some bullshit amazing luxury healer you should get one. Found in the Hydeni Ruins.

Wind 2*
Imp (Ralph) - Total glass cannon, but seems pretty decent at it for how easy he is to get/awaken; haven't gotten the chance to use him much yet, but watching his stats as he levels he seems legit. Unknown scrolls/store only.
Warbear (Ramagos) - Tanky as hell. Has a primary attack that does bonus damage with high HP, and a self heal/defense boost, so pretty good combo there. When awakened, gets an attack that does more damage with the more damage he's taken so far, which is amazing for oneshotting obnoxious poo poo like Rina. Unknown scrolls/shop only, though the blue/red variants drop in Mt. White Ragon and Telain Forest repsectivey.

Fire 2*
Hellhound (Seiq) - Glass cannon, though his default attack heals him. Gets a party attack buff when awakened, which is good considering how offence-oriented fire usually is. Not the most amazing monster, but pretty serviceable till you can find something better, and not hard to awaken. Starter, drops in Volcano.
Harpu (Colleen) - An HP-disturbing attack and a party heal/buff when awakened makes her a pretty great support for your fire team. Good option if you want a buffer/secondary healer for a fire team. Unknown scrolls/shop only, but skillups drop in Kabir Ruins.
Imp (Cogma) - Another cheap glass cannon attacker. Trades the wind one's AoE for a nasty debuffing single target attack. Unknown scrolls/shop only.

Water 3*
Warbear (Dagora) - Another big fat blob of HP. He's got the same two first/second abilities as Ramagos, but gets a self-rez instead when awakened. Reasonable for defensive teams. Drops in Mt. White Ragon.
Inugami (Icaru) - Okay, but nothing special; Team Up can do good damage, and he can lower defense, and the counterattacks are annoying I suppose. Wishes he were Raoq. You can get it out of Garen Forest.

Wind 3*
Serpent (Ermeda) - Tanky as gently caress, takes normal damage from fire as opposed to double. Skills are nothing to write home about but he'll always take an age for enemies to whittle down. Drops in the Desert.
Griffon (Bernard) - Good support/attack mix - has a full team speed/gauge boost, and does damage based on speed, so can get some good turn advantage. Drops in the Desert.
High Elemental (Moria) - Reasonable attacker with a bloodsucking special; not necessarily a longterm keeper, but not absolute trash. Pretty fragile though. Drops in Kabir Ruins, skillups drop in Hydeni and Vrofagus Ruins.
Harpy (Prilea) - Like the High Elemental, an okay attacker. Trades bloodsuck for some mild AoE. Also drops in the Kabir Ruins.

Fire 3*
Inugami (Raoq) - A murder machine, even worse when he gets awakened and his basic attack can multihit for completely ridiculous amounts of damage - I've seen him oneshot hard mode stage bosses with it. Team Up can do frightening amounts of damage if your party members are really strong, and his bonus attacks will let it cool down faster. Drops in the Volcano; farm one of these as soon as you can.
Golem (Kugo) - Super tanky, does damage based on defense so you can just stack defense exclusively on him. Paired with a decent healer, he can verge on the unkillable. Has an AoE DoT skill, too, nicely suiting his preferred MO. Drops in Mt. Siz.
Werewolf (Garoche) - Heals 10% max HP every turn. As you can guess this can make him a more offensive-oriented tank - you give him good speed and a decent HP pool to let the heals keep him up while he slashes things up. Has a stun and a recovery-blocking attack, so pretty useful. Drops in the Volcano.

Ayndin fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 19, 2014

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

The 'tier list' really favors the fire griffon but I have mine almost max leveled and I'm not really feeling it. Is there something I'm missing? I want to put a red team together now that I finally got my Harpu, so I'm trying to figure out what to put in it between:

Pierret, Griffon, Harpu, Inferno, Bounty Hunter, Inugami, Hellhound, and I have most of the fire archer pieces.

Inugami and Pierret are shoe-ins obviously and Harpu adds some much needed defensive sustain, but the rest I'm at a loss. Hellhound still hits like a fuckin' truck though and the buff will work very nicely for everyone else.

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

Just got a water Epikion Priest and battled her up to 14, took out my fairy.
Now I'm running Priest, Inferno19, Pierret17, and cant decide if I should use Bounty Hunter, Gaurda3*. I also got a red vagabond, golem, and water warbear but I think BH or Gar are better than those?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

For supports that heal percentage-based HP like Fire Harpu and Water Howl, what runes are you putting on them? Energy, with a focus on defense and hp?

I got a rainbow angel thing and not sure what to do with it.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 20, 2014

MMOs & Welfare
Jan 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Tsurupettan posted:

For supports that heal percentage-based HP like Fire Harpu and Water Howl, what runes are you putting on them? Energy, with a focus on defense and hp?

I got a rainbow angel thing and not sure what to do with it.

Evolve it and consider it a free 3* for evolving something else.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

So bringing along a friend monster is really great for power levelling lowbies since it shares the same experience between fewer monsters, but does anyone know if it works the same way with your own max-levelled monsters? Power levelling seems pretty generous overall since even if they die they still seem to get full(?) experience.

Iakona
Jan 24, 2006

I'm in under IakonaSA if anyone wants to add me. I have no friends so far.

Xeerot
Jul 5, 2007

Tsurupettan posted:

I can't either, actually. I tried to play on the road yesterday and it just didn't loving work at all.

By any chance are the people having this issue using T-Mobile? I am only able to connect via wifi or through a vpn/proxy and am using T-Mobile. There was a discussion about it on reddit awhile back and it seems that T-Mobile phones are being blocked by the server for whatever reason. Link to the discussion here.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Xeerot posted:

By any chance are the people having this issue using T-Mobile? I am only able to connect via wifi or through a vpn/proxy and am using T-Mobile. There was a discussion about it on reddit awhile back and it seems that T-Mobile phones are being blocked by the server for whatever reason. Link to the discussion here.

Yes I am on T-Mobile too.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I think there's a bug that causes a teammember to auto attack. This has nothing to do with provocation abilities, as I wasn't under the effect of anything, nor was there a provocation ability by the enemy. I'm not doing auto battle, and I'm watching characters auto attack after I attack with one character. I hope they address this, as in harder difficulties it could cause you to lose a battle.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So how is everyone getting the 3 star mons needed to evo their dudes? I really don't seem to be getting all that many. Also anyone have any suggestions on what I should keep / toss?

work the balls Sally
Feb 20, 2006
Even as you read this, I'm masturbating to my own post.
Any decent place to pick up a wind bearman? Or are scrolls and secret dungeons my only hope?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
And the shitpost we read

Annexed posted:

So how is everyone getting the 3 star mons needed to evo their dudes? I really don't seem to be getting all that many. Also anyone have any suggestions on what I should keep / toss?
Ways to get three stars:
-Buying mystic scrolls when they show up in magic shop (sort of later in the game, since they're expensive!)
-Combining a max-levelled two star with two more two stars
-The same as above, but with two star angelmon that spawn at max level (basically, free 3* food if you get a couple 2* to evolve it)
-whale away at stacks of red gems
-farm 3* drops. You can check in zone information which monsters drop where, but be warned they are a bit rare and you may be at it for a while. On the other hand, these monsters (and their 2* cousins) are often really effective.

Edit: There's more!

Run daily dungeons until you discover a secret dungeon for a given monster, which may be three stars. Pieces of a scroll to summon that monster will drop depending on how many waves you can survive in the secret dungeon. The dungeon is only open for an hour, but anybody on your friends list can ALSO enter that dungeon. For each friend that also goes to the dungeon you spawned, you get a bonus piece. It can add up quickly if you have a bunch of goons or pubbies and it's a desired monster.

Double edit response vvvvvvvvvv

I haven't tried it, but I think others said it works.

The thing about skill-gain in THIS game is, it's guaranteed! (as long as the monster shares the same family, regardless of element or whether it's awakened)

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 20, 2014

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bell_ posted:

Ways to get three stars:
-Buying mystic scrolls when they show up in magic shop (sort of later in the game, since they're expensive!)
-Combining a max-levelled two star with two more two stars
-The same as above, but with two star angelmon that spawn at max level (basically, free 3* food if you get a couple 2* to evolve it)
-whale away at stacks of red gems
-farm 3* drops. You can check in zone information which monsters drop where, but be warned they are a bit rare and you may be at it for a while. On the other hand, these monsters (and their 2* cousins) are often really effective.

OK thanks. That is pretty much what I am doing at the moment.

If I evo a monster with 3 of the same monster do I get a chance for a skill up?

MMOs & Welfare
Jan 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Annexed posted:

OK thanks. That is pretty much what I am doing at the moment.

If I evo a monster with 3 of the same monster do I get a chance for a skill up?

You'd get 3 skillups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acidix
Aug 8, 2007

Winner of the terrible contest

Tsurupettan posted:

Yes I am on T-Mobile too.

I am on T-mo, and I'm getting this issue as well.

• Locked thread